• filter:

Freedom Pop Family w/ 2 LTE GSM Sim Cards + Unlimited Talk, Text & Shared 4GB $1.00 @ Freedom Pop

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

pic (38.38kB)
Disclaimer
Freedom Pop is offering their Freedom Pop Family w/ 2 LTE GSM Sim Cards + Unlimited Talk, Text & Shared 4GB on sale for $1.00! 

Get 2 LTE GSM 3-in1 Sim Cards for only $1 PLUS first month free of our Unlimited Talk, Text and 4GB shared data.

• FreedomPop Features: Unlimited minutes every month
  • Unlimited text every month
  • Share up to 25GB
  • Blazing fast 4G LTE
  • Group MMS
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Usage Alerts
  • No contract. No commitments. Cancel anytime.
  • Works with most unlocked GSM iOS and Android smartphones

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just can not believe that is so cheap

aliciakeys (Jun. 02, 2017 @ 1:49a) |

How right you are.  I just found that I missed the top up landmine.  I figured that I would be ok, since I did not have ... (more)

finsterqmufasa (Jun. 10, 2017 @ 11:18p) |

Copy and paste this list to your FP friends in your account. Make sure there is no comma after the last name when you do... (more)

chubbypops (Jun. 11, 2017 @ 1:57a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
how much after the 1st month? i couldn't find from their website, and didn't see small print on that page to inform.

rated:
matthewk said:   how much after the 1st month? i couldn't find from their website, and didn't see small print on that page to inform.
  It's all in a huge photo at the linked URL.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.freedompop.com/Affiliate+Assets/...

rated:
HELP!!! Cell phones are really confusing to me...when it comes to switching providers.

I have a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. Will this phone work on FreedomPop. Typing the MEID says I need to call them...just haven't had time yet.

rated:
Goofy4Deals said:   HELP!!! Cell phones are really confusing to me...when it comes to switching providers.

I have a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. Will this phone work on FreedomPop.  Typing the MEID says I need to call them...just haven't had time yet.

I suggest you stay away from FreedomPop as it is littered with landmines at every stage.
Moreover, it is never a good idea to use FP as your primary phone service provider.
Just my 2 cents

rated:
what kind of landmines ?

rated:
Is there a hidden monthly "Family Plan Line Access Fee" charge for this "Family" Plan?

rated:
youll find out when they charge your card !!!believe me,,

rated:
Mega-Dittos on that,,they are very tricky and sneaky,,and NO customer service to speak of,,,they make R+ look like the King of cellphone services..

rated:
alexnguyenseattle said:   what kind of landmines ?
Read this thread to get an idea.

BUT once you get past their landline it's a good service for free as you can install different app (Google Hangout/Hangout dialer, TextNow etc) to make calls and texting as their own app is a battery hog.

rated:
their calling and text app (which you have to use) is horrible...OMG !!

rated:
timswim78 said:   
matthewk said:   how much after the 1st month? i couldn't find from their website, and didn't see small print on that page to inform.
  It's all in a huge photo at the linked URL.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.freedompop.com/Affiliate+Assets/FamilyPlans_GSM_Plans.png

ah, so 1gb on 2nd month onward [for free] and if wanting to continue the 4gb, then must pay 44.99. thanks,

rated:
  I set this up as an emergency phone my 7 year old basically uses as a tablet.  The service was absolutely unusable.  I never once made a phone call where I could hear him.  The data was sporadic, they constantly switch plans and pricing and have hoops to jump though to avoid charges.   I finally just disconnected to save the hassle.   It's not worth it, even for free.

rated:
never thought i would see plans more convoluted than R+...but ...

rated:
drodge said:   
  I set this up as an emergency phone my 7 year old basically uses as a tablet.  The service was absolutely unusable.  I never once made a phone call where I could hear him.  The data was sporadic, they constantly switch plans and pricing and have hoops to jump though to avoid charges.   I finally just disconnected to save the hassle.   It's not worth it, even for free.

How long ago was this? Ive been using it on an old cellphone and it works fine. The app is clunky but it does work and the voice quality is ok. Im now used to HD calling so maybe thats why it sounds bad but I did find it usable.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
Goofy4Deals said:   HELP!!! Cell phones are really confusing to me...when it comes to switching providers.

I have a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge. Will this phone work on FreedomPop.  Typing the MEID says I need to call them...just haven't had time yet.

