Linksys Advanced DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem $19.99 @Amazon

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
(For Comcast)

rated:
This is an 8X4 modem, which isn't the latest tech available, if that is important to you then there you have it.

Aside from that this modem will be plenty fast enough for most of us. If you have Comcast/Xfinity andstill have a DOCSIS 2 modem, either leased or owned, grab this and don't think twice, setup and install should be a breeze, and the $10 a month savings would cover the cost in two months, and if you are still using a D2 device unless you are using ancient equipment you will notice the improved speeds immediately.

Setup really couldn't be easier, you probably won't even need to call in. Remove your old modem, take the new one out of the box, connect the Coax, ethernet and power wires and let it set for a few minutes, the lights should flash and do their thing for a while, once it locks it will begin a download which will take a few more minutes. Once that download is done, and the modem reboots itself and comes back online, it should be in "walled garden".

Once in "walled garden", which is where no matter what address you type in it gives you a page asking for your account number and phone number. Enter your account and phone number, and follow on screen directions, after that it should restart again, and do yet another download, maybe two. Once those are done, you should be online. If you are renting your old modem, turn it in, if you own your old modem do with it what you wish. If that doesn't work as described, call Comcast, they will need the serial number and MAC address of the modem, the procedures will be similar, the modem will have to lock, download bootfiles and reset a couple of times before it will get you on the net.

Keep in mind a new modem will not fix bad wiring or bad signal. If you are having trouble already a new modem is actually not that likely to fix the problem, bad wiring or signal far more likely than a bad modem, unfortunately without special tools and equipment it can be hard to trouble shoot signal levels and wiring.

rated:
Very nice post. I've always just called Comcast when I had a new modem. Didn't know you could do it on your own.

rated:
Inb4 legion of naysayers who think 3.0 is outdated and you shouldn't even think of buying anything less than 3.1.

rated:

rated:
Docsis 3.0 is not outdated, it's just isn't "the latest"
And just because a standard is adopted, does NOT mean it will be deployed, or how long it will be before it is deployed

3.1 does not significantly add any new features and will work just fine up to and including 350Meg
The only new feature it adds is full duplexing which will get you slightly higher speeds "over copper" (realistically SUB gigabit, although, LONG term it will be higher)
Since only a handful of cities will have a 3.1 rollout and many more cities are going FIOS, 3.0 is still a safe bet for at least a couple of years, and since TWO MONTHS is the date where the return on investment is satidfied, it IS a good buy. Bear in mind this does not include the wifi router/gateway.

Since most of us are not even at 300M and since most cities do NOT expect a 3.1 rollout either because of sticking with 3.0 OR because of FIOS. What's the problem.

rated:
harrisonh said:   Docsis 3.0 is not outdated, it's just isn't "the latest"
And just because a standard is adopted, does NOT mean it will be deployed, or how long it will be before it is deployed

3.1 does not significantly add any new features and will work just fine up to and including 350Meg
The only new feature it adds is full duplexing which will get you slightly higher speeds "over copper" (realistically SUB gigabit, although, LONG term it will be higher)
Since only a handful of cities will have a 3.1 rollout and many more cities are going FIOS, 3.0 is still a safe bet for at least a couple of years, and since TWO MONTHS is the date where the return on investment is satidfied, it IS a good buy. Bear in mind this does not include the wifi router/gateway.

Since most of us are not even at 300M and since most cities do NOT expect a 3.1 rollout either because of sticking with 3.0 OR because of FIOS. What's the problem.

I absolutely agree. I install modems every day, and this is exactly the way I see it. If there were 3.1 modems available for $50-60, then that would be the way to go, but there aren't. If you are currently renting a modem buying this one at $20 now will save you enough money to buy a top of the line modem and separate router in two or three years when it makes sense to upgrade. If you buy an expensive 3.1 modem today worried about future capability, you will be needing to upgrade it in about that same time frame anyway.

rated:
I saw this deal and thought wow that's a good price, and my current modem drops my connection way too often. Then I click it and I see that it's the same modem. Yes, it is a good deal but look at the reviews. Disconnecting is unfortunately a common problem.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017