Roku Express $19.99 @ Kohls

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Lowest Price I have seen on a entry Device  ................    Can use Kohls Cash & Yes Rewards

Member Summary

Roku Express
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Better off using sling TV deal and getting a Roku stick for the same.

bethpolg (Mar. 19, 2017 @ 3:02p) |

Tried tonight. Sold out!

nlatney (Mar. 19, 2017 @ 10:09p) |

I see that online too. Was this every a B&M deal? If not then I guess it's gone.

Thanks!
=aw

ottawa (Mar. 20, 2017 @ 1:28a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks. Nice find.

For Kohl's Card users, free shipping on this with code FS4MARCH . I could not find a discount code that worked on this item.

OP please put B&M and/or online in the title and put a link in your post if online.

Good price but be aware that the remote doesn't have "Night Listening Mode"

I would get the better Roku - this one is very slow.

You can sign up for a month of SlingTV and get a Roku Stick for free. I got two of them.

dubio said:   You can sign up for a month of SlingTV and get a Roku Stick for free. I got two of them.
  Yup me too! For $19.99

dubio said:   You can sign up for a month of SlingTV and get a Roku Stick for free. I got two of them.
Don't you have to pay for that month of SlingTV ?

another offer: Get 4 months of Hulu and a free Roku Express for $29.99.

Don't you have to pay for that month of SlingTV ?
Yes, but a month of SlingTV is $20. Note that they were referring to the Stick not the Express.

I tried to do that one recently but it kept rejecting me at the credit card stage.

=aw

marcopolomle said:   Good price but be aware that the remote doesn't have "Night Listening Mode"
  what is that night listening mode? that term sounds scary.

btw, how much is this retail?

is it a good deal?

how is this a deal or any TV deal any good, or is it is for millennials who want to prove something by "cutting the cord" ? I live in upstate NY and have Comcast x1 system (I have top tier) with all the movie channels (HBO 5 channels/Showtime 5 channels,Movie Channel, 2 channels, Cinemax 7 channels/plus afew more I can't remember. It also includes about 200 reg channels, all local channels from NYC and Hartford CT, including the local affiliates of all the networks, land line phone and super high speed internet with their 1 piece phone/ internet modem and wireless connection to 2 desktops, iPhone and 2 laptops in the house. I t costs 219.99 with taxes and fees and am in 2nd year, my 199.00 deal for new setups expired 6 months ago. I also have cable boxes the size of a man's wallet with one all house box. You can control and record from any box. It also has a voice remote that you can just say the channel. PLUS, I have their version of Net flicks called Streampics and tons and tons of on demand, but you can not forward the commercials. If I ever had internet problems I call Comcast they are here the next day. Don't have to do any checking. AND I hated the company for years. I am not advertising for them but I like to watch local news also. So how are all these netflicks/ Roku/apple tv better? Please explain. You don't get any local channels nor do you get Lifetime movie network which wife loves. I'm all ears.

microkelvin said:   
marcopolomle said:   Good price but be aware that the remote doesn't have "Night Listening Mode"
  what is that night listening mode? that term sounds scary.

btw, how much is this retail?

lol... No, its no Microwave that the CIA hacks into to become a camera.  Night listening mode allows you to connect headphones up to the remote control and then turns off the audio output to the tv, so only you can hear the tv at whatever volume you wish through the headphones while everyone else in the house hears nothing.  You don't need the remote to do this though, you can do the same thing through a smartphone or tablet (atleast I can with the non-express streaming stick).

I was thinking about doing the Sling offer a few months back, and then they changed their promotion. Now you have to prepay for 2 months of Sling to get the free Roku Express. So, you have to shell out $40 instead of $20 to get the Roku Express included.

For the Express, I'd go with the Hulu offer (actually I _did_ go with the Hulu offer a month ago ). I'm actually liking some of Hulu's programming better than Netflix. I think if I were going to stick with Hulu at $8/mo I might pay an extra $4/mo for no commercials.

So how are all these netflicks/ Roku/apple tv better? Please explain. You don't get any local channels nor do you get Lifetime movie network which wife loves. I'm all ears.
Assuming this was a sincere question, the first answer is you might be able to get a couple of local channels free with an antenna (indoor, or on a mast). It's also possible you can't (I can theoretically get 14 channels and in practice I got... 2).