I suggest you stay away from FreedomPop as it is littered with landmines at every stage.
Moreover, it is never a good idea to use FP as your primary phone service provider.
Just my 2 cents

I have accounts on FreedomPop and already gone through the growing pains of figuring how to cancel EVERYTHING just to have free phone service.  This will not be my primary phone, it's a backup/play phone.  Just want to activate in case I need the extra phone.

So I still need to know if a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge will work.  Worse case it's 99 cents...but don't want to go through the hassle and find it doesn't work.

rated:
If you use Google Voice and Google Hangouts, you don't have to use FP's app to make calls - use Hangouts, which isn't perfect but works pretty well. And if you have two phones, you can use Hangouts on both of them, like having two house phones on the same number. And you don't have to worry as much about crappy service from FP, because if you use a Google Voice number, you aren't tied to FP at all - your phone number isn't even with them. All they are is a data provider.

rated:
I don't have any issues with FP. Got the Huawei Union phone, paid $29 for it and downgraded to their free plan. My daughter uses it to text and call us from school. No issues. No overcharges. Yes, their app is mediocre, but it's all free.  We're also in Los Angeles and coverage is plentiful so maybe if you live in the boonies it won't work so well.

rated:

It's my understanding that Verizon phones are unlocked.  Unfortunately, the radio only talks to the Verizon network.  FP told me no can do.
I'd guess that a Sprint version of the same phone would talk to the FP network, but it's likely not unlocked.  You can't win.

rated:
"Staff" who recommends Freedom Pop to Fat Wallet members should be fired.

rated:
$5 per line access fee (min $10 per month for 2 lines), starting 2nd month ? I pass.

rated:
20characters said:   

It's my understanding that Verizon phones are unlocked.  Unfortunately, the radio only talks to the Verizon network.  FP told me no can do.
I'd guess that a Sprint version of the same phone would talk to the FP network, but it's likely not unlocked.  You can't win.

Depends on the phone.  I have a Verizon Moto E that can roam on GSM networks - in fact, I never used it on Verizon's network, only on T-Mobile's.  It was a 4GLTE phone, so yes, it was unlocked.  (Per FCC agreement, Verizon is not allowed to lock its 4GLTE phones.)  I can't imagine why I wouldn't be able to use it on FP.

rated:
drodge said:   

i was planning to just use a prepaid card to purchase the sim, so they wouldn't have a card to bill that would give them anything for the 'free' setup. i guess you're saying they switch things around, so you can't even idle on the 'free' setup?

rated:
20characters said:   

I'd guess that a Sprint version of the same phone would talk to the FP network, but it's likely not unlocked.  You can't win.

Thank you...

rated:
Some, if not all, Verizon LTE phones have dual radios (GSM and CDMA) which would work with FP AT&T SIM card.

rated:
chauek said:   Some, if not all, Verizon LTE phones have dual radios (GSM and CDMA) which would work with FP AT&T SIM card.

Do you need to unlock Verizon LTE phone to use FP AT&T SIM card?

rated:
joel2007 said:   
chauek said:   Some, if not all, Verizon LTE phones have dual radios (GSM and CDMA) which would work with FP AT&T SIM card.

Do you need to unlock Verizon LTE phone to use FP AT&T SIM card?

As I understand it, all VZ phones which use a SIM card are unlocked due to some agreement they had with the FCC.  But some VZ phones may lack the bands used by AT&T. Check it first at http://willmyphonework.net/

rated:
Read this thoroughly to disarm the landmines.  Once you downgraded properly, the service is really free and all good.

http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/FreedomPop-LTE-gsm-sim-review.htm

rated:
Goofy4Deals said:   
marcopolomle said:   

I suggest you stay away from FreedomPop as it is littered with landmines at every stage.
Just my 2 cents

I have accounts on FreedomPop and already gone through the growing pains of figuring how to cancel EVERYTHING just to have free phone service.  This will not be my primary phone, it's a backup/play phone.  Just want to activate in case I need the extra phone.

So I still need to know if a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge will work.  Worse case it's 99 cents...but don't want to go through the hassle and find it doesn't work.

All Verizon 4G LTE devices are factory unlocked. You may not have all the bands necessary for full 4G but would work at 3G otherwise. Currently testing on a Verizon iPhone 5s after canceling TING (after using it on RingPlus).

rated:
LongDongSilver said:   Read this thoroughly to disarm the landmines.  Once you downgraded properly, the service is really free and all good.

