• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Dear users:

Please use this area to discuss just what is wrong with the hot deals forum.

I will start:

I AM NOT SEEING ANY HOT DEALS THERE.   

What do you see?

thanks hpm.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
People wouldn't read it and would just check or press whatever button that would tell FW they did.

Rowan (Dec. 08, 2016 @ 5:21p) |

Something worthwhile could be done and be helpful. It doesn't have to be long and complex. If a new system were put in p... (more)

yoregano (Dec. 08, 2016 @ 7:59p) |

Still going on and I'm still frustrated. ​I just posted this in one such thread (link redirects to Neilium's posting gui... (more)

fivetalents (Dec. 16, 2016 @ 12:03p) |

Thank you for visiting. This thread came about due to moderator suggestion. This hot deal HOT DEALS AT BESTBUY CLEARANCE  is what has spawned this post.

Potential short-term courses of action for FW staff (not mutually exclusive):
- Remove leaderboard trophies- Edit by MVP- Only the rookie leaderboard is still enabled. 
- Switch to staff-curated threads for HD forum (sourced from staff or users)
- Add limit to the number of threads a single member can create in one day- Edit by MVP- This is in effect.
- Enable rating filters to apply to each forum separately instead of globally (or make this an option)- Edit by MVP- Global or localized filters have been an option for years. https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/account/change_forum_topics_messages.php 
- Standardize policies about which deal threads belong in which forum
- Consistently apply auto-expire to deals when relevant- Edit by MVP- Auto expiration is a member set variable when posting topics.
- Be more proactive about merging threads when relevant-Edit by MVP- We don't have thread merge functionality, only repost message and locks.
- Display average rating for users
- Do nothing- Edit by MVP- Well this doesn't seem to be a great option

More long-term fixes:
- Modify incentive system so quality is rewarded instead of quantity
- Change rating system to allow voting on multiple aspects of a thread/post (price/product/retailer or helpful/funny)
- Give frequent users blogs on FW so they can post frequent deals without cluttering the forum (the best deals could be promoted to HD or Best Deals)
- Migrate to a more structured forum where threads identify product, retailer, deal price, average price, and retail price (either provided by user or auto-populated)
- Enable cross-thread wikis for popular products and retailers
- Change the forum view so individual OPs are not highlighted by themselves, instead give credit to all who helped provide info

Added 1/7
- Encourage users to set the auto-expire date for a thread when applicable. Consider making this feature more visible and easier to set.
- Publish metadata snapshots of FW thread activity to a database or Excel file
- Make the Quick Summary more visible (e.g. including it as part of the first post, making the first post itself a wiki, adding an automatic reply and bump when the QS is changed)

Added 1/8
- Make it more obvious how to flag a deal as expired. The "skull & crossbones" icon is not obvious for someone unfamiliar that this is the current way to flag a post.
- Add a "needs more info" flag to HD threads, which would alert mods and/or a volunteer group of FW members to add more details to the thread

Added 1/11
- Common sense posting
- Automatically generate thread titles based on user entry in specific fields (merchant name, product name, price, shipping cost, etc.) This kind of goes along with the "Migrate to a more structured" suggestion above, and is being considered.
- Tooltip for merchant names in thread titles to provide info about shipping policies

Added 1/25
- The first thread for a specific deal gets a time window that the deal is bound to that poster (hopefully the OP would improve it or add details requested by others), but after that window a "repost" could be made and kept if deal details/writeup were significantly improved (we had some debate over an itemized details point tally vs general mod judgement).  An "improved repost" rule.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
That moderated HD thread makes me very skeptical that FW actually wants to fix Hot Deals. But I think this particular post in the thread said a lot of what I've thought about HD in recent months. A small number of prolific posters abusing the forum by posting questionable deals separately. Another example I saw just before Christmas was a post about a tablet from X brand with Y specs at Z store, then instantly another post about a tablet from the same brand, at the same store, with different specs. What is the justification for posting these separately? They are so similar that they should be posted together, both to keep the forum uncluttered as well as to give people a single post in which to compare and contrast the tablets to decide which to buy.

