• filter:
This deal has expired.

Apple Iphone 5s $99.99 - Cricket Wireless (ATT - GSM phone)

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Cricket Wireless (ATT - GSM netwrok) has their popular prepaid Iphone 5s once again on sale for $99.99 with new line activation ($149.99 for line upgrades)

Linky 

These are great when combined with Cricket's Family deal of 5 lines for $100/mo ( 3GB data and unlimted talk/text per line ).
I purchase 5 of these phones when I moved my old Ringplus numbers to Cricket.

If you check around, you generally can get a $25 to $50 referral credit from Cricket as a new customer.
Also, be sure to signup for their Cricket Rewards program, it will give you another $25 worth of points for being referred to the program.



 

Member Summary

Apple Iphone 5s (13.29kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You pay up front for your plan. When you downgrade your account will receive a pro rated credit, never a refund.

jimates (Mar. 17, 2017 @ 3:59a) |

Thanks op, in for one.

balmerlane (Mar. 17, 2017 @ 4:14a) |

thank you jimates for that prorating explanation!

so basically you can do the unlock trick and will have to stay on crick... (more)

getgreen (Mar. 17, 2017 @ 5:14a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Good deal indeed. Now I just need 2 more lines to get the family plan deal. Any takers?

rated:
zubrin said:   Good deal indeed. Now I just need 2 more lines to get the family plan deal. Any takers?
The family plan is really an extra $10 discount per line after the first line and stops at 5 lines. 
Meaning the 1st line is $40, the 2nd is $30, the 3rd is $20, the 4th is $10 and the 5th is $0, so 5 lines equals $100
The only potential bad thing about the family plan is that you only have 1 account and 1 credit card.

rated:
Nice family deal. Love 5s best

rated:
I added this as a line, but used it as a phone upgrade, I told the rep and she said no issue and I was charged the cheaper rate, not the upgrade rate and activated then disconnected the new number for the new phone.  It looks like a brand new iPhone 5s, now only if they offered deals on iphone 6s and such like boost mobile.  Also you can IM any current cricket customer here for the you get 25.00 and they get 25.00 ref credit, pm me if you want a ref link.

Dil

rated:
jschuman said:   These are great when combined with Cricket's Family deal of 5 lines for $100/mo ( 3GB data and unlimted talk/text per line ).
I purchase 5 of these phones when I moved my old Ringplus numbers to Cricket.
 

 
1. So one person has to buy and activate all 5 phones at once to get the $100 family plan? If so, I wonder how unrelated people who share this plan handle that.

2. What does taxes and fees bring your monthly total up to? (I know they vary by location)

3. The terms say "Req's activ. of new svc line on qual. plan (min. $30/mo)." So the family plan qualifies because it's  $100/month, even though each line is only $20/month (the minimum applies to the plan, not the line)?

4. Is this 5s new or refurbished? I may be overlooking it but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the product page. Would Apple still be selling new phones of a nearly 4 year old model when they have several newer models on the market?

Sorry for all the questions but any thoughtful insights would be appreciated. 

rated:
fivetalents said:   
jschuman said:   These are great when combined with Cricket's Family deal of 5 lines for $100/mo ( 3GB data and unlimted talk/text per line ).
I purchase 5 of these phones when I moved my old Ringplus numbers to Cricket.

 
1. So one person has to buy and activate all 5 phones at once to get the $100 family plan? If so, I wonder how unrelated people who share this plan handle that.

2. What does taxes and fees bring your monthly total up to? (I know they vary by location)

3. The terms say "Req's activ. of new svc line on qual. plan (min. $30/mo)." So the family plan qualifies because it's  $100/month, even though each line is only $20/month (the minimum applies to the plan, not the line)?

4. Is this 5s new or refurbished? I may be overlooking it but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the product page. Would Apple still be selling new phones of a nearly 4 year old model when they have several newer models on the market?

Sorry for all the questions but any thoughtful insights would be appreciated. 

