• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Ematic HD TV Motorized Outdoor Antenna with 150-Mile Range - Walmart.com
Disclaimer

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not sure why the negative votes with no explanation. I live at least 60+ miles from the major broadcast areas of Tampa, Fort Myers, and Orlando. I just bought this antenna from WM and went from 2 unviewable channels to 86 channels from all 3 markets and one even as far as West Palm Beach. I went through the channels and most have a great signal, some are weak but work well. I filtered through all the Spanish channels (about 12). Truly better than any $80-$100 antenna that I have tried. I've told all my neighbors as well as friends. Great way to cut the cable/satellite bill and save $60-$200/month!

The instructions are lacking so be sure to watch the Youtube videos for installation tips. A bunch of reviews say the motor breaks after a few uses. I used it 2 or 3 times to adjust the direction without issues, and I will never move it again since I get all 3 markets and all the extra channels. There should be no reason to keep turning the antenna once you're adjusted. Also, better coax cable will get you more channels on your TV. I have swapped specific cables and found I get more with higher grade coax cable. Your TV receiver will make a difference too. I get 48 channels in the living room, but 86 in the bedroom. Both come directly off the back of the antenna control box without splitters. I will be using splitters to get to the other 3 rooms. You will need to run everything through the control box and split it out from the 2 TV outs since the box has an amplifier in it. I put the box in the attic (since I won't have to turn it often if at all anymore) as I had plugs installed for an attic fan as well as other fans I can use while working in the attic.

Generally speaking, things like antennas are a bit of a hit or miss. Too many variables makes it difficult to judge if it's an antenna issue, placement, or just the location of your home.

What tends to get good reviews for outdoor is the Eagle Aspen (OOS for Amazon, still available through 3rd party) around $15 shipped. Indoor tends to be the different leaf style (Mohu, 1byone, etc.).

Personal experience tells me that most antennas will work okay, the placement will really determine how many channels you get, signal strength, etc.

Jamesbear said:   Personal experience tells me that most antennas will work okay, the placement will really determine how many channels you get, signal strength, etc.

I had 2 other antennas on the same 10' pole that is up on the peak of the roof putting it up about 25-30' and pointed in the same 270 degree direction. The other antennas stated 60 mile rating. Both picked up the 2 closest channels, and not well at all. I have to think this antenna and control box are the reason for the 86 channels I can receive now, so I will give it praise. I hope it will work just as well for others, but now I can get "local" news and weather and can truly cut the satellite bill without hesitation. I just wanted to give my review.

150 mile range claim is ludicrous. Great price though for something you can rotate to point at TV towers. Likely better on UHF than VHF from the looks of it. We're still using old Winegard and Radio Shack gear: big antenna, preamps, chimney mount, and a rotor (bit better, but also cost 10x as much as this deal).

Now $29.98

I HAD one of these. Total plastic junk. 150 miles would only be in the flat desert with the source tower on the highest peak on a clear day with line of sight. My towers are 45 miles away line of sight and this antennas performance was POOR. I have one VHF low channel it did not receive that well the UHF were no better that my 8" indoor flat leaf antenna. Save your time and money.

Stick to a traditional American brand that has been around since the 1960s.

AJR, are you in the Sarasota area? I just moved there and have been wondering what my best options were for getting the Tampa channels (about 60 miles away, in Ruskin IIRC).

AJR said:   Not sure why the negative votes with no explanation. I live at least 60+ miles from the major broadcast areas of Tampa, Fort Myers, and Orlando. I just bought this antenna from WM and went from 2 unviewable channels to 86 channels from all 3 markets and one even as far as West Palm Beach. I went through the channels and most have a great signal, some are weak but work well. I filtered through all the Spanish channels (about 12). Truly better than any $80-$100 antenna that I have tried.
What $80-$100 antenna had you tried?  Also how many channels in your area use VHF frequencies (not necessarily ch. 2-14 but 175-220 MHz)? That Ematic antenna is about as good as rabbit ears for VHF frequencies.  On the other hand its UHF section isn't that unsubstantial.. 

AJR said: I had 2 other antennas on the same 10' pole that is up on the peak of the roof putting it up about 25-30' and pointed in the same 270 degree direction. The other antennas stated 60 mile rating. Both picked up the 2 closest channels, and not well at all. I have to think this antenna and control box are the reason for the 86 channels I can receive now, so I will give it praise. I hope it will work just as well for others, but now I can get "local" news and weather and can truly cut the satellite bill without hesitation. I just wanted to give my review.
How did you have them wired (together?), and how far apart were they from one another?  Sometimes an antenna located just a few feet apart weakens the signals for the other antenna.

