This is my first "deal" post in the Finance forum so please be gentle.
Was talking to a Discover rep today and inquired about any extra cash-back promotions. She mentioned on St. Patrick's day, March 17 Discover will offer 2% Cash Back on all purchases. This is in addition to the quarterly promo so if you buy gas on that date you'll receive %7 cash-back instead of 5%. I was told that I was "signed up" for this promo so I assume you have to call in and have it added on in order to get the extra cb.
Users like you can add images, links and other relevant information about this topic.
posted: Mar. 6, 2012 @ 10:29a
Additional 2% CashBack Rewards on your DiscoverCard when you sign up in advance for the promotion and use your DiscoverCard for almost any spending on St Patrick's Day. March 17th, 2012. Many people got targeted emails. Some have contacted Discovercard and been successful being included.
This is on top of the current quarterly 5% CashBack rewards at Gas Stations, Museums and Movie Theaters.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
posted: Mar. 6, 2012 @ 10:36a
What number did you call?
posted: Mar. 6, 2012 @ 11:19a
Senior Member - 1K
posted: Mar. 6, 2012 @ 5:44p
I just called and asked about this promotion and how I could sign up for it. The CSR said yea I can sign you up for it and did then said I'll get 2% cb on all purchases I make on the 17th. Thanks op!
posted: Mar. 7, 2012 @ 3:18p
I gave you green for St. Patty's Day.
Senior Member - 6K
posted: Mar. 8, 2012 @ 6:18p
From Discover Card Customer Service
Thank you for your message about our new St. Patrick's Day Double CashBack Bonus promotion. This is a great way to maximize your CashBack Bonus, and I will be happy to provide you more information about it!
I have enrolled your account into the St. Patrick's Day Double CashBack Bonus promotion. This will allow you to receive Double (a full 2%) CashBack Bonus on purchases made with your Discover Card at any merchant, including warehouse clubs and discount stores.
This promotion applies to purchases made on March 16 and 17, 2011, and there is no purchase cap. You will continue to earn the standard CashBack Bonus for these purchases, along with any additional CashBack Bonus, including those offered through ShopDiscover.
We strive to be the most rewarding relationship consumers and businesses have with a financial services company. Thank you for choosing to use Discover Card. Happy St. Patty's Day!
We appreciate your feedback. Please Click Here to complete a short survey on your customer service experience today.
DISCOVER, CashBack BONUS and the other trademarks, logos and service marks used in this e-mail are the trademarks of Discover Financial Services or their respective third-party owners.
------- Original Message -------- Date : Mar 08, 02012 04:37 PM Subject : Re: General Rewards Questions
Hi, I would like to sign up for the St. Patrick's day, March 17 extra 2% Cash Back on all purchases promotion.
Senior Member - 2K
posted: Mar. 9, 2012 @ 12:31p
This could be useful when combined with the ability to make some utility payments via Discover cards.
In most cases even if you go to the trouble to schedule payments for St. Patrick's Day, your reward percentage will be only equal o or less than what you may get in others ways (especially if you have 2% card).
I confirmed from ChargeSmart that the offer is still available (there is a thread on this).
Since it is hard to to charge most utilities without extra fees, the Discover option is valuable. If you have a CITI Dividend card you may get 5% back, but this will often mean paying a fee., which on small payments may negate the rebate.
It may even pay you to prepay some utility bills to benefit from this doubling.
Unlike shopping, where scheduling trips for the extra rebate may not be worth it, bill payments can be done from the home computer (a calendar notation may be useful to assist in remembering).
"Hello, Thank you for your E-mail.
Yes, we are still offering an instant rebate on Discover utilities payments. Please follow this link and click on the Make a Payment link on the right side of the page:
ProfessorEd said: This could be useful when combined with the ability to make some utility payments via Discover cards.Have you determined how the transaction date relates to the date (and perhaps time) of submitting the Charge Smart payment request?
Senior Member - 2K
posted: Mar. 10, 2012 @ 3:54p
Thanks OP and Vickh !! I just dropped DiscoverCard an email from my account to ask for my account to be included. I did the same for Mom's account.
