• filter:
This deal has expired.

TIVO Roamio 500GB OTA w/ Lifetime Subscription 72 Hour Flash Sale $249.99+tax

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
 Tivo-Renewed 500GB Roamio OTA w/ Lifetime Subscription. 
Free shipping + 30 Days Money-back Guarantee

http://pages.email.tivo.com/roamio-ota-72-hour-flash-sale/?utm_s... 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Nice find OP.

rated:
What is the regular price?

rated:
Be aware this is a refurb.

rated:
I'm surprised this solution isn't more popular, with so many cutting cable. The best thing about cable in my opinion is the DVR, but to go OTA without DVR would be a deal breaker for me, even with streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. I don't have a Roamio myself, but instead I built a Windows 7 PC with Windows Media Center, to do the same thing (OTA DVR). But if I didn't have that, I would surely buy into this. And for those who don't want to deal with configuring a PC to do so, this seems like a great all-in-one solution. And at $250 with no fees ever, that's pretty solid. I almost still want to buy one, that's the Fatwallet effect eh?

rated:
Is hard disk DIY upgradable, say, to 5TB?

rated:
TooManyToys said:   I'm surprised this solution isn't more popular, with so many cutting cable. The best thing about cable in my opinion is the DVR, but to go OTA without DVR would be a deal breaker for me, even with streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. I don't have a Roamio myself, but instead I built a Windows 7 PC with Windows Media Center, to do the same thing (OTA DVR). But if I didn't have that, I would surely buy into this. And for those who don't want to deal with configuring a PC to do so, this seems like a great all-in-one solution. And at $250 with no fees ever, that's pretty solid. I almost still want to buy one, that's the Fatwallet effect eh?
  It is becoming more popular because Tivo is starting to sell their lifetime subscription for a good price now.  Before it was always a high monthly price.

rated:
TooManyToys said:   I'm surprised this solution isn't more popular, with so many cutting cable. The best thing about cable in my opinion is the DVR, but to go OTA without DVR would be a deal breaker for me, even with streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. I don't have a Roamio myself, but instead I built a Windows 7 PC with Windows Media Center, to do the same thing (OTA DVR). But if I didn't have that, I would surely buy into this. And for those who don't want to deal with configuring a PC to do so, this seems like a great all-in-one solution. And at $250 with no fees ever, that's pretty solid. I almost still want to buy one, that's the Fatwallet effect eh?
  The fact that a device like the Tivo exists, and is completely legal, is exactly what keeps me from buying it. Why is it legal for me to have a device that automatically downloads and organizes any shows I want that are free OTA, and allows me to skip the commercials, but it's illegal for me to download a torrent of someone else's recording of the same shows? That makes no sense, and thus I download my OTA shows.

rated:
MisterBeefhead said:   
  The fact that a device like the Tivo exists, and is completely legal, is exactly what keeps me from buying it. Why is it legal for me to have a device that automatically downloads and organizes any shows I want that are free OTA, and allows me to skip the commercials, but it's illegal for me to download a torrent of someone else's recording of the same shows? That makes no sense, and thus I download my OTA shows.

I know the question was somewhat rhetorical, but it has to do with the locus of distribution. It's legal for you to record television because of Universal Studios v. Sony Corporation of America. That ruling basically says that when a broadcaster broadcasts, it is fair use to preserve that broadcast for future personal viewing. And, even though you are skipping the commercials, you are recording the commercials. They're there.

That ruling did not make it legal for you to redistribute your recordings (which is what the torrenter is doing.)  The DMCA is why it's illegal to download torrents - you're obtaining a copy of the copyrighted material from someone who does not have permission to distribute it. 

Oh, and IANAL.

rated:
can we record OTA Free-to-Air satellite programs?

rated:
Redbeard25 said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   

I know the question was somewhat rhetorical, but it has to do with the locus of distribution. It's legal for you to record television because of Universal Studios v. Sony Corporation of America. That ruling basically says that when a broadcaster broadcasts, it is fair use to preserve that broadcast for future personal viewing. And, even though you are skipping the commercials, you are recording the commercials. They're there.

That ruling did not make it legal for you to redistribute your recordings (which is what the torrenter is doing.)  The DMCA is why it's illegal to download torrents - you're obtaining a copy of the copyrighted material from someone who does not have permission to distribute it. 

Oh, and IANAL.

Very good explanation!  

rated:
Redbeard25 said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   

I know the question was somewhat rhetorical, but it has to do with the locus of distribution. It's legal for you to record television because of Universal Studios v. Sony Corporation of America. That ruling basically says that when a broadcaster broadcasts, it is fair use to preserve that broadcast for future personal viewing. And, even though you are skipping the commercials, you are recording the commercials. They're there.

That ruling did not make it legal for you to redistribute your recordings (which is what the torrenter is doing.)  The DMCA is why it's illegal to download torrents - you're obtaining a copy of the copyrighted material from someone who does not have permission to distribute it. 

