• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   I took the plunge and opened the ME account. Just set up the security transfers which will likely take effect in the new year. Looking forward to my $1,000 bonus. I likely wont qualify for the premier free trades because I don't like having so much cash earning nothing. Which means I may later move it out to E*trade where most of my assets are, or back to Vanguard where I can continue to acquire Vanguard ETFs commission free.

You dont need to keep cash, securities would do at merrill.

Any idea if teh ameritrade bonuses are churnable?

rated:
libralibra said:   ps. found a TD link (Offer Code 277) https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html which gives 1000 for 250k
  Looks like that offer is good until 3/31/2017. 

The terms state that the funds have to remain for 12 months. Has anyone had their bonus clawed back by transferring their money sooner?
Are you eligible for this offer more than once? How often? 

rated:
TD Ameritrade bonus: one per customer for life, even if account holder got anything from acquired companies it swallowed up. Reneged on me after promised bonus amount deemed ineligible. It also put in an extra share of an equity that I did not purchase, then fined me $100 for trying to sell the share after refusing to cancel the mysterious share. BEWARE.

rated:
smarteconomist1 said:   TD Ameritrade bonus: one per customer for life, even if account holder got anything from acquired companies it swallowed up. Reneged on me after promised bonus amount deemed ineligible. It also put in an extra share of an equity that I did not purchase, then fined me $100 for trying to sell the share after refusing to cancel the mysterious share. BEWARE.

You can probably at least get some free trades from them.  A few years ago I asked them if they had any offers to keep me from switching to a competitor; they said since I only traded a couple times in the last year there wasn't much they could do, but they gave me 5 free trades.  Maybe you can negotiate for more if you trade more or if you say you'll deposit a certain amount.

rated:
smarteconomist1 said:   TD Ameritrade bonus: one per customer for life, even if account holder got anything from acquired companies it swallowed up. Reneged on me after promised bonus amount deemed ineligible. It also put in an extra share of an equity that I did not purchase, then fined me $100 for trying to sell the share after refusing to cancel the mysterious share. BEWARE.

Do you have a link to that policy?
I read the terms and conditions and I did not see it. They say new accounts but you could close an account and then open a new one later.
"Earl Lemongrab" on the bogleheads thread says he has churned TDAmeritrade four times.
Bogleheads post 

rated:
Onenote said:   

Do you have a link to that policy?
I read the terms and conditions and I did not see it. They say new accounts but you could close an account and then open a new one later.
"Earl Lemongrab" on the bogleheads thread says he has churned TDAmeritrade four times.
Bogleheads post 

Yup, same here, just re-opened my fourth or fifth TDA account myself for bonuses. A few were IRAs, others cash accounts. Can even hold two account types simultaneously, much like Merrill, for bonuses for both. I've held them all for the full terms, so never tried withdrawing/transferring out sooner.

I have a great local rep who helps me with any snafus -- transform form miscues, or incorrect amount credited for bonuses -- so it's easy for me to check in with that nearby TDA office.

rated:
Has anyone been able to negotiate down the margin interest rate (to InteractiveBrokers level) when chatting with any of the reps during signing on with a large account transfer? (>500k)

rated:
I have to convert my old 401K (currently at Fidelity NetBenefits) to Rollover IRA. Looks like Get up to $2500 Fidelity offer will not work due to following clause: "Rollovers from a former employer's Fidelity-record kept workplace savings plan are not eligible for this offer". Their loss!

Unfortunately looks like Merrill Edge $1000 offer has ended. Is the current best offer the TD Ameritrade $1000?

I have never converted to Rollover IRA before. Do Rollover IRAs normally support in kind transfer? My position is a Fidelity mutual fund S&P 500 (FUSVX). Will i be able to keep it or is it better to sell before initiating rollover to avoid fees and buy similar fund (or ETF) later?

rated:
Powza said:   I have to convert my old 401K (currently at Fidelity NetBenefits) to Rollover IRA. Looks like https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/depositbonus will not work due to following clause: "Rollovers from a former employer's Fidelity-record kept workplace savings plan are not eligible for this offer". Their loss!

Unfortunately looks like Merrill Edge $1000 offer has ended. Is the current best offer the https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html

I have never converted to Rollover IRA before. Do Rollover IRAs normally support in kind transfer? My position is a Fidelity mutual fund S&P 500 (FUSVX). Will i be able to keep it or is it better to sell before initiating rollover to avoid fees and buy similar fund (or ETF) later?