The similar Valentine 2% promo was honored based on purchase date. The gas purchases posted the next day and received both the 5% and 2%. I should know the answer to both questions in a few days and will update this posting. UPDATE: We got the same response as vickh by account message. March 12 - Discover emailed my less used account with the offer. As of March 13, Mom has not received the offer email, but is covered by the account message suggested by vickh.
posted: Mar. 11, 2012 @ 7:59a
vickh said: This promotion applies to purchases made on March 16 and 17, 2011, and there is no purchase cap.Your Jennifer is more generous than my Mildred, who has the advantage of not being a year behind:...only good on March 17, 2012.
Duct Tape Rules
posted: Mar. 11, 2012 @ 8:40a
I've preordered the iPad 3, but I may cancel and reorder on the 17th for the extra $10. I was able to sign up via live chat.
Senior Member - 2K
posted: Mar. 11, 2012 @ 12:26p
Discover called me yesterday to tell me about this promotion. But when I told the rep that I planned to use my 5% Visa card on the 17th, he said he'd throw in an extra $5 CashBack if I used my Discover card instead. I said, "Sure, why not."
The moral of the story: never jump at the first offer.
Senior Member - 1K
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 6:11a
Pondus said: ProfessorEd said: This could be useful when combined with the ability to make some utility payments via Discover cards.Have you determined how the transaction date relates to the date (and perhaps time) of submitting the Charge Smart payment request?I made a utility payment through ChargeSmart a few minutes ago, and Discover's website shows a pending charge with today (Saturday 3/17/2012) as the transaction date, so I think it's likely that I'll get the 2% (I don't know for sure what it'll say when it actually posts, but I'm guessing it'll have the same transaction date as the pending transaction).
(For the Delivery Date to the utility though, ChargeSmart says 3/19-3/22, but that doesn't matter to me.)
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 7:07a
So, if I go to the movies today will I get 2% or 7%?
Senior Member - 2K
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 9:35a
For the Valentine's day promotion like this, my purchases were on the qualifying day, but posted the next day. Discovercard still paid the extra 2%. So Transaction day controls for the 2% promotion. ========================================================== Movies will be the extra 2% and 5% separately. Total rebate will be 7%.
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 10:12a
JW said: For the Valentine's day promotion like this, my purchases were on the qualifying day, but posted the next day. Discovercard still paid the extra 2%. So Transaction day controls for the 2% promotion. ========================================================== Movies will be the extra 2% and 5% separately. Total rebate will be 7%.
Thanks. Does Fandango count for movies? I believe Shop Discover is offering 20% off for them.
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 10:49a
Awesome time to go buy some gas with my discover card.
Senior Member - 6K
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 2:24p
A CSR told me that ShopDiscover purchases will also earn the extra 2% Cash Back.
posted: Mar. 17, 2012 @ 3:49p
glxpass said: A CSR told me that ShopDiscover purchases will also earn the extra 2% Cash Back.
I went ahead and bought a Fandango GC today via ShopDiscover (they are 10%, not 20%). We'll see...
Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.
Members of our community may attach files to a post in accordance with the User Agreement. FatWallet is not responsible for the content, accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any attached file. Files have *not* been scanned for viruses. Be especially wary of Excel files which may contain malicious content.
Earn Cash Back while you shop - just 3 simple steps.
1. Sign Up so we know who to pay! (It's FREE.)
2. Shop through FatWallet for deals from your favorite stores. Your online purchases earn Cash Back that builds in your FatWallet account.
3. Get Paid by requesting a payment via check or PayPal.
FatWallet coupons help you save more when shopping online. Use our Coupons Search to browse coupons and offers from thousands of stores, gathered into one convenient location.
As part of our FatWallet Community, you can share deals with almost a million shoppers in our forums. Forum content is generated by consumers for consumers. Share deals, money-saving tips, and more. It's FREE, fun, and addicting.
Our customer experience team is here around the clock - real people ready to assist.