• filter:

WD My Passport 4TB External Portable Hard Drive + $25 Gift Card $117.99 @ Best Buy w/FS

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Best Buy has the WD My Passport 4TB External Portable Hard Drive + $25 Gift Card on sale for $117.99 with free shipping. Note: Black is the only color on sale for $117.99, the other colors are $119.99.

• 4TB Storage Capacity
  • Data Transfer Rates up to 5 Gbps
  • Automatic Backup Options

4.5/5 stars based on 1,529 customer reviews at Amazon - $114.97.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This is 5400 rpm drive, correct?

rated:
Very Hot!

rated:
hardware encryption ruins it

rated:
po90260 said:   hardware encryption ruins it
  Why?  It's probably the only USB powered 4TB for $93 after GC and you say that 'ruins it'?

I would take this over a 4TB Seagate anyday!

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
  Why?  It's probably the only USB powered 4TB for $93 after GC and you say that 'ruins it'?

Have a 4TB Portable External USB 3.0 - STEA4000400, goes on the road / work every week. Have Playon (DVR streamer) installed on my main desktop at home, writing to a dedicated 4TB (3.5) HDD. When I'm home I mirror copy this drive to my Seagate 4TB portable. Been working fine since Sept 5, 2016 ... runs about 30 hours a week attached to my media play. So far not any issues ... if it would die I still have all the media stored on my main HDD at home. For $99.99 the Seagate gamble has worked out for me.

rated:
bluechipwi said:   

Have a 4TB Portable External USB 3.0 - STEA4000400, goes on the road / work every week. Have Playon (DVR streamer) installed on my main desktop at home, writing to a dedicated 4TB (3.5) HDD. When I'm home I mirror copy this drive to my Seagate 4TB portable. Been working fine since Sept 5, 2016 ... runs about 30 hours a week attached to my media play. So far not any issues ... if it would die I still have all the media stored on my main HDD at home. For $99.99 the Seagate gamble has worked out for me.

According to Backblaze, yup that's a gamble
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/
They had a 35% failure rate on their 4TB product 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   

If controller fails you can't recover your data. 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
bluechipwi said:   

According to Backblaze, yup that's a gamble
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/
They had a 35% failure rate on their 4TB product 

Wow... Good to know.  Thanks

rated:
dead...

rated:
They have the

WD Easystore 4TB at Bestbuy for $99.99 today but no GC.

How is this drive?

rated:
Better since no encryption and smaller footprint.

po90260 said:   
forbin4040 said:   

If controller fails you can't recover your data. 

What would you want, a drive that has a 1% or less than failure rate, or a drive with a 35% chance of failure.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017