• filter:

Newegg - Refurb HP Elite 8300 USDT (Ultra Slim) Intel Core i5 3470S – 2.9GHz 4 GB RAM 320 GB Drive $150

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Free S&H if you have Premier.OverviewThis HP Elite 8300 USDT (Ultra Slim) is a great choice for your home or business with an Intel Core i5 3470S – 2.9GHz processor. You will receive years of reliable usage for all you computing needs with enough power and flexibility. The Elite 8300 provides stability and solid performance in a mainstream Enterprise desktops.

Features
• Model – HP Elite 8300
• Chassis – Ultra Slim Desktop (USDT)
• CPU - Intel Core i5 3470S – 2.9GHz
• Memory – 4GB
• Hard Drive – 320GB
• Optical Drive - DVD RW Drive
• Video – Integrated Graphics
• Screen - Not Included
• Sound - Realtek ALC221 high definition audio
• Wired Network - RJ45 - Gigabit Ethernet Controller - 10/100/1000
• External Ports - (4) USB 3.0 ports, (6) USB 2.0 ports, PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports, RJ-45 network interface, headphone output and a microphone jack, 3.5mm audio in/out jacks, Display Port and VGA video.
• Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Installed and Ready to Use
• Condition - This item is lease return item & it has been 100% fully tested. This item could have cosmetic blemishes such as scratches and/or surface imperfections. Our refurbishing process revolves around the functionality of the computers. Items may show normal signs of cosmetic wear and tear. This does not affect the functionality of the computer.
• Pictures - Images are for Illustration purposes only and are not the specific system you will receive
• Keyboard - Not Included
• Mouse - Not Included
• Power Cable - AC Adapter / Power Supply – Included

link

Member Summary

HP Elite 8300 (22.19kB)
Thanks Xenocrates
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Our 10-year-old (awesome!) Dell Zino HD machine just had the HDMI video die . It is the only device attached to our biza... (more)

keinesorge (Sep. 18, 2017 @ 11:17p) |

blueribb (Sep. 19, 2017 @ 7:27a) |

That's not the topic of this thread. Start a new one.

canoeguy1 (Sep. 19, 2017 @ 10:37p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
6276 cpu benchmark pretty speedy

rated:
Decent price, except the HDD is far too small for a modern PC. Plan to spend another $50-$70 on a 1 TB-2TB HDD, bringing the cost to $210.
You'll also need the technical knowledge to physically add your drive to the system, and clone the old drive onto your new one. It's not difficult - as long as the motherboard has two SATA ports to work with. Even an ultraslim should have those ports, but who knows...

I would look around on eBay first. You should be able to find a PC with a decently sized HDD for the same price, and avoid all the hassle.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   Decent price, except the HDD is far too small for a modern PC. Plan to spend another $50-$70 on a 1 TB-2TB HDD, bringing the cost to $210.
You'll also need the technical knowledge to physically add your drive to the system, and clone the old drive onto your new one. It's not difficult - as long as the motherboard has two SATA ports to work with. Even an ultraslim should have those ports, but who knows...

I would look around on eBay first. You should be able to find a PC with a decently sized HDD for the same price, and avoid all the hassle.

I would just leave it as-is and add an external usb hard drive for additional storage if needed.

rated:
No HDMI on this system. I can't find anything definite on if this system supports audio over displayport. If it does, it seems like this would make for a great HTPC.

rated:
Can I add a video card for 3 monitors? Or can it already do 3?

rated:
Uppie1414 said:   
Can I add a video card for 3 monitors? Or can it already do 3?

No, you can't, and it can't.

rated:
The one thing worth considering before buying this is it's age which is between 4 and 5 years old. If this was a heavily used (many hours) leased return, it may only have a few years of useful life left. Motherboard caps, power supply and system fans are high failure items on older desktops.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
I would look around on eBay first. You should be able to find a PC with a decently sized HDD for the same price, and avoid all the hassle.

Agreed. I just bought a HP 8300 Small Form Factor unit on eBay for $117 shipped, arrives tomorrow.

