Some stores sell various gift cards to a variety of other stores, such as gas gift cards, restaurant gift cards, department/retailer gift cards, even travel (Travelocity gift cards), and they also allow payment to purchase those third party gift cards to be done with thier own gift cards. What I'm intersted in finding is a list of stores that allow you to buy these third party gift cards with the store's own gift cards. The reason I'm asking is that its often very hard to get decent discounts when buying gas gift cards (such as at eBay and other places), but its much easier to get discounts on big retailer gift cards to stores like Barnes and Noble, or Staples, or Giant Eagle and then use those discounted gift cards to buy many third party stores/gas/restaurants gift cards to spead out the discounted purchasing power.
Please post a follow up and update quick summary with stores that let you buy gift cards with gift cards, and those that don't. Please note the difference that some stores register's simply do not allow the transaction (like Kohls), and other stores is YMMV depending on your cashier (like Barnes and Noble).
Users like you can add images, links and other relevant information about this topic.
Jul. 16, 2016 @ 9:56a by AbnormalProphet
posted: Apr. 19, 2010 @ 3:13p
Most Recent Posts
Are you saying Circle K accepts BP gift cards??
wyle1 (Sep. 18, 2016 @ 3:25p)
In my area, all Circle Ks are cobranded with BP. The BP signs are smaller but the gas pumps are BP and the pumps accept ... (more)
smaycs4 (Sep. 18, 2016 @ 4:34p)
Target no longer allows you to buy gift cards with Target gift cards in the store. Not sure if the register still allows... (more)
kayoss (Sep. 19, 2016 @ 8:41p)
Stores that allow buying third-party gift cards with their own gift cards (in-store purchase) Updated 24 November 2014 - Please put verification next to updated line with date:
1. Barnes and Noble - Most clerks will deny your attempt, supposedly the system will allow you to redeem Barnes and Noble gift cards for some of the third-party gift cards they sell.
2. Sears - You can buy Sears /Kmart gift cards and pay with Sears /Kmart gift cards. They have many including Shell, Staples, Subway, Visa(up to $200.00 + 6.49 fee), AMEX(up to $100.00 + 5.49 fee), MasterCard(up to $100.00 + 5.49 fee) and more. Verified 16 July 2016 in Los Angeles by AbnormalProphet.
5. Kroger Stores are: Baker's Supermarkets, City Market, Dillons Food Stores, Fry's Food & Drug, Gerbes Super Markets, Harris Teeter, Jay C, King Soopers, Kroger, Owen's, Pay Less Super Markets, QFC, Ralphs, Scott's, Smith's, Fred Meyer, Food 4 Less, Foods Co., Ruler Foods, Dillons Marketplace, Fry's Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace, Kroger Marketplace, Smith's Marketplace, Fred Meyer Jewelers, Barclay Jewelers, Fox's Jewelers, Littman Jewelers, Kwik Shop, Loaf 'N Jug, Quik Stop, Smith's Express, Tom Thumb Food Stores, Turkey Hill Minit Markets - sell plenty of other stores' gift cards, you can buy any gift card including choose your amount visa cards up to $500.00. Kroger choices: Aeropostale, Amazon, Banana Republic /Gap/Old Navy, Barnes & Noble, Bass Pro Shops, bath and body works, Bebe, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Blockbuster, Build a Bear, Cabela 's, Claire's, eBay, ESPN. com, Foot Locker, GameStop, golfsmith, Home Depot, iTunes, JC Penney, Jiffy Lube, Joann, Kohl's, Land's End/Sears /Kmart, Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Marriott, Marshall's/TJMaxx/Homegoods, Michael's, Nordstrom, OfficeMax, Overstock, REI, Restaurants (Applebees, Carraba's, Chili's, IHOP, McDonalds, Olive Garden, Outback, Panera Bread, PF Chang's, Pizza Hut, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Subway, TGI Friday's), Shell, Staples, Southwest Airlines, Staples, Target, Toys R Us, Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover and more.
