How to get rid of Deal of the Day bar on bottom?

Archived From: FatWallet
  • Text Only
rated:
Very annoying.  The Deal of the Day bar has started showing up again.  You can close it but when you go back to FW it is there again.  Why has FW imposed this nagwhere on users?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Here it is once again two months later.  Since we have no response here from a moderator, I guess FW management doesn't ... (more)

duhmel (Apr. 26, 2017 @ 3:26p) |

A couple users have reported earlier in the thread that this doesn't seem to stay minimized (for the day) once you minim... (more)

MVP9596 (Apr. 27, 2017 @ 7:11a) |

I don't want to see it EVER.  If I try to get rid of it, it comes back after I close the browser and open it again.

duhmel (Apr. 27, 2017 @ 10:47a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for letting us know about this. So you are saying it's re-opening with every subsequent visit to the site? Let me know if this is correct and I'll pass this feedback along.

Virgil27 said:   Thanks for letting us know about this. So you are saying it's re-opening with every subsequent visit to the site? Let me know if this is correct and I'll pass this feedback along.
  Reopens after I close browser.  Is there a way to get rid of the Arrow after I close it?  As I remember you tried this about a year ago and had an uproar.  Do you expect any different response now?

Please get rid of this navbar. Nobody likes this type of nagging website design. I blocked it with Adblockplus but we shouldn't have to do that.

duhmel said:   
Virgil27 said:   Thanks for letting us know about this. So you are saying it's re-opening with every subsequent visit to the site? Let me know if this is correct and I'll pass this feedback along.
  Reopens after I close browser.  Is there a way to get rid of the Arrow after I close it?  As I remember you tried this about a year ago and had an uproar.  Do you expect any different response now?

What browser are you using? It is staying closed for me when I close it in Chrome. 

make it go away!!!!!

Virgil27 said:   
duhmel said:   
  Reopens after I close browser.  Is there a way to get rid of the Arrow after I close it?  As I remember you tried this about a year ago and had an uproar.  Do you expect any different response now?

What browser are you using? It is staying closed for me when I close it in Chrome. 

I'm using Chrome and it pops up.  Also, that Arrow blocks content even when minimizing the pop up.  How can I get rid of it entirely?

Can tomorrow's "Deal Of The Day" be a free browser plug-in that eradicates it entirely?

TIA.

It's popping up 2 or 3x while viewing each page. Please get rid of it.

Can not get rid of it.

Why do you insist on doing things to annoy your loyal members?

Make it go away!!!!

This annoying message takes up a lot of space at the bottom of the page.  It is unnecessarily intrusive.

Minimized
Disclaimer
Thanks everyone for your feedback.  You can minimize the bar by clicking on the little grey arrow on the left side.  It will then just appear as that grey arrow over on the bottom left, like the attached screenshot.

MVP9596 said:   Thanks everyone for your feedback.  You can minimize the bar by clicking on the little grey arrow on the left side.  It will then just appear as that grey arrow over on the bottom left, like the attached screenshot.
  But then it just pops up next time we come to FW.

Maybe you don't want us to come to FW anymore???????

In my case, this had been dormant for quite a while (the grey arrow hasn't even been on the screen for some time).

Over the past few days, this has reappeared, fully open, each time I open a new FW window.

Connman said:   In my case, this had been dormant for quite a while (the grey arrow hasn't even been on the screen for some time).

Over the past few days, this has reappeared, fully open, each time I open a new FW window.

Ditto.

MVP9596 said:   Thanks everyone for your feedback.  You can minimize the bar by clicking on the little grey arrow on the left side.  It will then just appear as that grey arrow over on the bottom left, like the attached screenshot.
  Yeah ... that's still annoying.  Not unlike the single dead pixel that you never noticed before, but after someone points it out, it's all you ever see.

Still annoying us with every visit.
Make it go away FOR GOOD please!

It looks like it's back to normal for me (Woo hoo!)

Me too. TY FW for listening.

Hi! It's not so much listening (because we are), but rather those deals that are pretty hot, that we know have performed well in the past, so we're trying to highlight them from time to time on the site. The most recent one isn't showing up now because it's no longer running.

That's TERRIBLE news.