• HP Compaq 8300 Elite SFF Desktop. Tested Working.
  • NO Operating System.
  • With Window 7 Pro COA sticker.
  • Intel i5-3470 3.20GHz   (Passmark 6631)
  • 8GB DDR3 12800U
  • 500 GB SATA Hard Drive.
  • Parallel Port for plugging in Printer.
  • Power Cord and VGA Cable

You can put low-profile PCI and PCIe cards and a second HDD in the SFF-sized unit.

rated:
90% off!

rated:
on the original deal... 4gb is NOT enough RAM and this is almost definitely a SLOWWW 5400rpm hard drive. The CPU is plenty fast enough for any basic computing... but it will be hampered by the lack of RAM and slow drive.

You'd want to add at least another 4gb of RAM ($25 bucks?) and a 256gb SSD ($100) plus you'll need the know how to clone the windows drive onto the SSD... as these computers almost never come with an actual windows install disk/USB and serial number

rated:
robstahl21 said:   on the original deal... 4gb is NOT enough RAM and this is almost definitely a SLOWWW 5400rpm hard drive. The CPU is plenty fast enough for any basic computing... but it will be hampered by the lack of RAM and slow drive.

You'd want to add at least another 4gb of RAM ($25 bucks?) and a 256gb SSD ($100) plus you'll need the know how to clone the windows drive onto the SSD... as these computers almost never come with an actual windows install disk/USB and serial number

More than enough RAM for any Linux system.  Nice find OP!

rated:
Uppie1414 said:   Can I add a video card for 3 monitors? Or can it already do 3?
  Interestingly enough, yes you can, though to do so would probably kill any cost benefit of picking this up cheaply. HP documentation on doing this can be found here: www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03597044 

You would need to use an MXM (Mobile PCI Express)-based video card. Doesn't look like one is included here, so you'll have to do some hunting for one that will work with this.  You would also likely need to hunt down a larger (180W) power brick to replace the 135W that comes stock. Overall, expect to spend at least another $100 to make this happen.

rated:
robstahl21 said:   on the original deal... 4gb is NOT enough RAM and this is almost definitely a SLOWWW 5400rpm hard drive. The CPU is plenty fast enough for any basic computing... but it will be hampered by the lack of RAM and slow drive.

Having worked on hundreds of the SFF version of this, I wholeheartedly concur. The 4GB memory and stock mechanical drive will seem fine at first, but it will get bogged down pretty quickly as you start installing much of anything, especially if running Windows.  We've taken old 8300 SFF's deployed with these specs that were old, laggy beasts, popped in another 4GB and transferred the drive image from the mechanical drive to an SSD, and they run about as well as new office PC's under otherwise the exact same load.  Night and day difference.

rated:
MisterBeefhead said:   No HDMI on this system. I can't find anything definite on if this system supports audio over displayport. If it does, it seems like this would make for a great HTPC.
It DOES support Audio Over DisplayPort.  Solution for setting it up can be found here: h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Elite-8300-Ultra-Slim-No-Audio-via-Display-Ports-Solution/td-p/4986680  (NOTE: You'll probably need to cut and paste this address, as FW seems to be adding junk to the end of the link that HP 's support site doesn't like.)

rated:
Do you know how many memory slots are there in this? Just 2 or 4?. I am thinking of a VirtualBox but then 4GB is way too low. I am looking at something like 16GB or 32GB. If there are 4 slots I can do that.
PC's have gone up in price for some reason.

rated:
isn't $150 about what win10 pro goes for?
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Pro-64-bit-OEM/dp/B00ZS...

i have had luck using the COA serial number from HP's on other machines, so someone could buy this for the COA and donate the hardware to charity for a $XXX tax write off

rated:
Broulin said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   No HDMI on this system. I can't find anything definite on if this system supports audio over displayport. If it does, it seems like this would make for a great HTPC.
It DOES support Audio Over DisplayPort.  Solution for setting it up can be found here: h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Elite-8300-Ultra-Slim-No-Audio-via-Display-Ports-Solution/td-p/4986680  (NOTE: You'll probably need to cut and paste this address, as FW seems to be adding junk to the end of the link that HP 's support site doesn't like.)

would this work for HP dc 7900 with display port?

rated:
brusbrother said:   
Broulin said:   

would this work for HP dc 7900 with display port?