6. Safeway - Never had a problem buying third-party GCs with Safeway GCs.
7. Publix - Bought gas and AMEX GCs using a Publix GC Publix choices: Aeropostale, AMEX, Applebees, AT&T go card, Bahama Breeze, Banana Republic, Barnes and Noble, Bass Pro shops, bath and body works, bed bath and beyond, belk, best buy, bonefish grill, boost mobile, bp, chilis, macaroni grill, maggianos, busch gardens, cabellas, carrabbas, chevron, Texaco, club penguin, cold stone, cracker barrel, crispers, Disney, eBay, Foot Locker, GameStop, gap, golfsmith, pennytalk, itunes, jcpenneys Kohls, lands end, longhorn, maycs, marshals, Net 10 , nexon, Nike, nordstron, Old Navy, olive garden, outback, pfchangs,PacSun, publix, red lobster, ruby Tuesday, Sears, SeaWorld, shell, Sony, southwest, SpaFinder, starbucks, sti tgi Fridays, Talbots, Tj Maxx, cheesecake factory, home despot, Ticketmaster, tmoblile, toysrus , tracfone, universal, verizon, virgin, xbox and more.
8. Bestbuy - You can now by Amazon kindle giftcards at best buy with best buy gift cards. These kindle cards can be used for any purchases on Amazon (basically an Amazon giftcard). Great way to swap best buy gift cards from citicard, Chase, Discover or any other thank you network for something useful. Verified 16 July 2016 in Los Angeles by AbnormalProphet. Best Buy choices: Facebook, iTunes, Kindle, Napster, Playstation Network, Zune and more.
10. GameStop - You can buy any gift card with the GameStop gift card in store. Choices: Shell, BP, Taco Bell, Starbucks, iTunes, Android, etc. - (Needs Recent Verification) I was able to buy $500 of Amazon gift cards with GameStop gift card 12/15. Verified 16 July 2016 in Santa Monica, CA by AbnormalProphet.
11. Wal-Mart (In-Store Only): Sam's Club, and Murphy USA will all allow you to buy third-party gift cards with a Wal-Mart gift card. You cannot buy the variable amount Visa, AMEX or MasterCard gift cards with WalMart gift cards, only the fixed amount cards and some cashiers will stop you, despite POS allowing the transaction.
12. Toys"R"Us / Babies"R"Us (Purchases $100 or less do not require manager override.) - Amazon, Amazon Kindle, iTunes, restaurant cards (Burger King, Subway, Chili's, Olive Garden, Friday's, Ruby Tuesday, Pizza Hut, UNO, Outback, Dunkin Donuts, Cracker Barrel), AMC, Ticketmaster, Regal movies, Xbox, prepaid phone cards. Update 4/17/2015: Multiple reports that Toys R Us has started blocking gift card to gift card purchases. (This is a YMMV deal now. Tried 3 stores in NJ. First of all, they stopped carrying Amazon. com gift cards, which I believe was the biggest bang for the buck. They started to carry eBay gift cards, which is also very good. As far as buying GC with GC goes, I was successful in 2 and failed in 1. 1st store's cashier saw a message on the POS screen, didn't bother reading it and just clicked through. 2nd store's cashier said NO because the POS system now tells them "GC cannot be paid via GC". 3rd store's cashier said no, but when I asked if I can buy Toys R Us GC with Toys R Us GC just I can change the denominations, he said check with the customer service desk and the customer service desk cashier said she is not supposed to do it because the POS system tells them so, but she can try and see if it goes through. She tried, and it went through. I bought eBay and Home Depot gift cards. 7/29/15). 04/25/16 - TRU system would not let me buy even a $50 TRU/BRU GC with a TRU/BRU GC. Manager said override option removed. Did not try 3rd party GCs.
13. Target : 9/2014: Users report using Target to buy Wendy's and other restaurants, T-Mobile, iTunes, and Target. Terms on Target GC prohibit purchase of Visa/MC/Amex GC.
Stores that DO NOT allow buying third-party gift cards with their gift cards (system restricted, not cashier restricted):
1. Kohls - system will not allow payment by GC or merchandise credits, even when also buying merchandise in the same transaction with third-party gift cards, for any third-party gift cards they sell.
2. CVS - checkout system prohibits purchasing gift cards with CVS gift cards.
3. Home Depot - checkout system prohibits purchasing gift cards with HD gift cards.
4. Lowe's - checkout system prohibits purchasing gift cards with Lowe's gift cards.
5. JCPenney - No gift card purchase with JCP gift cards
If you are curious about a store and you have a gift card to that location, try it out and post on this forum, thanks in advance.
Click to copy code and go to .
