• filter:

Transfer Lifetime Tivo from Series 2/3 for $99 w/ purchase of new Bolt ($199+)

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This seems like a good deal. I have an old Series2 sitting around, and I could buy a new Bolt for $199 and transfer the service for $99.

The normal lifetime service price is $549.

Thoughts?

http://pages.email.tivo.com/once-in-a-lifetime-pls-sale

Member Summary

Tivo (4.86kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I had bought a old TiVo a few months ago and had not transferred the device to my account. Was able to call in yesterday... (more)

Babbu (Apr. 13, 2017 @ 5:21a) |

Interesting!  Do you know if that applies to the Premiere as well?

cestmoi123 (Apr. 13, 2017 @ 6:57a) |

HOW DID IT WORK OUT FOR YOU.  DID THEY TAKE THE SERIES 2   . THEY ARE NOT HD BUT... I DID WITH A SERIES 3     HOPE FOR N... (more)

Workhaute (May. 04, 2017 @ 12:56a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Ahhh. Those jerks. You have to have your Tivo connected some time in the last year to qualify. So my Series 2 in the basement will not count.

Oh well. There's always a catch, I guess.

rated:
Is there a promo code in the e-mail? I have an unused Series2 on my account and was just looking to upgrade to 4K, but on the link it states "Must use promo code in cart:" but there is no promo code listed on the page.

When I try adding it to the cart, it shows up as full price.

Thanks!

rated:
I got this offer too, I am running a series 3 648250B.
I don't know if this is a good deal or not.

rated:
There was a promo code on the email I got. I have an old series 2 and plan to bite.

rated:
That's a very  good deal, thanks for posting!

rated:
Just noticed this

~~Only TiVo Series2/Series3, HD and HDXL DVRs with Product Lifetime service that have dialed into the TiVo service between 3/28/16 and 3/28/17 qualify. Your current box will be deactivated 10 days after you connect to the TiVo service

rated:
I understand offering it only on machines still working (like the old MSD requiring every 6 months).

But this sounds like it isn't even enough to get it out of storage and show it works. Guess I'll hook it up and let it call in regularly in case they made this offer again.

=aw

rated:
I sold a series 2 w/lifetime like 8 years ago...the serial number still shows up when I log into my ancient Tivo account.

Should I steal it back from whomever I sold it to? Muahaha.

(this is 100% a joke, that would be a total jerk move)

rated:
this deal should be posted in thin wallet dot com

rated:
This is a fantastic deal if you have the old boxes with Lifetime service. You should jump on it ASAP! and transfer the lifetime service to the newest box. Get the 1TB Tivo if you're using an antenna and/or Cable. I like the 3TB but you can't use an antenna with it, but if you're only using cable, then this is the box to get.

Tivo only gives you 10 days to transfer any programs saved on your old box to the new one before the old box is disabled. So transfer anything you want to save right away.

If you run into problems or questions regarding this promo, just call Tivo.

rated:
What's issue with this deal ,Why can't get into

rated:
Dammit! I would have jumped on this deal but I haven't dialed in with my old series 2 in ages. Damn!!!!

rated:
The Tivo community has a nice discussion of this promotion and the advantages/disadvantatges of the Bolt vs the older models for trade-in.  For example, the old Series 3 could connect by both an antenna and cable simultaneously.  The Bolt is an either or connection.
Tivo Community 

rated:
I presume they're trying to end of life the modem banks that handle calls from those old TiVos.

rated:
coolbreeze said:   I sold a series 2 w/lifetime like 8 years ago...the serial number still shows up when I log into my ancient Tivo account.

Should I steal it back from whomever I sold it to? Muahaha.

(this is 100% a joke, that would be a total jerk move)

I too sold a Series 2 w/ lifetime 8 years ago, and it still shows as "active" on my TiVo account.

I am going to jump on this deal and get a new Bolt to replace my S3 HD, but if TiVo ask me if I want to deactivate that old, long sold S2 instead of my S3 HD.... 

That old S2 is is 14 years old, it's going die soon anyway, right?

rated:
I was able to purchase a Bolt with $99 Lifetime by calling in and verify that I have S3 HD on my account. I don't remember when the last time I plugged it in and I did not receive any email codes at all.

The long wait for the outsourced foreign sales center was really long and painful!

rated:
I wish I could do this with my Replay!

rated:
Has anyone done this using a box that _hasn't_ dialled in within 12mo, using the website? Wondering whether the phone agents are unaware of that restriction. My S2DT Lifetime is in a box at home and hasn't been used in a couple of years (I used to keep it running to get MSD on my Premiere, but then they gave me a deal on Lifetime on the Premiere, and also eliminated MSDs). I'm sure it still works but hasn't "dialled in" (never actually used the phone) during the qualifying period.

