• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Amazon and Best Buy have the 500GB Tivo Bolt for $155 and change.

It's not the greatest price ever, but the best its been for a non-refurb in a couple months.

1TB units are $50ish off, too ($243 at Amazon, $250 at BB). But the 500GBs are the better choice - for less than the $100 difference you can pop in an up-to-3TB laptop drive without any extra steps other than opening up the case and replacing the drive. (You can go larger, but you have to hook the drive up to a PC and do some formatting stuff to it to get larger than 3TB to work.)

No deal on Bolt+, sorry. 

Member Summary

Tivo Bolt 500GB (1.10kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I thought the hard drive needed to be specially formatted if you want to upgrade the size.

rated:
mrdeucie said: I thought the hard drive needed to be specially formatted if you want to upgrade the size.

No, just drop a standard laptop drive in and it will automatically format.

rated:
TiVo service subscription is required. Options include a monthly service plan at $14.99/mo and a 1-year commitment,(4) and an annual service plan at $149.99/year.(5)

rated:
sourmix said:   TiVo service subscription is required. Options include a monthly service plan at $14.99/mo and a 1-year commitment,(4) and an annual service plan at $149.99/year.(5)
  It doesn't qualify for the lifetime option (which was $500 last I heard)?

rated:
I bought one from Amazon in Nov and had no problem getting lifetime service on it ($549)

rated:
$160 for the 500gb but no tax outside of California and free shipping:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-bolt-4k-series6.php 

$250 for the 1TB.

Be VERY careful with drives >2TB on these units. Just about all drives >2TB are SMR. In a 2.5" form factor, these drives are meant for USB backup and are not going to last in a DVR running 24/7/365. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingled_magnetic_recording 

The only 3TB drive that I have been able to find that is NOT SMR is the one TiVo uses in the Bolt+, which is the WD30NPRZ...but good luck finding that.

rated:
tivoaddict said:   $160 for the 500gb but no tax outside of California and free shipping:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-bolt-4k-series6.php 

$250 for the 1TB.

Be VERY careful with drives >2TB on these units. Just about all drives >2TB are SMR. In a 2.5" form factor, these drives are meant for USB backup and are not going to last in a DVR running 24/7/365. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingled_magnetic_recording 

The only 3TB drive that I have been able to find that is NOT SMR is the one TiVo uses in the Bolt+, which is the WD30NPRZ...but good luck finding that.

Good info thanks. 

Does installing a new hard drive void the Tivo warranty?

rated:
Yes, opening the case or making any other modifications technically voids the warranty.

rated:
Thanks that's what I thought.  Guess I won't be doing that until my extended warranty is over.

rated:
Can I use my Tivo free lifetime subscription on this? I bought the Tivo Roamio  refurbished for $200 before Xmas. Looks like new and works fine. 4 channel recording dvr, commercial skip. New remote also. Very happy with it.

rated:
HighTechnology said:   Yes, opening the case or making any other modifications technically voids the warranty.
  Where does it say that? 

Typical US standard is that you can do what you want with what you own, but if you mess it up, you're responsible for the part you broke.  Note that is different from what you're implying - that any opening of the case voids the *entire* warranty.    

rated:
bluescreens said:   
HighTechnology said:   Yes, opening the case or making any other modifications technically voids the warranty.
  Where does it say that? 

Typical US standard is that you can do what you want with what you own, but if you mess it up, you're responsible for the part you broke.  Note that is different from what you're implying - that any opening of the case voids the *entire* warranty.    

"Replacement of the DVR because of misuse, accident, lightning damage, unauthorized repair, or other cause not within the control of TiVo. Please note that removing the cover of the DVR for any reason voids the warranty."
https://www.tivo.com/legal/tivo-dvrmini-limited-warranty

rated:
speckr said:   Can I use my Tivo free lifetime subscription on this? I bought the Tivo Roamio  refurbished for $200 before Xmas. Looks like new and works fine. 4 channel recording dvr, commercial skip. New remote also. Very happy with it.
  I believe the subscriptions are connected with the unit you bought it with.

rated:
Thanks 4 ur answer!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017