Costco anywhere visa card by CITI 4%gas 3% restaurant and travel

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
terms

~~Your Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi and/or Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card by Citi account ("Card Account") will earn Costco Cash Rewards based on your purchases that can be redeemed for merchandise or Cash Back at any U.S. Costco warehouse, including Puerto Rico ("Costco Cash Rewards").Earning Costco Cash Rewards on Purchases: You’ll earn Costco Cash Rewards for purchases using your Card Account, minus returns and refunds, as follows:
• 4% Cash Back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas purchases and then 1% thereafter. ◦Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases.You will only earn 1% Cash Back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes
.• 3% Cash Back on restaurant (including cafes, bars, lounges and fast food restaurants) and eligible travel purchases worldwide, including airfare, hotels, car rentals, travel agencies, cruise lines and Costco Travel. ◦ Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1%, not 3%, for purchases made at bakeries and certain restaurants/cafes inside department, grocery or warehouse clubs.
2% Cash Back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com.
•1% Cash Back on all other purchases, including the non-qualifying purchases listed above.
Merchant Classification: Each merchant — that is a retailer, business or any other place where you can make a purchase — is assigned a code that indicates the merchant’s area of business. For example, restaurants are generally assigned a specific merchant code. We don’t assign or have any control over merchant codes. Codes are chosen and assigned by a third party, who may change the codes from time to time. When you make a purchase at a merchant, we’re provided the code for that merchant. If the code matches a category that gives you additional Costco Cash Rewards — for example, if the merchant code tells us that you made a purchase at a restaurant — we’ll give you the additional Costco Cash Rewards for that purchase. Because we don’t control what code a merchant is assigned, sometimes a purchase that you think fits a certain category may not earn additional Costco Cash Rewards. For example, a restaurant located within a large retail outlet may not be assigned a "restaurant" code, but rather a "retailer" code. This means that even though you receive additional Costco Cash Rewards for purchases at "restaurants", you won’t earn additional Costco Cash Rewards for purchases at that restaurant. 

link to info 

wonder if they will do a PC from one of my cards? also wondering when we can apply outright. nice rewards on gas and travel imo

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Seems like TRAINS do NOT count as 3% Travel. Booked Amtrak Train and only received 1%. Why are Amtrak Train not counte... (more)

duke5150 (Aug. 13, 2016 @ 9:39a) |

Only got the 1% for gas at Meijer gas station, so they are discerning between stand alone and superstore stations.

silentbob007 (Aug. 13, 2016 @ 9:41a) |

I haven't seen it answered here but I just used my PenFed Cash Rewards card (5% statement credit) and I got the 5% at a ... (more)

AlphabetBackward (Sep. 07, 2016 @ 10:35a) |

Details formattted:
If you already have the Costco American Express, you do not need to apply for this card. This new Visa card will automatically be mailed to the you in May 2016; you will be able to use the card at Costco starting June 20, 2016. At that time, any cash rewards and/or debt balance will be transferred over to the new Citi card, and your Costco American Express will be closed automatically.
Citi Costco Anywhere Visa Card highlights:

• 4% ca$hback on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year. (Gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco do not qualify for 4%.)
  • 3% ca$hback on restaurant and eligible travel purchases worldwide (includes CostcoTravel)
  • 2% ca$hback on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
  • 1% ca$hback on all other purchases, including non-qualifying purchases above

-Worldwide Car Rental Insurance and Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance.
-Damage & Theft Purchase Protection is included, which may cover you for repairs or refunds for items you purchased with your Costco Anywhere Card that are damaged or stolen within 120 days of purchase (90 days for New York residents).
-No annual fee (with paid Costco membership).
-Will also serve as your Costco membership card.
-The rewards will accrue in the form of “Costco Cash Rewards”. you will receive the reward by US mail (from the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card) once every year in February based on your previous year’s spending. You can either (1) use as payment for goods directly at the Costco cash register, or, (2) request cash or check at a Costco customer service desk. You may also do a partial redemption at a cash register and they’ll give you the remaining balance in cash. Coupon must be redeemed in person on or prior to its expiration date of December 31 in the year in which it is issued.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

07pilot4me said:   also wondering when we can apply outright. nice rewards on gas and travel imoI assume you need to be a Costco member to apply. However, I don't know if they would revoke the card if you dropped your membership.

I may have missed it but ...

Any foreign transaction fees?

Car rental Insurance; is it Primary or Secondary? 

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
07pilot4me said:   also wondering when we can apply outright. nice rewards on gas and travel imo
I assume you need to be a Costco member to apply. However, I don't know if they would revoke the card if you dropped your membership.

I know AM3X used to send a warning letter and then close the card if membership is not obtained.

fwuser12 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
07pilot4me said:   also wondering when we can apply outright. nice rewards on gas and travel imo
I assume you need to be a Costco member to apply. However, I don't know if they would revoke the card if you dropped your membership.

I know AM3X used to send a warning letter and then close the card if membership is not obtained.

I never had the card myself, but I always thought the card's $55 annual fee served as the Costco annual membership fee.  That's not how it worked?

How do I get one...i didn't see an apply button

DTASFAB said:   
fwuser12 said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

I never had the card myself, but I always thought the card's $55 annual fee served as the Costco annual membership fee.  That's not how it worked?

It was the opposite, your Costco membership fee served as the card annual fee. Though I let my Costco membership lapse for well over a year and the card was never cancelled.

yeah, it says that there was no annual fee as long as you had a Costco membership.

The 4% CashBack on gas has a cap of $7,000 annually. That kills it for me.

EDIT: However, the 3% on travel/dining seems to be unlimited. This might be worth considering.