1.  You don't need to buy/activate 5 lines at once to get the $100 rate.  And that $100 rate is for 5 lines on the "Basic" 3 GB/month plan.
2.  Taxes, fees, etc. are included.  Whatever price you see ($30, $100...whatever) for monthly service is the final price you pay.  You only pay applicable taxes/fees on phones, SIM cards and accessories.  BTW, the $30/month plan >IS NOT< eligible for the Group/Family Plan:  https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
3.  I believe you're confusing terms.  You need to have at a minimum, the $30/month plan on a line.  The "Group/Family Plan" refers to 5 separate lines (telephone numbers) on one account.  
4.  Brand new, still in the box.  The last one of these I bought a couple months back had the newest version of iOS 10.x on it, so Apple is still pumping these out.  FWIW, even though this model is going on 4 years old, it's still a very capable phone and if you don't like it, you can sell it on your local Craigslist and make money on them.  

rated:
I was on Att go phone and ran out and got 5 cricket sim
Kits to switch and then T-Mobile pulled their magical $60-$80 3 line unlim deal with free iPhones with trade in and port and the math made sense to do that..now I'm staring at 5 cricket sim kits. I only needed 3 lines. Got in on the att gophone $180 5s (with 1 month service included) deal 2 months ago at Best Buy and unlocked via att in hours.

rated:
Is this phone locked or unlocked?

rated:
LongDongSilver said:   Is this phone locked or unlocked?
 Locked.

rated:
jschuman said:   
zubrin said:   Good deal indeed. Now I just need 2 more lines to get the family plan deal. Any takers?
The family plan is really an extra $10 discount per line after the first line and stops at 5 lines. 
Meaning the 1st line is $40, the 2nd is $30, the 3rd is $20, the 4th is $10 and the 5th is $0, so 5 lines equals $100
The only potential bad thing about the family plan is that you only have 1 account and 1 credit card.

  True. We share the account, but I make a manual one time payment with my credit card when I receive the "To Be Billed on this Date" text from Cricket. Other party's CC picks up the remaining balance. Manual, but do-able.

rated:
DarthEnol said:   
LongDongSilver said:   Is this phone locked or unlocked?
 Locked.

  If I recall correctly, they will unlock after 6 months of use.  However, their is a loop hole that if you select their $70/mo plan for you can instantly request the unlock code and than downgrade back to the $40 plan.

rated:
DarthEnol said:   1.  You don't need to buy/activate 5 lines at once to get the $100 rate.  And that $100 rate is for 5 lines on the "Basic" 3 GB/month plan.
2.  Taxes, fees, etc. are included.  Whatever price you see ($30, $100...whatever) for monthly service is the final price you pay.  You only pay applicable taxes/fees on phones, SIM cards and accessories.  BTW, the $30/month plan >IS NOT< eligible for the Group/Family Plan:  https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
3.  I believe you're confusing terms.  You need to have at a minimum, the $30/month plan on a line.  The "Group/Family Plan" refers to 5 separate lines (telephone numbers) on one account.  
4.  Brand new, still in the box.  The last one of these I bought a couple months back had the newest version of iOS 10.x on it, so Apple is still pumping these out.  FWIW, even though this model is going on 4 years old, it's still a very capable phone and if you don't like it, you can sell it on your local Craigslist and make money on them.  

 Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such detailed answers!  

rated:
I have this phone....it is the most flawed technology I have ever bought....one day I was lost on horseback in the forest...wanted to use the phone to get help...it demanded my itunes password and it would not give up....ultimately I had a non-smart phone also and they worked....screen does not always respond you your finger or anything else....

rated:
Nice find

rated:
DarthEnol said:   
fivetalents said:   
jschuman said:   These are great when combined with Cricket's Family deal of 5 lines for $100/mo ( 3GB data and unlimted talk/text per line ).
I purchase 5 of these phones when I moved my old Ringplus numbers to Cricket.

 
1. So one person has to buy and activate all 5 phones at once to get the $100 family plan? If so, I wonder how unrelated people who share this plan handle that.

2. What does taxes and fees bring your monthly total up to? (I know they vary by location)

3. The terms say "Req's activ. of new svc line on qual. plan (min. $30/mo)." So the family plan qualifies because it's  $100/month, even though each line is only $20/month (the minimum applies to the plan, not the line)?

4. Is this 5s new or refurbished? I may be overlooking it but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the product page. Would Apple still be selling new phones of a nearly 4 year old model when they have several newer models on the market?

Sorry for all the questions but any thoughtful insights would be appreciated. 