Whether you can transfer FUSVX in-kind depends on the broker (rather than the type of account being a Rollover IRA). Ask the broker before you start the transfer. If you don't mind being out of the market a few days, it would be better to sell and buy an ETF at TDA (they have many no-fee ETFs and am certain there is something for the SP500 index).

ETA: IVV and IVE are no-transaction-fee at TDA. Of course, you could use your free trades (first 90 days) to purchase other ETFs tracking SP500.

1k for 250k is about the best I have sen at TDA in recent past. Since you are looking at the 2.5k Fidelity offer, I take it that you have over a million to transfer. You could try opening two separate Rollover IRAs at TDA (spread it be several days), transferring 250k into each.

rated:
I incorrectly believed that the securities did not count toward the balance needed to qualify for the reward tiers at Merrill Edge. I thought you needed to have a cash balance.

rated:
LeveragedSpeculator said:   
DavidScubadiver said:   I took the plunge and opened the ME account. Just set up the security transfers which will likely take effect in the new year. Looking forward to my $1,000 bonus. I likely wont qualify for the premier free trades because I don't like having so much cash earning nothing. Which means I may later move it out to E*trade where most of my assets are, or back to Vanguard where I can continue to acquire Vanguard ETFs commission free.

If you're paying for trades at Merrill Edge after transferring 200k+ there you're doing it wrong.  Although you lose 70 of those 100 free trades if you transfer 250k+. Just don't buy fractional shares or they take a 10% commission cut on that fractional share.  Other than that great broker.

There's no beating BofA Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors + Merrill Edge in terms of credit card cashback as well.  I suggest getting Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards + AAA card.  What's not to like about 5.25% on gas, 3.75% on travel, 3.5% on groceries & 2.625% on general spend on everything else?  Thought you of all people would be on top of this already Dave.

I have been complacent with my Priceline, PenFed and Blue Preferred for 2% general, 5% gas and 6% (4.4% now, after the increased annual fee) for groceries.   Now that I learned that I didn't need a cash balance for the platinum honors, I am just waiting for the average balance to get me to the threshhold for the 75% bonus.  But, I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting.  

The cash rewards card will net me 5.25 on gas and 3.5% on groceries (groceries will be after I charge $6,000 on my blue preferred card)
The Travel rewards card will net me 2.625% if I redeem my rewards for travel.
But, what AAA card are you suggesting and how do you get 3.75% on travel, on top of the travel rewards card?  

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   
LeveragedSpeculator said:   

If you're paying for trades at Merrill Edge after transferring 200k+ there you're doing it wrong.  Although you lose 70 of those 100 free trades if you transfer 250k+. Just don't buy fractional shares or they take a 10% commission cut on that fractional share.  Other than that great broker.

There's no beating BofA Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors + Merrill Edge in terms of credit card cashback as well.  I suggest getting Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards + AAA card.  What's not to like about 5.25% on gas, 3.75% on travel, 3.5% on groceries & 2.625% on general spend on everything else?  Thought you of all people would be on top of this already Dave.

I have been complacent with my Priceline, PenFed and Blue Preferred for 2% general, 5% gas and 6% (4.4% now, after the increased annual fee) for groceries.   Now that I learned that I didn't need a cash balance for the platinum honors, I am just waiting for the average balance to get me to the threshhold for the 75% bonus.  But, I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting.  

The cash rewards card will net me 5.25 on gas and 3.5% on groceries (groceries will be after I charge $6,000 on my blue preferred card)
The Travel rewards card will net me 2.625% if I redeem my rewards for travel.
But, what AAA card are you suggesting and how do you get 3.75% on travel, on top of the travel rewards card?  

Its not on top of the travel rewards card it's instead of. For AAA card, you get a 75% bonus for Preferred Rewards Platinum on the base point of spend, so +.75% to each of those bonus categories: Travel: 3.75%, Drug Stores: 2.75% (gas & grocery at this rate too but eclipsed by Cash Rewards bonuses for these two categories). And on travel it includes things like toll roads too. Travel rewards card is more for general spend as you can transfer those points over to this AAA card then redeem for cash once you have $50 worth.  Travel Rewards card with Platinum Honors = 2.625% cashback on general spend.

rated:
Ah, I see. Book the travel stuff on the AAA card, charge everything else on Travel rewards card and then transfer the points to the AAA card to redeem against Travel?
(The travel rewards card only offers 1.5 points per dollar spent -- it does not offer 2.625% unless redeemed for travel -- so you really have to transfer the points to the travel card to have them be worth anything, and they would be worth 3.75 according tot he above). Is that right?

