• filter:

Dell Inspiron Intel i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16gb ram, 2TB hard drive- $599 AC FS @Dell

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
 Dell Inspiron Intel i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16gb ram DDR3, 2TB hard drive,  original price $ 949, cut it to $599 after applying coupon code "SAVE350"

  • 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)
  • Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (Includes Windows 10 Pro License)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5
  • Integrated 5.1 Channel with Wave MaxxAudio® Pro (Windows)
  • 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
They carefully leave out the info on the PSU. My guess is they went cheap on it, and it won't support a decent graphics card.

Think about what you really need this for. Surfing the net can be done on a $100 unit from eBay. You will see no difference in performance between an old i3 and a new i7 when you're surfing.
The reason most people get high-end machines for home use is for video games. If this system can't support that, is it still worth an extra $500 to you?

This system is geared more towards commercial use, where graphics are less important but i7 CPU capability is needed for business programs that require hyperthreading.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   They carefully leave out the info on the PSU. My guess is they went cheap on it, and it won't support a decent graphics card.

Think about what you really need this for. Surfing the net can be done on a $100 unit from eBay. You will see no difference in performance between an old i3 and a new i7 when you're surfing.
The reason most people get high-end machines for home use is for video games. If this system can't support that, is it still worth an extra $500 to you?

  
It seems I see this comment all the time when there's a deal with a pre-built desktop. However, it's not the case with my 10 years old son. He was complaining that his computer keeps freezing and he couldn't play most of his basic games with his old desktop (might be the first or second gen i5) with 4GB of RAM. I bought him a new desktop last month with built in graphic and he said wow. He can download faster and he can play all of his basic games. 

So, I think even if you only use your computer for basic works and games, you still need a newer system, gen 4 or newer. You probably don't need to spend this much money but you can get a new i5 gen 6 or 7 with 8GB of RAM for about $350.

rated:
u2head8 said:   
canoeguy1 said:   They carefully leave out the info on the PSU. My guess is they went cheap on it, and it won't support a decent graphics card.

Think about what you really need this for. Surfing the net can be done on a $100 unit from eBay. You will see no difference in performance between an old i3 and a new i7 when you're surfing.
The reason most people get high-end machines for home use is for video games. If this system can't support that, is it still worth an extra $500 to you?

  
It seems I see this comment all the time when there's a deal with a pre-built desktop. However, it's not the case with my 10 years old son. He was complaining that his computer keeps freezing and he couldn't play most of his basic games with his old desktop (might be the first or second gen i5) with 4GB of RAM. I bought him a new desktop last month with built in graphic and he said wow. He can download faster and he can play all of his basic games. 

So, I think even if you only use your computer for basic works and games, you still need a newer system, gen 4 or newer. You probably don't need to spend this much money but you can get a new i5 gen 6 or 7 with 8GB of RAM for about $350.

  If you want to play video games, you need something better than a 1st or 2nd gen system. 

However, investing in an i7 is total overkill unless you're playing very high-end games (and even then, it doesn't make much difference). You'd be far better off downgrading to an i3/i5 (3rd or 4th gen), and spending the extra money on a low-end graphics card and an SSD. The system would be far faster.
 

rated:
canoeguy1 said:     If you want to play video games, you need something better than a 1st or 2nd gen system. 

However, investing in an i7 is total overkill unless you're playing very high-end games (and even then, it doesn't make much difference). You'd be far better off downgrading to an i3/i5 (3rd or 4th gen), and spending the extra money on a low-end graphics card and an SSD. The system would be far faster.

  I agree. The problem is it's not that cheap to get a 4th gen i5. If you plan to get a $100 system, you must be sure that you only need it to surf the web and you don't have grandchildren who want to play some games when they come over.

rated:
u2head8 said:   
canoeguy1 said:     If you want to play video games, you need something better than a 1st or 2nd gen system. 

However, investing in an i7 is total overkill unless you're playing very high-end games (and even then, it doesn't make much difference). You'd be far better off downgrading to an i3/i5 (3rd or 4th gen), and spending the extra money on a low-end graphics card and an SSD. The system would be far faster.

  I agree. The problem is it's not that cheap to get a 4th gen i5. If you plan to get a $100 system, you must be sure that you only need it to surf the web and you don't have grandchildren who want to play some games when they come over.