I note that this offer is available (on OP's linked page) for the 500GB Bolt ($199), 1TB Bolt ($299), and 3TB Bolt+ ($499), all having a $99 Lifetime add-on when transferring. Wondering if the 1TB is worth the extra $100. Weaknees wants $200 for 2TB and for some reason I can't find any TiVo-worthy HDs on eBay (there have always been a few sellers for upgraded Premiere and S2 HDs -- I think the Bolt uses 2.5" while the older machines use 3.5"?).

=aw

rated:
I am a Tivo nut and have a few extra boxes on my account mostly picked up from thrift stores for dirt cheap and they didn't seem to care if they were on in the last year or not when I called them.  But a word of warning it used to be a lot easier to transfer old boxes with lifetime to your account.

rated:
ottawa said:   Has anyone done this using a box that _hasn't_ dialled in within 12mo, using the website? Wondering whether the phone agents are unaware of that restriction. My S2DT Lifetime is in a box at home and hasn't been used in a couple of years (I used to keep it running to get MSD on my Premiere, but then they gave me a deal on Lifetime on the Premiere, and also eliminated MSDs). I'm sure it still works but hasn't "dialled in" (never actually used the phone) during the qualifying period.

I note that this offer is available (on OP's linked page) for the 500GB Bolt ($199), 1TB Bolt ($299), and 3TB Bolt+ ($499), all having a $99 Lifetime add-on when transferring. Wondering if the 1TB is worth the extra $100. Weaknees wants $200 for 2TB and for some reason I can't find any TiVo-worthy HDs on eBay (there have always been a few sellers for upgraded Premiere and S2 HDs -- I think the Bolt uses 2.5" while the older machines use 3.5"?).

=aw

Buy the 500, a drive, and watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcH8NyRDRCU&feature=youtu.be

rated:
Can't watch the video right now, but thanks for the link. My main concern is if Weaknees wants $200 for a 2TB, whether a 1TB Bolt-rated HDD would be much less than $100. Obviously buying it myself afterwards means I have a spare 500GB.

In the past I've upgraded the S2 (and seriously considered upgrading the Premiere) but always with TiVo-quality, i.e. AV-rated, HDDs. I see stories of people buying desktop HDDs for their DVRs (TiVo and non-TiVo) but these machines are running 24/7 and either an AV-rated or a Server HDD is recommended, AFAIK.

=aw

rated:
Redbeard25 said:   
ottawa said:   Has anyone done this using a box that _hasn't_ dialled in within 12mo, using the website? Wondering whether the phone agents are unaware of that restriction. My S2DT Lifetime is in a box at home and hasn't been used in a couple of years (I used to keep it running to get MSD on my Premiere, but then they gave me a deal on Lifetime on the Premiere, and also eliminated MSDs). I'm sure it still works but hasn't "dialled in" (never actually used the phone) during the qualifying period.

I note that this offer is available (on OP's linked page) for the 500GB Bolt ($199), 1TB Bolt ($299), and 3TB Bolt+ ($499), all having a $99 Lifetime add-on when transferring. Wondering if the 1TB is worth the extra $100. Weaknees wants $200 for 2TB and for some reason I can't find any TiVo-worthy HDs on eBay (there have always been a few sellers for upgraded Premiere and S2 HDs -- I think the Bolt uses 2.5" while the older machines use 3.5"?).

=aw

Buy the 500, a drive, and watch this:

Man, I remember when I got a the new dual-tuner Series 2 (80GB HD) and I upgraded it with TWO 320GB drives.  This is back in 2005 or so, I thought I was the coolest.  640GB OF STORAGE!  Now I have a 12TB NAS in my basement, lol.

rated:
So I just call Tivo Customer service and tell them you heard about the deal, they were more then happy to upgrade my really old Sony DVR and my Tivo HD which both had lifetime and were collecting dust.  Just fyi the 199.99 price for the 500GB unit is about 60.00 more then Amazon price, same as the 1TB model which I think is a bit of a markup for just 500gb more.....  Few things I don't like about upgrading is 4 channel recording, my old has 6 channel and it's WHITE !! What we all want to see is a white device in front of our TV's....

The Sony Tivo is in the garage and I haven't plugged it in a few years and the Tivo HD was connected to the internet, but think the OS was toast it locked up on boot, so he did ask me to give him a number of the back of the boxes, but I told him the old Sony was on a shelf in the garage, and he said don't worry about it.

GL and I hope Tivo stays in Biz, love the interface and features, but Tivo really needs to get in the game with more companies as a core OS device

rated:
npuls said:   I am a Tivo nut and have a few extra boxes on my account mostly picked up from thrift stores for dirt cheap and they didn't seem to care if they were on in the last year or not when I called them.  But a word of warning it used to be a lot easier to transfer old boxes with lifetime to your account.
  Can you explain how to transfer boxes with lifetime to my account and how is it harder than before?  

