Topic Alerts Question

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I currently have a couple of topic alerts setup and am not getting notifications emailed.

Are topic alert keywords case sensitive?  For example:

I have a topic alert set for "garage opener", this topic didn't trigger an alert:  Craftsman 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener with 2 Remotes $113.09 at sears.com + FS 

Am I doing this wrong?  My previous alert for a Nighthawk router seemed to trigger just fine.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Prngr44 said:   I currently have a couple of topic alerts setup and am not getting notifications emailed.

Are topic alert keywords case sensitive?  For example:

I have a topic alert set for "garage opener", this topic didn't trigger an alert:  Craftsman 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener with 2 Remotes $113.09 at sears.com + FS 

Am I doing this wrong?  My previous alert for a Nighthawk router seemed to trigger just fine.

Well, maybe...

From what I recall, topic alerts work way better when you use a single word, phrases don't work as well.  However, it's possible the issue is your alerts being blocked by your email provider.  Are you using the same email address as the one you have registered to your FW account?

Yep.

I've set up and used alerts successfully in the past, just not seeing them get triggered lately.

I use a gmail address.

Can you do me a favor and try removing your alerts, then re-adding them? I know that has helped others in the past.

VBMcGB said:   Can you do me a favor and try removing your alerts, then re-adding them? I know that has helped others in the past.

Thanks.  I will give that a shot.

Deleted, re-added, noticed a couple of garage door opener deals that did not kick out alerts.

Here's the current alert:

Keywords Frequency Search In Forums Format
garage opener Instantly Title & Body Hot Deals Html

Prngr44 said:   Deleted, re-added, noticed a couple of garage door opener deals that did not kick out alerts.

Here's the current alert:

Keywords Frequency Search In Forums Format
garage opener Instantly Title & Body Hot Deals Html

Can you link the threads that you should have received alerts for?

MVP9596 said:     

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1518148/

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1518534/

I would have thought both of these would trigger it.

It could be that you have "garage opener" and both of those thread titles are "garage DOOR opener" that extra word could be the issue.

Prngr44 said:   
MVP9596 said:     

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1518148/ 

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1518534/ 

I would have thought both of these would trigger it.

Thanks for the follow up, this will help us look into it.

dukefanjohn said:   It could be that you have "garage opener" and both of those thread titles are "garage DOOR opener" that extra word could be the issue.
  This ^^^ seems to be the issue. I just signed up for "Kohl's clearance" and "Nike clearance" to catch this thread (which I knew was coming in. I received an instant alert for "Nike  clearance" but not "Kohl's clearance". It appears that the words need to be together in a string for the alert to trigger.

So it's not just keyword based or do I need to setup the string better?

Like garage + door ?

My daily alerts email has changed format spontaneously, from a nice succint text list to a bunch of inline pictures. This makes it take way too long to scroll through. Anybody else seeing this and know how to change it back?

Prngr44 said:   So it's not just keyword based or do I need to setup the string better?

Like garage + door ?

I'll have to look into this more and get back to you with specifics.

fnord123 said:   My daily alerts email has changed format spontaneously, from a nice succint text list to a bunch of inline pictures. This makes it take way too long to scroll through. Anybody else seeing this and know how to change it back?

The new format is meant to improve the mobile experience. There isn't any way to change it back. We're taking feedback right now, and it should affect the next stage of the design's development. 

fnord123 said:   My daily alerts email has changed format spontaneously, from a nice succint text list to a bunch of inline pictures. This makes it take way too long to scroll through. Anybody else seeing this and know how to change it back?

The new format is meant to improve the mobile experience. There isn't any way to change it back. We're taking feedback right now, and it should affect the next stage of the design's development. 

Thanks for the info.  While I could see how this would help mobile experiences with short lists of items, it pretty much is broken if one has long lists of items. The brokenness applies to both mobile and desktop, because one has to do excessive swiping that gets very tiresome.  

fnord123 said:   

Thanks for the info.  While I could see how this would help mobile experiences with short lists of items, it pretty much is broken if one has long lists of items. The brokenness applies to both mobile and desktop, because one has to do excessive swiping that gets very tiresome.  

Agreed wholeheartedly... with a long list of alerts, it's almost unusable... would be great to have an option to still get the "old style" alert email... Thanks.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017