The old Costco Amex only paid Cash Back once a year, correct?  Any word on if this will be the same?  Any ways to cash out "Costco Cash Rewards" other then spending at Costco?

AverageGuy09 said:   The old Costco Amex only paid Cash Back once a year, correct?  Any word on if this will be the same?  Any ways to cash out "Costco Cash Rewards" other then spending at Costco?
  You don't need to spend the money at Costco, just walk up to a register and ask them to cash it out. At least that's how it works with the AMEX currently.

noelandres said:   The 4% CashBack on gas has a cap of $7,000 annually. That kills it for me.

EDIT: However, the 3% on travel/dining seems to be unlimited. This might be worth considering.

$7K=4k gallons of gas=?100k miles. you a truck driver?

cattlet said:   
noelandres said:   The 4% CashBack on gas has a cap of $7,000 annually. That kills it for me.

where are you buying gas for $1.75 per gallon??

didNOTsearch said:   where are you buying gas for $1.75 per gallon??http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
didNOTsearch said:   where are you buying gas for $1.75 per gallon??
http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4 

I paid < $1.70 yesterday evening at Kroger Cincinnati (before cents off), but it looks like prices went up since then. 

The Sam's near me in Austin is $1.59.

Anyone know if this Cash Back applies only to executive members, or any membership?

It says 'You will only earn 1% Cash Back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco  '. What is the convenience stores? When you google 'convenience stores near me', you know what it means.

Will Citi give me the same credit limit that I had with Amex?

tim4809 said:   It says 'You will only earn 1% Cash Back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco  '. What is the convenience stores? When you google 'convenience stores near me', you know what it means.

Gas stations with 7-11's.

i like the fact that it's 2% back on costco. (otherwise, there'd be no way I'd use that card at all)

7-Eleven =20px  
$ · Convenience Store  
Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPhone:xxxxxxxxxxxxxHours: Open today · Open 24 hours

ach1199 said:   
tim4809 said:   It says 'You will only earn 1% Cash Back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco  '. What is the convenience stores? When you google 'convenience stores near me', you know what it means.

Gas stations with 7-11's.

I've never had a gas card not give the bonus percentage at convenience store gas stations so I'm not sure how they would handle that. One would think it's the same coding.

VivYip said:   i like the fact that it's 2% back on costco. (otherwise, there'd be no way I'd use that card at all)
  Citibank DoubleCash already offers this and you don't need to wait until the yearly check arrives (if this works the same way as the AmEx card currently does).

Edit: Citibank site confirms annual check just like current AmEx. 

The 2% Citi CashBack is independent of the 2% back for Executive members, correct?

How/when do I get my new Costco Anywhere VisaYou do not need to apply. In May 2016, Citi will mail it to the basic cardmember or authorized officer’s mailing address provided to Citi. You can begin using your new card on June 20, 2016. If your address has changed, please call the number on the back of the card to update it.

peterskm said:   
  Citibank DoubleCash already offers this and you don't need to wait until the yearly check arrives (if this works the same way as the AmEx card currently does).

I believe the Double Cash card is only available as a MasterCard and you wouldn't be able to use it at the Costco warehouses.

Edited: Fixed quoted text

What should I do if I want to get one?

menofenpe said:   What should I do if I want to get one?
  Join Costco membership and they will send you an invitation to sign up for this credit card when the enrollment period starts. I don't believe there has been any announcement when the enrollment will start, but my guess is that it will be next month.

peterskm said:   
VivYip said:   i like the fact that it's 2% back on costco. (otherwise, there'd be no way I'd use that card at all)

Edit: Citibank site confirms annual check just like current AmEx. 

The Fidelity Amex will be a 2% Visa by June.

fwuser12 said:   The 2% Citi CashBack is independent of the 2% back for Executive members, correct?It had better be.

Wonder how you be able to get your rewards from AMEX card, if you do want the new card?

AverageGuy09 said:   The old Costco Amex only paid Cash Back once a year, correct?  Any word on if this will be the same?  Any ways to cash out "Costco Cash Rewards" other then spending at Costco?
  This is for illustrative purposes only and is based on estimates you provide.Cash Back is provided annually as a Rewards Coupon redeemable for Cash Back or merchandise at U.S. Costco Warehouses, including those in Puerto Rico. The coupon will be included in your February billing statement and expires on December 31=10.5pxst of the year issue  

I am assuming that any Costco member who did not have their AmEx card will have to apply with Citi for thie Visa card.

didNOTsearch said:   
cattlet said:   

where are you buying gas for $1.75 per gallon??

It's $2.35 in some California Costco

when is Costco offering instore sign up!!!! for a new card!

I'm guessing the 4%/1% gas Cash Back rewards will depend on the MCC. I wonder if the 1% CB will be on those convenience centers with only a few (2-4?) pumps.

Losing out on the rewards for "travel" is a bummer, but I think overall this is a decent replacement for the AMEX TrueEarnings card. I'm looking for a decent AMEX card to take advantage of AMEX services.

genux said:   Losing out on the rewards for "travel" is a bummer.

Huh? It's going to be 3%. Or are you talking about something else?

3c3 said:   
genux said:   Losing out on the rewards for "travel" is a bummer.

Huh? It's going to be 3%. Or are you talking about something else?

Yes, 3% for dining and travel. Pretty solid daily use card for many folks I'd think.

Still don't see on website its foreign transaction fees (if any) and whether the rental car insurance is primary or not, will determine whether this becomes my main card or not...

Skipping 222 Messages...
I haven't seen it answered here but I just used my PenFed Cash Rewards card (5% statement credit) and I got the 5% at a Costco gas station.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017