When selecting an antenna, keep in mind that the FCC is reducing the broadcast band.
The highest channel will be 36, stations are being packed into lower channels.

ScottMalinowski said:   I HAD one of these. Total plastic junk. 150 miles would only be in the flat desert with the source tower on the highest peak on a clear day with line of sight. My towers are 45 miles away line of sight and this antennas performance was POOR. I have one VHF low channel it did not receive that well the UHF were no better that my 8" indoor flat leaf antenna. Save your time and money.

Granted the 150 mile range claim is far fetched, however I am getting stations over 80 miles away. Yes, Florida is mostly flat, but I don't have line of sight to West Palm Beach, Leesburg, Orlando, and Clermont.
tevick said:   AJR, are you in the Sarasota area? I just moved there and have been wondering what my best options were for getting the Tampa channels (about 60 miles away, in Ruskin IIRC).

No, I'm smack dab in the middle of the state in Sebring (Spring Lake which is 4 miles west of Lorida right on Lake Istokpoga). I'm picking up Tampa and Clearwater stations, as well as hitting Clermont.
larrymoencurly said:   

I bought 2 other outdoor antennas from WalMart.com, one said 60 mile range, the other said 70 mile range. I can't tell you the specifics on them at the moment - tried to find them on WalMart.com to reference. I can't say what I'm missing on the VHF range. After making my channel list, I only have 1 VHF station from Tampa that is 64 miles away. As far as I can tell, the rest are UHF (see OTA TV Station sheet on Google Drive link below). Summed up, these are the stations I get:

ABC (4), NBC (1), CBS (2), CW (3), FOX (2), PBS (3), TBN, GRIT, ION, ION Life, Qubo, Laff, NASA, QVC, HSN, CTN, MeTV, Cozi, Create, World, Escape, ThisTV along with the Spanish stations Telemundo, UniMas, Univision, LATV, EstrellaTV, Enlace.

I'm not sure what others are available OTA or what people would be looking for on VHF that isn't available on UHF. The picture quality on the 1080p channels are as good as I received on Dish.

I used the same wiring and mount for all 3 antennas - took one down, put up the next one (I've never thought of wiring them in series, together, or near each other). I have a 10' 3/4" antenna pipe mounted to a previous Dish bracket on the roof about 14' up (so about 24'-25' high). The white has cable slack at the top for rotating and runs down the pole to the splitter from the Dish wiring that is grounded, then comes out the other side into the attic and goes into the control box (about 35 feet of coax to this point). TV1 out coax goes about 20-25 feet into the bedroom TV (60" Vizio). TV2 out coax goes into a splitter, and one side goes about 30-35 feet to the living room TV (65" Samsung), and the other side goes 45-50 feet to the guest bedroom (47" Sharp). At some point I may purchase the 30' ground to air antenna mount, but for now, this works well.

I setup a folder in my Google Drive with screenshots of antennaweb and antennasdirect maps along with the TV stations I pickup. The one from antennaweb only shows 2 towers that I would be able to pickup. Antennasdirect shows a good radius map and towers within 60-70 mile range. I added the red dots to show additional towers I am picking up outside the radius map.

Again, this may not work for everyone... nothing ever does. However, I'm showing proof that this antenna does work well contrary to all the trash talk about it (Get American made, plastic piece of crap, range is bogus, etc). Everyone has their opinions including myself. At worst, get it, try it, and return it if it doesn't work. Just make sure you have everything setup properly before saying it doesn't work.

Antennas have always been hit or miss for me that's why I prefer to purchase one locally where I can return it if it don't do rite. This is WalMart. Purchase it with local store pickup use it for a month if it ain't good take it back - total cost $0.00.

Just put one of these up in my attic.  I'm 70 miles from the broadcasters in my area (DFW) and needed an amplified output to run into a 4 output splitter.  This is workin' gangbusters,  picking up 68 stations and driving 4 tv sets.

I'm not using the rotator, just pointed it in the general direction and ty-wrapped it to the attic rafters.  I could not be more pleased with the way it works.  Be aware you have to have it plugged in for it to work.

If you are looking for choices on OTA Antennas look here: TV Antenna Choices and options for cutting the cable

Had one of these.
Very Thin aluminum tubing and plastic.
It fell apart in less than 4 months.
Also the coax has non-standard connections, so you cannot extend the length with regular coax.
Complete piece of junk.

AJR is about 20 miles from me. I have this antenna (bought online for $35ish. It is on a 10 foot pole outside my house. It is in a woody area and still picks up 30+ channels out of Sebring, Tampa, and Orlando.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017