• filter:

Where can you buy third party gift cards with store gift cards?

  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
neophyte said:   also remember BP cards are compatible with Arco 

not in all regions

rated:
neophyte said:   Bad news confirmed - ToysRUs put a hard block by register, message pops up, no overwrite
  Wish I saw your post before making a trip.  This thread is full of old information.  

rated:
Can a Best Buy GC be used on a Visa GC?

Thank you.

rated:
ajntorinj said:   Can a Best Buy GC be used on a Visa GC?

Thank you.
 

  Nope

rated:
jqsmooth said:   
neophyte said:   Bad news confirmed - ToysRUs put a hard block by register, message pops up, no overwrite
  Wish I saw your post before making a trip.  This thread is full of old information.  

  
It depends on folks keeping it up-to-date. If you have more current information, update the summary post!

rated:
Was unable to use a GameStop gift card to purchase a shell gas gift card at a San Diego GameStop location today.

rated:
•Physical Kroger GC- Only excludes Kroger Co. GCs.
•Online gift card mall (Kroger.com)- Excludes Kroger Co. GCs AND Visa, Mastercard, etc.. Prepaid GCs,
•Gift Card FAQ (Kroger.com)- "Use your Gift Card to purchase any merchandise in-store, as allowed by law, with the exception of Gift Cards.."
After calling multiple Kroger stores and customer service lines, I am still unsure. I guess I'll just have to go to the store and try it myself. Here's hoping!

EDIT: I went through self checkout and was able to purchase a Mastercard gift card with my Kroger Gift card! Yay! Now to try other gift cards..

rated:
Does Sears still sell Amazon GC?

rated:
tomprc said:   Does Sears still sell Amazon GC?
  yes.  If you do it, please let us know how it goes since it was reported earlier that you can't get GC and other merchandise in same transaction.

rated:
sethjvm said:   Was unable to use a GameStop gift card to purchase a shell gas gift card at a San Diego GameStop location today.
  whats the word on buying third party giftcard with GameStop gift card? it was working few months back in new jersey area. not sure if that is still the case.

rated:
mgupta001 said:   
sethjvm said:   Was unable to use a GameStop gift card to purchase a shell gas gift card at a San Diego GameStop location today.
  whats the word on buying third party giftcard with GameStop gift card? it was working few months back in new jersey area. not sure if that is still the case.

  The trouble with GameStop started in August this year, IIRC. And since then, there have been multiple reports of issues. I would say your chances are now iffy, at best.
Personal experience as of 2 days ago, I tried 3 different GameStop locations in FLorida. One outright refused, at the other two, the registers would not accept gift card as payment for restaurant gift cards.

rated:
Data point - Yesterday I was able to buy a $100 Amazon gift card using two $50 Sears e-gift cards in store.

Going to do it again as I still have two more AMEX $10 off of $50 Sears deals to use.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   tomprc said:   Does Sears still sell Amazon GC?
  yes.  If you do it, please let us know how it goes since it was reported earlier that you can't get GC and other merchandise in same transaction.


I got denied today by multiple cashiers. One of them even told me cash only. Not even Credit card.

Now I am stuck with $100 Sears GC.

rated:
johnnybs said:   Data point - Yesterday I was able to buy a $100 Amazon gift card using two $50 Sears e-gift cards in store.

Going to do it again as I still have two more AMEX $10 off of $50 Sears deals to use.


Location?

rated:
ajntorinj said:   Can a Best Buy GC be used on a Visa GC?

Thank you.

  i can't even find a best buy that sells visa gc

rated:
bxlefty23 said:   ajntorinj said:   Can a Best Buy GC be used on a Visa GC?

Thank you.

  i can't even find a best buy that sells visa gc


Same here!!

rated:
tomprc said:   johnnybs said:   Data point - Yesterday I was able to buy a $100 Amazon gift card using two $50 Sears e-gift cards in store.

Going to do it again as I still have two more AMEX $10 off of $50 Sears deals to use.


