• filter:

$75 Best Buy Gift Card for Laptop Trade-in @ Best Buy

  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Which would be a perfectly valid reason to terminate the promotion early.

GatorJ (Jul. 11, 2017 @ 10:54p) |

Not knowing that this offer had been pulled prior to the original ending date, I tried to trade in my old laptop today. ... (more)

NoOh (Jul. 14, 2017 @ 7:54p) |

So definitely dead at all locations?

dvrice (Jul. 14, 2017 @ 9:17p) |

* Valid in store only 6/25/17-7/15/17. When you trade in any working laptop get a minimum $75 Best Buy ® gift card and a $75 trade-in receipt coupon toward the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro (BBY SKU 5886103 & 5886107). Not all products are eligible for trade-in. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. Trade-in value may vary. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. Excludes devices that are cracked, water-damaged or that lack power. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason. Limit of 1 trade-in per person. No rainchecks. Tax is applied based on the full retail value. Limit 1 coupon per transaction. For details see a Blue Shirt or Bestbuy. com/TradeIn.

A quick test shows we only need to meet the minimum requirement in ONE category, and only one in order to qualify.*
So with the first category, any of the select brands will work and get you $75, regardless of the other options.
1: Any listed brand
2: i3 or better (i5, i7)
3: Windows 7 or better (win8, win10)
4: 4GB or better

Again, if any ONE of those four conditions are met, the other three don't matter.

EDIT:  Further testing shows there are combinations that can qualify for the $75.   You can also qualify if two of the three categories after brand have anything other than the very bottom option selected.  So if 'other brand', the laptop can only have one of 'other processor', 'other OS', and '0 - < 2GB' options selected.  For example if you pick either 'AMD series' or 'other intel' for CPU, then you can add either 'other Windows' or 'Chrome OS', or '2GB- <4GB' and qualify.

*also can't be 'broken' condition.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Valid in store only 6/25/17-7/15/17

You also get a $75 credit towards a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro

When you trade in any working laptop get a minimum $75 Best Buy® gift card and a $75 trade-in receipt coupon toward the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro.

Add T&C to member summary

rated:
Has anyone done this? I have a working 10 year old laptop that I was about to take to electronics recycling. Wonder if they'll actually give me a $75 gift card that I can use on something else in store.

rated:
The most important part of the T&C above:
"Trade-in value may vary"

For old laptops, they give you an estimated "trade in value", and an "in-store promotional value". Those two add up to $75. I have no idea what an "in store promotional value" is, but it doesn't sound like a regular gift card.

It would be nice if someone can post about actually doing this transaction with an old beater of a laptop. I seriously doubt they'll actually pay $75 for it, but who knows. My guess is that you will only get the money if you buy the Samsung laptop (ie an actual trade-in)
 

rated:
VegasVegan said:   When you trade in any working laptop get a minimum $75 Best Buy ® gift card
 

Is this true?

rated:
arollin said:   Has anyone done this? I have a working 10 year old laptop that I was about to take to electronics recycling. Wonder if they'll actually give me a $75 gift card that I can use on something else in store.
  
The OP's link leads to a questionnaire about the laptop you're trading in. You'll get your estimated value right on the spot. Chances are if your laptop came with Windows XP, you'll probably won't get the $75.

Don't let me discourage you however, you should see if you can get anything anyway since you were going to recycle it. 

rated:
I went through the process and chose Other Intel (implies older model), Other windows, 0 - <2gb ram in fair condition but includes battery and power charger = $75 dollars.

rated:
arollin said:   Has anyone done this? I have a working 10 year old laptop that I was about to take to electronics recycling. Wonder if they'll actually give me a $75 gift card that I can use on something else in store.
  I'm in a similar situation, I have already annihilated the HDD to protect my private info. Will they take it off my hands?

rated:
My old I5 came back as $85

And the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro is $1000...I guess the $75 coupon isn't really going to do much.

rated:
i have a Dell netbook running windows 7 starter, does this count?

rated:
Sdeout73 said:   I went through the process and chose Other Intel (implies older model), Other windows, 0 - <2gb ram in fair condition but includes battery and power charger = $75 dollars.
  Even picking poor condition gets a $75 quote. I have one with a messed up hinge and stickers all over it plus a Win7 OS I can't get the numbers off to use on a different computer. Guess someones getting a $75 GC for Xmas or their Bday.

