• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   
Looking4morecents said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   Where is everybody?
  I sold most of my dividend stocks and used the proceeds to pay off my house.
I'm slowing rebuilding the brokerage account but mostly buying PML.

  Congrats on paying off the house!  A big accomplishment.  Lots of talk about not paying off a house because interest rates are so low, but if you can afford to pay it off and just sleep better because of paying it off, then you have done the right thing for you and that's all that matters.  Now your cash flow is so much better and you can resume your savings/investing strategies!  

PML, Pimco Municipal, pays nice 5.7% dividend.  Which state is it tax free?

  Thanks for the kind words.  Paying it off made sense to me when I compared paying taxes on my dividends and paying interest on the mortgage.
PML is tax-free in regards to Federal Income Tax but I believe it will be taxable income at my state level.

rated:
I've thought about paying off my house several times in the past few years. My rate after tax deduction is just too low, so I just can't justify it.

rated:
I'm here but not much trading. Just been reading a bunch of Seeking Alpha articles.

Last trade was in Ford earlier this year. basically just collecting the 5% Div. Was looking at TAL but never pulled the trigger and now that it's Triton I may dip my toe in. Also looking at other telecom div payers like Centurylink's 7% ish Div.

I've also been stalking some others but it's area I'm not familiar with yet. STAG and such. Waited too long to buy O and missed it, seems overpriced now.

PML hmm i'm going to look into that too.

rated:
Would the State version of PML for a particular state be 100% tax free?
For example, if I live in California would Pimco CA Muni. (PCK) be Federal AND State tax free?

rated:
sredni said:   Would the State version of PML for a particular state be 100% tax free?
For example, if I live in California would Pimco CA Muni. (PCK) be Federal AND State tax free?

  I think you are correct. It would be state and fed tax free since it is California muni and you live in California.

rated:
Anyone familiar with DLR (a big-data collection business)? It pays about 3.5% dividend.

rated:
Anyone looking at some ETF's in the oil sector?  It has been really beaten down.

rated:
shadow1woman said:   Anyone looking at some ETF's in the oil sector?  It has been really beaten down.
  
I didn't think the outlook for oil companies was all that great. 

rated:
Clocks said:   
shadow1woman said:   Anyone looking at some ETF's in the oil sector?  It has been really beaten down.
  
I didn't think the outlook for oil companies was all that great. 

  I agree.  Everyone criticized Warren Buffett for dumping all of his stock on XOM last year when it was well over $100/sh.  Now XOM doesn't have enough EPS to pay the dividends.  (But he did buy PSX for the refining aspect of oil industry).
The paradigm for oil has changed.  People don't want to admit it but some of the oil has to stay in the ground for planet earth to turn this global warming problem around.  Alternative renewable energy has to accelerate to replace oil wherever possible.  

Unfortunantely, I have a losing position on First Solar (FSLR) and it keeps going lower.  (no dividends).  Everyone is worried that the reduction in tax incentives is going to decelerate EPS of FSLR. Even FSLR conference call said as much for 2017.   If democrats win, then I think alternative energy industry will get a boost again.  

Every month of 2016 has so far been the hottest month in recorded history globally...  that number of straight record breaking months has never occurred before...  July was the hottest month ever in recorded history globally.....farmers around the world reporting blooming of crops occurring earlier than ever (and I can attest to that in my own garden)  and some people still don't think global warming is a fact....just like when some people hung on to the belief the world is flat or the sun revolves around the earth when science said otherwise.

And don't get me started on creationism versus darwinism.

 

rated:
Anyone know about DLR? Pays a nice 3.5% dividend and in the "data farm" business. Making great EPS too.

rated:
I waited a long time for STX to come back to where I bought it back in March!!  Glad I hung on because I collected great dividend while I waited for the recovery.

But now I'm tired of that experience of going down so much.  I'm probably going to sell if it reaches my cap gain break even.  Then I'll still be ahead because of the dividends I collected during that time.

Anyone have opinion about STX?

rated:
SNY was a play for me couple years ago and I am looking to play it again now that it has pulled back to under $40.

Pays over 4% dividend.

SNY has been buying lots of shares of REGN too.