I think Sling (and DIRECTV NOW) are primarily for watching live TV, right? Whereas Netflix, Hulu, CBS AllAccess are for streaming existing content (for current shows on Hulu and CBS, usually the day after broadcast). Hulu offers no commercials for $12/mo instead of $8/mo, which is as good or better than fast forwarding on a DVR.

And for your wife, Sling offers Lifetime in all their packages. Can't record it though, and I could not possibly go back to watching live TV, even on commercial-free channels like PBS or TCM. If you're happy with what $220 gets you, you should definitely stick with Comcast. And it's way more convenient.

This cord cutting is mostly for people who want to get Internet from Comcast, use their cell phones for voice, and then pay $12/mo for Hulu and maybe the same again for another service. Of course this means the cable and phone companies will charge more and more for an unlimited or high-usage Internet-only plan and make the bundles more attractive.

=aw

Disclaimer: not a millennial.

I have Comcast internet service ($72/mo), Netflix and Amazon Prime (roughly $10/mo each) and Ooma ($3/mo) for unlimited VIOP "landline" service.

So I have everything covered for less than $100/mo, and it's all available anytime we want, on on all of our devices, including smart TVs, desktop & laptop PCs, smartphones, and tablets.

Also, I don't need a "box" (with another remote) on top of my TVs, except on the old non-smart units. And we use Roku boxes (like the one in the OP) in a couple of rooms on ancient CRT sets...they work surprisingly well.

And best of all, it's all ad-free! After nine years, there's no way I'll ever go back...life is too short to sit through commercials.

For watching current movies, TV shows, and other content that isn't streaming for free on Netflix or Amazon, I use Kodi over an Amazon Fire Stick.

I have a couple of $5 rabbit ears for local stations, but unless there's a storm coming they don't get used.

FWIW, that's why I "cut the cord".

ottawa said:   
Yes, but a month of SlingTV is $20. Note that they were referring to the Stick not the Express.

I tried to do that one recently but it kept rejecting me at the credit card stage.

=aw

It still works.  Just ordered a second using the AmEx deal.

https://www.sling.com/freerokustick

The 2016 Stick is better than the Express and you get that month of Sling.

barrytuneup said:   how is this a deal or any TV deal any good, or is it is for millennials who want to prove something by "cutting the cord" ? I live in upstate NY and have Comcast x1 system (I have top tier) with all the movie channels (HBO 5 channels/Showtime 5 channels,Movie Channel, 2 channels, Cinemax 7 channels/plus afew more I can't remember. It also includes about 200 reg channels, all local channels from NYC and Hartford CT, including the local affiliates of all the networks, land line phone and super high speed internet with their 1 piece phone/ internet modem and wireless connection to 2 desktops, iPhone and 2 laptops in the house. I t costs 219.99 with taxes and fees and am in 2nd year, my 199.00 deal for new setups expired 6 months ago. I also have cable boxes the size of a man's wallet with one all house box. You can control and record from any box. It also has a voice remote that you can just say the channel. PLUS, I have their version of Net flicks called Streampics and tons and tons of on demand, but you can not forward the commercials. If I ever had internet problems I call Comcast they are here the next day. Don't have to do any checking. AND I hated the company for years. I am not advertising for them but I like to watch local news also. So how are all these netflicks/ Roku/apple tv better? Please explain. You don't get any local channels nor do you get Lifetime movie network which wife loves. I'm all ears.

I know this is a poor attempt at trolling, but i'll humor this post just in case there is anyone stupid enough to actually think this way. 

Using a Roku (and Sling) features: 

• One device to rule them all. 
  • It's wireless. 
  • No contract agreements. 
  • TV costs $200 when there's only three channels I like. 
  • I need to pay an extra $50 just to get the spanish channels my family want.
  • Is independent of TV's capabilities, allowing any TV with a USB or HDMI port to utilize the device. 
  • I like being able to stream videos from my PC seamlessly using Plex. 
  • Roku makes it easy for my aging parents, little niece, and grandmother navigate the television inputs. 
  • Very little to no adverts. 
  • Netflix has lots of amazing original content. 
  • Roku offers exclusive stream apps built-in. 
  • Some movies come out on streaming services before they release via TV or DVD/Bluray. 
  • My area does not have many good local channels so it is useless. 

ottawa said:    
I think Sling (and DIRECTV NOW ) are primarily for watching live TV, right? Whereas Netflix, Hulu, CBS AllAccess are for streaming existing content...