Since it's a limit of 1 I guess I'll have to bring someone along to trade in an old XP also.

rated:
Win 10 tablet w/ keyboard?

rated:
They take ipads too? I thought its only one per DL

rated:
I can not believe anyone values their privacy at $75. Hard drives are to be hammered, people, not sold. Especially since Best Buy's geeks are now proven to be paid FBI narcs. It doesn't take much imagination for a snitch to prove their worth by inserting a file. One photo can send you to prison and destroy your life, regardless of how it got there.

rated:
If you open link there is accounter, my 8 years laptop cost $80. Actually not that bad

rated:
Other brand, other Intel, other OS, 0 to <2 GB = $0
Doesn't even ask what condition it's in. 
Switch to one of the brands like HP, and then even in poor condition with no AC adapter it's $75 + $75.

rated:
There was mention on another thread, that they will pull hard drive at store and let you dispose of it.
Worth asking

rated:
VegasVegan said:   
Sdeout73 said:   I went through the process and chose Other Intel (implies older model), Other windows, 0 - <2gb ram in fair condition but includes battery and power charger = $75 dollars.
  Even picking poor condition gets a $75 quote. I have one with a messed up hinge and stickers all over it plus a Win7 OS I can't get the numbers off to use on a different computer. Guess someones getting a $75 GC for Xmas or their Bday.


 

  There are freeware programs out there to get the Windows key off of your computer (Magic Jelly Bean, for example).  After installing on another computer, you can download the Windows 10 installation software here to upgrade for free.  There is an additional link on that page if you want to download the .iso or install from flash drive.

rated:
ubermoonknight said:   
VegasVegan said:   
Sdeout73 said:   I went through the process and chose Other Intel (implies older model), Other windows, 0 - <2gb ram in fair condition but includes battery and power charger = $75 dollars.
  Even picking poor condition gets a $75 quote. I have one with a messed up hinge and stickers all over it plus a Win7 OS I can't get the numbers off to use on a different computer. Guess someones getting a $75 GC for Xmas or their Bday.


 

  There are freeware programs out there to get the Windows key off of your computer (Magic Jelly Bean, for example).  After installing on another computer, you can download the Windows 10 installation software here to upgrade for free.  There is an additional link on that page if you want to download the .iso or install from flash drive.

  
Upgrade to 10 is not free
 

rated:
electricpatj said:   There was mention on another thread, that they will pull hard drive at store and let you dispose of it.
Worth asking

  wheredidjahearthat?
 

rated:
camar0 said:   
ubermoonknight said:   
VegasVegan said:   
Sdeout73 said:   I went through the process and chose Other Intel (implies older model), Other windows, 0 - <2gb ram in fair condition but includes battery and power charger = $75 dollars.
  Even picking poor condition gets a $75 quote. I have one with a messed up hinge and stickers all over it plus a Win7 OS I can't get the numbers off to use on a different computer. Guess someones getting a $75 GC for Xmas or their Bday.


 

  There are freeware programs out there to get the Windows key off of your computer (Magic Jelly Bean, for example).  After installing on another computer, you can download the Windows 10 installation software here to upgrade for free.  There is an additional link on that page if you want to download the .iso or install from flash drive.

  
Upgrade to 10 is not free

  yes, you can still upgrade for free if you bother to try... you just have to accept the "for people that uses assistive technologies only" usage (ie. for most people, lie.)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

rated:
I got the following calculation:
Your Estimated Trade-In Value $50
Your Estimated In-Store Promotional Value $25
Your Estimated In-Store Trade-In Value $75

So I get a $75 BB GC for this junker AND a $75 trade in receipt towards that Samsung notebook?? IS THIS CORRECT?
Thanks OP for the heads up. The whole family will be cleaning out the closets and trotting on over... ROAD TRIP!

rated:
CONFIRMED... just returned from Best Buy 

My estimated was $45 + $30 instore = $75
(very old amd laptop with 2gb ram, win7 home)

Go to customer service, not geek squad....
- Yes they will check that unit powers on
- Yes they input the serial into the system
- they will fingerprint your thumb for trade in

1st she mentioned $50 trade in value then i asked about the promotion, apparently once she put it through normally, it automatically added the additional $25 to give $75

So as stated, got a $75 gift card + another paper with Samsung barcode for $75 off

rated:
They fingerprint your thumb?

rated:
zenmaster2 said:   They fingerprint your thumb?
  yes

rated:
And I thought that giving them my drivers license was crazy!

rated:
zenmaster2 said:   They fingerprint your thumb?
Not that I condone illegal activity, but as you will not be the last person in possession of your laptop (and maybe was not prior either)
As all Bestbuy laptops go to Kentucky and FBI pretty much planted inside people that get "paid to find stuff".
Either bring a good wipe hd software, or a hammer and screwdriver, after they confirm it powers on, take hd out and give it a good wack.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/if-a-best-buy-technician-is-a-paid-fbi-informant-are-his-computer-searches-legal/2017/01/09/f56028b4-d442-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html?utm_term=.165648bca905 
 

rated:
camar0 said:   
zenmaster2 said:   They fingerprint your thumb?
  yes

  This will probably vary by state (it does for video game trade ins) Some states consider this process to be similar to pawn shops.

rated:
i just found an old Sony brick under a hutch the other day. probably weights around 10 lbs, maybe 1 lb of dust. i hope it boots. cause it is hardly worth the gas to bring it for recycling. thumb print is new to me, and can't say i am a fan. look at my license and make a copy of that, you don't need my print if you aren't the law, and even then...

