Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Lenovo T430 14.1" Laptop (5.52kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
4+ yr old beat up lease return

rated:
Direct Link.

Please add "Refurb" and "Newegg via eBay" to title

rated:
I've just edited my title. Thx for your reminding.

rated:
Thank you OP. Nice find for a new member. Appreciate your effort.

FWIW - T430 went into production in 2012 and was replaced by the T431 in 2013, so it is a 5 year old laptop. Nothing necessarily wrong with that (I just finally migrated last month from one more than a decade older). I love Thinkpads and we use them (T and X series, mostly) almost exclusively in our businesses. We even buy used/refurbished machines sometimes, so I don't think that is a bad way to go - However, :

1. check who did the refurbishment. If it was Lenovo, great. A real Lenovo refurb means a Lenovo trained technician tested the unit with factory tests and replaced anything not up to spec. I don't know whether practices have changed recently, but Lenovo used to stop refurbing systems soon after they went out of production, so chances are not good these are Lenovo refurbed (please, someone prove me wrong. I would love to buy a couple of factory refurbs).

However, eBay now allows for someone other than the manufacturer to say they "refurbish", so lots of leasing companies (and others) claim to "refurbish" laptops when all they do is wipe the system and put it up for resale (in other words, BIG YMMV - some do a good job, some don't do anything). So, unless it is a real Lenovo Refurb, you should just think of it as "used". Again, not necessarily bad, but don't be fooled into thinking non-manufacturer "refurb" means something.

2. Regardless of who did the refurbishment, note that the hard drive in this laptop is probably 5 years old. IMHO too old to be reliable (HDDs have about a 3-5 year design life when used regularly - I replace mine about every 3 years). So, if you buy one of these, I would suggest you first check the health of the HDD or just assume you will need to replace it (you can get a new HDD for under $50 and an SSD for under $100). BTW - if you put an SSD in it, it will vastly improve performance (boot time will drop to around 10 seconds - or it did for the T420 we just upgraded for one of our guys).

So, when I think about buying a used laptop, I look at price+cost to bring it up to usable spec (new SSD/HDD, at a minimum, maybe more ram) and compare it to the price of a new laptop. Today, you can get a Lenovo factory refurb (T460, 256GB SSD, factory warranty) for about $470 (without any coupon/discount at http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/). Compared to a 5 year old used T430 at $300 ($220+$80 for a 256GB SSD) with no warranty, I am not sure the used one is that much of a bargain - but that is just me.

rated:
I wrote Newegg.

• The system was refurbed by some vendor (they don't know who or where), but not Lenovo.
  • They can't tell me what the actual machine/model type is for the machine, so I can't trace to the original specs.
  • Non-returnable, non-refundable, no warranty (they say there may be a warranty from "the vendor" (they won't say who is honoring the warranty or who this "vendor" is, so apparently there is none)
  • No statement/rating for how the units are cosmetically (pristine? used hard? scratched and dented?)

Same system is on Newegg.com for $250 with a 90 day warranty, but still not returnable/refundable.

So, I will pass.

rated:
You would be better to get a refurb directly from Lenovo.

rated:
We bought something similar a few years ago on a deal and are very happy with it. I think I upgraded the RAM, but didn't even bother putting in the SSD as the wife is already happy with it.

rated:
Not bad !

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017