Assuming you mean with the integrated one, my guess would be that this would not work on a dc7900. The integrated video on the 7900 is a GMA-series, and on the 8200 is an HD-series. Very different beasts with different drivers.  Sorry!

rated:
Rajeeva said:   Do you know how many memory slots are there in this? Just 2 or 4?. I am thinking of a VirtualBox but then 4GB is way too low. I am looking at something like 16GB or 32GB. If there are 4 slots I can do that.
PC's have gone up in price for some reason.

The bad news is that it only has two SODIMM slots. The good news is that it will handle 8GB in each, so you can hit your 16GB mark with this.

rated:
Our 10-year-old (awesome!) Dell Zino HD machine just had the HDMI video die . It is the only device attached to our bizarre home theater system that consists of a TOSlink (optical) surround sound Logitech (fantastic sub-woofer, great sound!) and a 1080p Vivatec projector (via HDMI) mounted on the ceiling rafter, beaming at a 16-foot screen with special blackened curtains; we could stream, use chrome, win7, youtube, etc. A forced win10 update bricked the device but it came back (better!!) as a mint linux system and all the local videos and streaming stuff worked just as well on mint linux. It even played bluerays. Chrome worked fine on linux, and for a while we even get a bash shell (bonus!). But it was powered on and ran hot for 10 years (especially in the summer without a/c) so the video card cooked out some of the magic smoke and now we must give it an honorable send-off to environmentally responsible recycling and search for a replacement. We are soliciting suggestions for a replacement that will last 10 years (4K video out on HDMI-latest).  Which form factor and what should we get?  Thanks in advance.

rated:
keinesorge said:   Our 10-year-old (awesome!) Dell Zino HD machine just had the HDMI video die . It is the only device attached to our bizarre home theater system that consists of a TOSlink (optical) surround sound Logitech (fantastic sub-woofer, great sound!) and a 1080p Vivatec projector (via HDMI) mounted on the ceiling rafter, beaming at a 16-foot screen with special blackened curtains; we could stream, use chrome, win7, youtube, etc. A forced win10 update bricked the device but it came back (better!!) as a mint linux system and all the local videos and streaming stuff worked just as well on mint linux. It even played bluerays. Chrome worked fine on linux, and for a while we even get a bash shell (bonus!). But it was powered on and ran hot for 10 years (especially in the summer without a/c) so the video card cooked out some of the magic smoke and now we must give it an honorable send-off to environmentally responsible recycling and search for a replacement. We are soliciting suggestions for a replacement that will last 10 years (4K video out on HDMI-latest).  Which form factor and what should we get?  Thanks in advance.
Was it this one ?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/292097130486

rated:
keinesorge said:   Our 10-year-old (awesome!) Dell Zino HD machine just had the HDMI video die . It is the only device attached to our bizarre home theater system that consists of a TOSlink (optical) surround sound Logitech (fantastic sub-woofer, great sound!) and a 1080p Vivatec projector (via HDMI) mounted on the ceiling rafter, beaming at a 16-foot screen with special blackened curtains; we could stream, use chrome, win7, youtube, etc. A forced win10 update bricked the device but it came back (better!!) as a mint linux system and all the local videos and streaming stuff worked just as well on mint linux. It even played bluerays. Chrome worked fine on linux, and for a while we even get a bash shell (bonus!). But it was powered on and ran hot for 10 years (especially in the summer without a/c) so the video card cooked out some of the magic smoke and now we must give it an honorable send-off to environmentally responsible recycling and search for a replacement. We are soliciting suggestions for a replacement that will last 10 years (4K video out on HDMI-latest).  Which form factor and what should we get?  Thanks in advance.
  That's not the topic of this thread. Start a new one.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017