One suggestion in that HD thread was to ignore the poster. The problem there, as someone pointed out, was that occasionally the poster actually is the first to get to a good deal, and if you've ignored the poster you'll miss it because reposts aren't allowed.

One might also suggest using the forums' filtering tools to screen out posts that get a lot of red or not enough green. I see several problems with this. One, those filtering preferences follow you around the site. I might want to see only 4+ green posts in HD, but in Deal Discussion where posts rarely go that high I'll be missing out on a lot of discussion. So I'd have to change the filtering each time I enter a new forum, which is clumsy and tedious. The other problem with relying on filtering is that this method becomes less effective the more people use it, because enough people need to see the unrated post to be able to rate it.

I think two things need to happen or at least be considered to improve HD. The first would be a posting limit. The OP here pointed out that ctgolfer has an average of 38 posts per day. All those deals are not hot, not even close. I'd also point out ctgolfer's abysmal ratio of comments to posts. Of his 24,015 posts, 23,799 are new topics. That's over 99%. That means he's only posted 216 replies to a topic and the rest are hit-and-run posts.

If I'm not mistaken, by default, the forum displays 50 hot deal posts to a page. 38 HD on any given day are junk posted by one particular poster. There are other posters also posting lots of junk. That leaves very little room for the quality posts to be seen.

So a posting limit is needed. This could be absolute, or it could be based on deal ratings--if your posts consistently get 0 or negative ratings you don't get to post as much as someone whose posts get consistent positive ratings. If you are blocked for the day, email a mod to manually review your post.

I also think the carrot of achievements and trophies and leaderboards needs to be balanced out with some kind of stick for junk and spammy posting volume. In addition to rewarding people for quality posts, there needs to be a way to discourage the crummy posts that clog up the forum and prevent people from finding the good stuff.

rated:
satchelsofgold said:   That moderated HD thread makes me very skeptical that FW actually wants to fix Hot Deals.

I also think the carrot of achievements and trophies and leaderboards needs to be balanced out with some kind of stick for junk and spammy posting volume. In addition to rewarding people for quality posts, there needs to be a way to discourage the crummy posts that clog up the forum and prevent people from finding the good stuff.

I don't think that is the case at all. The forum is Hot Deals, it is way off topic to rant in HD. The mods merely suggested going to a the correct forum.. hence here.

.. and I agree, I've always thought the Leaderboard should go away, I think some people just make it their mission to make Leaderboard / get cup every week.

rated:
gizmo said:   
satchelsofgold said:   That moderated HD thread makes me very skeptical that FW actually wants to fix Hot Deals.

I don't think that is the case at all. The forum is Hot Deals, it is way off topic to rant in HD. The mods merely suggested going to a the correct forum.. hence here.

Yeah, that's a fair point and I'm halfway with you but I also know that relatively few people frequent the FatWallet forum. Hopefully now that you linked this thread from the Best Buy clearance thread it will get more visibility.

rated:
FW is in a tough position here. On the one hand, they make money when people click on deals in the HD forum, so more deals = good. But on the other hand, a handful of users is responsible for diluting the quality of the forum and sharply decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio, which can drive users away from the site completely. As mentioned above FW is largely responsible for putting itself in this situation thanks to counterproductive incentives.