rated:
tonysavealot said:   
zenmaster2 said:   They fingerprint your thumb?
Not that I condone illegal activity, but as you will not be the last person in possession of your laptop (and maybe was not prior either)
As all Bestbuy laptops go to Kentucky and FBI pretty much planted inside people that get "paid to find stuff".
Either bring a good wipe hd software, or a hammer and screwdriver, after they confirm it powers on, take hd out and give it a good wack.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/if-a-best-buy-technician-is-a-paid-fbi-informant-are-his-computer-searches-legal/2017/01/09/f56028b4-d442-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html?utm_term=.165648bca905 

  
do not believe they will let you take the hard drive out in order for this deal to proceed.... would be interesting to try 

 

rated:
I have a 4 inch thick "laptop" running Win95 somewhere... hmmmm. How may gig of ram? No.

rated:
Buggers! CLeared my old files off and made sure it was working. Drove over to Best Buy and the employee tells me the laptop has to be able to run off the battery or they won't take it!?! I asked if it was Best Buy policy or their store policy because I didn't see it written anywhere on the promotion details and she claims yes it's written policy. Five minutes later of looking and talking to her manager and they can't find anything, but still won't take the laptop.
If the system told me up front the battery needed to hold a charge fine, but it didn't. It just asked if the battery and charger were included and claimed I'd be getting $75, so I made the trip. Waste of time because of incompetent Best Buy... either the people that wrote up the details for the promotion, or the store itself.

rated:
Sternforpres said:   And I thought that giving them my drivers license was crazy!
  
Yeah....I'm not too keen with the idea of giving them my biometric data for $75....

rated:
Danzilla said:   Buggers! CLeared my old files off and made sure it was working. Drove over to Best Buy and the employee tells me the laptop has to be able to run off the battery or they won't take it!?! I asked if it was Best Buy policy or their store policy because I didn't see it written anywhere on the promotion details and she claims yes it's written policy. Five minutes later of looking and talking to her manager and they can't find anything, but still won't take the laptop.
If the system told me up front the battery needed to hold a charge fine, but it didn't. It just asked if the battery and charger were included and claimed I'd be getting $75, so I made the trip. Waste of time because of incompetent Best Buy. .. either the people that wrote up the details for the promotion, or the store itself.

I followed the trade in estimator in the original post, put in Dell, Other Intel, Other Windows, 0 to 2GB and fair condition.  It also asks if the AC adapter/cord and battery are included.  I said "no" and it still came up with an estimate of $75.  I plan on printing that out and showing them if I have a similar problem.    

rated:
ubermoonknight said:   
VegasVegan said:   
Sdeout73 said:   I went through the process and chose Other Intel (implies older model), Other windows, 0 - <2gb ram in fair condition but includes battery and power charger = $75 dollars.
  Even picking poor condition gets a $75 quote. I have one with a messed up hinge and stickers all over it plus a Win7 OS I can't get the numbers off to use on a different computer. Guess someones getting a $75 GC for Xmas or their Bday.


 

  There are freeware programs out there to get the Windows key off of your computer (Magic Jelly Bean, for example).  After installing on another computer, you can download the Windows 10 installation software here to upgrade for free.  There is an additional link on that page if you want to download the .iso or install from flash drive.

  
I tried a few of those programs. This computer was a students at a private school that the parent had to buy. When I run those programs they can not find key. My guess is it is a special license that whoever supplied the school with the computers bought that is cloaked for some reason. The school admin might be able to, but I can't get in through that account.  I did get the keys for Office and other programs....just not the OS.

rated:
no thumb print here in CT
got rid of two old bricks (XP and Vista) no power block/cord and got $75 each.

rated:
My Best Buy told me to pound sand. Glad you guys got the $75. I'll have to go back, as I think she selected 'other brand' when she should have selected HP (my pc is a compaq, celeron).

rated:
skotty4 said:   My Best Buy told me to pound sand. Glad you guys got the $75. I'll have to go back, as I think she selected 'other brand' when she should have selected HP (my pc is a compaq, celeron).
So you were chased by a pack of dogs?! Do the online calculator and bring the printout to the manager of pound sand department
fine print says they can do whatever they feel like but ask them to call corporate or give a a written reason so you can contact corporate
ask on what basis they are discriminating against you
there were 5 people on line behind me and the missus doing a trade in

rated:
Went through BB's "dog and phony pony" show another time they played this scam. Had an IBM Thinkpad, original price north of $2,500 and after wasting over an hour with these idiots in a store they kept insisting it was a "netbook" (because it was a top-end ultraportable) and basically told me to pound sand because Bestbuy can call a refrigerator a car if they want to. I think these scams are just to get the sheep in the door, get them to give up their hardware for free (um, "recycling"), and hawk something on the shelf along with some Monster cables.

I guess with their market power they can completely redefine the meaning of a basic fact, perhaps they have been tutoring a certain political figure.

Skipping 91 Messages...
rated:
So definitely dead at all locations?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017