• filter:

Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM006) $59.99 at amazon.com

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM006)
$59.99
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM006/dp/B01IEKG402

Member Summary

seagate (19.70kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Pros: This Seagate drive (ST2000DM006) from Amazon is $10 cheaper than at Microcenter, all 11 User Reviews at Microcenter are pos. and 2TB is big!
Cons:
A) There's 909 User Reviews at Amazon, with 20% at 3 stars or less. In my opinion that's too many.
B) Those less pos. reviews appear to be that some drives arrived DOA,
C) Some of the replacements were allegedly bad too.
D) The User has to pay for the return shipping to Seagate.
E) Like many manufacturer's, the replacements from Seagate are not new.
F) Some neg. reviews include drive noise - and I'd be concerned Seagate may not consider that outside of its warranty.
G) Some Users report that the drive noise can be fixed with a firmware update, but the update procedure is erroneous and/or not clear.
H) Some Users allege Seagate's Customer Service / Tech Support is bad.

So, I guess it can be a good deal, if you are not concerned with some of the User Reviews on Amazon
To Seagate: I'm disappointed with the reviews, and expected better.

rated:
Title says: "Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA III 3.5" Internal SSD (ST2000DM006)". It's not an SSD, it's a traditional magnetic, mechanical, spinning hard drive.

rated:
smalmkar said:   Title says: "Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA III 3.5" Internal SSD (ST2000DM006)". It's not an SSD, it's a traditional magnetic, mechanical, spinning hard drive.
  They fixed it.

rated:
Can I put this in my TiVo?

rated:
Newegg has this Toshiba 2TB drive for the same price, shipped:  DDT01ACA200.  It seems to be based on a Hitachi/HGST design.  

At LinusTechTips.com, a discussion thread says some versions of this Seagate drive have 3 platters, others have 2, and it's unusual for a 2TB 3.5" hard drive made in the past 3+ years to have 3 platters.  There's nothing wrong with that, either for reliability or performance (OK, an extra platter might increase the power consumption by about 1/2 watt), but it's just strange.  

I have no idea how reliable this Seagate is, but with any new drive it doesn't hurt to run MHDD (UltimateBootCD.com, HDDguru.com) and its surface scan for a few days.  Here are MHDD results for Seagate and Toshiba 2TB drives:
Seagate 2TB 2000DM001-1E6164:  

< 3ms:  15,430,729
  <10ms:  187,015
  <50ms:  372
 <150ms:  1,379
 <500ms:  1
 >500ms:  0

Toshiba PX300 HDWD120SATA 

< 3ms:  15,312,398
  <10ms:  9,972
  <50ms:  97
 <150ms:  57
 <500ms:  0
 >500ms:  0  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017