Perhaps these problem users can be given their own blogs on FW where they can post as many deals as they want without cluttering up forums? The best of those deals can be promoted to Best Deals and/or the HD forum by FW staff.

rated:
  Well said satchelsofgold!!  You summed it up perfectly.  I think that ctgolfer doesn't really exist.  I do not understand how someone would only initially post and then rarely post again.  There is always additional information to be given out or questions to answer.  It isn't always just the hot deal that helps but the comments from other people.  And how can you get that many negative comments and not care?  FW is meant to help people get a great deal.  If I wasn't giving a good deal or folks thought I wasn't I would simmer down on the posting. 

rated:
2 pages of posts and no response from the OP? Someone mentioned BOT, I guess we have a few years before AI knows what a true "hot deal" is, and will defend it.  This post got shit-canned my a "moderator". I was just wondering, do you think FW is circling CW or CCW around the bowl? I guess it depends which hemisphere? The Kool-aid drinkers are the last to know, too much time in the bunker. 

rated:
hpmaster said:   Dear users:

Please use this area to discuss just what is wrong with the hot deals forum.

I will start:

I AM NOT SEEING ANY HOT DEALS THERE.   

What do you see?

thanks hpm.

Personally, I disagree with this assessment. There are hot deals to be found, but there is just way too much garbage to sift through. A big problem is that there is very little discussion in deal threads any more (though I couldn't tell you when exactly this started happening).

rated:
jayK said:   Perhaps these problem users can be given their own blogs on FW where they can post as many deals as they want without cluttering up forums? The best of those deals can be promoted to Best Deals and/or the HD forum by FW staff.
  I was thinking something similar here.  Something like a 'Hottest Deals" page/forum where no one could post directly, but where posts in the HD forum that achieve a certain level of green automatically get cross-posted by the system.  I know there is a best deals page, but that requires a human mod to step in and designate it as such.  What i'm proposing would be automated, with the hotness being decided by all of us FWers.

rated:
I think the real basis for the value of a "hot deal" is "has the OP given strong consideration to buying the deal themselves" ? That's what made for a great forum that was more well pruned/selected than SD in the past. I fear that maybe the damage has been done to the quality traffic already, which is difficult to get back. I'm also concerned that maybe a "post count" or "new deals number vs SD" metric is being boosted for the sake of evaluating if the site is worth keeping running with a new entity owning ebates and FW.

rated:
Also, maybe some mods should be more pro-active in teaching some of those super-prolific posters about the auto expire of their deals ?

When such a large fraction of the deals posted by so few are "daily deals" and they're not setting the auto-expire it creates a lot more dead weight in the forum.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1418619/
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1418620/
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1418621/
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1418614/

rated:
comprx said:   
jayK said:   Perhaps these problem users can be given their own blogs on FW where they can post as many deals as they want without cluttering up forums? The best of those deals can be promoted to Best Deals and/or the HD forum by FW staff.
  I was thinking something similar here.  Something like a 'Hottest Deals" page/forum where no one could post directly, but where posts in the HD forum that achieve a certain level of green automatically get cross-posted by the system.  I know there is a best deals page, but that requires a human mod to step in and designate it as such.  What i'm proposing would be automated, with the hotness being decided by all of us FWers.

This can be done today by changing the ratings filter to "Better" or "Best" so threads that aren't upvoted disappear. However in order for posts to be upvoted in the first place they must be visible, and when there is such a high volume of new threads posted daily by a few problem users it's asking a lot of the community to sort through such a large haystack to find a few needles here and there.

rated:
I still think that certain HD posters who have thousands of HD posts are either bots or FW employees based in India who search for random sites to look for supposedly hot deals.  A lot of us have been around here way long not to figure that out. 

rated:
I don't think they're bots, since I had a rather rude suggestion from one prolific poster to look into feminine hygene products this morning after I asked if they bought the women's jacket deal they posted.  Not exactly becoming of an employee either, but 'tis the internet.

rated:
Rakuten didn't see the need to commercialize FW when they bought in in September.  
Must do well enough financially on its own.

rated:
ChefJoe said:   I don't think they're bots, since I had a rather rude suggestion from one prolific poster to look into feminine hygene products this morning after I asked if they bought the women's jacket deal they posted.  Not exactly becoming of an employee either, but 'tis the internet.
  Fembots?

rated:
ChefJoe said:   I don't think they're bots, since I had a rather rude suggestion from one prolific poster to look into feminine hygene products this morning after I asked if they bought the women's jacket deal they posted.  Not exactly becoming of an employee either, but 'tis the internet.
  It's a pissy bot.

rated:
You might also have to look outside of the hot deals forum.