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Senior Member - 3K
Apr. 19, 2010 @ 3:22p
posted: Apr. 19, 2010 @ 3:15p
Stores it is possible to buy third party gift cards with thier own gift cards: 1. Barnes and Noble - many clerks will deny your attempt, but last time I tried, the system did allow you to redeem Barnes and Noble gift cards for some of the third party gift cards they sell.
Stores that it is not allowed to buy third party gift cards with gift cards (system restricted, not cashier restricted): 1. Kohls - system will not allow payment my GC or merchandise credit, even when also buying merchandise, for third party gift cards they sell.
Buying 3rd party gift cards at Kroger is pretty good. I've only had problems once, when a manager got upset after noticing that I used Kroger GC's to buy 3rd party GC's. If you are in the Research Triangle, NC area, 3rd party gift card purchases will earn you 1% via Kroger Rewards. If you are outside that area, you can still earn Kroger fuel points for buying 3rd party gift cards.
Now, if someone finds that a 3rd party store for which Kroger sells gift cards to, also sells Kroger gift cards, one could theoretically keep looping purchases and rack up huge points...
centrifuge41 said: Buying 3rd party gift cards at Kroger is pretty good. I've only had problems once, when a manager got upset after noticing that I used Kroger GC's to buy 3rd party GC's. If you are in the Research Triangle, NC area, 3rd party gift card purchases will earn you 1% via Kroger Rewards. If you are outside that area, you can still earn Kroger fuel points for buying 3rd party gift cards.
Now, if someone finds that a 3rd party store for which Kroger sells gift cards to, also sells Kroger gift cards, one could theoretically keep looping purchases and rack up huge points...
How To Obtain and Use Rewards... Reward cards are not redeemable for OfficeMax brand gift cards and are not redeemable for cash unless otherwise required by law.
So the only exclusion is actual om brand GC and NOT other cards. Show this company policy to their nasty managers. I love to see these little 'big' men turn green and mutter 'ok this time' under their bad breath.
Certain cashiers at our local Walgreens give us a hard time, but the register does let it go through. Genaurdi's and Giant also let you do this. We buy giftcards for our school from Great Lakes Scrip, and a few people want other stores that we don't carry so they will buy Giant and then purchase toys r us GC's or whatever they need.
I know Office Max also sells gift cards but have not tried using an office max gift card to buy 3rd party gift cards. Staples has gift cards and then they have cash cards, still trying to figure out the difference. They also have Staples rewards that they give through their reward program but they are not valid to buy gift cards with. I have never had a problem using Albertsons or Ralphs gift cards to buy third party gift cards. WalMart also sells gift cards for some stores as well.
centrifuge41 said: Now, if someone finds that a 3rd party store for which Kroger sells gift cards to, also sells Kroger gift cards, one could theoretically keep looping purchases and rack up huge points...Each purchase is being paid for with a gift card. So after purchasing the initial gift card, you'll earn zero points no matter how much you churn.
Glitch99 said: centrifuge41 said: Now, if someone finds that a 3rd party store for which Kroger sells gift cards to, also sells Kroger gift cards, one could theoretically keep looping purchases and rack up huge points...Each purchase is being paid for with a gift card. So after purchasing the initial gift card, you'll earn zero points no matter how much you churn. Kroger doesn't give points when you buy 1st party Kroger gift cards. But they do give points if you buy 3rd party gift cards. So in theory, this could potentially work out, if Kroger sells Big Box B cards, and Big Box B sells Kroger cards.
I use gift cards as much as as I can. I save up to 20% on purchases.
My kid's school sells "script" which are gift cards or gift certificates for different merchants. You buy the cards at face value and the school makes a percentage ranging from 3% (WalMart) to 5%. They make up to 15% on some local merchants. They have stopped all other fund raisers because this is so successful.
We have a local grocer (Giant Eagle) that has a fuel perks program. For every $50 you spend in the store you get 10 cents off each gallon of gas, up to 30 gallons. If you buy the full 30 gallons every time that is a $3 discount for every $50 spent. Equates to 6% in free gas. They often have a promo where they give double perks. 20 cents off a gallon up to 30 gallons. 12% back in free gas. They sell a lot of different gift cards. They also have an online program that gives the 6% perks on purchases. Click through links like FW and others. I can buy giftcards on their site and get perks.