Any opinions about SNY?

rated:
I am just thinking it might be a bit early for oil service sector, however it will come back. Don't think we will stop using oil. Just wondering what others were thinking. You know the old saying, buy when others are fearful. By the way I am enjoying this thread. It is great to share ideas and keep learning.

rated:
I have quite a bit of USO that's still down from when I bought it. It was around $45-48/barrel when I got in, I guess about a year ago, maybe a little more. My thoughts on it are that eventually demand will go up and/or supply will diminish. There has been so much manipulation by Saudi Arabia trying to undercut everybody else for what seems like forever, but this can't go on indefinitely. It may take a while, but I fully expect to see $100/barrel oil again in the next decade. I'm in it for the long haul, and it's maybe 2-3% of my total portfolio, so I'm not worried. Including the oil, I probably have about 10-12% of my portfolio in the energy sector, so my recovery from last summer hasn't been as brisk as most, but eventually I'm hoping it will pay off.

rated:
chc said:   
Anyone have opinion about STX?

  I don't understand the low valuations for STX and WDC.  It's as if there will be no more hard drives in a couple years.  I won some WDC.  I held STX a couple months back, but CALLs on it got assigned.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   I have quite a bit of USO that's still down from when I bought it. It was around $45-48/barrel when I got in, I guess about a year ago, maybe a little more. My thoughts on it are that eventually demand will go up and/or supply will diminish. There has been so much manipulation by Saudi Arabia trying to undercut everybody else for what seems like forever, but this can't go on indefinitely. It may take a while, but I fully expect to see $100/barrel oil again in the next decade. I'm in it for the long haul, and it's maybe 2-3% of my total portfolio, so I'm not worried. Including the oil, I probably have about 10-12% of my portfolio in the energy sector, so my recovery from last summer hasn't been as brisk as most, but eventually I'm hoping it will pay off.
  I think you are right, the price will go back up.  It may take a bit of time though.  I am looking ahead several years.  If one could get a little dividend while waiting it could pay very well in the end.

rated:
shadow1woman said:   
DTASFAB said:   I have quite a bit of USO that's still down from when I bought it. It was around $45-48/barrel when I got in, I guess about a year ago, maybe a little more. My thoughts on it are that eventually demand will go up and/or supply will diminish. There has been so much manipulation by Saudi Arabia trying to undercut everybody else for what seems like forever, but this can't go on indefinitely. It may take a while, but I fully expect to see $100/barrel oil again in the next decade. I'm in it for the long haul, and it's maybe 2-3% of my total portfolio, so I'm not worried. Including the oil, I probably have about 10-12% of my portfolio in the energy sector, so my recovery from last summer hasn't been as brisk as most, but eventually I'm hoping it will pay off.
  I think you are right, the price will go back up.  It may take a bit of time though.  I am looking ahead several years.  If one could get a little dividend while waiting it could pay very well in the end.

  No dividends with USO, right?  But I like how USO does not use future contracts.
Regarding oil prices, it has to go up eventually just based on inflation over the very long run.   And, of course, oil pumping will never cease as long as it is profitable.  
What about PSX, Warren Buffett's play on oil refining, as the winner no matter what it cost to pump it out of the ground?

I own a paltry number of shares of PSX as my only oil play.  I'm very heavily loaded on FB since its IPO (no dividends) .  Next have biotech/pharm sector.  Followed by tech which is growing in percentage on pull backs.  Then the dividend stocks of different kinds:  REITs, Financials, Metals/Mining, pharm, tech,  

rated:
No dividend on USO.

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   shadow1woman said:   
DTASFAB said:   I have quite a bit of USO that's still down from when I bought it. It was around $45-48/barrel when I got in, I guess about a year ago, maybe a little more. My thoughts on it are that eventually demand will go up and/or supply will diminish. There has been so much manipulation by Saudi Arabia trying to undercut everybody else for what seems like forever, but this can't go on indefinitely. It may take a while, but I fully expect to see $100/barrel oil again in the next decade. I'm in it for the long haul, and it's maybe 2-3% of my total portfolio, so I'm not worried. Including the oil, I probably have about 10-12% of my portfolio in the energy sector, so my recovery from last summer hasn't been as brisk as most, but eventually I'm hoping it will pay off.
  I think you are right, the price will go back up.  It may take a bit of time though.  I am looking ahead several years.  If one could get a little dividend while waiting it could pay very well in the end.

