This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Airlink AR430w Super-G 108Mbps Wireless-G Broadband Router

FRYS.com #: 5208947
Extend the range of your current Airlink101 or other wireless network. Use with Airlink101 AWLH4130 PCI or AWLC4130 Cardbus for transferring files up to 108*Mbps. Compatible with products using Atheros Super G technology for 108*Mbps.

Limit 2 per Household.
(when purchased between 02/15/2008 and 02/19/2008)

Link

Edit by Moderator: Clarified Title at user request.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What I failed to understand is why WDS is relevant here (my main router don't support WDS) ?
THANKS - YARON !

YARONDR (Apr. 04, 2009 @ 3:21a) |

What I failed to understand is why WDS is relevant here (my main router don't support WDS) ?
THANKS - YARON !

YARONDR (Apr. 04, 2009 @ 3:21a) |

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zikronix,
Hi,
Loved your p... (more)

YARONDR (Apr. 04, 2009 @ 3:31a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
How good are these (the router itself not DD-WRT) BTW these are sometimes on sale at the B&M for $20

rated:
thegreatfixer said: How good are these (the router itself not DD-WRT)They are usably OK. No frills, and you can generally get them to work if you know what you are doing. Just like ECS mobos. Online documentation is crap, and I'd imagine CS is also. Gonna get a couple if they are $22 instore, just for dd-wrt. Anyone try Tomato?
What happened to the great Frys ad posts, GF?

rated:
does this have a wired router also? I am looking to replace my old wirless router, but have 3 wired connections.

rated:
EriCCirE said: does this have a wired router also? I am looking to replace my old wirless router, but have 3 wired connections.

# Ethernet: IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u WAN / LAN 1 x 100BaseTX WAN port with Auto-MDI/MDIX & 4 x 100BaseTX LAN port with Auto-MDI/MDIX

rated:
EriCCirE said: does this have a wired router also? I am looking to replace my old wirless router, but have 3 wired connections.
I think you mean, does it have a built in switch? Yes, 4 port 10/100.

rated:
dupe, delete

rated:
fentonpcrackshell said: thegreatfixer said: How good are these (the router itself not DD-WRT)They are usably OK. No frills, and you can generally get them to work if you know what you are doing. Just like ECS mobos. Online documentation is crap, and I'd imagine CS is also. Gonna get a couple if they are $22 instore, just for dd-wrt. Anyone try Tomato?
What happened to the great Frys ad posts, GF?


there's more active development for ddwrt and an active user base. Tomato has a lot of features but you get less updates and help. plus ddwrt supports more hardware types.

rated:
Hot Hot HOT!!! Thanks OP for letting us know that they're DDWRT compatible...I checked some a long time back and they weren't, haven't looked since.


great deal, no rebates...sigh...I don't need em but I'll stock up for when someone I know asks what I suggest for a router.

edit: here's some flashing instructions

rated:
glenatuf said:
edit: here's some flashing instructions


Thanks for the instructions!

I've read mixed reviews on this thing with DD-WRT working in Bridge Mode. Can anyone confirm that this will work in bridge mode /w DD-WRT? Sick of using my laptop as a wireless bridge for my 360 This will be so much cleaner.


Thanks,

-Glacious

rated:
Thanks... I need to replace my router.

Any possibility of free shipping? It increases the price to almost $30

rated:
its a toss up with the bridging.

Im currently using a set of belkins with their stock firmware for their bridging ability.

I have a frys in my state but this item is not availaible locally. Shipping kinda makes it not so hot but its better than me spending 100.00 on two wrt54gl's
the flashing procedure is similar. From what I gather you have to flash a specialized version first ( a custom mini perhaps) then you can go to the full deal.

These have the same memory as the gl's so

I guess we will find out.

I have so much b/g traffic in my area is retarded. I thought of going N or a but everything thing i have is on g (i can revert to a) but i have yet to find an a router that supports bridging on A...and i have a hard time paying for an AP

rated:
I did this. It is working great as an access point with dd-wrt. However I think there are still some bugs with this. I tried to convert this to a client bridge (gaming adapter) but couldn't get it to work. This isn't just me because I have 5 dd-wrt router/bridges throughout the house with Buffalo and Linksys. However this is the only one that I have had problem with setting up as a bridge. As a router it has been going strong.

