• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Moderator Comment: Thank you for participating in the forums. However, this topic has been covered in a recent post Here. — Jan. 18, 2017 @ 1:09pm
Member Summary

amazon (13.04kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Just wondering.....has anyone gotten the $100 AMZ GC after signing up? I signed up back in January, but the installation... (more)

mmyk72 (Mar. 06, 2017 @ 11:47a) |

UCLA had T1, so 100mpbs sounds about right.

hawk311 (Mar. 06, 2017 @ 12:02p) |

I had mediaone cable broadband in the high-rise I lived in in Marina del Rey, CA, in the late 90's.

chibimike (Mar. 06, 2017 @ 12:20p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
starstarw said:   https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Internet-Exclusive-Customer-12-month/dp/B01B6ZI2Y8
  Comcastic!  (Or craptastic, depending on your love for Comcast)...

rated:
only for new customers. why i have to threaten to leave comcast everytime to get into offers?

rated:
Kanio said:   only for new customers. why i have to threaten to leave comcast everytime to get into offers?
  i was a customer, signed up through Amazon last time and it created a new account and i was able to use it. 

rated:
10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.

rated:
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

rated:
Well not worth the price even for 25mbps - you know it is comcast.

rated:
Depends on the area. For me, 10MB shows $45 a month, but 25MB shows $30

rated:
We're sorry but this package isn't available in your area. Please select another package.

rated:
I was anyway going to order this 25mbps package from comcast. A $100 Amazon gift card is a bonus... Thanks OP !!!

rated:
miserly said:   
Kanio said:   only for new customers. why i have to threaten to leave comcast everytime to get into offers?
  i was a customer, signed up through Amazon last time and it created a new account and i was able to use it. 

  So how did you do this?  Do you cancel your old account when you get the self install package?  What order do you do this in?

 

rated:
I have heard of Chromecast. You can stream music and Videos using that device.

But what is Comcast? does it stream commercials?

rated:
I just signed up for 25 Mbps for $30/mo (no terms).  Are you guys getting the installation charge of $60 waived?  I called the number provided after signing up.  The CS was very nice and said he couldn't find a way to waive the fee but gave me $20 credit.   I know a Tech needs to come out and do something at the telephone pole for me, so a self-installation typically doesn't work in my case.

Thanks OP - I actually planned to switch to Comcast in the next few months anyway.  There are only 2 providers in my area.  My current internet (RCN) is $35 for 50 Mbps (very good deal) but that price goes way up in a few months and I was told I'm not eligible for any discounts since I have been on their promo price for too long.  This will allow me another year of cheaper Internet and when that is up, I can switch back to RCN as a new customer unless Comcast lets me continue the same price for another yr.

rated:
For the 10M it says for 1 device. I hope that doesn't mean 1 PC but rather 1 router so many devices can be connected behind it.

rated:
shallot said:   For the 10M it says for 1 device. I hope that doesn't mean 1 PC but rather 1 router so many devices can be connected behind it.
  You can connect as many PC,smartphone, streaming device as you want to your 1 router, but realistically they will be painfully slow if more than 1 is using wifi data.

rated:
Thanks OP!
I was also about to do my annual switch back to Comcast to get the promo rate that they only give you for a year. This worked out perfectly for me!

rated:
I'm hesitant to try it out considering the large number of complaints against Comcast. Also these days 10MB makes for very slow streaming. Does anyone have comments about their experiences so far?

I may use the deal as leverage to bargain down my current internet bill though!

rated:
Question - those who have signed up using Amazon. What happens once you order? Do you have to call comcast with an order number or something so they can activate the service?