I've made two posts I considered hot deals, although they had a state/city specificity. Not something there's a category for.

A liquor rebate good for WA state for up to $100 off 5 large bottles (smaller amounts had lesser rebate dollars) was moved from hot deals into deal discussion. I asked why and said "it's either a hot deal or a grocery thing" but WA residents know it's only very recently that liquor started to be sold in most grocery stores. The deal was moved into grocery deals. The rebate is still valid, if you find an original form, but apparently deal discussion is now where they place deals with limited applicability (although you won't see any statements of that in instructions for posters).

I also posted a deal for $30 off your first Amazon Fresh order, limited to 3 cities and prime members. I thought it might be targeted when I first posted to grocery deals (because, Fresh is mostly groceries), then edited that out when I read the widespread applicability. A mod moved it into deal discussion. When I clarified, a mod said they'd move it back into hot deals but that hasn't happened yet, 1.5 hrs later.... I've been acting the assh*le lately, so that might influence it.

Some hot deals might be slipping by because the explanation of categories to users is rather dated/incomplete and deals are being filed elsewhere.  I'm sure the way categories are only explained in a short mouse-over on the forum overview also adds to the mods feeling like they're moving posts around constantly.

rated:
This is a great example of how unfriendly FW has become.

Linky

rated:
sarah said:   This is a great example of how unfriendly FW has become.

Linky

At least there is discussion in the thread. Many is the time I look at the front page of the HD forum and see just 2 threads with any replies at all. I wish there was more discussion from people who have experience with the item in the deal, the merchant in the deal or who just have questions about the deal. It gives the impression that this place is a ghost town now.

rated:

I don't think your example is that bad. But you are right in that people can and will act rude here. I've set "ignore" on several veteran users—many who post frequently, usually even in a reasonable fashion—just to serve as a reminder of the the asinine potential.

I've told myself (and others) for years that you gotta have thick skin and take with a grain of salt what kind of commentary goes on in an internet forum. I've said plenty of things myself on forums that were inflammatory and sarcastic, most of it tongue-in-cheek, though.

I do wish the mods would require a sort of mini-tutorial or something before newbies could post. I think that would cut down on a lot of the lousy posting quality that invites snarky comments (even if they aren't deserved). Sometimes there is a language barrier, sometimes there's unfamiliarity, but sometime there are just plain awful communication skills at work. Some of these people post like they just stepped out of a time warp.

This thread goes back to the issue at hand, though, of super-prolific posters who are certainly posting lots and lots of marginal-quality threads. Yes, this is in the eye of the beholder, but with many people commenting here and greening the OP it is apparent that there is a significant contingent that feels strongly about this. What should be done about it? Good question.

rated:
excoriatorb said:   

Linky

At least there is discussion in the thread. Many is the time I look at the front page of the HD forum and see just 2 threads with any replies at all. I wish there was more discussion from people who have experience with the item in the deal, the merchant in the deal or who just have questions about the deal. It gives the impression that this place is a ghost town now.

Why don't you join in that discussion too if you feel you have something to add. The more often that happens maybe this site can be like we remember it again.

I'm not new to this site. I've been taking some time to consider what I'd like to say in this thread. I go pretty far back. I'm from the dvdtalk days, then a bunch of us moved to anandtech and if memory serves me correctly FW spawned from there as a result of member discontent. 

rated:
satchelsofgold said:   That moderated HD thread makes me very skeptical that FW actually wants to fix Hot Deals. But I think this particular post in the thread said a lot of what I've thought about HD in recent months. A small number of prolific posters abusing the forum by posting questionable deals separately. Another example I saw just before Christmas was a post about a tablet from X brand with Y specs at Z store, then instantly another post about a tablet from the same brand, at the same store, with different specs. What is the justification for posting these separately? They are so similar that they should be posted together, both to keep the forum uncluttered as well as to give people a single post in which to compare and contrast the tablets to decide which to buy.

