rated:
Ideapad 110S - $109.99 at Best Buy

Member Summary

lenovo (31.54kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You really have to be careful with these lowest end "laptops". I think the companies go so far in cutting cost that the system is barely usable - and almost none of them is upgradeable (i.e. you can't add memory). I generally like Lenovo products, but this one only has 2GB Memory and 32GB eMMC Flash Memory (instead of a hard drive).
Windows 10 will barely run on a 2GB system (and then only if it can "page" a lot - which requires storage space, which is sorely lacking on this system), and with only 32GB of storage, there is barely room for windows (just a win10 install is about 12 or 15gb). In fact, a guy I know had a 32GB win 10 rig - and when it went to do a big windows update, it crashed because it couldn't even hold the whole update file.
We have a couple of small 2gb/64gb systems and they do OK for light browsing, email, etc. but I personally wouldn't wouldn't go any smaller on a windows machine. However, that is must my 2 cents. YMMV

rated:
yahoot said:   You really have to be careful with these lowest end "laptops". I think the companies go so far in cutting cost that the system is barely usable - and almost none of them is upgradeable (i.e. you can't add memory). I generally like Lenovo products, but this one only has 2GB Memory and 32GB eMMC Flash Memory (instead of a hard drive).
Windows 10 will barely run on a 2GB system (and then only if it can "page" a lot - which requires storage space, which is sorely lacking on this system), and with only 32GB of storage, there is barely room for windows (just a win10 install is about 12 or 15gb). In fact, a guy I know had a 32GB win 10 rig - and when it went to do a big windows update, it crashed because it couldn't even hold the whole update file.
We have a couple of small 2gb/64gb systems and they do OK for light browsing, email, etc. but I personally wouldn't wouldn't go any smaller on a windows machine. However, that is must my 2 cents. YMMV

I am the OP and have a lot of experience with this machine.

Have 3 of the older versions of 110s (with Z3735 CPU) and another similar ASUS laptop (2 Adults and 2 middle schoolers)..

These are basically for web browsing / homework / email / reading.
Tablets with keyboards.

The good things..

Very light
Nearly 12 hours battery life
180 degree hinge
No magnetic disk (so, you can hold the machine in any position).
Also starts up fast because of the Solid State disk.

Bad things ..
32 GB is not much. After OS, leaves about 7-10 GB free.
So, occasionally need to clean up the junk with CCleaner.
Need to remove the old versions of OS after new releases.

This CPU is twice as fast as the older Atom CPU I have.

My family reaches out to regular laptops only for serious work.
Rest of the time, these little laptops and the Amazon Kindles rule..

Hope this is helpful.

rated:
Would these be good for running a cloud based software? It says so on the best buy website but I would need to pull images occasionally (no video) but concerned that 2GB ram may not be sufficient. The software I am using says 2GB ram is minimum but reccomends 4GB but at this price it's really tempting to pull trigger to just try.

Any advice or personal experience is helpful. Thanks again BargainJunkie for posting!

rated:
Would these be good for running a cloud based software? It says so on the best buy website but I would need to pull images occasionally (no video) but concerned that 2GB ram may not be sufficient. The software I am using says 2GB ram is minimum but reccomends 4GB but at this price it's really tempting to pull trigger to just try.

Any advice or personal experience is helpful. Thanks again BargainJunkie for posting!

rated:
BargainsJunkie said:   No magnetic disk (so, you can hold the machine in any position).

Are you talking about a traditional hard drive? If so, you can hold one in any position, doesnt matter.

rated:
Bought this last year and ended up returning it. Just too slow and limited.

For the same money got a used laptop with far better cpu, more memory, more storage.

rated:
I would rarely neg anything here, but the 32GB SSD means Windows Updates just don't install. Especially major updates. If it was 64gb it would be a good machine, but 32Gb is just not enough for Windows let alone anything else.

rated:
keaton85 said:   
BargainsJunkie said:   No magnetic disk (so, you can hold the machine in any position).
  Are you talking about a traditional hard drive? If so, you can hold one in any position, doesnt matter.

2 reasons to prefer SSD drives instead of magnetic drives (in addition to the speed)..
With magnetic drives, there is spinning parts, causing the noise and also the fact that it requires a fan to eliminate the heat generated.
Both the hard drive and the fan drain the battery faster.
If you keep using the laptop with harddrive and fan, lying down in bed, with the laptop base not flat horizontally, the fan wears out faster.

Without any moving parts (and not much heat), these low powered machines last longer.

rated:
It has USB 3.0 so you can always install external RAM, SSD and GPU. The only thing lacking is the CPU, but most applications don't require fast CPU these days.  My question is if it is possible to install Linux on it?

rated:
I have a couple tablets with similar specs. The secret to using these with 32 GB is to put in a 64 GB or 128 GB SD card and configure Windows to use it for everything, pictures, documents, apps, etc. As long as you keep the internal storage limited to the OS, you shouldn't have any problems with updates. That being said, I think this configuration is much more appropriate for tablets. They are small, silent, and make good HTPCs (I am actually writing this now on a tablet attached to my TV). If you are doing much more than web browsing or watching video (which they actually do quite well) you'd be better off spending a little more or getting a used/refurb laptop with better specs.

BTW, this is not a 32 GB SSD, but eMMC, which is much slower.

rated:
imo if you're going to go this cheap for a tablet-with-keyboard setup, you are better off getting a Chromebook. Chrome OS is optimized to give you a decent experience on crappy hardware

rated:
Price is now $169.99.
Not a cheap laptop anymore
It is now a top brand ultra-portable with superior battery life

rated:
keaton85 said:   

No disk cares what orientation it is in. straight, angled, upside down, bi; it will still work

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017