• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Well, I used it primarily for PL bookings, and for travel redemptions which kind of precludes monthly usage

I will probably get points back, but sadly not the card

rated:
Don't be so sure about getting back your points.
In a similar issue with the Chase AARP card ~4 years ago, many here on FW were closed without getting the opportunity to use our points.  Clearly, this was Chase's plan to cheat us. 

Some of us sued Chase in small claims court, others contacted Chase Executive office and CFPB, etc.  A few were successful, especially when Chase was sued.  The CFPB was mostly useless, just forwarding our complaints to Chase who told us tough luck. Very mixed results, even on small point losses!
There is an archived thread about it somewhere here.

rated:
Neophyte's description of use sounds WAY different compared to how people were using the AARP card. We're talking not only about two different financial institutions, but two different patterns of use. Using the AARP situation to try and draw any conclusion as to what will happen with neo's case is an absolute stretch.

rated:
Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases? I go on monthly vacations, I have booked 8 different air carriers, multiple hotels sites with one being Hotwire along with various travel related expense...I emailed barclays and they basically said to call each company and have them change the coding to travel. I tried delta who said it is coded travel...Ugh

rated:
NAG, I just had Delta cerdit with 10% bonus last month.

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases? I go on monthly vacations, I have booked 8 different air carriers, multiple hotels sites with one being Hotwire along with various travel related expense...I emailed barclays and they basically said to call each company and have them change the coding to travel. I tried delta who said it is coded travel...Ugh

Calling the companies is such a bogus excuse. How merchants code their business is an internal implementation detail that the customer should have no responsibility about. Right now, I have a prepaid (non-NYOP) Priceline hotel booking that is apparently not coded as travel (and not eligible to earn the 10% bonus) ! For god sakes.

In any event, Barclay's front line customer service is pretty awful. You can make some headway if you ask to be transferred to a account executive when you call in (who are the US based customer service who have slightly more competence). I suppose, if enough of us complain to the account executives, we might be able to effect change.

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases?
  It's not a discount. You get 10% points back after you redeem. Except NYOP and Express Deals purchases, you don't see a smaller number of points required before you redeem.

rated:
I agree. Barclay's website makes it pretty clear to see what is a travel charge. If it doesn't have a description that is one of the ones listed as qualified for 10%, then don't risk it.

As others mentioned, you only get the 10% refund after you redeem the charge.

Rasheed

rated:
novocane said:   
NutsAboutGolf said:   Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases? I go on monthly vacations, I have booked 8 different air carriers, multiple hotels sites with one being Hotwire along with various travel related expense...I emailed barclays and they basically said to call each company and have them change the coding to travel. I tried delta who said it is coded travel...Ugh

Calling the companies is such a bogus excuse. How merchants code their business is an internal implementation detail that the customer should have no responsibility about. Right now, I have a prepaid (non-NYOP) Priceline hotel booking that is apparently not coded as travel (and not eligible to earn the 10% bonus) !

Update: I got a response from Priceline customer support who honored the 1.5x redemption rate on Priceline bookings. Hopefully they updated their codings, so it doesn't need to go through CS next time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016