• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Opinions on these? I currently have the non-wifi version of the Honeywell. Not at all familiar with the Emerson.

rated:
smw said:   Opinions on these? I currently have the non-wifi version of the Honeywell. Not at all familiar with the Emerson.

I have a Sensi and it's a solid thermostat for my boiler system. The phone app can program all the daily schedules, change the current temp and heat/cool mode. It's nice being able to nudge the temp up a degree or two from the couch. It also has the usual front panel buttons to control everything in person.
It is cloud-based which puts some people off but I've never experienced a time when I couldn't access it remotely (inside or outside the house). They had Wink support for a long time and added Alexa almost a year ago. For some reason they're dragging their feet on SmartThings support which is what I'm hoping for since I have that home automation system.

Edit: In for one of the Honeywells since they seem to be both SmartThings and Google Home compatible. I'll move the Sensi to my upstairs zone and hopefully my local $70 utility rebate will work again this year for a second thermostat since it's for a second zone.

rated:
Nice. The Sensi was $79 earlier this year.

rated:
I am okay with a modest premium for being Internet enabled. It's half the price of Nest and doesn't intimidate non-technical users.

rated:
Aw man this isn't the kind National Grid gives a rebate for.

rated:
I have Sensi. Very easy to set up and very reliable.. Highly recommended.

Got it for free after $100 utility rebate. Donated the rebate money to school.

rated:
We've had a sightly different model of the Honeywell WiFi thermostat for a few years now. Was super easy to install, and it works great. I set up the weekly schedule once and we typically just let it run on the schedule I created.

It's easy to override for a temporary hold to whatever temperature we want, and as someone else mentioned, it's super convenient to be lazy and adjust the temperature from the couch or bed or wherever with the phone app.

I'm sure it's missing features that the Nest has, but it works great for me and does everything I need a thermostat to be able to do. I recently got an e-mail saying that it's now compatible with Google Home, if we ever decide to get one of those.

For the money, I recommend it. The online schedule builder is infinitely easier than trying to program a 7-day schedule on the thermostat itself, and I've never had any issues with service downtime from Honeywell.

rated:
I have the sensi and like it. Besides the phone app you can also use Alexa to change the temp. Nice when your in bed, wake up and want to change the temp.  Alexa set thermostat to ____.
setup 
Some Honeywells can use Alexa also.  Not sure about this one.

rated:
11% rebate this week as well, matching Menards

rated:
This is deal of the day, which seems to be online only. store prices much higher, didn't want to wait in long checkout lines, so will order online later. Thanks

rated:
MA has rebates for $100 (I think) for wifi thermostats. Unfortunately for me, I can't use them because it needs an extra wire coming out of the wall which my system doesn't have.

rated:
RTH8580WF is apparently OOS, can't add to cart

rated:
Both OOS

rated:
mmyk72 said:   Unfortunately for me, I can't use them because it needs an extra wire coming out of the wall which my system doesn't have.

FWIW, the original thermostat in my house did not use a "C" (24 VAC common) wire, which the Honeywell required.  However, the wire pigtail that was in the wall had unused, spare wires in it.  It was a pretty simple step for me to connect an unused wire to the "C" terminal on my furnace, and then connect that wire at the thermostat location to provide power to the new Honeywell WiFi thermostat.

If your existing thermostat does not use a "C" wire, and there are no extra wires hiding in the wall, that would indeed present a problem.  As a last resort, you can use the existing "G" wire in place of a "C" wire, but then you lose individual control of the fan on your system (the fan will still run when your heat or AC is on, but you won't be able to turn the fan on separately for air circulation).  Honeywell has a video showing how to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jniws7wqeY4

rated:
acesfullof8s said:   Both OOS
  Went OOS very quick. But both are in stock today for the higher price. Makes you wonder.

rated:
I ordered the Honeywell and it arrived in 1 day. Now that I have both I'd say the Sensi is miles ahead in terms of user interface and app quality.
The Honeywell app looks like it hasn't been updated in 5 years and the Android version is a poor port of the iPhone interface. Sensi doesn't limit daily time slots while Honeywell is limited to the usual 4 periods of most programmable thermostats.
At this point the only feature going for the Honeywell over Sensi is that it was easy to hook up to my SmartThings Hub and Google Home. Now I can ask Google to bump the temperature instead of getting out my phone which is one further step into laziness.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017