• Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter
$14.99
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAC4Z57S5602 

Use Promo Code ALB12 for $12 off

• DSB09104-ZWUS Low-cost energy monitor for the entire home Wirelessly reports immediate wattage and kWh usage to central control point gateways Can be easily and safely installed by anyone
  •  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
"Easily and safely installed".
You need access to the AC mains to install this, and you need to be able to spread the wires in the cable far enough apart to put one clamp over each leg. It probably also has to be indoors, and obviously the cable cannot have a jacket.
Most people have no way of accessing that, unless they try to install it in the main panel, right above the HOT mains lugs. That's not safe, or easy, or code compliant.

rated:
I bought one and could not install it. The clamps are rather large. You need to make sure that you have enough room in the breaker box. Mine is very crowded.

rated:
f2000sa said:   I bought one and could not install it. The clamps are rather large. You need to make sure that you have enough room in the breaker box. Mine is very crowded.
  I hope you returned it, and gave them an earful. Aeon needs to be punished for their shameless marketing. They know very well that most people won't be able to install this safely nor easily.

rated:
What else do I need to use this ?
What is a 4HomeMedia CP  ?
link ?

rated:
I own onexperience of these and use it with my Samsung SmartThings. You do not have to remove the insulator or wire sheathing in order for it to work. What ever wires you probe is where the measuring will take place. That could be mains or dryer, heat pump, any leads you want to measure energy consumption.

rated:
mikeydread said:   I own onexperience of these and use it with my Samsung SmartThings. You do not have to remove the insulator or wire sheathing in order for it to work. What ever wires you probe is where the measuring will take place. That could be mains or dryer, heat pump, any leads you want to measure energy consumption.
  OK. So you're putting both clamps over the entire 3-wire or 4-wire cable? It doesn't make sense. The currents would cancel.
I would think you would need to put each clamp over a hot leg (if 240V), or one clamp over hot and/or one over neutral (for 120V). The only way you can do that is to remove the cable jacket (unless the wire is separately insulated and has no jacket, which should only happen in conduit)
Let me know if I'm wrong.

Either way, Aeon is marketing this to monitor mains power cables, which most people simply can't reach without digging into the panel. In fact, if the mains cable is exposed, that's really dangerous. A nick in the insulation, and you'll draw lightning bolts since there is no in-house breaker protecting you. The next breaker is on the pole, and that's a lot of amps you'll be absorbing before that trips...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017