I currently have comcast, but will probably have to threaten to cancel or switch account to my name to get on this offer. I am trying to find out how to do this without having a significant interruption in service

rated:
When you sign up, it requires you to enter personal info including SSN to run as credit check. After that you pick an installation time and date. Unless you have a problem, no call is necessary. You get a summary of your order at the end.

rated:
quaters said:   
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

  I signed up for a beta of first gen cable internet in 1997. I believe ADSL also existed around that time (memory is a little foggy when it was introduced). Though I think the cable internet was 1 or 2 mbps at the time, and the local ADSL was 3mbps (symmetric). Anyways, it was possible in 1997, though not widely available and not 15mbps. T3 lines (~45Mbps) were possible at the time, though they were seriously expensive ($5000+ /mo)
 

rated:
quaters said:   
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

  In '97 I had 100mbps in my dorm room.  Woohoo for ethernet 1 step from the backbone.  God those were the good old days!


~~
Regular Price:$49.95/monthPromo Price:$19.99/month for 12 months 
$49.95/month after 12 months  Excludes Equipment leasing  |  Installation charges (if applicable)  |  Taxes and fees 
Amazon %20Gift%20Card
$100 Amazon. com Gift Card. Offer ends 01/23.
 To get your Gift Card, simply order this service through Amazon. com, activate your service and remain an active XFINITY customer for at least 45 days. You'll automatically receive the Gift Card in your Amazon account 45 days after placing your order. Offer ends on 1/23/17 at 11:59PM PT. Terms and Conditions


Interesting...  I pay ~$40 for 2 months and keep the $100/Amazon. ..  sure!

rated:
novocane said:   
quaters said:   
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

  I signed up for a beta of first gen cable internet in 1997. I believe ADSL also existed around that time (memory is a little foggy when it was introduced). Though I think the cable internet was 1 or 2 mbps at the time, and the local ADSL was 3mbps (symmetric). Anyways, it was possible in 1997, though not widely available and not 15mbps. T3 lines (~45Mbps) were possible at the time, though they were seriously expensive ($5000+ /mo)

  
I believe the 'In' thing in 1997 for IT workers working from home was an ISDN line which I believe delivered 128kbs for about $100 per month.  Key IT employees might get two ISDN lines.

I think I had 56kbs modem, which through some twisted, legal logic was limited to 53kbs.  Ameritech had some 250 plan (250 untimed local calls) for like $20 per month.  I think my bill always came with about 10 calls totaling 40,000 minutes. 

I also remember a brief period at that time where you could install two modems and special software to shotgun your internet connection, but I couldn't justify the second phone line.

ahh the memories.

rated:
Forgot to add.

Green for OP. Good price for light internet users. Good enough even for Netflix/Youtube.

rated:
Time Warner Roadrunner is at 70 Mbps now and soon 100 will be standard.

rated:
its just an internet provider....

rated:
by the way, how to avoid the $59.99 installation fee for this order?

We have everything in the house, and we don't really need their service on this.

we have modem+router, and previous owner of the house used Comcast and they have all the cables and connections.

rated:
Regarding 10MBPS being too slow for streaming, that's incorrect. We putting Internet into a cottage and got 10 MBPS. Streamed just fine for Comcast site as well as Amazon. No reason to pay for more. Plenty of online calculators for this. We pay $19.99 a month.

rated:
Too bad comcast is the devil

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   Regarding 10MBPS being too slow for streaming, that's incorrect. We putting Internet into a cottage and got 10 MBPS. Streamed just fine for Comcast site as well as Amazon.  No reason to pay for more. Plenty of online calculators for this. We pay $19.99 a month.
  problem is Comcast charges more for10 Mbps than 25 Mbps for my area.

rated:
skarydrunkguy said:   
quaters said:   
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

  In '97 I had 100mbps in my dorm room.  Woohoo for ethernet 1 step from the backbone.  God those were the good old days!

 

Another confusion between Kbps vs Mbps for sure here  

rated:
chenrippirrific said:   by the way, how to avoid the $59.99 installation fee for this order?

We have everything in the house, and we don't really need their service on this.

we have modem+router, and previous owner of the house used Comcast and they have all the cables and connections.

