• filter:
This deal has expired.

Dell Inspiron 13 2-in-1 Touch Laptop: i5-6200U, 13.3" 1080p, 128GB SSD $400 FSP @ OD

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Before you make your claims, read the fine print.  The Dell machine that you linked to at $499 has a Pentium processor a... (more)

duhmel (Jan. 19, 2017 @ 1:08a) |

Ordered it, thanks.

sengven (Jan. 19, 2017 @ 1:46a) |

DEAD!!!

Still shows one on website but after I order it I get a cancelled email.

duhmel (Jan. 19, 2017 @ 6:52p) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My local butcher also sells lamb chops at 2 cents a pound when he doesn't have it in stock. What a joke.

rated:
Seems like good specs for the price, and every store near me has them stock. Anyone have any experience with this machine?

rated:
Please tell us what area has these in stock?

rated:
Can it do 4k video streaming?

rated:
jpessin3 said:   Please tell us what area has these in stock?
  Only store near me in Bloomington IN and it shows 1 in stock, plus I can order for delivery and get a freebie from the OD banner ad.  Not sure if online availability depends on your area or not.

rated:
Ordered online with no issue. Hopefully it goes through. I have the i7 version of this and it performs well. This will be for my father.

rated:
Looks like its available for shipping now, just placed order.

rated:
For browsing and other basic media consumption, this'll be just fine. 4GB RAM will limit it to this and not much else, and the itty bitty 128GB drive further limits its usefulness. i5 processor is overkill on something with so little memory and storage.

Thanks for the effort, OP. Too bad it's basically just a tablet with a keyboard.

rated:
noapathy said:   For browsing and other basic media consumption, this'll be just fine. 4GB RAM will limit it to this and not much else, and the itty bitty 128GB drive further limits its usefulness. i5 processor is overkill on something with so little memory and storage.

Thanks for the effort, OP. Too bad it's basically just a tablet with a keyboard.

I would much rather have a 128GB SSD any day over spending the same for a laptop with a 500GB spinner! As for the ram, it's cheap and easy to upgrade to 8GB, not a deal breaker. Atleast you can upgrade, unlike being stuck with a slow processor...

rated:
Before you purchase, read this review http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-13-5000 The regular price on this one is really $499, not $699 MSRP as Office Depot likes you to think. You're getting what you pay for. The $100 (real) discount is nice, but not worth flipping out on. If you're in the market for something like this, pounce. If not, pass.

rated:
keaton85 said:   
noapathy said:   For browsing and other basic media consumption, this'll be just fine. 4GB RAM will limit it to this and not much else, and the itty bitty 128GB drive further limits its usefulness. i5 processor is overkill on something with so little memory and storage.

I would much rather have a 128GB SSD any day over spending the same for a laptop with a 500GB spinner! As for the ram, it's cheap and easy to upgrade to 8GB, not a deal breaker. Atleast you can upgrade, unlike being stuck with a slow processor...

It says in the specs "MEMORY IS NOT EXPANDABLE."

rated:
jpessin3 said:   
keaton85 said:   

umm, ok, this machine is pretty much useless long term...

rated:
I was just about to snag one of these, but then I read the reviews that even though the display is 1080p, it's kind of grainy and not that bright.

rated:
keaton85 said:   
jpessin3 said:   
keaton85 said:   

umm, ok, this machine is pretty much useless long term...

Sad, but true. And not the only example of this...and we wonder why the computer industry struggles to sell new machines?

rated:
I noticed that too, but I've seen YouTube videos showing that the memory and hard drive can be replaced. 

rated:

I have a similar system and it has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it without a problem, including an Office software suite and a number of financial programs.  With everything loaded there is still 50GB free.  Unless people are into gaming or work with heavy graphics this system will probably work just fine for them.

rated:
RAM  says 4 GB and not upgradable.  IMHO with Win 10 you need 8 GB minimum.  I have a surface with 4 GB and it is painful.  

rated:
cybercho said:   Before you purchase, read this review http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-13-5000  The regular price on this one is really $499, not $699 MSRP as Office Depot likes you to think. You're getting what you pay for. The $100 (real) discount is nice, but not worth flipping out on. If you're in the market for something like this, pounce. If not, pass.
That article was written in August, 2016. Maybe Dell had similar configs available for $499 back then (with an i5), but not now (and I doubt back then too). See the embedded link to Dell in the article you quoted:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-13-5368-2...

The $499.99 models at the link above currently come w/ either an "Intel® Pentium Processor 4405U" or "6th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-6100U Processor," neither of which is a "6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 processor" (which is what the OD offering contains).  Additionally, the $499.99 Dell offerings come with a 500GB 5400rpm HD. While that's about 4x as much disk space as 128GB, a 5400rpm drive has nowhere near the performance of an SSD. The OD product page lists the graphics adapter as "Integrated Intel HD Graphics 520", which matches the graphics adapter of the i3 offering @ Dell. The 7th Gen i5 and i7 models @ Dell currently come with the "Intel® HD Graphics 620," where Dell has i5 model "on-sale" for $679.99, which is $280 more than the OD offering.  That said, the Dell  offering includes a faster 7th Gen i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a MUCH larger 1TB 5400rpm HD (but still much slower, performance-wise).  When attempting to customize the i5 config @ Dell, I see no option for upgrade/switching to an SSD.  If I have to spend $$$ to replace the HD on my own, I'm sure I can get an 8GB chip for a lot less than $280.

In short, it appears that the 6th gen i5 model @ OD has been appropriately marked down to $400.  If the RAM and HD can in fact be upgraded (where I see no reason the HD can't be upgraded and would be VERY surprised if RAM couldn't be upgraded either, regardless of the claim that it can't be upgraded), then that makes this an even more compelling offering.  Since the 7th Gen CPU models (i5 and i7) @ Dell  come w/ 8GB of RAM, IMO there's a decent chance the 6th gen units can be upgraded to 8GB as well.  If there's only 1 RAM socket though, that'll entail replacing the 4GB chip w/ an 8GB chip (rather than just adding an additional 4GB chip), making the upgrade a bit more expensive.  Still, I'll still take a $280 savings for a slightly slower CPU, then use that savings to get both more RAM and a large SSD (with $$$ to spare).

All that said, I don't need this laptop, so I'm out.

rated:
Here's a Youtube video showing this laptop being opened up to upgrade/replace its RAM and HD (with an SSD):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7OVJmkkiw

As can be seen in the video above, there are two RAM sockets. According to the author, RAM can be upgraded to 32GB (i.e. 16GB x 2).  It also uses a normal 2.5" sized HD, not an M.2 or mSata style drive.  M.2 / mSata drives are by definition SSD, but they're typically more expensive than 2.5" SSD's.

rated:
cybercho said:   Before you purchase, read this review http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-inspiron-13-5000  The regular price on this one is really $499, not $699 MSRP as Office Depot likes you to think. You're getting what you pay for. The $100 (real) discount is nice, but not worth flipping out on. If you're in the market for something like this, pounce. If not, pass.
  Before you make your claims, read the fine print.  The Dell machine that you linked to at $499 has a Pentium processor and a 500Gb HD.  The upgrade to a SSD and a i5 processor adds at least $150.

rated:
Ordered it, thanks.

rated:
DEAD!!!

Still shows one on website but after I order it I get a cancelled email.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017