• filter:

Seagate 500GB Retail Kit SATA $94.99 or IDE $89.99 at Frys/Outpost + FS

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Seagate 500GB Serial ATA/300 16MB Buffer ST3500641AS-RK - Retail Hard Drive Kit. - $94.99 + FS

Seagate 500GB ULTRA DMA/100 16MB Buffer ST3500641A-RK - Retail Hard Drive Kit. - $89.99 + FS

Comes with the Seagate 5 year warranty.

Limit 1 per Household.
(when purchased between 03/28/2008 and 04/01/2008)

More deals in the official Fry's freebies (Free after Rebate) thread.
Member Summary
Both are 7200.9
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Just a FYI, I also saw the IDE version in my Best Buy for $95 (clearance I think). Nice to see a 500GB HD for around $100 with regularity.

rated:

i don't know WTF is wrong with me, i just keep buying.

rated:
Another FYI
I ordered the PATA version last Thursday - It's still saying "In Process",
I called Fry's Sunday - they said it was processing.
I just called Fry's (1826EDT 31 March) and the CSR said the order was "stuck" in their system.
It sounds like they are using pneumatic tubes.
If I had ordered from Newegg it'd be here by now

/edit
Just got a call back with the pi$$-poor excuse that I had ordered 2 and there is now a limit of 1 per household.
After I told the CSR that when I placed the order there was no limit, and she looked it up and agreed, she said it's still stuck in the system.

/edit2
CSR called back and said they will "cancel and reorder it for me" so here I sit with some hope. But if I hadn't called and complained they probably would have sat on it for a week.

rated:
looks like 7200.9 according to model number, they still make it?

rated:
bought an SATA version for 94.99 since i have an empty external enclosure

rated:
disposable said: .

Easy. Stop reading fatwallet.

rated:
lazybummm said: looks like 7200.9 according to model number, they still make it?

what does this mean to me if i'm not familiar with the nuances of the particular model numbers of seagate drives? thx.

rated:
hudster said: lazybummm said: looks like 7200.9 according to model number, they still make it?

what does this mean to me if i'm not familiar with the nuances of the particular model numbers of seagate drives? thx.

link
short and sweet, the difference is perpendicular recording. Hitachi made a fun little "school house rocks" special about it:
here. If you have no idea about perpendicular recording and you're not real tech savvy you can still follow the animation.

This seems strange to me. Most of the Maxtor 500 gig drives shipping now actually seagate 7200.10 and usually float around $10 less when they're on sale... maybe they move faster because of the price difference.

rated:
disposable said: .

as your doctor, i'm sorry to tell you that you've come down with the same crippling disease that millions of others have also contracted (myself included), a disease that has reached epidemic proportions...you have SDA, or more formally known as the Senseless Desire to Acquire. Fortunately, the condition is treatable...

=)

(Disclaimer: IANAD (I Am Not A Doctor), and SDA is not an actual medical condition, disease, or malady. This is all just a joke (well, a half-joke really), please refer to 'joke' in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary if you do not understand the meaning of joke. void where prohibited. see store for complete details. have a nice day)

rated:
valleypoboy said: hudster said: lazybummm said: looks like 7200.9 according to model number, they still make it?

link
short and sweet, the difference is perpendicular recording. Hitachi made a fun little "school house rocks" special about it:
here. If you have no idea about perpendicular recording and you're not real tech savvy you can still follow the animation.

This seems strange to me. Most of the Maxtor 500 gig drives shipping now actually seagate 7200.10 and usually float around $10 less when they're on sale... maybe they move faster because of the price difference.

Bought this kit from stap1es a couple of weeks ago and the drive turned out to be a 7200.11. Just rolled the dice again hoping that Fry's has the same.

Thanks OP!

rated:
gemniii said: Another FYI
I ordered the PATA version last Thursday - It's still saying "In Process",
I called Fry's Sunday - they said it was processing.
I just called Fry's (1826EDT 31 March) and the CSR said the order was "stuck" in their system.
It sounds like they are using pneumatic tubes.
If I had ordered from Newegg it'd be here by now

/edit
Just got a call back with the pi$$-poor excuse that I had ordered 2 and there is now a limit of 1 per household.
After I told the CSR that when I placed the order there was no limit, and she looked it up and agreed, she said it's still stuck in the system.

/edit2
CSR called back and said they will "cancel and reorder it for me" so here I sit with some hope. But if I hadn't called and complained they probably would have sat on it for a week.

This is old news for Frys.com.

Always pay attention to quantity limits on their website. If you order more then the allowed quantity on an order, it will accept the order. However, the entire order will sit in Processing status forever and their sales reps insist they can not touch the orders or alter them while in that state. I have multiple orders going back two plus years that are still showing in my account like that.

If they change the quantity limits you can sometimes get hit with this even though it doesn't show a restriction on the webpage at the time.

Basically if it is a really good deal from Frys.com, think twice before ordering more thenn one of an item on the same order. Or if it's really important to you, call their phone reps and ask about quantity limits.

rated:
bullrake said: valleypoboy said: hudster said: lazybummm said: looks like 7200.9 according to model number, they still make it?

link

Bought this kit from stap1es a couple of weeks ago and the drive turned out to be a 7200.11. Just rolled the dice again hoping that Fry's has the same.

Thanks OP!

I'd brought the PATA version from this Fry's offer... upon receiving it, although the box hinted otherwise, inside there was a 7200.10.

Thanks.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017