New priceline visa - with 2% rewards on purchases / 5% rewards on "Name your own price"

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Well, I used it primarily for PL bookings, and for travel redemptions which kind of precludes monthly usage

I will probably get points back, but sadly not the card

Don't be so sure about getting back your points.
In a similar issue with the Chase AARP card ~4 years ago, many here on FW were closed without getting the opportunity to use our points.  Clearly, this was Chase's plan to cheat us. 

Some of us sued Chase in small claims court, others contacted Chase Executive office and CFPB, etc.  A few were successful, especially when Chase was sued.  The CFPB was mostly useless, just forwarding our complaints to Chase who told us tough luck. Very mixed results, even on small point losses!
There is an archived thread about it somewhere here.

Neophyte's description of use sounds WAY different compared to how people were using the AARP card. We're talking not only about two different financial institutions, but two different patterns of use. Using the AARP situation to try and draw any conclusion as to what will happen with neo's case is an absolute stretch.

Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases? I go on monthly vacations, I have booked 8 different air carriers, multiple hotels sites with one being Hotwire along with various travel related expense...I emailed barclays and they basically said to call each company and have them change the coding to travel. I tried delta who said it is coded travel...Ugh

NAG, I just had Delta cerdit with 10% bonus last month.

NutsAboutGolf said:   Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases? I go on monthly vacations, I have booked 8 different air carriers, multiple hotels sites with one being Hotwire along with various travel related expense...I emailed barclays and they basically said to call each company and have them change the coding to travel. I tried delta who said it is coded travel...Ugh

Calling the companies is such a bogus excuse. How merchants code their business is an internal implementation detail that the customer should have no responsibility about. Right now, I have a prepaid (non-NYOP) Priceline hotel booking that is apparently not coded as travel (and not eligible to earn the 10% bonus) ! For god sakes.

In any event, Barclay's front line customer service is pretty awful. You can make some headway if you ask to be transferred to a account executive when you call in (who are the US based customer service who have slightly more competence). I suppose, if enough of us complain to the account executives, we might be able to effect change.

NutsAboutGolf said:   Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases?
  It's not a discount. You get 10% points back after you redeem. Except NYOP and Express Deals purchases, you don't see a smaller number of points required before you redeem.

I agree. Barclay's website makes it pretty clear to see what is a travel charge. If it doesn't have a description that is one of the ones listed as qualified for 10%, then don't risk it.

As others mentioned, you only get the 10% refund after you redeem the charge.

Rasheed

novocane said:   
NutsAboutGolf said:   Is anyone getting anything coded as travel where you get the 10% redemption discount other than Priceline purchases? I go on monthly vacations, I have booked 8 different air carriers, multiple hotels sites with one being Hotwire along with various travel related expense...I emailed barclays and they basically said to call each company and have them change the coding to travel. I tried delta who said it is coded travel...Ugh

Calling the companies is such a bogus excuse. How merchants code their business is an internal implementation detail that the customer should have no responsibility about. Right now, I have a prepaid (non-NYOP) Priceline hotel booking that is apparently not coded as travel (and not eligible to earn the 10% bonus) !

Update: I got a response from Priceline customer support who honored the 1.5x redemption rate on Priceline bookings. Hopefully they updated their codings, so it doesn't need to go through CS next time.

Check Your Emails Possibly Targeted New Offer (New Bonus, Activation Required Unique Link)

Earn 2X bonus points on qualified purchases.

1. Use your Priceline rewards Visa® Card between 10/1/16 — 12/31/16 at: Grocery Stores. Restaurants. Department, Toy & Game Stores.
2. Earn 2X bonus points for every $1 spent, up to 2,500 points.
3. Celebrate two times. Your 2X bonus points are in addition to the points you already earn!

ACTIVATE THIS LIMITED-TIME OFFER BY 11/30/16.

---

Looks like a good bonus,
Can boost your next $1250 in category spending from its original 2.22% up to 4.44%

If your redeeming for a NYOP booking should stack to give you at least 6.66% value

I haven't received one of these offers in a good year or more now. Not sure why they stopped so suddenly...?

They were sent via email and postal mail.  Make sure you are turned on to receive marketing and solicitations from Barclaycard US via both postal and email in your privacy settings otherwise no-go.

Also, if you spend is also already super high, they may have passed you by.

Rasheed

rasheedb said:   Also, if you spend is also already super high, they may have passed you by.

I think that's my issue.  Spent into 6 figures during several billing cycles (50K line).

DaveHanson said:   rasheedb said:   Also, if you spend is also already super high, they may have passed you by.

I think that's my issue.  Spent into 6 figures during several billing cycles (50K line).

Yeah. I have been cautious to spread more of my spending across category cards that have 3 to 5 percent rewards to avoid using this card too heavily.

Rasheed

FYI, I bought some Avios miles on ba.com to keep my current miles from expiring and I did not get the 10% travel bonus applied when redeeming points.

Well, what was the merchant description on the charge (not the name of the merchant)?  There was no need to be surprised by this aspect.  If it is not a clear MCC that is covered, you could have avoided the redemption.  Barclaycard US makes it very easy to see that detail.

Rasheed

rasheedb said:   Well, what was the merchant description on the charge (not the name of the merchant)?  There was no need to be surprised by this aspect.  If it is not a clear MCC that is covered, you could have avoided the redemption.  Barclaycard US makes it very easy to see that detail.