  No dividends with USO, right?  But I like how USO does not use future contracts.
Regarding oil prices, it has to go up eventually just based on inflation over the very long run.   And, of course, oil pumping will never cease as long as it is profitable.  
What about PSX, Warren Buffett's play on oil refining, as the winner no matter what it cost to pump it out of the ground?

I own a paltry number of shares of PSX as my only oil play.  I'm very heavily loaded on FB since its IPO (no dividends) .  Next have biotech/pharm sector.  Followed by tech which is growing in percentage on pull backs.  Then the dividend stocks of different kinds:  REITs, Financials, Metals/Mining, pharm, tech,  

USO holds front month contracts. I recall they roll a quarter every week.

rated:
Uso is crap..no divi and it actually doesn't track well. Bp on the hand is paying a fat divi and has made it clear they are going to continue to do so..been gobbling it up for over a year now

rated:
I don't like USO either, and would advise caution with it. The other crappy thing about USO, is if I recall it requires a K-1 at tax time.  So plan on additional headaches in April.

Anyway, since this is the dividend thread, talk of USO should probably move to the other stock picking thread.

rated:
Thanks for the warnings about USO !!

What about PSX?

rated:
What about BA and LMT (3.3% and 2.9%, respective dividend rates).

BA is a duopoly with Airbus.
LMT went public with their declaration of their Skunkworks cold fusion project. (Skunkworks came up with the high altitude spy plane, stealth technology, etc.) Cold fusion project would be a game changer for global warming.

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   Thanks for the warnings about USO !!

What about PSX?


doesn't look bad..think Buffett grabbed some of this awhile back

rated:
tanner12oz said:   
FWjunkie2 said:   Thanks for the warnings about USO !!

What about PSX?


doesn't look bad..think Buffett grabbed some of this awhile back

http://insidertrading.org/large-stock-buying.php?sort_by=accepta...

Looks like he bought at about the current price recently.

rated:
FWjunkie2 said:   What about BA and LMT (3.3% and 2.9%, respective dividend rates).

BA is a duopoly with Airbus.
LMT went public with their declaration of their Skunkworks cold fusion project. (Skunkworks came up with the high altitude spy plane, stealth technology, etc.) Cold fusion project would be a game changer for global warming.

  
Defense companies may be solid, since war seems to be looking more and more likely these days.  But don't buy LMT thinking you are going to make money off of cold fusion.  Cold fusion is always another 20 years away.

rated:
Sold all of my AHT at $7 recently. It was very hard to part with it. But they have about 75% of loans on adjustable interest rates and I think FED is going to raise interest rates. It was a great pick.

rated:
Today is one of the 4 best days of the year for my portfolio... WFC and PSX pay their dividends on the same day.

rated:
SaulHudson said:   Today is one of the 4 best days of the year for my portfolio... WFC and PSX pay their dividends on the same day.
  My PFE paid dividend into my account yesterday... yeah!
 

rated:
Anyone buying PSX (Warren Buffett is buying a lot!). Next qtr EPS is about $0.95/sh which easily covers the approx $0.63/sh dividend for qtr. Better dividend safety than XOM (which Warren dumped last year). PSX is heavily into refining the oil and the rational is no matter what oil prices are, PSX will mark it up for the refining business and should always be profitable.
Sound logical. Pays 3.2 dividend. And Warren's got your back...
What do you think?

rated:
Just captured the $0.45/sh dividend today for TRTN. Sold it over $15 recently and bought it back at $14/sh today on a steep pullback because of the ex-div date today... over compensating drop.

PSX is moving up!

rated:
Damn WFC. Ugh. That's one of my biggest holdings, along with BRK-B. They were supposed to be the bank that wasn't shady?!?!?!?

rated:
SaulHudson said:   ... the bank that wasn't shady?!?!?!?
  Oxymoron?  

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016