Name change on title of mortgaged property

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
I officially changed my name and have the court order. I requested my home mortgage lender to change my name in mortgage. However, I received a letter asking for a copy of recorded deed reflecting Name change on title of mortgaged property. I understand I need the assistance of local title insurance company. Should I pick anyone or choose the title company that I used during my home purchase?

Any idea how much would it cost in Dallas/TX?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting Join for free to remove this ad.

Did they say why you need the help of a local title insurance company?
I would be quite surprised if you could not do this yourself. You need to do this at the county level, at the County Recorders Office. They may have required forms or you may be required to type a document from scratch. All recorded documents from the past should be available to you, as they are public documents. Thus, you could easily find similar paperwork that someone did in the past, and just change the names/property descriptions. At the County Recorders office, there might be employees there that can walk you through the process. However, I heard there are no taxes in Texas, so perhaps you can't expect any help from someone in the recorder's office.

Hope this helps.

I wouldnt bother, whenever you sell, you can just provide your document and sign one of those also known as affidavits/statement. Id caution you, as you may need to pay for tax stamps or state fees (more than just recording) if you do a new deed.

I'm in the same position. The recording fees are high in my parish, so I'm going to just keep the old name on the deed.

You could this when you are refinancing.
Seller had given me a free alphabet in my name and it cost me $100 to correct it when refinancing.
That way could avoid the costly recording fees(NJ).

Wow. Dallas county recording fees are cheap. It's $325 plus something per page where I live. I'm assuming you either just record the name change so the title companies see it in futures searches, or you record a document quitclaiming it to yourself. You might need help with this one. Why not call a local title company and ask?


Do we have a real estate attorney or title company guru in the house? Might be nice to have a definitive answer to this one for the archives.

Did your old name mark you as a ferriner?

No. Got married and wanted to take my partner's name.

Isn't that what QuitClaim deed is for?

Maybe. But can you quitclaim something to yourself?

joejoesan said:   Isn't that what QuitClaim deed is for?

Quit Claim Deed is a not recognized manner of ownership or title transfer in the State of Texas.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to

Thanks for visiting Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017