Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Star Trek The Original Series
Thanks Murrow
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Notable from a review (my comments in italics):

(IMPORTANT UPDATE: YouTube (as of 2015) now features episodes of the original series, side by side comparing the original footage with the new CGI versions. If you are not aware of the differences, be sure to watch these YouTube clips (look for TrekkieChannel) and read this review, so you know exactly what you are getting before you buy. Hopefully they are still up.)

** I watched some of these. I had no idea that so many background shots had been re-done. Planets look more like planets, Enterprise looks less like a toy on a string etc.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE OLD VERSIONS as seen on network and in syndication from the 1960s to the early 2000s with the original (Matt Jefferies) special effects and space shots, and original opening credits, you want the set that comes in the RETRO EGG boxes (colored in the colors of the uniforms: mustard yellow, Sky blue, and red). These are the versions that long time fans remember. The original footage was cleaned up (a first round of "remastering" years ago) but kept intact. The 1960s special effects, which were state of the art at the time, are intact.

*** Even after viewing some side by side comparisons between original and CGI versions, I opted to find a used set of Originals for almost the same price ($50 vs $45 for DVD). I doubt they'd ever do the original effects in blue ray...

Two reviewer comments:

"THE BLU-RAY SET OFFERS BOTH OLD AND NEW VERSIONS OF THE EPISODES IN THE SAME SET, and apparently even lets you toggle between the two. Of course, you would need a Blu-Ray player."

"The whole reason I bought Blu-Ray was to watch this show in either format. You can even switch between old and new using the angle button to compare the two while you're watching. It's great! Not to mention you get a copy of the original "Where No man has Gone Before" episode that looks like a Quinn Martin production (in the third season group). There are no cuts or edits anywhere. That's only on TV."

My copy hasn't arrived yet so I cannot confirm or deny.

Amazon is temporarily out of stock at the moment, but you can still order and it will be shipped when they get more in.

Wow. Missed that. Good to know. However, another comment says:

As for the Blu-Ray discs I found I cannot get rid of the annoying angle symbol that keeps popping up to give you a choice to change from Old effect footage or new CGI effects.

I'll stick to the older egg style for now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017