One suggestion in that HD thread was to ignore the poster. The problem there, as someone pointed out, was that occasionally the poster actually is the first to get to a good deal, and if you've ignored the poster you'll miss it because reposts aren't allowed.

One might also suggest using the forums' filtering tools to screen out posts that get a lot of red or not enough green. I see several problems with this. One, those filtering preferences follow you around the site. I might want to see only 4+ green posts in HD, but in Deal Discussion where posts rarely go that high I'll be missing out on a lot of discussion. So I'd have to change the filtering each time I enter a new forum, which is clumsy and tedious. The other problem with relying on filtering is that this method becomes less effective the more people use it, because enough people need to see the unrated post to be able to rate it.

I think two things need to happen or at least be considered to improve HD. The first would be a posting limit. The OP here pointed out that ctgolfer has an average of 38 posts per day. All those deals are not hot, not even close. I'd also point out ctgolfer's abysmal ratio of comments to posts. Of his 24,015 posts, 23,799 are new topics. That's over 99%. That means he's only posted 216 replies to a topic and the rest are hit-and-run posts.

If I'm not mistaken, by default, the forum displays 50 hot deal posts to a page. 38 HD on any given day are junk posted by one particular poster. There are other posters also posting lots of junk. That leaves very little room for the quality posts to be seen.

So a posting limit is needed. This could be absolute, or it could be based on deal ratings--if your posts consistently get 0 or negative ratings you don't get to post as much as someone whose posts get consistent positive ratings. If you are blocked for the day, email a mod to manually review your post.

I had to quote you because it was said so elegantly I want to be sure it is archived for everyone to see.

rated:
I've only been a "member" since 2012 but was a LONG time lurker. The HD forum was the best at one point in time. Great deals, great discussions, great feedback. Now I glance at the HDs and move on. The site is a shell of what it was. The good deal posters were chased away while the creeps who ruined the site were allowed to run the asylum. It's a shame, this was such a great site.

rated:
MODS:
I CANNOT FIND HOT DEALS IN THE FAT WALLET HOT DEALS FORUM BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY SUCKY DEALS THERE.
I CANNOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE JUSTIFICATION OF ANYONE POSTING 30+ HOT DEALS PER DAY
THANK YOU.

For me, a hot deal used to be something that was virtually unavailable without serious thought and a few tricks.  Tricks such as:  price matching, coupons, loyalty card, rebates (or multiple rebates), etc.

rated:
hpmaster said:   For me, a hot deal used to be something that was virtually unavailable without serious thought and a few tricks.  Tricks such as:  price matching, coupons, loyalty card, rebates (or multiple rebates), etc.
I'm not so sure that's a mainstream definition. For me, a hot deal is when something is available for less than what it usually costs, regardless of how much effort is involved or how complex the deal is.   

I think adding some visualization features to the HD forum view would help a lot. For example, next to a thread title in HD there could be three bar graphs: retail price, average available price (something like the average price on camelcamelcamel), and the deal price (along with an after-rebate price if there is a rebate involved). This would require some development effort (leveraging a large database of products (should be available from FW's parent company Rakuten) and gathering price info from around the web) and more structured threads, but it would let people see at a glance whether or not the deal is worth it.

rated:
Product-specific wikis that could be cross-linked from several threads would also be useful. For example, there has been a lot of discussion around products like Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and cheap Windows 8.1 tablets but they are all siloed in individual threads that may not even reference an active deal any more. A product-centric view that can aggregate all deals and all discussion about that product in one place would be great, but again this would require a more structured forum using an abstraction model of a relational database instead of a list of relatively unstructured threads.

rated:
An item that is regularly $10, on sale for $5 but you have to pay $8.95 (and not mentioning there is a shipping charge) shipping is NOT a hot deal and does not belong in the hot deals forum. Cryptic/Vague posts like this.. NOT a hot deal and don't belong in the hot deals forum.