1.  You don't need to buy/activate 5 lines at once to get the $100 rate.  And that $100 rate is for 5 lines on the "Basic" 3 GB/month plan.
2.  Taxes, fees, etc. are included.  Whatever price you see ($30, $100...whatever) for monthly service is the final price you pay.  You only pay applicable taxes/fees on phones, SIM cards and accessories.  BTW, the $30/month plan >IS NOT< eligible for the Group/Family Plan:  https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans 
3.  I believe you're confusing terms.  You need to have at a minimum, the $30/month plan on a line.  The "Group/Family Plan" refers to 5 separate lines (telephone numbers) on one account.  
4.  Brand new, still in the box.  The last one of these I bought a couple months back had the newest version of iOS 10.x on it, so Apple is still pumping these out.  FWIW, even though this model is going on 4 years old, it's still a very capable phone and if you don't like it, you can sell it on your local Craigslist and make money on them.  

  I think the only caveat is that you can't have the $30 plan on a family plan - it must be the $40 plan or higher to qualify your lines for a family plan.

rated:
jshuman said: The family plan is really an extra $10 discount per line after the first line and stops at 5 lines.
Meaning the 1st line is $40, the 2nd is $30, the 3rd is $20, the 4th is $10 and the 5th is $0, so 5 lines equals $100
The only potential bad thing about the family plan is that you only have 1 account and 1 credit card.


You should also be aware that the early pay discount ($5/line) does not apply to the family plan.
Each phone/line has it's own Cricket Rewards ID, so you can accumulate points faster and use them to buy (for example) Cricket Prepaid cards.

rated:
last time cricket did the $99 promo and in less than 2 weeks, they dropped the price to $79 when you bring your number. also with S8 coming out in a month, price might drop on the S6/S7 if you like android as to ios.

rated:
HKSturboKid said:   last time cricket did the $99 promo and in less than 2 weeks, they dropped the price to $79 when you bring your number. also with S8 coming out in a month, price might drop on the S6/S7 if you like android as to ios.
  Great info - I hope they wait longer than 2 weeks though, I have a few lines I ported over to MetroPCS at the beginning of the month and want to ride those out (3 months) until I can unlock them, then switch to cricket for the sheer price difference for 5 lines!
​I need a couple iphones for something i'm working in, but if that S6/S7 info is accurate, I may incorporate that into my upcoming purchase.

rated:
fivetalents said:   
DarthEnol said:   1.  You don't need to buy/activate 5 lines at once to get the $100 rate.  And that $100 rate is for 5 lines on the "Basic" 3 GB/month plan.
2.  Taxes, fees, etc. are included.  Whatever price you see ($30, $100...whatever) for monthly service is the final price you pay.  You only pay applicable taxes/fees on phones, SIM cards and accessories.  BTW, the $30/month plan >IS NOT< eligible for the Group/Family Plan:  https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans 
3.  I believe you're confusing terms.  You need to have at a minimum, the $30/month plan on a line.  The "Group/Family Plan" refers to 5 separate lines (telephone numbers) on one account.  
4.  Brand new, still in the box.  The last one of these I bought a couple months back had the newest version of iOS 10.x on it, so Apple is still pumping these out.  FWIW, even though this model is going on 4 years old, it's still a very capable phone and if you don't like it, you can sell it on your local Craigslist and make money on them.  

 Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such detailed answers!  

 You are very welcome!

rated:
jschuman said:   
DarthEnol said:   
LongDongSilver said:   Is this phone locked or unlocked?
 Locked.

  If I recall correctly, they will unlock after 6 months of use.  However, their is a loop hole that if you select their $70/mo plan for you can instantly request the unlock code and than downgrade back to the $40 plan.

Wait 6 months or sign up for the "Umlinited" plan (price has dropped to $60/$55 with autopay), submit an unlock request and get the phone unlocked. You can actually do the switch back to the $30 plan if you want.

I have done this exact process (sign up for the "Umlimited" plan, then drop down after successfully unlocking) a few times, no problem. I have received the unlock codes within 10 minutes of requesting them.

rated:
rlshoemake87 said:   
jschuman said:   
zubrin said:   Good deal indeed. Now I just need 2 more lines to get the family plan deal. Any takers?
The family plan is really an extra $10 discount per line after the first line and stops at 5 lines. 
Meaning the 1st line is $40, the 2nd is $30, the 3rd is $20, the 4th is $10 and the 5th is $0, so 5 lines equals $100
The only potential bad thing about the family plan is that you only have 1 account and 1 credit card.

