• filter:

WD - easystore® 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black - $159.99 + FS at Best Buy

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

WD (2.65kB)
Disclaimer
WD - easystore® 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black - $159.99 + FS at Best Buy 

Save $20 over this popular deal from 4/23!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I almost purchased one, but it doesn't look like it supports encryption like the other external WDs do...
Is that correct... (more)

OceanMist (Jul. 27, 2017 @ 4:52a) |

Isn't this the deal that was posted on the other deal site? If so, the consensus there was that is was a red drive insid... (more)

Kaczmarczyk (Jul. 27, 2017 @ 7:52a) |

I purchased 2 and shucked them both for my NAS. They were both reds and I lucked out with both being from Thailand

Some6uy008 (Jul. 28, 2017 @ 4:35a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Are bigger drives any more safer or not as safe as smaller drives? I have three 3 TB drives that are 5 years old with movies on them I would like to condense into 1 bigger drive

rated:
Flipit said:   Are bigger drives any more safer or not as safe as smaller drives? I have three 3 TB drives that are 5 years old with movies on them I would like to condense into 1 bigger drive
 
Probably not if we are comparing new to new. You could do some research into the MTBF for the drives you are considering, but I suspect they will be similar without regard to capacity. But if your current drives are 5 years old, I'd give that content a technology refresh.

Whether you use three drives are one is primarily how you view the trade-off of physical space versus having a single point of failure.

rated:
For drive protection implementing raid for protection.

A virus, or ransom-ware can destroy "online" data.  For full protection, after the back-up disconnect the storage and store it off-site.

Offsite storage can also protect you in the case of a fire or flood.  Consider an unlimited cloud backup like Crashplan or Backblaze.

Here's the latest reliability info on drives.   WD and HGST usually do quite well.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q1-2017/

 

rated:
mitchd123 said:   Offsite storage can also protect you in the case of a fire or flood.  Consider an unlimited cloud backup like Crashplan or Backblaze.

 

  I don't even want to think about how long uploading 9TB to the Cloud would take on your average consumer broadband connection.  Even worse if you are doing it over Wifi and not a hardwire connection.

rated:
What kinds of disks inside? one disk or two?

rated:

Benchmark (126.14kB)
Disclaimer
Purchase one from BB, and used VisaPay for an additional 1% off

NOTE:  comes only with a 2year warranty.   This is double the typical Seagate, but less than the normal WD 3year. 

1 drive inside shows up as:

Model Number:       WDC WD80EFAX-68LHPN0                    
    Serial Number:      (removed)           
    Firmware Revision:  83.H0A83

Benchmark:

hdparm -Ttv /dev/sdh

 multcount     =  0 (off)
 readonly      =  0 (off)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 972801/255/63, sectors = 15628052480, start = 0
 Timing cached reads:   11318 MB in  2.00 seconds = 5661.84 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 554 MB in  3.00 seconds = 184.42 MB/sec


Gnome-disks basic Benchmark attached: 
(remember USB Attached, normally reads are faster than writes, caching may be taking place)

Average Read 160 MB
Average Write 260.3

Average Access  15.35msec



@Glacierwolf   had asked about transferring to the cloud:

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc

8TB @100Mb/s = 205 hours or around 8 and a half days.  Your mileage will of course vary, but around two weeks would be a safe assumption for an online backup to complete.  Most folks won't have a anywhere close to 8TB to backup.  Often you can leverage compression, but small and compressed files will take considerably longer.

 

rated:
My strategy these last few years has been having duplicate drives (maybe triplicate) of exactly the same info - and keep one copy online, the other(s) always offline. That protects me against not just hard drive failure but also corruption, accidental deletion, potential power surges, and malware. RAID protects only against hard drive failure.