You can go to dd-wrt forums and see that people are having problems.

rated:
just wondering this is the older model AR430w

there is a newer one (that has been $20 B&M)
the AR431w might it be better?

Airlink AP431w 108g Access Point, Repeater, PIP, Bridge and AP Client all in one!

rated:
awesome OP, got 2; was so sad after buffalo stopped selling routers in the past few months, linksys is atleast twice the price of buffalo after rebates.... needed some more dd-wrt bridges, and this fits the bill perfect without any rebates.

rated:

rated:
minghi said: awesome OP, got 2; was so sad after buffalo stopped selling routers in the past few months, linksys is atleast twice the price of buffalo after rebates.... needed some more dd-wrt bridges, and this fits the bill perfect without any rebates.
That's why I grabbed the two on clearance that I could find at BestBuy.

rated:
thegreatfixer said: just wondering this is the older model AR430w

there is a newer one (that has been $20 B&M)
the AR431w might it be better?

It's not old model / new model.

AR430w = router (1 WAN, 4 LAN ports + WLAN)
AP431w = not a router (1 LAN port + WLAN)

rated:
rc1136 said: thegreatfixer said: just wondering this is the older model AR430w

there is a newer one (that has been $20 B&M)
the AR431w might it be better?

It's not old model / new model.

AR430w = router (1 WAN, 4 LAN ports + WLAN)
AR431w = not a router (1 LAN port + WLAN)




Hmm interesting, I didn't catch that....here's the product link

rated:
WhoBeDaPlaya said: minghi said: awesome OP, got 2; was so sad after buffalo stopped selling routers in the past few months, linksys is atleast twice the price of buffalo after rebates.... needed some more dd-wrt bridges, and this fits the bill perfect without any rebates.
That's why I grabbed the two on clearance that I could find at BestBuy.


wonder how i missed that. was it posted on FW? how much were they? damm... buffalo routers are awesome... hopefully the airlink will perform the same. i had an airlink ar410 with d-link firmware about 4 years back which still works great in my brother's house.

rated:
as far as I know, this router has always been close to 20 bucks from frys. Whats hot about it?

PS -It was $10 AR as a BF deal (from frys)...

rated:
zikronix said: Im currently using a set of belkins with their stock firmware for their bridging ability.
could you share which model you're using?? thanks!

rated:
I'm all for the DD-WRT features, but does a software upgrade actually improve the hardware? What I want most of all is a router that rarely crashes, and doesn't need to be reset every couple of days like the Netgear that I'm using. I'd always assumed DD-WRT added features but did nothing about stability until I saw some posts that suggested otherwise.

rated:
glenatuf said: rc1136 said: thegreatfixer said: just wondering this is the older model AR430w

there is a newer one (that has been $20 B&M)
the AR431w might it be better?

It's not old model / new model.

AR430w = router (1 WAN, 4 LAN ports + WLAN)
AR431w = not a router (1 LAN port + WLAN)




Hmm interesting, I didn't catch that....here's the product link

They're reported to be almost identical, and people suspect the only difference is in the firmware and lack of 4-port switch on the AR431W. The AR430W sells frequently for $19.99 and the AR431W for $29.99 at Fry's B&M.

I had no issues converting my $9 (from Fry's Black Friday) AR430W to DD-WRT firmware, but had all sorts of issues getting it to work reliably as a wireless bridge for my Tivo. Eventually gave up.

rated:
http://catalog.Belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179477

Belkin F5D7231-4 version 1000

I paid 20.00 for this router like 4 years ago after rebates. The bridging side is the hokeiest set up but it works.

rated:
poohbie said: glenatuf said: rc1136 said: thegreatfixer said: just wondering this is the older model AR430w

there is a newer one (that has been $20 B&M)
the AR431w might it be better?

It's not old model / new model.