Oh, and IANAL.

Right, but my question still stands, which is why is it illegal. I am well aware that it is illegal.

Networks would like it if home recording were illegal as well. It is staggeringly obvious that the current model of obtaining television shows via a multitude of pay services is short lived. If networks had any clue whatsoever they would start offering free downloads or streaming of their shows, with commercials intact. They still have a chance to retain the advertising dollars and get folks on board. But due to greed, they won't offer anything like this until it's far too late, much like with the music recording industry.

We all pick and choose which laws we will obey on a daily basis. We all have our own morals. When a thing is clearly not morally wrong, when the law is hypocritical, and when the law is essentially unenforced, the choice isn't exactly difficult.

rated:
MisterBeefhead said:   
We all pick and choose which laws we will obey on a daily basis.

I just selected this quote because the rest doesn't matter if you believe this inaccurate statement.  YOU might pick and choose which laws you obey...I can tell you that I attempt to obey ALL of the laws.  If you don't like a law, get your community to change it.  If you don't like the licensing models...create your own entertainment and find out how hard, expensive and risky it is yourself.

rated:
canex said:   Is hard disk DIY upgradable, say, to 5TB?
  You just plug in an external eSATA hard drive and you are ready to go.  So yes, user upgradeable and pretty easy to do.  No opening up the unit.

rated:
canex said:   Is hard disk DIY upgradable, say, to 5TB?
I can't say for sure about 5TB, but an upgrade to a 3TB drive took about 10 minutes, and formatting is all done by the TiVo unit on the next boot. Immediately had something like 365 hours of HD recording time available after the upgrade. Even used the same WD green drive model that TiVo uses.

Edit to note that mine was an internal HDD upgrade. No exterior "dongles", the only trick was opening up the case, but there are YouTube videos to show you where the hidden plastic clips are located to open it up.

rated:
ezwrighter said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   

I just selected this quote because the rest doesn't matter if you believe this inaccurate statement.  YOU might pick and choose which laws you obey...I can tell you that I attempt to obey ALL of the laws.

It's you! You're that nincompoop who sits in the left lane at 65mph. Stop it!

rated:
TooManyToys said:   [I'm surprised this solution isn't more popular, with so many cutting cable. The best thing about cable in my opinion is the DVR, but to go OTA without DVR would be a deal breaker for me, even with streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. I don't have a Roamio myself, but instead I built a Windows 7 PC with Windows Media Center, to do the same thing (OTA DVR).]

[But if I didn't have that, I would surely buy into this. And for those who don't want to deal with configuring a PC to do so, this seems like a great all-in-one solution. And at $250 with no fees ever, that's pretty solid. I almost still want to buy one, that's the Fatwallet effect eh?]

I used that solution for a few years, and it got to be so frustrating, chasing down software problems / updates / listing sources, that I KNEW, the INSTANT I learned this existed, I wanted it.  I paid $300 for mine, and I still consider it the best $300 I've spent in ages.  I've had mine about 18 months, and I love it.  I popped in a 3GB drive, with ease, and it has been foolproof and trouble-free.  At $250 this is really a good deal.  In other words, yeah, I agree with you -- I'm just not as patient in dealing with Media Center headaches!

rated:
I run Media Center as well and have been for 8 years. It has worked great for me in that time but I don't think the guide data will last much longer. I am thinking about a TiVo but my issue is that I run MC on a dedicated HTPC and use extenders on 4 other TVs in my house. Does the TiVo work as a whole house DVR or do I need to shell out the $250 for each television?

rated:
ezwrighter said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   

I just selected this quote because the rest doesn't matter if you believe this inaccurate statement.  YOU might pick and choose which laws you obey...I can tell you that I attempt to obey ALL of the laws.  If you don't like a law, get your community to change it.  If you don't like the licensing models...create your own entertainment and find out how hard, expensive and risky it is yourself.

Fair enough, but lots of luck getting a law changed.

I would like to ask you, though: You're saying that if there was a law that was completely unenforced; that made little sense, at least in your particular circumstance; that hurt no one in the world to break; and that stood in the way of the natural path of your life, that you would still attempt to obey said law? And if so: why?

rated:
The only comment I have is that the tuner section is not nearly as good as my series 3. I frequently have dropouts on the Roamia . The signal strength is about 97 on KLRU on the series 3 and I do well to go above 70 on the Roamio. The series 3 hangs in through most atmospherics. It doesn't take much to cause dropouts on the Roamio.

rated:
The only comment I have is that the tuner section is not nearly as good as my series 3. I frequently have dropouts on the Roamia . The signal strength is about 97 on KLRU on the series 3 and I do well to go above 70 on the Roamio. The series 3 hangs in through most atmospherics. It doesn't take much to cause dropouts on the Roamio.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017