Sure, duplicate drives cost more. Seems a small price to pay for the value of my data.

rated:
This is $199 on Amazon. I have some Amazon GC to burn. Can anyone suggest how to get Amazon Price Match this ? Thanks in advance!

rated:
Not a bad deal but I would stay away from this drive. It's a single drive and it's a potential disaster.
Think about this senario: you load it with all your family video, pictures, movies and everything else important to you. All the sudden, the drive fails. You call WD. They confirm its failure. They ask you to send the drive in and replace another one for you. What would you feel then?
I'm in IT and I've seen this happen more than I can remember.
Data protection is a very detailed process and it requires some disciplines. There are many ways to protect your data.
Rule of thumb? Backup of a backup of a backup. We called it "triple backups".
Good luck!

rated:
ahlex said:   Not a bad deal but I would stay away from this drive. It's a single drive and it's a potential disaster.
Think about this senario: you load it with all your family video, pictures, movies and everything else important to you. All the sudden, the drive fails. You call WD. They confirm its failure. They ask you to send the drive in and replace another one for you. What would you feel then?
I'm in IT and I've seen this happen more than I can remember.
Data protection is a very detailed process and it requires some disciplines. There are many ways to protect your data.
Rule of thumb? Backup of a backup of a backup. We called it "triple backups".
Good luck!

  You could have said exactly the same when 1TB hard drives first appeared 10 years ago or 10GB hard drives was produced about 20 years ago. LOL

rated:
Can the two 4TB drives inside be accessed separately, or are they always spanned?

How easy is it to open up and pop the drives out?  4TB drives for $80 ea is pretty good deal

rated:
peas said:   Can the two 4TB drives inside be accessed separately, or are they always spanned?

How easy is it to open up and pop the drives out?  4TB drives for $80 ea is pretty good deal

  This is not two 4TB drives.  It's one 8TB drive.

rated:
You may get two for mirroring if you store important thing. . A lot of data to lose if it dies.

rated:
I wish the internal version of this wasn't 150 more !! Anyone have an opinion on opening these things and using the drives for nas? 5x8tb raid5 would be great at 160 per, but not 300 each! I know the downside was no warranty on anything, but in a raid 5 - i could buy a back up a drive at this price.

rated:
dealgain said:   Can anyone suggest how to get Amazon Price Match this ?
On the Amazon product page, search for the link "tell us about a lower price," then populate the form. If enough people do it, Amazon may lower the price to BB's sale price.

rated:
Hmmm, could use to upgrade my unRaid NAS. Anyone want to buy some used 3TB drives?

rated:
But the 8TB easystore isn't sold on Amazon 

rated:
dealgain said:   This is $199 on Amazon. I have some Amazon GC to burn. Can anyone suggest how to get Amazon Price Match this ? Thanks in advance!
  
This is $199 on Amazon. I have some Amazon GC to burn. Can anyone suggest how to get Amazon Price Match this ? Thanks in advance!

 

rated:
FatBrewer said:   But the 8TB easystore isn't sold on Amazon 
  Good catch.  Difficult for Amazon to price match when they don't even stock it.  When you look at the item on Bestbuy website, one of the first thing you see is ONLY @ Bestbuy.

rated:
i beg to disagree. if you go to the Amazon site https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&f... and look at item 2 and 4 arent those the same item as op's?

rated:
anyway i already bought a similar 8tb wd external hard drive when i needed one badly weeks ago. so, i dont need another (and cheaper drive). but, if i needed one, this is the one id buy thanks op

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:   i beg to disagree. if you go to the Amazon site https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=WD+-+easystore%C2%AE+8TB+External+USB+3.0+Hard+Drive, and look at item 2 and 4 arent those the same item as op's?
  
On those two items - " Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers "

rated:
I almost purchased one, but it doesn't look like it supports encryption like the other external WDs do...
Is that correct?

rated:
Isn't this the deal that was posted on the other deal site? If so, the consensus there was that is was a red drive inside and that you wanted the box that said made in Thailand as that one was the 256mb cache

rated:
I purchased 2 and shucked them both for my NAS. They were both reds and I lucked out with both being from Thailand

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017