Sony Vue is live TV as well.

ottawa said:   
If you're happy with what $220 gets you, you should definitely stick with Comcast cable tv...

Internet Essentials Broadband is $9.95
Sling is $20
Vue is $30
Broadcast is free

Cordcutting is about savings, not entertainment bling.

And we use Roku boxes (like the one in the OP) in a couple of rooms on ancient CRT sets...they work surprisingly well.
Just to clarify, the Express in OP does not provide composite (red/white/yellow) output. That's the Express+ for $10 more (retail). You might do better with an older Roku off eBay or Craigslist, though there are limitations.

I just sold a Roku 2 XS on eBay, it did composite through a 3.5mm jack with a proprietary cable. Also HDMI of course. Other older Roku boxes had 3 RCA connectors and could use any composite cable.

Two major (maybe) limitations: its Netflix app supported only the first profile, and other apps might be nonexistent or dated (I assume the Hulu app didn't support the new profiles feature, for example). But some if those older boxes are really cheap if you can live with the limitations.

=aw

Unless you get your internet through a cell service or a Dish, no one has 'cut the cord.' you might cut the coax, but you are stilling use some cord somewhere along the line.

sechs said:   
ottawa said:   

=aw

It still works.  Just ordered a second using the AmEx deal.

Thanks, Sechs. I am in for one stick on the old Sling deal. Thanks for posting the link!

this is lowest price ever have seen.

TBH, I wouldn't want to waste my $$$ on a brand name product like this. The reason is simply there are lots of a much better product out there with a much better hardware specs for less, i.e. quad-/octa-core CPU with more RAM / internal Storage, H.265 hardware CoDec, etc., to better stream videos.

I have been streaming videos to watch new movies and/or live TV channels from around the world using Kodi on a Linux computer, an Android smartphone, and/or an Android TV Box (an MXQ Pro bought from eBay for less than $15). TBH, the later keeps crashing every-now-and-then. However, after switching and/or booting to a very minimalistic LibreELEC OS with a Kodi v17.1, the end result is my MXQ Pro (LibreELEC) TV Box gives a much better streaming video experience, i.e. no more crashes, etc.

PittMDN said:   TBH, I wouldn't want to waste my $$$ on a brand name product like this. The reason is simply there are lots of a much better product out there with a much better hardware specs for less, i.e. quad-/octa-core CPU with more RAM / internal Storage, H.265 hardware CoDec, etc., to better stream videos.

I have been streaming videos to watch new movies and/or live TV channels from around the world using Kodi on a Linux computer, an Android smartphone, and/or an Android TV Box (an MXQ Pro bought from eBay for less than $15). TBH, the later keeps crashing every-now-and-then. However, after switching and/or booting to a very minimalistic LibreELEC OS with a Kodi v17.1, the end result is my MXQ Pro (LibreELEC) TV Box gives a much better streaming video experience, i.e. no more crashes, etc.

That's nice and all, but a Roku does all of that just from plugging it in. No need to tinker around with programs or multiple devices. Little to no configuration. 

There is even a Roku app which connects the Roku to your Android which allows for usage from the phone. 

xenvar said:   
sechs said:   It still works.  Just ordered a second using the AmEx deal.

Thanks, Sechs. I am in for one stick on the old Sling deal. Thanks for posting the link!

No problem.  And for anyone with the Sling offer on your AmEx card, that expires today  (03/19).

Just remember to cancel Sling (if you don't want it) before the first month is up.

Link to the item online:
http://m.kohls.com/product/prd-2722037/roku-express-streaming-media-player.jsp

Better off using sling TV deal and getting a Roku stick for the same.

Tried tonight. Sold out!

I see that online too. Was this every a B&M deal? If not then I guess it's gone.

Thanks!
=aw

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017