  

I am going to try to call to cancel it. I also hope I can delay activation beyond Jan 31.

rated:
At the end of the order does it tell you the exact installation charge? My house never has cable service before so they need to run the wire from the box through the back yard to my house. I check before and was told it would cause around $60 but on Amazon it only said $0-$200, I don't want want to get charge $200 for installation.

rated:
TurtlePower5678 said:   Too bad comcast is the devil
  And we have no other choice, only Comcast and AT&T Uverse available in my zip code. I wish Google Fiber or AT&T Fiber would come but I don't see it in the near future.
I'm paying $49.99 for 25 MB

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   
chenrippirrific said:   by the way, how to avoid the $59.99 installation fee for this order?

We have everything in the house, and we don't really need their service on this.

we have modem+router, and previous owner of the house used Comcast and they have all the cables and connections.

  

I am going to try to call to cancel it. I also hope I can delay activation beyond Jan 31.

 The online tool (right after you pass credit check) let's you select an activation date out to Feb 6 (as of yesterday).   I needed an activation / install date later than that, so I called CS and they were able to lock in an appt in mid-Feb for me.

rated:
looking4deal said:   At the end of the order does it tell you the exact installation charge? My house never has cable service before so they need to run the wire from the box through the back yard to my house. I check before and was told it would cause around $60 but on Amazon it only said $0-$200, I don't want want to get charge $200 for installation.
  The installation charge automatically added in $60 to the order at the very end. 

rated:
mmyk72 said:   
looking4deal said:   At the end of the order does it tell you the exact installation charge? My house never has cable service before so they need to run the wire from the box through the back yard to my house. I check before and was told it would cause around $60 but on Amazon it only said $0-$200, I don't want want to get charge $200 for installation.
  The installation charge automatically added in $60 to the order at the very end. 

  Installation is $90 for me. I chatted with Amazon and was told I can cancel after purchase by calling Comcast.

rated:
Is a credit check run? on Xfinity website I see an option to set up auto-pay and skip the credit check OR pay a deposit and skip the credit check

Edit ; going thru xfinity site is better since this involves a credit check. There are better avenues to make more than $100 for a credit check

rated:
ahlex said:   
skarydrunkguy said:   
quaters said:   
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

  In '97 I had 100mbps in my dorm room.  Woohoo for ethernet 1 step from the backbone.  God those were the good old days!

 

Another confusion between Kbps vs Mbps for sure here  
 


nope.  don't be ignorant and assumptive.

freshly installed in 1997, two of the dorms on campus were wired with 100MBPS (aka fast ethernet) connections.  It took 3 more years to wire the rest of the residences on campus - I made a pretty penny freelancing PC installs, repairs, and upgrades to dorm kids who paid me with daddy's money. 

I used to download a full CD ISO (7-800mb) way faster than it took to copy it to my external hard drive (USB 1.0 days back then - heck, lots of people were still on ps/2).  It was a magical time in my life.  No internet connection I've had in the last 20 years has come close to those speeds - including the time I had 75mbps comcast service ~3 years ago. Currently I have 10mbps and, while painfully slow in comparison, it streams and downloads and surfs just fine for my purposes these days.

 

rated:
ericwuyq said:   We're sorry but this package isn't available in your area. Please select another package.
  
I get the same.

Only game in town = no discount for you. Aren't monopolies grand?

Skipping 5 Messages...
rated:
ahlex said:   
skarydrunkguy said:   
quaters said:   
chibimike said:   10Mb in 2017? I had 15Mb, 20 years ago.
I think you might be confused...

In 1997 you were lucky to get 56 kbit/s or 14.4 kbit/s (in your case) not mbit/s.

  In '97 I had 100mbps in my dorm room.  Woohoo for ethernet 1 step from the backbone.  God those were the good old days!

 

Another confusion between Kbps vs Mbps for sure here  

  

I had mediaone cable broadband in the high-rise I lived in in Marina del Rey, CA, in the late 90's.  

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017