AR430w = router (1 WAN, 4 LAN ports + WLAN)
AR431w = not a router (1 LAN port + WLAN)




Hmm interesting, I didn't catch that....here's the product link

They're reported to be almost identical, and people suspect the only difference is in the firmware and lack of 4-port switch on the AR431W. The AR430W sells frequently for $19.99 and the AR431W for $29.99 at Fry's B&M.

I had no issues converting my $9 (from Fry's Black Friday) AR430W to DD-WRT firmware, but had all sorts of issues getting it to work reliably as a wireless bridge for my Tivo. Eventually gave up.


this is NOT good for me cause im wanting to use it as a bridge. I dont want to buy a set of gl's

rated:
LOL.. It bridges just like my belkins....This will be cake.


Don't Worry .......Be HAPPY sucessfully make that BRIDGE

As per your request follow these instructions to BRIDGE using DD-WRT:

You MUST know and set the Channel, SSID, MAC address of the router you will bridge to and set the AR430W's IP address to a different IP than the one you are bridging to.

Go to setup tab
Change the IP of the AP430W to something in the net mask of you network, ie 192.168.1.10
Disable the WAN connection and DHCP server of the AR430W. Save settings. Apply settings. Then close the browser window, open another and log in again with the new IP of the AR430W.

Go to the wireless settings and make sure the Wireless Mode is set to AP. Change the Channel to the one your are bridging to. (this is a bug in DD-WRT, you must change to the correct channel while in AP mode) Save settings.

Go to the Wireless Security settings of the Wireless tab and set the WEP keys exactly as they are on the router you are bridging to. Save settings.

Go to the Ath0-WDS settings of the Wireless tab and put the MAC of the router that you are bridging to in one of the WDS settings. Place the SSID of this router in the long box on the right of the MAC address fields(must match the SSID of the router you are bridging to) Go to the far left of this line and in the drop down specify LAN. Save settings. Apply settings.

Go to the STATUS tab and then the Wireless subtab. At the bottom of this page click SITE SURVEY. You should see the router that you are trying to bridge to in the new page that opens. Click JOIN that router. After successfully joining that router you will get a confirmation page which you can close.

The interface will return to the main Wireless tab, where you should make sure the WIRELESS MODE is set to CLIENT BRIDGE. Save setting. Apply Settings.

You should now be bridged and have all the functions of the router you have bridged to.

Check the bridge by going to the STATUS tab and then the WIRELESS subtab and you should see Wireless Packet Info being Sent and Received. Make sure the CHANNEL and SSID is still correct. Make sure the MODE is showing Client Bridge.

This was written while bridged on the Airlink AR430W!

IMPORTANT: Remember, when using DD-WRT in this fashion, you CANNOT connect to the AR430W wirelessly. The wireless part ONLY connects to the bridged router. You must plug another wireless AP into one of the Cat5 LAN connectors to connect wirelessly. You may however plug a Cat5 cable into the AR430W and directly into your computer/Xbox etc........

I am under the impression that WDS is the ONLY kind of bridging that can be done. If two wireless routers are not WDS capable - they cannot be bridged. If you personally found this not to be the case, please post your instructions and let me try it.

I have to go with the knowledge that most manufacturer's state about WDS. Yes, you can take a non-WDS router and when flashed with DD-WRT, it will make this router WDS capable.

Last edited by captainK on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 10 times in total

rated:
How is this router for an over all wireless.....no bridging or special circumstances router. With just a cable modem to a desktop and notbook with with wireless reciever??? I'm looking for one and honestly ignorant of what exactly I need. Thanks....

rated:
i would say it will probably work fine.

rated:
fentonpcrackshell said: Gonna get a couple if they are $22 instore, just for dd-wrt.

Yes, same price in-store:

5208947

rated:
I am using it as an access point and so far it's been very stable. However i am getting "transmit errors" on the router but it is not impacting me too much, at least it doesn't crash on me.

