• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Today I was shown a captcha at log-in, or rather I was not shown one, because I block Google IPs, and therefore I couldn't log in.  When an error message came up saying that the captcha I had entered (which I hadn't entered) was incorrect, I figured out that I had to allow about 8 Google IPs through in order to see the captcha thing and do the little dance for it. 

I did that to become logged in this time, but if allowing Google to follow and record my internet behavior is required for me to participate in Fatwallet, I would be against that, and it would be yet another nail in the coffin for my 'membership' here. 

(That statement will not, to say the least, leave anyone quaking in his/her boots, so I'm not trying to throw any imaginary weight around; I'm just saying that this, if it were going to be a constant roadblock from now on, would be annoying and off-putting.  I don't know if it's a one-time thing or not.) 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Certain criteria have to be met for captcha to become enabled. It was on yesterday for a few hours, and isn't a persistent feature. Unfortunately, this will happen from time to time, but isn't something we've enabled full time.

rated:

rated:
Thankfully it is not needed in Nantucket.

rated:
yoregano said:   https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fatwallet/1424557

The captcha they were talking about in that thread required reading and typing in a few characters, while the captcha that I am complaining about in this thread was 2 different photographs offered to me one after the other where I had to click all the sections that had a street sign in them, and there were 7 sections that did.
It took a comparatively long time to do, and was annoying, but my point here was that I resented the fact that allowing Google connections was required for me to even see or know about the captcha, as a "price" for logging in.

rated:
MVP9596 said:   Certain criteria have to be met for captcha to become enabled. It was on yesterday for a few hours, and isn't a persistent feature. Unfortunately, this will happen from time to time, but isn't something we've enabled full time.

Okay, thanks for explaining that it won't be a constant requirement from now on!

If I run into it, I'll just not log in on that occasion, and will come back another time.

rated:
MVP9596 said:   Certain criteria have to be met for captcha to become enabled. It was on yesterday for a few hours, and isn't a persistent feature. Unfortunately, this will happen from time to time, but isn't something we've enabled full time.
  If that's the case, I'd be interested to know what those criteria are.

I've always been confused as to why sometimes at certain sites I'm asked for Captcha, and other times not asked.  Expanding on that, sometimes I get the picture Captcha that oppidum references but other times it's the simple enter the 5 or 6 digits from the 'scrambled' code...

For what it's worth, I noticed the Captcha at FW for the first time today and that was the first time I visited since I cleaned my computer in the morning with CCleaner.  Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Like oppidum, I, too, hope this is not something I have to deal with very often.

rated:
oppidum said:   
Okay, thanks for explaining that it won't be a constant requirement from now on!

If I run into it, I'll just not log in on that occasion, and will come back another time.

Same here, last time I log on with the captcha.

rated:
In the last 6 days, every single time I have tried to log into Fatwallet, day or night, I have been met with the requirement to allow Google IPs through, and to do the annoying photo Captcha (most recent requirement:  click on the sections with palm trees).

Every time before this evening, I have abandoned those log-in attempts and moved on from the site, intending to log in later when the stupid Captcha thing wasn't in place.

I now realize that this Captcha thing isn't only active for just a couple of hours a day, but is in place apparently almost all the time?

After 6 days of this scenario, I have decided to allow all Google IPs tonight, just to see the Fatwallet Captcha and finally log in, because I wanted to leave a particular post for someone before I forget about it.

I am disappointed in this new way that the site is barricaded, and it's going to drastically reduce the times that I even think to come to Fatwallet and spend a bit of time (whether I log in before reading the site, or not).

rated:
  Then, why is it full time?

rated:
El_Duderino said:   
  Then, why is it full time?

It's not.  It gets turned on when it's needed, and turned off when it is no longer needed.  The length of time it's turned on is going to vary every time.  We do apologize for the inconvenience

rated:
Is there any way that one could avoid this Captcha thing?

Is it shown to everyone, or only to people who approach FW with certain configurations (I dunno, maybe a combination of browser, adblockers, location)?

I hate this thing.

I avoid coming to Fatwallet now, but currently I have an active thread up and I do want to participate in it.

rated:
When it's turned on, there is no way to avoid it. I have to use captcha even while in the office.

rated:
oppidum said:   Is there any way that one could avoid this Captcha thing?Well, if you never log out...

rated:
MVP9596 said:   When it's turned on, there is no way to avoid it. I have to use captcha even while in the office.
Okay, thanks for answering.

You guys must really be under siege or something.

The storefronts captcha of the last 2 days is depressing, grim images of urban blight.  At least they could show peaceful nature shots or something otherwise soothing.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016