My coworker has offered me his old box or promo code and I'm wondering what the easiest/safest way to do this is to take advantage of this promotion.  I'm thinking of having him order the Bolt with his account and me paying him back.  Then when he gets the new bolt in, transfer it from his account to my account.  Obviously would be easier to transfer his old box to my account and then to do the promo myself but I'm not sure if that will allow me to do this promotion.

rated:
norahs said:   
npuls said:   I am a Tivo nut and have a few extra boxes on my account mostly picked up from thrift stores for dirt cheap and they didn't seem to care if they were on in the last year or not when I called them.  But a word of warning it used to be a lot easier to transfer old boxes with lifetime to your account.
  Can you explain how to transfer boxes with lifetime to my account and how is it harder than before?  

My coworker has offered me his old box or promo code and I'm wondering what the easiest/safest way to do this is to take advantage of this promotion.  I'm thinking of having him order the Bolt with his account and me paying him back.  Then when he gets the new bolt in, transfer it from his account to my account.  Obviously would be easier to transfer his old box to my account and then to do the promo myself but I'm not sure if that will allow me to do this promotion.

I have spoken to TiVo about a similar transfer and they told me the simplest way is to upgrade on the other users account and then transfer to you a couple days later.

rated:
hmmm, need to find the fine print. I transferred my lifetime to my Series3 from a 2 many years ago and they always stated that I can't xfer again.

rated:
Anybody got the code?

rated:
I put a 500GB in my S2DT and it's bigger than my Premiere.

I do worry about a Bolt with 500GB, though since 4K is only for streaming (Netflix and YouTube, don't know about any others like Amazon) I guess it doesn't matter. Presumably if Comcast ever comes out with a 4K service, the Bolt might not work with it if the existing CableCard standard doesn't support it (I have no idea).

I tried Netflix 4K with my TV's built-in Netflix app, and to be honest I didn't see any difference between that and the HD version, upscaled by the TV. So the main benefits of this Bolt offer would be 4 tuners vs 2 on the Premiere, and newer hardware.

=aw

rated:
ottawa said:   
I do worry about a Bolt with 500GB

My new Bolt won't be delivered until the end of next week, but I've already ordered a 3TB drive to slap in it day one. From what I see upgrading a Bolt is a piece of cake compared with older TiVos. I used to have a S2 with 2 3.5" drives and an extra cooling fan in it - a noisy, hot running box that was

rated:
ganda said:   
ottawa said:   

My new Bolt won't be delivered until the end of next week, but I've already ordered a 3TB drive to slap in it day one. From what I see upgrading a Bolt is a piece of cake compared with older TiVos. I used to have a S2 with 2 3.5" drives and an extra cooling fan in it - a noisy, hot running box that was

Which drive did you order?  

rated:
It's funny but I've never upgraded the Premiere's 320GB because in the past when I've priced (say) 1TB drives, it was just as cheap to get a 3TB or 4TB external for my computer and just pull the recordings over every day (I never bothered automating it). Obviously there's a risk using an external desktop drive, but it's not like it's writing 24/7 which it does with the TiVo internal.

Has anyone ordered this Lifetime-Transfer directly off the website? Or does doing that just direct you to phone their call centre?

Thanks!
=aw

rated:
Anybody try a lifetime transfer off a newer TiVo Premiere? My 2nd tuner died inside the first year and I'd really like to get that service onto the better platform. I'm happy to call and negotiate, just curious if anybody had tried the deal with a newer model. Thanks!

rated:
Just in case anyone didn't notice, the 3TB in Black for $499 (+$99 LT transfer) is actually the Bolt+.

=aw

rated:
I clicked on OP's link and it shows the $99 offer, but above ADD TO CART it says

MUST USE PROMO CODE IN CART:

with no Promo Code showing. Were those unique to each person?

=aw

rated:
I just called Tivo about a Series 3 with lifetime I have and they would not honor as it has not connected since 2013. I'll try again in a few minutes.

rated:
I have 2 series 2 with lifetime and they haven't been used since I gave up cable and don't have OTA reception.
This sounds like a good deal for the Bolt but the cost of cable... forget it.

rated:
Yes, this seems like a good deal.

rated:
Bruzer said:   
ganda said:   
ottawa said:   

Which drive did you order?  

A Toshiba MQ03ABB300

Skipping 36 Messages...
rated:
HOW DID IT WORK OUT FOR YOU.  DID THEY TAKE THE SERIES 2   . THEY ARE NOT HD BUT... I DID WITH A SERIES 3     HOPE FOR NEXT YEAR DO IT AGAIN AND USEA SERIES 2

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017