  True. We share the account, but I make a manual one time payment with my credit card when I receive the "To Be Billed on this Date" text from Cricket. Other party's CC picks up the remaining balance. Manual, but do-able.

  Anyone in the group can make a payment using whatever card they desire, even Cricket Prepaid Cards. There may be a card on the account for auto pay, but you are not limited to paying with just that one card. Each person can make their own individual payment of $20 anytime before the due date and that payment will go in as an account credit and will be used toward the full payment on the due date.   

rated:
this is a good deals.

rated:
zubrin said:   Good deal indeed. Now I just need 2 more lines to get the family plan deal. Any takers?
 Pic?

rated:
I bought these for our Cricket 5 line deal. Best deal around, phone and plan, imo. 

rated:
My iphone 5S has been used for 2 years, and it still works great. Love this deal

rated:
nice find. thanks.

rated:
if you don't want to do the cricket plan signup etc and just want an unlocked 5s, att's website has an offer for a new 5s for 129.99 when you buy a $45 airtime card. without that it's 174.99
https://www.att.com/cellphones/iphone/iphone-5s-prepaid.html#sku...

how easy is it to sell those airtime cards?

thanks for this cricket deal OP!
also, in case anyone is looking for the cricket referral codes etc that OP referenced, here's a reddit for them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CricketWireless/comments/4tlrqa/the_off...

there are codes there for $25 account credit (use before signing up), and then $50 rewards credit (use after signing up).

on the sign up for $60 plan, then downgrade, does it charge your card right away? so you basically end up paying $60 for one month, at least?
thanks!

rated:
getgreen said:   if you don't want to do the cricket plan signup etc and just want an unlocked 5s, att's website has an offer for a new 5s for 129.99 when you buy a $45 airtime card. without that it's 174.99
https://www.att.com/cellphones/iphone/iphone-5s-prepaid.html#sku=sku7920691

how easy is it to sell those airtime cards?

thanks for this cricket deal OP!
also, in case anyone is looking for the cricket referral codes etc that OP referenced, here's a reddit for them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CricketWireless/comments/4tlrqa/the_official_rcricketwireless_referral_thread/#bottom-comments

there are codes there for $25 account credit (use before signing up), and then $50 rewards credit (use after signing up).

on the sign up for $60 plan, then downgrade, does it charge your card right away? so you basically end up paying $60 for one month, at least?
thanks!

You pay up front for your plan. When you downgrade your account will receive a pro rated credit, never a refund. 

rated:
Thanks op, in for one.

rated:
thank you jimates for that prorating explanation!

so basically you can do the unlock trick and will have to stay on cricket for 2 months, atleast.
the rewards terms say that you get the $25 account credit if you keep service for atleast 60 days. so essentially, you need to have service for 3 months. and the rewards points can be used towards payments. so basically if you want to use the $50, that's another 2 months.
which means the pricing, the way i see it is 99.99 + 60 + 30(x3) - 25 (account credit) - 50 (rewards credit) = 250 - 75 = 175 for a new iphone and 5 months of basic service (unlimited talk text, 1gb of data)

OR, you can do this for a better deal:
pick the $60 plan, but with autopay, so it is $55, do the unlock and then downgrade to the $40 plan, which is $35 with autopay, but gives you 3gb of data vs 1gb for $30. so it would look like this
99.99 + 55 + 15 + 105 - 75 = 200 for iphone and 5 months of service with reasonable amount of data for all basic usage 

if you would like to have more data, the $50 plan with auto pay is $45 and gives you 8gb. but you need fewer months of service to use up your credits. so:
99.99 + 55 + 35 + 90 - 75 = 205 for iphon and 4 months of service with enough data to do some music and video streaming plus all basic things.

as of april 2, cricket is enforcing the ATT throttling rules. those with unlimited data will get throttled after 22gb a month, down to regular speeds (so, you'll be crawling) AND also, they're going to automatically implement stream saver on accounts (you can go in and change the setting, allegedly) so that HD video will instead stream at what they're calling DVD quality, but remains to be seen what quality you get to see.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017