Location?


NC

rated:
tomprc said:   my4mainecoons said:   tomprc said:   Does Sears still sell Amazon GC?
  yes.  If you do it, please let us know how it goes since it was reported earlier that you can't get GC and other merchandise in same transaction.


I got denied today by multiple cashiers. One of them even told me cash only. Not even Credit card.

Now I am stuck with $100 Sears GC.


Interesting. The terms and conditions explicitly state that it is good for everything, except third party debit cards, which Amazon gift card is not.

rated:
Hey, I read way back in 2010 that you can purchase prepaid Visa GCs or Visa GCs with fixed amount at Wal-Mart using a Wal-Mart GC. Is that still possible? I was thinking of doing this through self-checkout so that I could avoid dealing with a cashier.

Thanks!
Julian

rated:
Any updates on Sears, WalMart, and/or Best Buy? I was hoping to buy some visa gift cards at WalMart, but wanted to see if there's any recent data points before I invested in WalMart gift card. Thanks everyone!

rated:
Isn't the Amex offer only good at Sears.com and not the store?   I did not credt the credit for the store purchase either.

rated:
ultrawildcard said:   Isn't the Amex offer only good at Sears. com and not the store?   I did not credt the credit for the store purchase either.
  yes only good at dot com and only for eGC

rated:
ultrawildcard said:   Isn't the Amex offer only good at Sears. com and not the store?   I did not credt the credit for the store purchase either.
Amex Sears.com offer:
"Get a one-time $10 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $50+ in one or more transactions online at Sears.com by 12/31/2016. See terms for exclusions."

You can buy new Sears e-GC or you can reload existing GC -- do not buy new physical GC (billed by Kmart)

I've reloaded 4x zero balance physical GCs (that were used up recently) with 4x separate Amex cards -- got 4x $10 credits without a problem

rated:
mandypthegreat said:   •Physical Kroger GC- Only excludes Kroger Co. GCs.
•Online gift card mall (Kroger.com)- Excludes Kroger Co. GCs AND Visa, Mastercard, etc.. Prepaid GCs,
•Gift Card FAQ (Kroger.com)- "Use your Gift Card to purchase any merchandise in-store, as allowed by law, with the exception of Gift Cards.."
After calling multiple Kroger stores and customer service lines, I am still unsure. I guess I'll just have to go to the store and try it myself. Here's hoping!

EDIT: I went through self checkout and was able to purchase a Mastercard gift card with my Kroger Gift card! Yay! Now to try other gift cards..

  
do you mean an actual kroger gift card (as in, the name on the gift card is Kroger?),  or a local supermarket at your area that is owned by kroger?

reason i asked is bc the other day i tried amex gc on my local kroger to purchase a vgc at SCO, but my attempt failed as it immediately ping for cashier's assistance
the cashier came over and saw me with agc, then say that is the reason
granted i used amex gc, and not kroger gc... but your finding is interesting.

however, i think i have succesfully used a few lower denomination vgc, to buy a higher denomination vgc, at kroger before.
but that is quite some time ago.


 

rated:
01/04/17 still working at 1 of my 2 local Kmart's.
at the one that doesn't work when the cashier puts in the gift card it says "Call Center" 1=OK 2=Cancel and when they hit "1" it asks for an authorization code. So I'm not sure what's up with that but my other store is working just fine.

rated:
I plan to make a wiki page of this type of information. I wanted to get thoughts on the layout. Below would be the 4 types of tables I'm proposing. I don't claim the information is accurate at all.

Main:
Store Store Type Card Type Money
Order
Prepaid
Debit
Reload
Packs Debit
Same Store
Physical GC
Same Store
E-Gift Card
3rd Party
GC
Comments
WalMart  B&M Physical N N N N N Y Examples:

  • Combine merchandise
  • $200 limit
  • Cashier refusal

WalMart  Online Physical N N N N N Y Examples:

  • Online system refusal
  • POS would not allow
  • Self-checkout did not work

WalMart  Online E-Gift N N N N N Y Examples:

  • Manager called
  • Manager approval required
  • 3rd party allowed except for.


