LG - 29" IPS LCD HD 21:9 UltraWide Monitor $209.99 @Bestbuy

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Bestbuy has LG - 29" IPS LCD HD 21:9 UltraWide Monitor on sale for $209.99.
Shipping is free.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-ips-lcd-hd-219-ultrawide-monitor/4922000.p?skuId=4922000

Member Summary

LG - 29" IPS LCD HD 21:9 UltraWide Monitor
Thanks TheRedBaaron
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am currently using this, paid $199 for it a year and a half ago as well, I'm sure they don't move many. The monitor is great stuff, excellent quality matte panel and it even comes with a calibration report specific to your monitor in the box. The only drawback is living the life of an ultra wide screen user. Windows works fantastic with it, but games are a mixed bag. Older games simply don't support it, while some support it fully in game but cinimatics (witcher 3 and GTA 4) switch to widescreen. Some games support it but do so in a bad way like overwatch which didn't support UWS at launch because they both considered it an unfair advantage and blamed the first person animations later patched in a version of support that cropped off the bottom and top of the game to expand the sides. We saw this back when widescreen was being introduced to full screen games but UWS is in no way replacing the 16x9 format and thus support will forever be "optional".

As for movies, 16x9 videos give you side bars while ciniscope movies can be expanded to the near full size of the screen. Do note that youtube has no support so even ciniscope trailers or movies offered on it will be severely letter Boxed. This is probably the same for any other streaming service. AFAIK netflix still required the use of a third party hack plugin (which can also be used on youtube) to force zoom videos to UWS. The bad thing is it does it to all videos.

I did have a hardware conflict with my older yamaha reciever HDMI which forced me to fall back to the optical cable, but my newly upgraded yamaha now supports UWS resolutions. I like the monitors low height profile. It is close to a 24" when viewing 16x9. 

thanks for the great insight! - been wanting a UWS/Curved UWS but suspected i'd be buying a lot of unused screen area for most of my uses - video and gaming. Looks like I'll be playing the 1080p game for at least a couple more years - at least until VR matures. I guess I'll just keep looking for a deal on a freesync monitor.

jeffmd said:   Some games support it but do so in a bad way like overwatch which didn't support UWS at launch because they both considered it an unfair advantage and blamed the first person animations later patched in a version of support that cropped off the bottom and top of the game to expand the sides. We saw this back when widescreen was being introduced to full screen games but UWS is in no way replacing the 16x9 format and thus support will forever be "optional".

I have the LG 29UM65 model and have played Overwatch on PS4 since its release without any issues.  

$315.00 ?????

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017