• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
i have Private internet access (pia) vpn.
I used to be able to access fw with it.

no longer
I get blocked.

It says:
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forums/search/results.php on this server
.Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at www.fatwallet.com†Port 80"

turning off vpn just to visit fatwallet then turning it back on is inconvient.
why are you blocking vpn now?†

and any easy way to get around this?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
yurgreat said:   i have Private internet access (pia) vpn.

no longer
I get blocked.

It says:
"Forbidden

††
I'm going to send you a PM to discuss this yurgreat.

rated:

no longer
I get blocked.

It says:
"Forbidden

Yep blocking me too (PIA VPN), that's very unfortunate. Without access via VPN, I will not be using the site much anymore....

The sad thing is that this mostly punishes us legitimate users. The real bad guys don't buy PIA VPN, they just knock over servers or goto AWS, Digital Ocean, etc.†††

rated:
MVP9596 said:   

no longer
I get blocked.

It says:
"Forbidden

††
I'm going to send you a PM to discuss this yurgreat.

† Why a PM, please let us all know why FW is doing this!

rated:
Could I also get a PM with an explanation? Thanks!

rated:
I'll post an update after I get clarification from our IT gurus.

rated:
Same deal for me. Very frustrating.

rated:
What it really comes down to is balancing access with site security needs.† As mentioned above, AWS or Digital Ocean could be havens for people wishing to do harm to our website. However, those are not the only store-fronts for the attacks that we see daily.†

If a company is in business to host servers (co-location, virtual or physical), we donít see any benefit from allowing that traffic to our servers, as we are reasonably sure those are not real members.† Unfortunately, a small amount of collateral damage is that valid users that have contracted for Anonymous VPN services, will be affected as those Anonymous VPN services are generally hosted at the same places as above.†

We aren't able to accommodate every VPN service, nor can we continuously update egress IPs from those services, as they change often (mainly because they get on black lists and need to move to another hosting provider).

The best experience for members visiting FatWallet.com would be a direct connection. If you feel itís necessary to use an anonymous VPN service, please check to see how you can exclude domains (split-tunneling) as in most traffic goes to the VPN proxy, but a few sites can be trusted and go direct.

For this specific example, we've changed a setting on our end to help accommodate those using PIA VPN.

rated:
Is it possible for your servers to allow registered Fatwallet users through your VPN or proxy filters? Or force registered Fatwallet users to log in to Fatwallet if they are using a VPN?

By the way, many (most?) sites that block VPNs do so to track their users by forcing them to turn off their VPNs. I wonder if that's really why Fatwallet has decided to block VPNs...

rated:
FWDamon said:   By the way, many (most?) sites that block VPNs do so to track their users by forcing them to turn off their VPNs. I wonder if that's really why Fatwallet has decided to block VPNs...

Is that related to how they are†now forcing me to allow through the Google ad/tracking IPs that I normally block, so that I can see the stupid Captcha pictures,†in order to†sign in to FW?† (https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fatwallet/1537079)

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016