Stability is a combination of software and hardware.


birdwax said: I'm all for the DD-WRT features, but does a software upgrade actually improve the hardware? What I want most of all is a router that rarely crashes, and doesn't need to be reset every couple of days like the Netgear that I'm using. I'd always assumed DD-WRT added features but did nothing about stability until I saw some posts that suggested otherwise.

rated:
bluesmycolor said: as far as I know, this router has always been close to 20 bucks from frys. Whats hot about it?

PS -It was $10 AR as a BF deal (from frys)...


It's hot because this is the first time that people have been made widely aware of it's capabilities.

I went and did some searching in all the forums, including the archives, and it seems that none of the geniuses around here ever bothered to make a truly informative hot deal post that would have gotten people's attention back in October, when it was first noticed, in November, during Black friday, or in December, during the last deal. This thing has been flying completely under the radar with only a few people really aware of what a great deal it was. Can you imagine what would have happened if more people had known about the availability of a DD-WRT compatible router being available for only $9.99?!

It is amazing sometimes the amount of important information that gets lost in the shuffle here on FW, because newbies and other people don't know how to write titles and compose posts that grab people's attention. There should have been a topic posted in hot deals on BF that went something like this:

OMFG!!! Run!!! DD-WRT Compatible Router!!! Only $9.99!!! Fry's Electronics - Black Friday Only!!! Run!!! OMFG!!!

That is how you compose the title on a truly hot deal like that. I'm being partly sarcastic, but you get my point.

Now that we know what's going on, we can be a little less sad that Buffalo has been banned in the U.S., and we can watch the price on the router for the next time there's a good Fry's holiday weekend sale.

Sigh.

rated:
how does this fare up with Linksys WRT54GS .. in terms of wireless speed ...

the GS is SpreadSpectrum
the Airlink is "SuperG" ..

which one can provide better wireless speeds (of course provided both the "sender" and "receiver" are of the same capability) ..

I am looking at wireless networking my MythTV .. it would involve streaming video ..

the other side of the coin is .. my current WRT54GS is a DD-WRT VPN .. I have not found anyone who claimed to have successfully flashed to the VPN version ...

any info appreciated ..

thanks

rated:
zikronix said: This was written while bridged on the Airlink AR430W!

IMPORTANT: Remember, when using DD-WRT in this fashion, you CANNOT connect to the AR430W wirelessly. The wireless part ONLY connects to the bridged router. You must plug another wireless AP into one of the Cat5 LAN connectors to connect wirelessly. You may however plug a Cat5 cable into the AR430W and directly into your computer/Xbox etc........

I am under the impression that WDS is the ONLY kind of bridging that can be done. If two wireless routers are not WDS capable - they cannot be bridged. If you personally found this not to be the case, please post your instructions and let me try it.

I have to go with the knowledge that most manufacturer's state about WDS. Yes, you can take a non-WDS router and when flashed with DD-WRT, it will make this router WDS capable.

Glad to hear you got it working (good instructional post too!). I was trying to bridge an AR430W DD-WRT to an AR430W with Airlink firmware. Since a stock AR430W is not WDS capable, I assume that was my problem. Although I did get it working without security enabled in Bridge mode (rather than Client Bridge mode...what's the difference between these 2 modes?)

And a couple other questions...what router are you bridging to, and are you able to use WPA2 encryption in bridge mode?

rated:
This is $19.99 at Frys in DFW today for President's Day:
Link

rated:
How about this one for 32 bucks(after rebate) at Buy.com

http://www.Buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202592933


1. Buy.com is carrying this Wireless Router for $56.99
2. There is a $25 Exclusive Mail-In Rebate on it until 02/29/2008
3. Buy.com is offering Free Shipping on this item
4. Your Final Price: $56.99 - $25 = $31.99 + Free Shipping

rated:
SickTeddyBear said: OMFG!!! Run!!! DD-WRT Compatible Router!!! Only $9.99!!! Fry's Electronics - Black Friday Only!!! Run!!! OMFG!!!
Sigh.


Now I wish I hadn't upgraded to the airlink+ mimo stuff. Although with the 1 mimo router I'm now getting a good signal were I was getting a very weak one.
Last I checked the AR430w is a reboxed d-link router with an airlink interface.

rated:
BAM! - 20 bucks OTD at BM in DFW Take that all of you without Fry's BM nearby. Ok ok I kid I kid. I was one of you for a long time. =) It's only two bucks more online.