You will need to pay $5 in order to avoid automatic reload if you're halfway through your 200mb of monthly data.

rated:
FYI - it's $5 per line for family shared minimum, and you share 1GB.

rated:
Individual sim deal is much better than family deal. For this deal you have to pay minimum $10 for 2 line each month starting 2nd month, whereas the other one is simply free if you downgrade the initial offer to free plan.

I have few FreedomPop global sim cards and phones. If you manager your account properly there is no charge. They did charged me wrongly twice, but charges were reversed when I asked them to look into the charges. Mind it, it's completely free, no monthly fees. Couple of negatives - yes, it may not be good idea to have this as your primary phone as line is not always reliable, depends on data network. And their app consumes battery, but I noticed that other apps like whatsapp consumes much more battery than their app. I like their 100 mins per month per line free international calling feature.

rated:
canex said:   $5 per line access fee (min $10 per month for 2 lines), starting 2nd month ? I pass.
  good job discovering this landmine, which i see no where on the page OP linked us. 

rated:
I also have a FP that I bought in 2013. Not working well in my area. Must go through wifi. The phone's battery drained out every 2 hours. They send 2 new WRONG batteries.
The phone still works (plugged into an electrical socket).
I have an old Samsung from Sprint that they want 29.95 to activate even when their phone does not work and has not been working.
Now, there is no way to contact them. If I am to contact them via text/email/phone, there is a surcharge to have a real person.
They use to have a spot to put in a ticket, it does not work for me.
I bought a hotspot for mobile wifi, it's about $60 for limited bites and run out real quick even for just a few emails. So it sits there.
I think that if you live in California and can go down the street to knock on their doors, it would be great. Yes, it's free (if you can get it to work.

rated:
trumpotron said:   their calling and text app (which you have to use) is horrible...OMG !!
  You don't have to use it. GV/Hangouts with the LTE SIM works very well. Text Now is not bad either, but not as good as GV. Just lay off of the data usage for anything other than calling and texting as much as possible and do the FP Friends for the extra data. If you get down to near 100MB data balance then use the Messaging app for the extra 200 minutes and 500 texts.

rated:
hard to beat their free data (now that RP is gone), but the service does have issues. Using their Global SIM, I have to power cycle my phone every 2-3 days or I stop getting calls. Since they charge you for voicemail too, even though I know I've missed calls because of the notice they send, any messages left are lost. They actually have the nerve to offer to give you your voicemail, which they actually have kept, once you pay for the service.

rated:
rsuaver said:   
LongDongSilver said:   Read this thoroughly to disarm the landmines.  Once you downgraded properly, the service is really free and all good.

You will need to pay $5 in order to avoid automatic reload if you're halfway through your 200mb of monthly data.

I bought a couple of SIMS and "friending" myself so I get the max 1.17GB of data which is plenty for casual use so I don't have to worry about blowing through the monthly data limit and get hit with the automatic reload.  With FP, you have to know how to "game the system" and know where the landmines are if you want it for free.

rated:
I just can not believe that is so cheap

rated:
LongDongSilver said:   
rsuaver said:   

I bought a couple of SIMS and "friending" myself so I get the max 1.17GB of data which is plenty for casual use so I don't have to worry about blowing through the monthly data limit and get hit with the automatic reload.  With FP, you have to know how to "game the system" and know where the landmines are if you want it for free.

How right you are.  I just found that I missed the top up landmine.  I figured that I would be ok, since I did not have a $5 credit on my account, but I knew I was not going to go over my limits.  Did not realize that on a 200MB data plan, you could only use 100MB before they get you.  And they got me.  Needless to say, I was very angry, not only at FP, but at myself, but mostly at them.

Skipping 1 Messages...
rated:
finsterqmufasa said:   
LongDongSilver said:   
rsuaver said:   

How right you are.  I just found that I missed the top up landmine.  I figured that I would be ok, since I did not have a $5 credit on my account, but I knew I was not going to go over my limits.  Did not realize that on a 200MB data plan, you could only use 100MB before they get you.  And they got me.  Needless to say, I was very angry, not only at FP, but at myself, but mostly at them.

Copy and paste this list to your FP friends in your account. Make sure there is no comma after the last name when you do it. Also add your name to the list. Check your account over the next few days and accept friend requests. Within a day or two you will have your 10 friends and another 500 MB free per month.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017