People are asking you to NOT be lazy in 2015

Know what a hot deal actually is (Since Best Buy opened their doors they've had a clearance section.. so is it a hot deal in 2014 or 2014 all of a sudden?)
 2.  Post the shipping charge. It should be a requirement here so they know they are or aren't getting a deal. That has gotten old. It's like SOME posters here don't want you to know about that $8.95 shipping charge... weird.

Remember, quality not quantity.  Stop worrying about those pretty little avatars you get by posting on National Potato Chip Day, Hug an Australian Day and National Candy Corn Day.
 Post something here because it's a deal.
 Just my 2 cents.. again, I spend more time on other forums because of the mess created by a handful of people that refuse to follow the rules. Mods can only do so much.. don't hate on them.

((This was posted in that ugly best buy post but for some reason deleted))

rated:
An example of a hot deal 

Or how about the $99 ReplayTv STBs with lifetime service. I cant seem to locate that thread. That was epic! lol

rated:
sarah said:   
excoriatorb said:   

Linky

Why don't you join in that discussion too if you feel you have something to add. The more often that happens maybe this site can be like we remember it again.

I'm not new to this site. I've been taking some time to consider what I'd like to say in this thread. I go pretty far back. I'm from the dvdtalk days, then a bunch of us moved to anandtech and if memory serves me correctly FW spawned from there as a result of member discontent. 

Most other posters in this thread are implying that the deals are bad. If you're someone who never shops for widgets, and no one replies to the thread, short of leaving the site to search elsewhere, how would you know that the deal on widgets in the original post is bad?

I do reply sometimes if I have experience with the item in the deal, even if I'm not going to buy it. It's disappointing that more posters here don't take it upon themselves to do that kind of posting. If I wanted deals without context, I'd go read at Brad's Deals or Dan's Deals or another deal blog.

rated:
sarah said:   An example of a hot deal 

Or how about the $99 ReplayTv STBs with lifetime service. I cant seem to locate that thread. That was epic! lol

I don't remember a $99 RTV deal with lifetime, but there was a $99 deal without lifetime:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/311718/ 

I still have two lifetime-activated RTVs in my garage, they are free to a good home in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.

There is an archived DD thread about a $149 RTV deal, thanks to miscommunications between the mfr and retailers RTV ended up offering 3 years of service free instead of for $299:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/254797/

rated:
jayK said:   There is an archived DD thread about a $149 RTV deal, thanks to miscommunications between the mfr and retailers RTV ended up offering 3 years of service free instead of for $299:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/254797/ 

It was this one: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=24&threadid=255395
I got free lifetime service

rated:
jayK said:   hpmaster said:   For me, a hot deal used to be something that was virtually unavailable without serious thought and a few tricks.  Tricks such as:  price matching, coupons, loyalty card, rebates (or multiple rebates), etc.
I'm not so sure that's a mainstream definition. For me, a hot deal is when something is available for less than what it usually costs, regardless of how much effort is involved or how complex the deal is.   

I think that's too broad, too. By that measure all the Omaha Steaks and Monster Cable sales are hot deals too.

I think defining a hot deal is probably like defining porn: you know it when you see it.

rated:
ach1199 said:   I still think that certain HD posters who have thousands of HD posts are either bots or FW employees based in India who search for random sites to look for supposedly hot deals.  A lot of us have been around here way long not to figure that out. 
  I work the early shift, and in the quiet of the dawn hours, I can click on HD and see the first page or two be all from the same poster, with 2-4 other posters mixed in her page. I agree with your sentiment, especially when  there's no commentary in the post ("Hey, I bought this and thought I'd share" or "I've been watching this for a while" or "Saw this <attached pic> at my local store" type info). 

