Mark as expired - the easy to use feature that hardly anyone seems to realize

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I might have mentioned this once or twice before...

For the many who don't know about it, there is a link that shows in the top right of the first post of a thread. The purpose is, when a user discovers that a deal is no longer available, one can click this link to immediately send an alert to the moderator who will then move the thread to Expired Deals.

How often is it used? Dunno. But I see many threads on a daily basis where someone just makes a post to a thread indicating the deal is over, and the thread remains in its original location.

Something needs to be done to make people aware of the feature. It just isn't used often enough. Also, the feature only works in Hot Deals and Grocery, I believe. Even though it shows in Freebie threads, FW does not apply it there, citing that freebies often revive after a time. I think this is a bad approach. The majority of freebies are limited offers, and should be treated like other deal threads.

And don't get me started on the auto-expire feature, maybe I'll start a thread on that one, too. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

yoregano said:    Even though it shows in Freebie threads, FW does not apply it there, citing that freebies often revive after a time. I think this is a bad approach. The majority of freebies are limited offers, and should be treated like other deal threads.

Agree!

Disappointing and frustrating that FW doesn't seem to care much about this, and equally disappointing and frustrating that so many people can't seem to figure this out on their own anyway. Even if users aren't aware of the feature, they still should know to alert the moderator some other way. Far too many people just make a post in a thread that a deal is dead and don't do anything else.

Trying to clean out expired deals is indeed something we care about. You are correct: it would be helpful of members let us know when a deal expired in one form or another. Sometimes people let us know something is dead through a mod alert or with a reply. Whenever we see this, we try to let them know they can inform us in just one click.

VBMcGB said:   Trying to clean out expired deals is indeed something we care about.

Then implement the changes suggested in this thread. The status quo isn't working well enough.

yoregano said:   ...Something needs to be done to make people aware of the feature. ...

I've noted what we do. Do you have recommendation on how we can make people aware of the issue outside of contacting them when they don't use it? I'm open to tangible suggestions.

More visible expired notifier
Disclaimer
Something to make the "mark as expired" link more visible. Bigger, bolder, different location? Maybe a large clickable link that shows right under the thread title. (See attached for rough idea.)

Is there a way to prompt the user to click the link when they try and post that a deal is dead with certain obvious keywords (dead, over, expired, sold out, unavailable)? If certain other words flag for approval before a post goes live (for other reasons), this seems possible.

And making the "mark as expired" feature available for freebie posts shouldn't require any programming/content changes, only a decision by FW to simply adopt the change.

yoregano, right idea, but overkill on size and IMHO, placement.  I was thinking more like putting it next to "Mark as Sticky" and "Mark as Favorite", where people are more likely to look at it if it's labeled "Mark as Expired".  The red font, even bold, could work, but let's not make this as big or bigger than the title...

Connman said:   ...but let's not make this as big or bigger than the title...
It's too small as is, is the main point. My mockup was just a quick rendering. Right now, it doesn't stand out and something(s) should be done to make it stand out.

And frankly, why not make it as big as the title, at least at first for a while, to generate awareness. There's plenty of blank space up there, I don't think there's a serious offense to some aesthetic.

And I'm a graphic designer, too. 

I've said this before, and saying it again. In FS no one cares to click that button because when they do, nothing ever happens, so they think "Why bother"? Yes, I have been told there is a threshold that has to be met in order for something to happen. And have been told, repeatedly in response, that FW would 'revisit' the threshold. Either lower or eliminate the threshold, or add some code that pops-up a message to those who click it. It could say "Thanks! We'll look into it and respond if needed." I think if people knew the button actually did something, they'd be more inclined to use it.

I try to revisit threads I post, to see if someone reports a dead offer, and I then edit the thread to reflect that. It would be nice if more OP's took it upon themselves to edit their own posts, instead of leaving it to FW staff to respond to member alerts. There are some thoughtful OP's that do as I do. I do it because I know how frustrated users are to go to a link and find it's dead, then they scroll down the thread and find 1 to 5 or more "DEAD" replies from others.

from: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1519614/ 
yoregano said:   Another thread that should have been set to auto-expire.

Not sure why my thread attracted attention amongst the many others there that announced offers that are now over...
oppidum said:   Why don't you go through the whole Grocery forum and mark most of the threads as expired -- MOST of them are.

For example:

Rite Aid  8/7 - 8/13 ($7.48 MM AZO wyb 4 a/ man Qs/weekly/monthly pp offers; 10 free bottles Herbal Essence a/ man Qs/pp)

CVS 8/7-14 Free/MM Snickers Singles, GM Cereal, Burn Cream, Kids Gummy Worms, more (after ECB, Q's and/or rebates)

Walgreens 8/7-13 69c Dozen Eggs, Free a/RR Trolli GummyCandy, $2mm on Crest TP other deals

etc. etc. etc.

Or just clear that forum out completely and start afresh.

Though it's not really that hard to keep up, since there are only a few entries a day and half of them are of regional interest only.

just quoting here the relevant recent exchange from my "expired" thread, https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1519614/ 
yoregano said:   The exp. date was known at the time of posting. In these cases, the auto-expire feature should be implemented when the thread is posted.

Are there plenty of other threads like this? Sure. I do call many of them out.

The point is, once you are aware of the feature, use it. Don't make excuses about it.

oppidum said:   The expiration date on MOST Grocery forum threads is known at the time of posting.

Please go after all the other expired threads in that forum that are still up, if this situation exercises you so much.

I do not want to use the feature, so I do not use it.

Do you post a lot of informative threads on the Grocery forum? Fatwallet would be more helped to survive by having more efforts in that direction, than it is on this kind of "rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic" nit-picking.

So why did you give my fist post green in this thread then, and then make a post suggesting you do like the feature?

You don't use the feature because you "don't want to" is hardly a compelling argument. And stop complaining about being singled out, that's clearly not the case.

FW put this feature in the forum. That would seem to suggest they think it's useful. It is, but it needs improvement, both from user and resource standpoints.

I see in the future I'll have to pay extra attention to threads you post and call them out when necessary.

So this is clearly not a priority issues as far as FW is concerned, but I still wonder and hope that someday some improvements will be made.

I'm still regularly seeing people post to a thread that a deal is expired but clearly not clicking the link as evidenced by threads still sitting in HD a significant time after someone posts.

Is there any way to flag it as dead on mobile? I sure don't see it if there is.

DragonOnTheEdge said:   Is there any way to flag it as dead on mobile? I sure don't see it if there is.
Good point. I also don't see this on the mobile version of the site.

One of the reasons I don't like mobile sites in general. The simplified view tends to remove too many details and features.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017