HP Desktop PC 8200 w/ Core i5, 8GB, 500GB HDD, Win 10 Pro (Refurbished) - $199.99 FS @ Newegg.com - DotD

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

HP8200
Disclaimer
For one day only, Newegg has the HP Desktop PC 8200 w/ Core i5, 8GB, 500GB HDD, Win 10 Pro (Refurbished) on sale for $199.99 with free shipping

Deal Notes: Newegg does not list the speed for the processor or the hard drive. However HP's website lists the Core i5 options as being either 3.1GHz or 3.3GHz. The hard drives are all 7200 or higher. 

• Intel Core i5
  • 8GB Memory
  • 500GB Hard Drive
  • DVD Drive
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 90 Day Warranty

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

At least the i5 processor is a quad core, not just a dual core.  Per the HP website it is ono of these:

• Intel Core i5-2500 (3.30 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)
  • Intel Core i5-2400 (3.10 GHz, 6MB cache, 4 cores)

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03412787

A search for this model reveals:
link

core i5 - 2nd gen.

so how good of a deal is this seeing its a referb

This should be $150 at most.

The second gen i5 was introduced last quarter of 2010. This slim form factor computer was made around 2011, so it's 6 years old. Upgrading a slim form-factor computer is hard and expensive, if even possible. Forget this old relic and put your hard earned money towards a much newer computer.

I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

The way I look at it is, can you get a similar but better desktop with windows on it for $200. It may be a number of generations old but the kind of person who is buying refurb micro desktops aren't looking for maximum performance or they would buy a new computer with new gen processor and pay at least double. It's about a minimum cost desktop for those who aren't going to put together their own computer. Can you get better deals occasionally on eBay, sure, are they from sellers that are trustable, sometimes. Also since they won't build their own computers they also aren't likely to upgrade it either.

In the end it's still quad core 3.0GHz which for average person who just wants a web surfer and/or a cheap htpc this would work fine. This isn't for people who are trying to game in any serious way. This plays the retro steam games, watching netflix on your big screen, and surfs the web.

You say "$150 at most", "wouldn't pay $100", but I don't see those deals (with these kind of specs) or I would post them. Neither of you are the kind of person who would buy a computer like this, nor would you need to or get anything out of it.

The key to deals like this is that you get a windows copy. If you didn't need that or more people were willing to use Linux, $200 gets you a lot more computer. Also if you are willing to take higher risks with non-manufacturer refurbs (I'm not), you can get more for your $$.

I would cede the point that this is getting agey. But any refurb is iffy since we have no idea how these were used. Might work for 10 more years might blow out on day 91.

"Upgrading a slim form-factor computer is hard and expensive, if even possible" - Probably the least factual statement I have seen on here in a while.  This users standard memory, standard drives, standard slots.  This not an ultra compact, it is an SFF.  It even has a full size 5.25 and 3.5.  In the Enterprise, corporate, business or even SBS this is far more common then a full size tower.

Bought the 8300 Elite version last month for $210, 8200 has 2nd gen i5 CPU while 8300 has 3rd gen i5 CPU. The 8300 can be used as a fully functional Hackintosh right out of the box.
8200 should be at $150 to consider as a deal (not warm or hot, just plain deal)

cmatthewsjrium said:   "Upgrading a slim form-factor computer is hard and expensive, if even possible" - Probably the least factual statement I have seen on here in a while.  This users standard memory, standard drives, standard slots.  This not an ultra compact, it is an SFF.  It even has a full size 5.25 and 3.5.  In the Enterprise, corporate, business or even SBS this is far more common then a full size tower.
  Upgrade as in power supply and video card. Some slim computers also have proprietary connectors for the motherboard. 

I am looking for a decent deal on a desktop and trying to spend about $250- it will be used primarily for graphics arts stuff and Autocad, not gaming. If there has been stuff popping up of late that you can reference for me to keep an eye on it reappearing, I would appreciate it. I have purchased some Dell Refurb laptops w success, but I know their systems are typically 3-5 years old, which is fine provided it is a powerful machine.
Thx, Dave.

dlptown said:   I am looking for a decent deal on a desktop and trying to spend about $250- it will be used primarily for graphics arts stuff and Autocad, not gaming. If there has been stuff popping up of late that you can reference for me to keep an eye on it reappearing, I would appreciate it. I have purchased some Dell Refurb laptops w success, but I know their systems are typically 3-5 years old, which is fine provided it is a powerful machine.
Thx, Dave.

199$ looks way higher end. Which generation processor is it? It does mention that.

blueribb said:   
dlptown said:   I am looking for a decent deal on a desktop and trying to spend about $250- it will be used primarily for graphics arts stuff and Autocad, not gaming. If there has been stuff popping up of late that you can reference for me to keep an eye on it reappearing, I would appreciate it. I have purchased some Dell Refurb laptops w success, but I know their systems are typically 3-5 years old, which is fine provided it is a powerful machine.
Thx, Dave.

The CPU on this Best Buy unit is an i4-660, whose Passmark score is 3288. The Newegg machine that this thread's about has a Passmark over 5000 (it's a bit unclear exactly which CPU is in the box, but assuming it's an i5-2400, the Passmark is 5866).

The BestBuy box has a 1TB drive vs. 500GB but it's also $70 more.

Otherwise, at a glance, the machines seem similar except that the Best Buy machine seems to have a DVD writer vs. DVD player on the Newegg.

(Newegg sells the machine Best Buy has for about $30 less on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Desktop-PC-8100-Intel-Core-i5-1st-Gen... )

So, unless you need a DVD writer or you need more than 500GB, the Newegg HP box seems a better box and likely better value (you can probably buy a DVD writer or a 1TB to throw in and it'll still be cheaper or similar and you get a much better CPU).

This is what I would recommend. Pass mark of 5865.
HP Elite 8200 SFF i5-2400 3.1GHz 4GB 160GB Win 7 Hm 1 Yr Wty 
for $136, you get 4GB Ram, 2nd gen i5 and 160GB HDD.

For all practical purposes this should work better, if required just upgrade the HDD, if performance is not critical, just leave and use as is.

cogan said:   
blueribb said:   
Thx, Dave.

The CPU on this Best Buy unit is an i4-660, whose Passmark score is 3288. The Newegg machine that this thread's about has a Passmark over 5000 (it's a bit unclear exactly which CPU is in the box, but assuming it's an i5-2400, the Passmark is 5866).

The BestBuy box has a 1TB drive vs. 500GB but it's also $70 more.

Otherwise, at a glance, the machines seem similar except that the Best Buy machine seems to have a DVD writer vs. DVD player on the Newegg. 

(Newegg sells the machine Best Buy has for about $30 less on eBay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Desktop-PC-8100-Intel-Core-i5-1st-Gen... )

So, unless you need a DVD writer or you need more than 500GB, the Newegg HP box seems a better box and likely better value (you can probably buy a DVD writer or a 1TB to throw in and it'll still be cheaper or similar and you get a much better CPU).

The Best Buy specs say: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-660 processor
The 6th gen i5 should be an i5-6600 but this computer looks to be a much older model, so it's most likely a typo.

If so, this isn't a deal either.

Thx for the help guys, much appreciated. I have to pull the trigger here soon, so will compare the the systems and order one- I have been removed frrom following computer hardware for quite some time.
Dave

thanks

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017