I called out one of the less prolific posters the other day for posting ONLY a Link. He replied (to paraphrase), "What? You too lazy to go look for yourself?"  Pot. Kettle.Black..

The only thing missing from ACH's post is the word 'automated' which seems more likely than not at least in my recent experience. Does anyone else not remember the sudden appearance (and disapperance) of Selma not so long ago?

rated:
satchelsofgold said:   I think that's too broad, too. By that measure all the Omaha Steaks and Monster Cable sales are hot deals too.
Not really, if you look at how much steak and cables of similar quality costs elsewhere. If Omaha Steaks or Monster Cable provided products that were of significantly higher quality than cheaper alternatives it would be a different story, but they don't, so it's not.

rated:
Here is a thread that shows the negativitiy that I know drove at least one person away. But in this example the good guys came to the rescue. It shows that some people can only think about their own world.
A free item.
Something has been rolling around in the back of my mind that (I think) would set this site head and shoulders ahead of the competing sites. Plus it would help separate the actual good deals from the not so good. It would require some more programming by the FW staff or their contractors. But it would make the users life much easier.

rated:
When posters would post a warm deal, another poster would make it hot by adding a code they received / found/ etc.
or give tips.

one poster stated that the $50 off at Herbergers.com/ is not a deal because they have them all of the time. Well, guess what? we don't have a Herbergers.com/ in Los Angeles. So, therefore, someone posting this not only introduced me to a new store, but gave me a code to try out their services.

Someone posted BeallsFlorida
, meijer, bj's, Kohls, dollar tree, bonton, Dillards...all stores that I don't have access to in my area. Had it not been for this forum, I wouldn't have know that these stores existed.

Some people are so self-centered. Well, If I don't need it, then no one does.

Some posters get mad if someone posts an expensive luxury item. Well, I am sorry if you are a starving student. But some people have reached a point in their lives where they can have a few luxuries. If you can't then your turn will come. Hopefully, that college degree will pay off.

Shipping kills the deal...ughhh.. oh puh leez. You see an item that sold for $100 that is now $20 and you have to pay $5.00 shipping. so what? you still saved $75.

ughhhh

Why not add some insight. It is bad because the product doesn't work, it is cheaply made, a-b-c product does the same for less...this is contributing.

rated:
Another thing that ruins the HD forum for me is that, for new iterations of certain popular phones, tablets, video game systems etc, mere availability at full retail price gets posted as a hot deal.

Full retail price is not a hot deal, regardless of what the item is.

rated:
Ctgolfer and the like keep on doing the same thing, and don't bother to reply to anything or explain/defend their numerous posts. I think that begs for plenty of criticism.

Here is a screen shot of the first page of HD just now:

Skipping 752 Messages...
rated:
fivetalents said:   
Neilium said:     We have also noticed an influx of new members. We are doing our best to work with them and encourage to post in the most constructive and clear ways. Please feel free to offer constructive criticism when needed.  
Whenever I've offered constructive criticism to these newbies, I've been ignored 100% of the time. They don't care about FW or the quality of the deals posted, they just want their contest entry. The rules should have stipulated some sort of quality requirements such as following all posting rules and/or deal getting x-number of green votes.

Still going on and I'm still frustrated. ​I just posted this in one such thread (link redirects to Neilium's posting guidelines added to the contest thread discussed above):  

"We have postings guidelines on this site. Please respect the other other members and keep the quality of Fatwallet high. Thank you. www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1539023?showmessage=19733305 "

I think I'll copy and paste that in replies to sloppy posts going forward. I've wasted too much time giving specific, tailored feedback only to be ignored. Might not work, but it's a better use of my time. 

ETA: I'm a little shocked, but that actually worked. The OP edited their 2 word (product name only) thread title to include merchant, type of discount, effective date, and price. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017