Announcement: Change in Ignoring Staff Deal Hunters

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Some time back, we added the TopAffiliateOffers category so members could choose to hide deals posted by our staff Best Deals Team. However, it turns out that this approach is causing Google search issues. That means we need to revisit the problem and find another solution.

So here's the new plan: You now have the option to "ignore" individual members of the Best Deals Team. In the past, we generally haven't allowed members to "ignore" staff because mods may need to send them messages, and we don't want members to miss them. Since this rationale only applies to mods and not deal hunters, we have made exceptions for them.

So, from now on, we will not be using the TopAffiliateOffers category. Instead, you can place our staff deal hunters on your "ignore" list. Note that you can choose to ignore threads and replies, but you cannot ignore PMs (just in case we need that).

And, in case you are wondering, since I'm not a Best Deals Team member, you cannot ignore me. :p

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If we could rate the "Best Deals Team" member, that would be helpful. Either find us good stuff, or go play pokemon go.

drew2money said:   If we could rate the "Best Deals Team" member, that would be helpful. Either find us good stuff, or go play pokemon go.
  That's a fun idea!

drew2money said:   If we could rate the "Best Deals Team" member, that would be helpful. Either find us good stuff, or go play pokemon go.

I am going to borrow your quote, it is funny

Instead of offering an option to ignore team members, how about offering the required oversight so they're not posting garbage deals? Fake memory cards from fly by night eBay sellers isn't a deal. Garbage rings from Tanga isn't a hot deal. Anything Gearhog is selling isn't a deal. It should be easy for anyone who has used this website longer than a year to know what constitutes a deal.

I'm with the general sentiment here. Post only hot deals to the Hot Deals forum, and advertise elsewhere.

Been a member since '09 and a user much longer than that. It has always irked me that the "mods" or whomever, give themselves "Best Deal" ratings for their own deal posting. I believe they should not be allowed to give themselves the "Deal of the day" ratings. Over the years I have seen some doozies that I wouldn't consider even a deal, no less a Best Deal. One that comes to mind is from last year when I bought a Samsung 23 1/2" monitor from OD for $79.95, brand new (Found the deal on F/W) and 2-3 days later an Acer  19" monitor, priced at $99.95 was given a "Best Deal" rating by the mods. Huh, WHAT?

Maybe it's time to allow us to judge a best deal, based on "greens" that are issued to a limited amount of deals that day? Don't know how feasible that is but it would be better than what exists now.

Regarding "ignoring" team members, I don't think that is a viable solution. Even they can come up with a good deal but giving themselves their own "kudos" is in itself, ignorant. Allow us to earn our own "Best deals".

mudley said:   drew2money said:   If we could rate the "Best Deals Team" member, that would be helpful. Either find us good stuff, or go play pokemon go.
  That's a fun idea!
"That's a fun idea!"
There you have it folks. mudley is an ex-FW employee. If he says something like that, it means it's doable (from FW side) as well as helpful (from user side)

KayK said:   
mudley said:   
  That's a fun idea!

"That's a fun idea!"
There you have it folks. mudley is an ex-FW employee. If he says something like that, it means it's doable (from FW side) as well as helpful (from user side)

I think the only part he read was "go play Pokemon go"

I agree that ignoring Best Deals Team members isn't the best option. The better option would be to help the team improve with regards to what our community wants to see. It helps to have problematic deals identified (like Tanga rings and eBay memory cards). So, let's drill into some specifics. What would you like to see less of? What would you like to see more of?

VBMcGB said:   I agree that ignoring Best Deals Team members isn't the best option. The better option would be to help the team improve with regards to what our community wants to see. It helps to have problematic deals identified (like Tanga rings and eBay memory cards). So, let's drill into some specifics. What would you like to see less of? What would you like to see more of?

Thanks for taking note of what I said, I would agree with your suggestion to discuss it further. It seems however that your post has been unpinned and will filter down and disappear into oblivion unless it is pinned again.

Heh.. heh..heh... Your listening to an ape.

I'd say google whatever the item they are posting the deal on to see if it's cheaper elsewhere.  There was deal on some tablet posted not that long ago that was significantly cheaper on Amazon sold/shipped by Amazon and the deal was listed as one of the top deals or some rating like that.  Basically verify whatever is being posted is an actual deal, don't take the re-sellers 80% off or whatever it is to mean much.

Did this option go away again? Can't ignore the deal hunters individually anymore.

Nope, nothing has changed. PM me usernames and I'll check into it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017