Stores:
Store Transfer Account Balances Apply Physical
GC to Online
Account Balance
Apply E-Gift
Card to Online
Account Balance
Verification Website Verification Phone Comments
WalMart  N N N https://www.walmart.com/cservice  1-888-537-5503  

3rd Party Availability:
  To Amazon  Sears  Target  WalMart 
From          
Amazon    - N N N
Sears    N - N N
Target    N N - N
WalMart    N N N -

Gift Card Marketplaces:
Site Buy GC Direct Sell to Site Auctions Aggregation Site
/r/giftcardexchange/  N N N N
Gift Card Wiki  N N N Y
Gift Card Granny  N N N Y
Card Pool  Y Y N N
Raise  Y Y N N
Cardcash  Y Y N N

I hope to have some way to represent how this was verified and the city/state if applicable. Not sure if I'll have a community editable wiki or submission form type of interface. Ideally I just have a forum and monitor this page to make updates when possible and probe question to get accurate information.

Any thoughts on how best to present the information? What about a good wiki software you would recommend? I appreciate your input!

rated:
mrkito said:   
mandypthegreat said:   •Physical Kroger GC- Only excludes Kroger Co. GCs.
•Online gift card mall (Kroger.com)- Excludes Kroger Co. GCs AND Visa, Mastercard, etc.. Prepaid GCs,
•Gift Card FAQ (Kroger.com)- "Use your Gift Card to purchase any merchandise in-store, as allowed by law, with the exception of Gift Cards.."
After calling multiple Kroger stores and customer service lines, I am still unsure. I guess I'll just have to go to the store and try it myself. Here's hoping!

EDIT: I went through self checkout and was able to purchase a Mastercard gift card with my Kroger Gift card! Yay! Now to try other gift cards..

  
do you mean an actual kroger gift card (as in, the name on the gift card is Kroger?),  or a local supermarket at your area that is owned by kroger?

reason i asked is bc the other day i tried amex gc on my local kroger to purchase a vgc at SCO, but my attempt failed as it immediately ping for cashier's assistance
the cashier came over and saw me with agc, then say that is the reason
granted i used amex gc, and not kroger gc... but your finding is interesting.

however, i think i have succesfully used a few lower denomination vgc, to buy a higher denomination vgc, at kroger before.
but that is quite some time ago.


 

  I'm also curious about this.

I have a $50 Kroger GC and want to use it to get a Best Buy GC but I don't know if it will work. Do I need to go through regular checkout or can I do it on my own at self checkout?  

rated:
scottybweyy said:   I plan to make a wiki page of this type of information. I wanted to get thoughts on the layout. Below would be the 4 types of tables I'm proposing. I don't claim the information is accurate at all.

I hope to have some way to represent how this was verified and the city/state if applicable. Not sure if I'll have a community editable wiki or submission form type of interface. Ideally I just have a forum and monitor this page to make updates when possible and probe question to get accurate information.

Any thoughts on how best to present the information? What about a good wiki software you would recommend? I appreciate your input!

  Are you still moving forward on this? I think it's a great idea.  

rated:
There's a change to Kmart. Not only can you NOT buy a gift card with a gift card, you can't buy ANY gift card with anything other than cash. They don't accept debit or credit. I tried today at a Kmart in michigan.

rated:
skatardrummer said:   There's a change to Kmart. Not only can you NOT buy a gift card with a gift card, you can't buy ANY gift card with anything other than cash. They don't accept debit or credit. I tried today at a Kmart in michigan.
  A single experience at a single location is often not indicative of a company-wide change in policy.

rated:
I bought eBay GCs at Best Buy (in store) with a BB GC last year, but I thought I read somewhere that they no longer allow this.  Has anyone bought an eBay GC at their local BB with a BB gift card recently?  Thanks.
 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017