I did not know you could transfer points between cards. If that is possible, can you earn 2 points on the grocery purchase and transfer them over to the AAA card and have them worth 3.75 if redeemed for travel?

Apologies, this is all very confusing given that some cards allow you to earn more points for different categories and others only allow you a bonus for redeeming the points in certain categories.

rated:
Plus, I don't see a AAA card at bank of america. Do you have to get it through AAA and is it easy to transfer points from one BOA card to the other?

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   Ah, I see. Book the travel stuff on the AAA card, charge everything else on Travel rewards card and then transfer the points to the AAA card to redeem against Travel?
(The travel rewards card only offers 1.5 points per dollar spent -- it does not offer 2.625% unless redeemed for travel -- so you really have to transfer the points to the travel card to have them be worth anything, and they would be worth 3.75 according tot he above). Is that right?

I did not know you could transfer points between cards. If that is possible, can you earn 2 points on the grocery purchase and transfer them over to the AAA card and have them worth 3.75 if redeemed for travel?

Apologies, this is all very confusing given that some cards allow you to earn more points for different categories and others only allow you a bonus for redeeming the points in certain categories.

Half right.  So there are three BofA cards worth getting with Preferred Platinum, but think of them as two categories: 1) Points cards (Travel Rewards & AAA) & 2) Cash-back cards (Cash Rewards).  Those can't be switched between.  The points on Travel Rewards & AAA can be transferred back & forth.  Used to be you could also do this with Fidelity Amex before Elan took over but no more.

• Cash rewards card earns the bonus on redemption into a BofA checking account, not at the time of purchase.
  • Points cards earn the bonus at the time of purchase.  The only reason to transfer them is to get around the restriction on Travel Rewards points that those must be used for travel to get max bonus--if you transfer to AAA you circumvent this restriction.

As far as AAA card it's no longer on the BofA site but people have said on here it is available through other partners or AAA perhaps, not sure.

rated:
Powza said:   I have to convert my old 401K (currently at Fidelity NetBenefits) to Rollover IRA. Looks like https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/depositbonus will not work due to following clause: "Rollovers from a former employer's Fidelity-record kept workplace savings plan are not eligible for this offer". Their loss!

Unfortunately looks like Merrill Edge $1000 offer has ended. Is the current best offer the https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/for90days/index.html?

E*Trade has a similar offer.  Send your RolloverIRA over to E*trade until minimum hold period is met then roll it over to Fido to take advantage of Fido offer.

rated:
I signed up for the TD Ameritrade offer more than 90 days ago, so no more free trades. Anybody have success trying to contact them and ask for more free trades?

rated:
Merrill Edge IRA for Preferred Rewards Clients has offer: As a Preferred Rewards client, you can get 50% more than the standard offer. Just transfer your IRA to a new Merrill Edge IRA by April 18, 2017, and they'll credit up to $900 into your new account once you've qualified. Must provide offer code.
$20,000 to $49,999 in cash and/or securities get $150;
$50,000-$99,999 get $225;
$100,000-$199,999 get $375;
$200,000 or more receive $900. You must have the qualifying balance 90 days after funding.

rated:
It is again the time when firms often have good offers to catch people filling taxes, and with deadlines soon approaching.

One list is on hustlermoneyblog at http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/best-brokerage-bonuses/

There is a separate thread on the Scottrade offers, which seem similar to others. See https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1559039?newest=1#last

rated:
bankdealsrule said:   Merrill Edge IRA for Preferred Rewards Clients has offer: As a Preferred Rewards client, you can get 50% more than the standard offer. Just transfer your IRA to a new Merrill Edge IRA by April 18, 2017, and they'll credit up to $900 into your new account once you've qualified. Must provide offer code.
$20,000 to $49,999 in cash and/or securities get $150;
$50,000-$99,999 get $225;
$100,000-$199,999 get $375;
$200,000 or more receive $900. You must have the qualifying balance 90 days after funding.

