• filter:

WD easystore 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $159.99 @ Best Buy w/ FS

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-h...

• 8TB storage capacity
  • USB 3.0 interface
  • Data transfer rates up to 5 Gbps with USB 3.0
  • Automatic backup
  • WD Drive Utilities
  • Compatible with PC and Mac

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Be sure to test yours out before the return policy expires.

Best Buy had this same deal about a month ago and 1 out of the 2 was DOA.

rated:
These have a regular WD Red drive in them so if you are feeling adventurous and want more internal storage, you can remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in your PC.  That would save you @$100 off the price of a retail 8TB red.  There could be issues if you need to RMA it though, unless you can get it out of and back into the enclosure without busting it.

rated:
Glacierwolf said:   These have a regular WD Red drive in them so if you are feeling adventurous and want more internal storage, you can remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in your PC.  That would save you @$100 off the price of a retail 8TB red.  There could be issues if you need to RMA it though, unless you can get it out of and back into the enclosure without busting it.
  Would the hard drive inside the enclosure work on the TiVo Roamios? I need to update it and 8tb would be awesome.

rated:
voyagerbob said:   
Glacierwolf said:   These have a regular WD Red drive in them so if you are feeling adventurous and want more internal storage, you can remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in your PC.  That would save you @$100 off the price of a retail 8TB red.  There could be issues if you need to RMA it though, unless you can get it out of and back into the enclosure without busting it.
  Would the hard drive inside the enclosure work on the TiVo Roamios? I need to update it and 8tb would be awesome.

Quick research suggests the HD in the tivo is just a standard 3.5'' drive so it would fit and connect. Whether or not your Tivo would support an 8TB drive is what you need to determine.

rated:
slappycakes said:   Be sure to test yours out before the return policy expires.

Best Buy had this same deal about a month ago and 1 out of the 2 was DOA.

Can you point to a reference where you got the "1 out of the 2 was DOA".   I thought these were good drives and the internal hard drive is the sought after red drive.   Are they using refurbished or lower quality red drives?

rated:
5vcr said:   

Can you point to a reference where you got the "1 out of the 2 was DOA".   I thought these were good drives and the internal hard drive is the sought after red drive.   Are they using refurbished or lower quality red drives?

There will always be failure, albeit small percentage, when it comes to electronics. I purchased 2, friend purchased 2 and we all got perfectly working drives. We both shucked them and can confirm that they're WD Red. These drives are new and not refurbs.

rated:
5vcr said:   

The reference is me. 

I bought two of them, one made a few rattling sounds when it started up and then it failed the WD Drive tools test.  Happened on the last day that I could return the drive to BB. 

No scientific data, just me and my experience... and a reminder to check the drive out before the return period expires.

rated:
Are you sure these have Red drives inside? I bought a few of these a while back and they were blue drives.

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   Are you sure these have Red drives inside? I bought a few of these a while back and they were blue drives.
How long ago was a while back and was it the easystore model at Best Buy, which I believe only they carry..  Those have had Reds in them for at least a year.

rated:
B&H Photo has this for the same price...free shipping....NO SALES TAX. They are a reputable online store, too.

rated:
tmweber1948 said:   B&H Photo has this for the same price...free shipping....NO SALES TAX. They are a reputable online store, too.

I don't see it on their site.  It is the Easystore version, which is a BB exclusive, that has the 8TB red drive and is currently 159.99 on BB's website.

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   Are you sure these have Red drives inside? I bought a few of these a while back and they were blue drives.

On the other deal site, hundreds if not more people purchase these and not a single person, from what I saw, reported anything besides WD Red

rated:
tmweber1948 said:   B&H Photo has this for the same price...free shipping....NO SALES TAX. They are a reputable online store, too.
  Link please.

rated:
yeah B&H has the mydrive version that is reported to be a blue drive. I see it as $199 at B&H btw

rated:
I waited too long... $199 now.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017