-G

rated:
valleypoboy said: SickTeddyBear said: OMFG!!! Run!!! DD-WRT Compatible Router!!! Only $9.99!!! Fry's Electronics - Black Friday Only!!! Run!!! OMFG!!!
Sigh.


Now I wish I hadn't upgraded to the airlink+ mimo stuff. Although with the 1 mimo router I'm now getting a good signal were I was getting a very weak one.
Last I checked the AR430w is a reboxed d-link router with an airlink interface.
D-Link and Airlink use the same OEM (Global Sun Technology). In the past, I would match up Airlink and D-Link products that used identical hardware, and with some firmware editing, mix and match firmwares.
The AR430W definitely shares the same internal hardware as one of the later D-Link DI-624 revisions, although I haven't looked into editing the firmware to make them cross-compatible.

Skipping 44 Messages...
rated:
zikronix said: LOL.. It bridges just like my belkins....This will be cake.


Don't Worry .......Be HAPPY sucessfully make that BRIDGE

As per your request follow these instructions to BRIDGE using DD-WRT:

You MUST know and set the Channel, SSID, MAC address of the router you will bridge to and set the AR430W's IP address to a different IP than the one you are bridging to.

Go to setup tab
Change the IP of the AP430W to something in the net mask of you network, ie 192.168.1.10
Disable the WAN connection and DHCP server of the AR430W. Save settings. Apply settings. Then close the browser window, open another and log in again with the new IP of the AR430W.

Go to the wireless settings and make sure the Wireless Mode is set to AP. Change the Channel to the one your are bridging to. (this is a bug in DD-WRT, you must change to the correct channel while in AP mode) Save settings.

Go to the Wireless Security settings of the Wireless tab and set the WEP keys exactly as they are on the router you are bridging to. Save settings.

Go to the Ath0-WDS settings of the Wireless tab and put the MAC of the router that you are bridging to in one of the WDS settings. Place the SSID of this router in the long box on the right of the MAC address fields(must match the SSID of the router you are bridging to) Go to the far left of this line and in the drop down specify LAN. Save settings. Apply settings.

Go to the STATUS tab and then the Wireless subtab. At the bottom of this page click SITE SURVEY. You should see the router that you are trying to bridge to in the new page that opens. Click JOIN that router. After successfully joining that router you will get a confirmation page which you can close.

The interface will return to the main Wireless tab, where you should make sure the WIRELESS MODE is set to CLIENT BRIDGE. Save setting. Apply Settings.

You should now be bridged and have all the functions of the router you have bridged to.

Check the bridge by going to the STATUS tab and then the WIRELESS subtab and you should see Wireless Packet Info being Sent and Received. Make sure the CHANNEL and SSID is still correct. Make sure the MODE is showing Client Bridge.

This was written while bridged on the Airlink AR430W!

IMPORTANT: Remember, when using DD-WRT in this fashion, you CANNOT connect to the AR430W wirelessly. The wireless part ONLY connects to the bridged router. You must plug another wireless AP into one of the Cat5 LAN connectors to connect wirelessly. You may however plug a Cat5 cable into the AR430W and directly into your computer/Xbox etc........

I am under the impression that WDS is the ONLY kind of bridging that can be done. If two wireless routers are not WDS capable - they cannot be bridged. If you personally found this not to be the case, please post your instructions and let me try it.

I have to go with the knowledge that most manufacturer's state about WDS. Yes, you can take a non-WDS router and when flashed with DD-WRT, it will make this router WDS capable.

Last edited by captainK on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 10 times in total

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zikronix,
Hi,
Loved your post, but what I failed to understand is why WDS is relevant here ?
My main doesn't support WDS, yet I want to stream video from the router side, over wireless to a computer that will be connected by cat5 to the AR430W.
Is it possible ?
I thought that AR430W working as client bridge will do it.
BUT according to your post only if WDS is supported ?
I guess there is something I fail to understand in your post.....
YARON !

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016