• filter:

Oil Change Bundle - $5.00 + P/U @ Autozone (Funnel, shop towel, drain pan, hand cleaner)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Autozone has an Oil Change Bundle on sale for $5.00 with free in-store pickup. 

UPDATE: Link appears to be breaking. C&P http://www.autozone.com/deals/dealMaker/dealMaker.jsp?catId=101035&dealId=84137&systemCode=10&showDealMaker=true

This offer ends on August 21st.

Bundle includes:

• Scott Roll Shop Towel
  • Permatex Fast Orange Pumice Hand Cleaner
  • FloTool Drain Pan
  • FloTool Funnel

Member Summary
Staff Summary
This topic is also a best deal
$5.00
(was $10.75)
AutoZone
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
For some reason, I cant find it

rated:
Add qty 1 of each and savings are applied in cart. Saved me about $5 bucks! Thanks OP!

rated:
try this link
http://www.autozone.com/deals/dealMaker/dealMaker.jsp?catId=101035&dealId=84137&systemCode=10&showDealMaker=true

rated:
You'll need a more complete better quality bundle than this.    There are auto forums online that will explain what to purchase. 

rated:
po90260 said:   You'll need a more complete better quality bundle than this.    There are auto forums online that will explain what to purchase. 
  I'm no expert, but this seems like a bare bones way to do your oil change. I personally will never do another oil change without gloves after learning used motor oil contains loads of chemical toxins such including heavy metals...

rated:
I am new one and do not know how to find it

rated:
OK, it's really a good deal.

rated:
po90260 said:   You'll need a more complete better quality bundle than this.    There are auto forums online that will explain what to purchase. 

As long as you have a safe way to elevate your car, I think this should cover the basics.

Other things you need:

• maybe 75 more rolls of shop towels
  • an old cardboard box to lie on
  • oil filter
  • new oil
  • oil filter wrench (potentially)
  • a reservoir for your used oil
  • 7-12 beers
  • patience for when something inevitably goes wrong

Can anyone think of anything else? I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe more beer just to be on the safe side  

rated:
st4rdust said:   

As long as you have a safe way to elevate your car, I think this should cover the basics.

Other things you need:

• maybe 75 more rolls of shop towels
  • an old cardboard box to lie on
  • oil filter
  • new oil
  • oil filter wrench (potentially)
  • a reservoir for your used oil
  • 7-12 beers
  • patience for when something inevitably goes wrong

Can anyone think of anything else? I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe more beer just to be on the safe side

i only have a new cardboard box to lie on so will have to postpone the oil change until the box ages

rated:
I use this exact kit 4 times a year. I've bought everything from suction powered vacuum pumps to heavy duty sealed 10+ qt drain pans over the years. None have lasted.

You definitely want to wear gloves when doing an oil change.

This type of pan lets you see the oil in it. The sealed type makes it hard to judge when the oil will "slosh" out. You also can sometimes slide it under a car without raising it at all, because it is very shallow.

It is thin, and spills if you aren't super careful pouring the old oil out, but it gets the job done just fine. And I like that I can clean it up easy, I wipe it down with 2 shop towels and it looks brand new. No oil getting stuck in small raised text or bumpy texture like more expensive pans.

rated:
st4rdust said:   Can anyone think of anything else? I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe more beer just to be on the safe side
Fumoto Valve  

rated:
I don't trust others to change my oil. Draining the old oil is pretty easy. The most difficult part is usually taking out the old oil filter. Wish they put the filter on top like the new Suburu engines.

rated:

What... like you need a car to actually put this to use?  LOL

All I need is the drain pan.

rated:
cnev300d said:   I don't trust others to change my oil. Draining the old oil is pretty easy. The most difficult part is usually taking out the old oil filter. Wish they put the filter on top like the new Suburu engines.
 Same here. I have seen way too many f'ed up oil change jobs done by auto shops. I guess the profit margin is just too slim for them to care.

A few tips for newbies...
1. The drain plug gasket lasts quite a long time but replace it anyway as they are cheap.  The purists replace them every time. I do it every other oil change.
2. Avoid Fram oil filters.  Use Bosch distance plus if you want a premium filter or Purolator One if you want bang for your buck. Rub some engine oil onto the new filter gasket before putting it on. Prefill the filter with new engine oil if possible. Hand tighten the filter like you are tightening a mason jar lid. You really don't need a filter wrench.
3. Put the drain plug back on with your hand to avoid cross threading. Tighten it with a wrench but don't over tighten. This is the number one screw up by shops. When they say you need a new oil pan/ drilling a new plug hole after an oil change, what really happened is they screwed up and cross threaded the plug.

rated:
cnev300d said:   I don't trust others to change my oil. Draining the old oil is pretty easy. The most difficult part is usually taking out the old oil filter. Wish they put the filter on top like the new Suburu engines.
Subaru FA or FB engine + Fumoto Valve = quick and clean oil change.    

rated:
No Fram bashing please, it's OK 99.999999% of the time, just like regular speaker wire is OK 99.999999% of the time.  Another benefit of Fram, it puts less strain on the oil pump.

rated:
HuggieBear said:   No Fram bashing please, it's OK 99.999999% of the time, just like regular speaker wire is OK 99.999999% of the time.  Another benefit of Fram, it puts less strain on the oil pump.

Agree with 99.99% of the time that it's ok.

I don't know about the strain on the oil pump, never seen anyone tested that.  But IMO it's like you putting more strain on your heart by walking up a slop.

rated:
If you don't want to go the Fumoto route, this actually makes me look forward to oil changes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054WI7CW/ref=oh_aui_search_d...

rated:
I found those black drain pains at Dollar Tree for $1.00. They also had different size funnels from the long thin ones I use for transmission fluid for a buck, stiff bigger Mouth and flexible trunk with screen (not for hot oil in the last kind). When the oil is cool enough, just pour it in rinsed out liquid laundry and bleach containers and Mark with marker. (They are free at laundry mats and your helping recycle the containers).

I agree the oil change bundle should have better stuff. I wouldn't mind having that drain plug pro magnetic drain plug remover instead or a gift card for $5.00 toward anything in the store.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017