I called them and they have a $2500 for a million offer (as do most firms), but they have nothing for higher sums.
I was told there are some clients who bring a million over every year to maximize the bonuses.
The offer for $200,000 seems one of the best out there for that amount if you have Platinum Honor status, and I chose to take advantage of it. The three month holding period is good.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   
bankdealsrule said:   Merrill Edge IRA for Preferred Rewards Clients has offer: As a Preferred Rewards client, you can get 50% more than the standard offer. Just transfer your IRA to a new Merrill Edge IRA by April 18, 2017, and they'll credit up to $900 into your new account once you've qualified. Must provide offer code.
[...]

I called them and they have a $2500 for a million offer (as do most firms), but they have nothing for higher sums.
I was told there are some clients who bring a million over every year to maximize the bonuses.
The offer for $200,000 seems one of the best out there for that amount if you have Platinum Honor status, and I chose to take advantage of it. The three month holding period is good.

How does it work with brokerage (not IRA) bonuses? Can you just open another account and get the bonus again?

rated:
Powza said:   
ProfessorEd said:   
[...]

How does it work with brokerage (not IRA) bonuses? Can you just open another account and get the bonus again?

My understanding is they work off of social security numbers, and that they have separate annual limits for regular brokerages and IRA's. Just a new account will not work.

Hence a spouse may benefit if she has a separate account. A joint account may be allocated to the other person's bonus limits sometimes.

rated:
There seem to be fewer firms now offering large bonuses than when I started this thread.

Firms with $2500 for a million include Merrill Edge, E*Trade, Fidelity, Bank of the West, Ameritrade and Scottrade.

CITIbank, Santander, and Firsttrade, and Betterment seem to lack offers now.

With Scottrade and Ameritrade due to merge, there will be fewer. This leads me to consider taking advantage of their offers now, rather than later.

It is not clear how often you can repeat an offer with one firm if you take money out after the time limit.

As earlier it looks for those with less than a million to move, that you may come out ahead financially taking several offers. For instance, 4 offers to move $200,000 can add up to a bigger bonus than the $2500 for moving a million

It might be good if those discovering new offers post them here rather than starting a new thread for each offer, at least if from the major discount brokerage firms (whose services I view as very similar, at least if you are not a very active trader).

rated:
There are a few sweet points.

E*Trade is offering #100 for as little as $25,000 (see https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/retirement), which is .8%, while other offers are .3% (Merrill at $600 for $200,000, or Ameritrade at $300 for $100,0000), while the common $2500 for $1,000,000 is only .25%.

Also notice the holding periods differ with Merrill being attractive at 3 months, and Fidelity at 6 months. This may be important if you are hoping to later take another attractive offer, or if you may need the funds for spending (someone retired and spending down savings).

rated:
Schwab has a $500 for $150k - which is the amount I am planning to invest shortly.

http://content.schwab.com/web/retail/public/cash-reward/

Haven't really seen much better at that amount. Fidelity has $500 in apple gift cards but cash is better.

rated:
Sesq said:   Schwab has a $500 for $150k - which is the amount I am planning to invest shortly.
To earn a $500 cash bonus in your account, open an account, enroll in the offer, and make a qualifying net deposit of $100,000 in cash or securities.  

rated:
Sesq said:   Schwab has a $500 for $150k - which is the amount I am planning to invest shortly.

http://content.schwab.com/web/retail/public/cash-reward/ 

Haven't really seen much better at that amount. Fidelity has $500 in apple gift cards but cash is better.

Please let us know how things go with Schwab.  I started the process of signing up and wasted a bunch of time on their crappy website trying to apply.   I was then informed a phone call is required to apply.  I then said forget Schwab - this is 2017, they need to get their website running properly, plus I have better things to do with my time than speak on the phone with some salesperson over there.

rated:
I've had no problems with Schwab, personally. Got bonuses twice already, plus one for a family member, in the past two years. All three have been matches of offers from competing brokers, so were the highest available at their respective tiers.

Fast ACATS transfers and reimbursements of outgoing transfer fees, too

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   There are a few sweet points.

E*Trade is offering #100 for as little as $25,000 (see https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how-it-works/retirement), which is .8%, while other offers are .3% (Merrill at $600 for $200,000, or Ameritrade at $300 for $100,0000), while the common $2500 for $1,000,000 is only .25%.

Also notice the holding periods differ with Merrill being attractive at 3 months, and Fidelity at 6 months. This may be important if you are hoping to later take another attractive offer, or if you may need the funds for spending (someone retired and spending down savings).

ETrade is $200 for $25k if you use an affiliate link like TheFinanceBuff.

https://thefinancebuff.com/huge-bonus-offers-from-brokers-fideli...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017