I buy the grocer's gift cards from the school and the school makes 4%. I then buy other merchants gifts cards at the grocer and get 12% (current promo).
If I buy at Staples it is like saving 12% on the purchase, I am going to buy the gas sooner or later anyways.
I buy Sears gift cards at the grocer and get my 12%, then I buy eBay gift cards at Sears. Using bing Cash Back at eBay to save 8%, and paying with eBay gift cards I am able to save a total 20% on the purchase price (12% on the shipping if charged seperate).
I buy things for people all the time and only charge what the item costs and I make 12% just for picking it up.
I just bought new Monroe struts for my van. Advance auto gets $213 each. I bought them on eBay for a final price of $128+ each after all my savings.
Couple of years ago we bought new fridge, washer & dryer from Sears. The school make $88 and I got $264 in free gas. Since my savings is in dollars and not gallons it doesn't matter except the cheaper it is the more I get for my money, as with anything.
wsbrinser said: I know Office Max also sells gift cards but have not tried using an office max gift card to buy 3rd party gift cards. Staples has gift cards and then they have cash cards, still trying to figure out the difference. They also have Staples rewards that they give through their reward program but they are not valid to buy gift cards with. I have never had a problem using Albertsons or Ralphs gift cards to buy third party gift cards. WalMart also sells gift cards for some stores as well.
I did this at Ralph's back when they had the tax refund incentive of 10% extra value on Ralph's GC. I had mixed results. The system lets you use Ralph's GCs to purchase 3rd party GC, but I sometimes had cashiers/manager stop the transaction. Found it was better to keep Ralph's GC out of site and just swipe it, and it also seemed to help if I was buying some groceries at the same time.
I had similar experiences at Albertson's, though the cashiers were more vigilant. The only times the cashiers let it go was when I'd add $50 in 3rd party GCs to a $100 grocery purchase.
violentkoala said: GameStop B&M stores allows you to purchase a giftcard with a giftcard.Do they sell third party gift cards? It doesn't help to buy GameStop gift cards with existing game stop gift cards .
KeyBored said: Certain cashiers at our local Walgreens give us a hard time, but the register does let it go through.Back when WG had their rebate program that went on gift cards, I used to buy Shell gift cards with the money from the WG cards. Their registers all have self-swipe terminals so in theory the cashier shouldn't even be involved in the payment unless they want to be a PITA about it.
i had different results at Staples, the system did not let the cashier process my ink coupon as pmt of the gift card. it looked to me like it (the software) excluded it. I am sure the cashier thought it could/would go through. this was with the feb ink.
Wads said: i had different results at Staples, the system did not let the cashier process my ink coupon as pmt of the gift card. it looked to me like it (the software) excluded it. I am sure the cashier thought it could/would go through. this was with the feb ink.The Staples rewards (ink coupon) is probably recognized by the system as a Staples gift card and it will not allow you to purchase Staples gift cards with Staples gift cards.
It is also possible that now the system won't allow any gift card payments for gift card purchases. My last successful purchase was last fall. They said the system would not allow it but it did. I had to beg them to let me do it and promised not to do it again.
MikeR397 said: violentkoala said: GameStop B&M stores allows you to purchase a giftcard with a giftcard.Do they sell third party gift cards? It doesn't help to buy GameStop gift cards with existing game stop gift cards .
yes they do, like wii point cards, itune & apple app cards and playstation network cards in addition to a few others I can't quite remember. I've only seen these at their b&m locations and not online
jimates said: Wads said: i had different results at Staples, the system did not let the cashier process my ink coupon as pmt of the gift card. it looked to me like it (the software) excluded it. I am sure the cashier thought it could/would go through. this was with the feb ink.The Staples rewards (ink coupon) is probably recognized by the system as a Staples gift card and it will not allow you to purchase Staples gift cards with Staples gift cards.More likely the system will not allow you to use a coupon to buy a gift card. Staples ink rewards are paid as a coupon, not a gift card. Maybe you're thinking of OD where the rewards ARE a gift card.
These days most of the stores are blocking any GC purchase with GC. But some stores still allow things like Transit card purchases with GC. In Chicago land area very recently after a GC promotion Jewel Osco stopped doing this as well.
Texas8 said: do all Sears sell eBay gift cards? I have not seen any sort of gift cards at Sears at 3 locations please helpKmart did sell them but I haven't seen any there in quite a while. Kmart gift cards have no restrictions listed on them. Kmart is still listed a seller of eBay cards on the eBay gift card page.