I got a 3rd gen i5 system with 1 TB HDD and 8 GB ram for $120 (incl shipping) last summer on eBay. It's probably even cheaper now. Add a 250 GB SSD for $80, and a $100 low-power graphics card, and for $300 you have a system that would completely blow away this $599 setup for home use.

You just have to make sure the PSU can handle the GPU load. If not, a 3rd gen i5 has decent built-in graphics, and the system will only cost $200.  


The real problem with all these Dell offers is that people can't figure out what they need, so they go for the highest and most expensice processor and neglect everything else. They spend a pile of money, and get a system that's far slower than a properly balanced system that costs half as much. People don't realize how much desktop prices have dropped. They still think they need to spend $500 to get anything decent.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
u2head8 said:   
canoeguy1 said:     If you want to play video games, you need something better than a 1st or 2nd gen system. 

However, investing in an i7 is total overkill unless you're playing very high-end games (and even then, it doesn't make much difference). You'd be far better off downgrading to an i3/i5 (3rd or 4th gen), and spending the extra money on a low-end graphics card and an SSD. The system would be far faster.

  I agree. The problem is it's not that cheap to get a 4th gen i5. If you plan to get a $100 system, you must be sure that you only need it to surf the web and you don't have grandchildren who want to play some games when they come over.

I got a 3rd gen i5 system with 1 TB HDD and 8 GB ram for $120 (incl shipping) last summer on eBay. It's probably even cheaper now. Add a 250 GB SSD for $80, and a $100 low-power graphics card, and for $300 you have a system that would completely blow away this $599 setup for home use.

You just have to make sure the PSU can handle the GPU load. If not, a 3rd gen i5 has decent built-in graphics, and the system will only cost $200.  


The real problem with all these Dell offers is that people can't figure out what they need, so they go for the highest and most expensice processor and neglect everything else. They spend a pile of money, and get a system that's far slower than a properly balanced system that costs half as much. People don't realize how much desktop prices have dropped. They still think they need to spend $500 to get anything decent.

Yeah, i still thinks that  

rated:
will this work with Ring plus?

rated:
johnadamthegreat said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
u2head8 said:   
canoeguy1 said:     If you want to play video games, you need something better than a 1st or 2nd gen system. 

However, investing in an i7 is total overkill unless you're playing very high-end games (and even then, it doesn't make much difference). You'd be far better off downgrading to an i3/i5 (3rd or 4th gen), and spending the extra money on a low-end graphics card and an SSD. The system would be far faster.

  I agree. The problem is it's not that cheap to get a 4th gen i5. If you plan to get a $100 system, you must be sure that you only need it to surf the web and you don't have grandchildren who want to play some games when they come over.

I got a 3rd gen i5 system with 1 TB HDD and 8 GB ram for $120 (incl shipping) last summer on eBay. It's probably even cheaper now. Add a 250 GB SSD for $80, and a $100 low-power graphics card, and for $300 you have a system that would completely blow away this $599 setup for home use.

You just have to make sure the PSU can handle the GPU load. If not, a 3rd gen i5 has decent built-in graphics, and the system will only cost $200.  


The real problem with all these Dell offers is that people can't figure out what they need, so they go for the highest and most expensice processor and neglect everything else. They spend a pile of money, and get a system that's far slower than a properly balanced system that costs half as much. People don't realize how much desktop prices have dropped. They still think they need to spend $500 to get anything decent.

Yeah, i still thinks that  

  Which is fine. It all depends on how you define "decent". A good gaming system still runs $1000+ (mostly because of the graphics card). 
However, putting an i7 into a system with a cheap low-end PSU (which kills its gaming potential), and using the system for internet surfing, is a waste of money. It's like putting a Ferrari engine in a lawnmower. That i7 can never use even a fraction of its potential, since the rest of the system severely limits the apps that the computer can run.

If you really have apps that need an i7, you need to build up the rest of the system to match (get an SSD, a good power supply, a suitable graphics card, proper cooling, etc). That will cost much more than $500.
For the vast majority of people, it's far better to get a lower-end CPU, but put some of the money saved into an SSD (and maybe a graphics card).

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017