Even when I click on it it never goes away?

Well its back and I'm leaving!

Thanks for the feedback. It's clear we still have some fine-tuning to do with the DoD bar. It should stay shut after you minimalize it - as it does with me, even after I open another window or visit the site again. For those of you that are having trouble keeping the bar hidden, what browsers are you using?

Back again today.. Firefox browser.  Annoying as all hell

It popped up twice for me today, once on Chrome on my Galaxy S7 (recently upgraded to Nougat 7.0), and once on my Win 10/Chrome Desktop.  Both times, it looks like after I lowered it via the arrow, it is staying put.  Even though I used to be rid of the arrow altogether, it's staying on the screen, but at least it's (mostly) out of the way.

Dovetonsils said:   Back again today.. Firefox browser.  Annoying as all hell
  It stayed clear for me until I cleared some cookies on my machine. What about you, Dovetonsils? Is it staying down when you click the arrow on Firefox? 

At least put an X to close option. Until the next DOTD.

MVP9596 said:   Hi! It's not so much listening (because we are), but rather those deals that are pretty hot, that we know have performed well in the past, so we're trying to highlight them from time to time on the site. The most recent one isn't showing up now because it's no longer running.
You might be listening, but you are ignoring the problem. As a usability expert, I see this kind of thinking all the time and I've seen the "one size fits all users" mentality several times here over the years. This is a deals site. People come here to find deals. Not everyone comes here to find deals on everything under the sun, "hot" performer or not. Some people will embrace more "hot" deals being brought to their attention. Some set an alert and only look for one or two things. Others just lurk in FWF/OT, but let's not go there right now...

If you provide an opt-in/out system for your users for this sort of advertising, it will have a much greater positive effect on the site as a whole (and yes, that means that more people will actually look at the ads). As it is now, everyone you tick off with this kind of behavior will simply ignore everything that you try to advertise. People do not want forced popups/popovers, especially when they don't work as intended. And no, the gigantic arrow at the bottom corner of the screen when "minimized" is not good enough. Make a banner that can be closed or just get rid of it. The site is already overloaded with Hot Deals, Best Deals, Exclusive Deals, etc. You've taken it to the point where nothing is a deal, just another ad that gets ignored because it is overly intrusive.

Virgil27 said:   
Dovetonsils said:   Back again today.. Firefox browser.  Annoying as all hell
  It stayed clear for me until I cleared some cookies on my machine. What about you, Dovetonsils? Is it staying down when you click the arrow on Firefox? 

I clear cookies after every session with CCleaner.  It does stay down after clicking the arrow but still annoyed that I even need to do that.
NOBODY Likes Nagware.  

How do I get rid of it?

So we did a deep dive looking into this. This was mentioned above, and we can confirm if you do not clear your cookies it will stay gone when you click the arrow. If you clear your cookies it will come back.

To minimize it, just click the down arrow on the top left. . 

You will only see it again if we have another deal of the day. Please note these are not every day.

Haven't touched my cookies and it just came back - in the up and proud position...

I think the point is that if we minimize it once, we don't want to see it again - ever - unless we choose to bring it back up ... regardless of if there's a new DOTD or not.

Neilium said:   So we did a deep dive looking into this. This was mentioned above, and we can confirm if you do not clear your cookies it will stay gone when you click the arrow. If you clear your cookies it will come back.

To minimize it, just click the down arrow on the top left. . 

You will only see it again if we have another deal of the day. Please note these are not every day.

Please get rid of this NOW and don't do it again. I don't come here to deal with ads

Very annoying.  Chrome on Windows 7, it just won't stay gone!  Every page refresh it comes baaaaaaack

Back again TODAY. Why cant you just post it in Hot Deals (like it is anyway) and forget
the annoying popup. Again, NOBODY Likes Nagware!!!

The bar returned after being minimized earlier today. Same browser session, cookies not cleared/still active.

Skipping 3 Messages...
MVP9596 said:   

A couple users have reported earlier in the thread that this doesn't seem to stay minimized (for the day) once you minimize it.  Is this the same thing you're experiencing, or you just don't want to ever see it?

I don't want to see it EVER.  If I try to get rid of it, it comes back after I close the browser and open it again.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017