We have one of those local owned Sears in our town and they have some eBay cards. He said they just got the gift card display with the cards around Christmas and has no ides if more will come when these are gone. He and I both hope they get more.
I used to buy eBay cards direct from Giant Eagle but they discontinued them. Then I went to Staples until they restricted me. Then it was Kmart until they ran out. I didn't buy any eBay cards for a long time until my son spotted them at our local Sears dealer.
We made good money on eBay when the CashBack was at 30% & 40%. Buying eBay giftcards and turning them back into cash through eBay/PayPal and getting 30-40% back from bing.
Another mention, a few stores will allow you to pay your credit card payment with a gift card. JC Penney will tell you that they do not allow it, but if you present one to the clerk with your payment they will process it without a hitch.
JC Penney will. Home Depot will not. Fashion Bug will not.
Also check some of the schools in your area for different fundraiser cards. They usually sell them at the first of the school year. Athletics or Band depts usually.
When I was working in Marion Oh. the school there sold a card for $10 that had discounts from about 12 local merchants. One of the deals was a 10% savings for a mall gift certificate at the local mall. We would buy a $100 gift certificate for $90 at the mall office, and then go to Sears and make a $100 payment on our charge account with the certificate.
Locally we get cards from 3 different schools. One card has a great subway deal, one has a great burger king and dairy queen deal and the other has a good pizza hut deal. We save a lot over the course of a year with them.
Dairy Queen - 1 free med blizzard with purchase of same. 8 punches. $30 value. Burger King - free dbl chees with purchase of any value meal. Unlimited use. Pizza Hut - Free med. pizza with purchase of a large. Unlimited Subway - Buy a 6 inch, get a 6 inch for 99 cents. Unlimited Many other BOGOs like Aunti Anns, etc.
Burger king and pizza hut deals are not so hot with current promos.
moyip said: anyone has any experience to buy pathmark gift card with saving $$$...please let me know
Our local Pathmark caught on to our scrip buyers and doesn't allow us to buy giftcards unless paying cash or mac. Pathmark was bought out by SuperFresh and they have been really working over the management there.
I just thought of something else. When you pay for the gift cards use a credit card that pays rewards to get extra benefits. I use my PayPal debit card, which is the same as paying cash, and I get 1.5% back from PayPal for every gift card I buy.
Most only get 1% from PayPal but I have been with them from the start and it started at 1.5% and it didn't change for those already in the program when it went down to 1%.
Blockbuster seems to be cashier dependent. I've been able to purchase some in the past, but the last time I tried I was shot down. Blockbuster gift cards state on the back that they cannot be used to purchase other giftcards.
NoelaniKai said: I tried using a CVS giftcard to purchase a $19.99 Tracfone refill card and it would not process. The manager and cashier tried multiple ways but the system would not let it go through.
I second this experience. CVS is a no-go. Also good to know is that gift card purchases don't earn the 2% in extra care bucks that other purchases do.
Staples gift cards whilst they are not good for purchasing other store's gift cards are an excellent way to get a discount on forever stamps, which in turn is an excellent way to get a discount on shipping with the USPS.
Target no longer allows you to buy gift cards with Target gift cards in the store. Not sure if the register still allows it but went to three different targets and they said the same thing. All self checkouts were closed so couldn't try the purchase there. End of an era for sure.
Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.
Members of our community may attach files to a post in accordance with the User Agreement. FatWallet is not responsible for the content, accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any attached file. Files have *not* been scanned for viruses. Be especially wary of Excel files which may contain malicious content.
Earn Cash Back while you shop - just 3 simple steps.
1. Sign Up so we know who to pay! (It's FREE.)
2. Shop through FatWallet for deals from your favorite stores. Your online purchases earn Cash Back that builds in your FatWallet account.
3. Get Paid by requesting a payment via check or PayPal.
FatWallet coupons help you save more when shopping online. Use our Coupons Search to browse coupons and offers from thousands of stores, gathered into one convenient location.
As part of our FatWallet Community, you can share deals with almost a million shoppers in our forums. Forum content is generated by consumers for consumers. Share deals, money-saving tips, and more. It's FREE, fun, and addicting.
Our customer experience team is here around the clock - real people ready to assist.