Rasheed

Yes, you are correct......
MERCHANT CATEGORY: BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

Lesson learned....Just because you buy something on an airline's website doesn't mean it will code as travel. 

bbr said:   
rasheedb said:   Well, what was the merchant description on the charge (not the name of the merchant)?  There was no need to be surprised by this aspect.  If it is not a clear MCC that is covered, you could have avoided the redemption.  Barclaycard US makes it very easy to see that detail.

Rasheed

Yes, you are correct......

MERCHANT CATEGORY: BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

Lesson learned....Just because you buy something on an airline's website doesn't mean it will code as travel. 

Most airlines and hotels don't process the transaction themselves when you buy points.  Instead, points.com is the actual seller, so those purchases won't count as travel/airfare.  This OMAAT post says American, Avianca, British, and Delta are the airlines that do process their own transactions, so I was a bit surprised to see you report that a BA Avios purchase did not count as airline spend.  However, a commenter on that same post says that their experience is that BA seems to be using points.com, so the body of the post could be incorrect on the case of BA.  It seems your data point favors the commenter.

rlaw said:   Check Your Emails Possibly Targeted New Offer (New Bonus, Activation Required Unique Link)

Earn 2X bonus points on qualified purchases.

1. Use your Priceline rewards Visa® Card between 10/1/16 — 12/31/16 at: Grocery Stores. Restaurants. Department, Toy & Game Stores.
2. Earn 2X bonus points for every $1 spent, up to 2,500 points.
3. Celebrate two times. Your 2X bonus points are in addition to the points you already earn!

ACTIVATE THIS LIMITED-TIME OFFER BY 11/30/16.

---

Looks like a good bonus,
Can boost your next $1250 in category spending from its original 2.22% up to 4.44%

If your redeeming for a NYOP booking should stack to give you at least 6.66% value

Been using this card for my everyday spend, ~2k a month. Also got this email...it slipped by the first time on Sept 29. Saw a reminder email this morning and checked FW to also see I wasn't tripping...so this means 4% at restaurants?? I'm wondering if it's retroactive to october, but I'm sure I'll be burning through the $1250 limit by end of year.

I've never known NYOP also gives you the bonus, I never saw it explicitly stated so I've always booked the express deals just to make sure. Good to know I can also play with NYOP now too! This card is crazy underrated. Sadly Once my Chase reserve comes in, I'll probably be replacing this card with that..

rlaw said:    This card is crazy underrated. Sadly Once my Chase reserve comes in, I'll probably be replacing this card with that..

Why not use CSR for all dining and (non-PL NYOP) travel?  Then use your PL card for the rest.

Just make sure to post $300 in travel expenses to CSR by 12/31 to max out that credit.  This is easily done, since virtually anything travel related (even parking) triggers it.

Got this targeted offer back on 12/22/16:

Earn 2X bonus points on qualifying purchases, up to 2,500 points.

1. Use your Priceline rewards Visa® Card between 1/1/17 – 3/31/17 at: Gas Stations. Utilities. Restaurants.
2. Earn 2X bonus points for every $1 spent, up to 2,500 points.¹
3. Remember, your 2X bonus points are in addition to the points you already earn for using your card!

ACTIVATE THIS LIMITED-TIME OFFER BY 2/28/17.

Hmm, good to know. Hopefully, I'll get something too.

I saw a express deal for rental cards on PL for the first time tonight.

I assume those have been posting like NYOP bids on this card, just as hotels do?

They updated their web site and I don't see anything related about points right now. Am I blind? I cannot use my points, or even see how many points I have.

oko said:   They updated their web site and I don't see anything related about points right now. Am I blind? I cannot use my points, or even see how many points I have.
  Same for me. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm guessing their update didn't go as planned.

Same here, I cannot see or redeem rewards on the website at all now.

I also cannot download transactions at all either, there's no longer any option to do that on the website. 

Anyone know what's up?

This is just intermittent; perhaps due to some maintenance in the background.
It was not showing up yesterday morning, things were looking fine yesterday might and the rewards info. is not showing up again this morning. You might also see that the "available credit" is rounded.

These things happen (or have happened) occasionally and nothing to get concerned.

fwuser12 said:   This is just intermittent; perhaps due to some maintenance in the background.
It was not showing up yesterday morning, things were looking fine yesterday might and the rewards info. is not showing up again this morning. You might also see that the "available credit" is rounded.

These things happen (or have happened) occasionally and nothing to get concerned.

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep checking back on the website. Very strange however. 

Yeah I think something's busted. The mobile app doesn't work at all, and the rewards.barclaycardus.com site just redirects to the parent site. Just give it a bit of time.

phototristan said:   Same here, I cannot see or redeem rewards on the website at all now.

I also cannot download transactions at all either, there's no longer any option to do that on the website. 

Anyone know what's up?

After logging in try this link.  It worked for me to redeem this morning when the main page was jacked up.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/Rewards.action

dl73 said:   
phototristan said:   Same here, I cannot see or redeem rewards on the website at all now.

Anyone know what's up?

After logging in try this link.  It worked for me to redeem this morning when the main page was jacked up.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/Rewards.action

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Working fine for me, logging in at pricelinerewardsvisa.com and redirecting to the barclaycardus.com site.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017