Citi Forward changing points earned in several categories

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am an existing citi cardmember and have the citi forward card.  The card has not been available for new applicants for a while however, they continued to honor existing customers the 5 pts /$ spent at restaurants, music, books and movies.
Got a letter from them today stating that effective June 4th, they are changing the points earned from 5pts/$1 in those categories to 2pts/$1.

This makes this card essentially worthless after june 4th.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are applying for credit. Does not matter whether it's in form of new account or extended credit line on existing acc... (more)

Powza (Feb. 15, 2017 @ 3:14p) |

The poster was talking about transferring an existing credit line (from his Forward) to an existing card (citi AAdvantag... (more)

defjukie (Feb. 16, 2017 @ 7:22a) |

Varies by issuer.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rules-for-reallocating-your-credit-limit-with-each-credit-card-issuer/

Bend3r (Feb. 16, 2017 @ 7:33a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wow. That will do it for me too. Used this card since 2009. Haven't received any letter so far.

Just posted about the letter. I'm so sad. Just redeemed 160k points not too long ago for parents in law to fly from China to Chicago for free.

Haven't gotten the letter yet...sure it's coming. This card is going into the trash heap.

Noooooooo!!!

Where will I get all my "student loan rebate" checks made out to my highest interest savings account institution!

Edit--I got my notice in the mail today. My life is officially over.

Damn, this sucks. One of my favorite cards, 5% back at Restaurants and Amazon.

Got my letter yesterday. Sigh, confirmed.

NOOOOOOOOOO. My favorite card.... WHY CITI

edit: I haven't gotten the letter yet, but

Too bad it appears to be widespread. And I thought they just set up that change on my birthday to spite me for using that card solely for restaurant/Amazon purchases since it's inception. </conspiracytheory>

Tough year with losing my 2.5% BofA Cash Rewards card and now this.

Bummer. That's been a great card for me, given how much I spend at Amazon.  With the Citi Premier card as well (which gets you 1.25c/point in value if you use points for flights), I was getting 6.25% back on all my Amazon purchases. 

Does anyone have replacement ideas for this one? Are there any card that have consistent 5% on restaurants?

OMG, oh no.

cestmoi123 said:   Bummer. That's been a great card for me, given how much I spend at Amazon.  With the Citi Premier card as well (which gets you 1.25c/point in value if you use points for flights), I was getting 6.25% back on all my Amazon purchases. 
  Same for me. Big loss.

this is awful, definitely not going to use this card after june. earned almost 10 million points over the life of this card and it's been an amazing ride

With this change, that makes DoubleCash equal or better in all respects, correct? Is there any reason not to just close the Forward and roll the balance limit into the DC account?

i remember last year people on here reported a similiar letter so ill believe it when i see it. would love to hear thoughts on best replacement card as i too was combining with citi premier and planned on gettin citi prestige to sweeten the pot soon

mine is actually a legacy legacy card (converted from the original mtvU), so maybe I'll slip through the cracks somehow.

defjukie said:   mine is actually a legacy legacy card (converted from the original mtvU), so maybe I'll slip through the cracks somehow.
  mine too!   Although, I thought on the website under "benefits" it used to list something referring to bonus category points.  Now it just says 1 point for the forward.

I got this letter today. This has been my "go-to" card for Amazon. com and restaurants for the past six years, it is sad to see it go.

Fortunately, I've still got the Sallie Mae card from Barclay (for however long those rewards last) as well as the Amazon. com store card to cover my bookstores and Amazon. com purchases, and US Bank Cash+ for my fast food purchases. I guess I'll have to settle for 2% on non fast-food though.

I don't understand why they didn't just convert the card to the ThankYou Preferred. Isn't that the exact same reward structure?

defjukie said:   mine is actually a legacy legacy card (converted from the original mtvU), so maybe I'll slip through the cracks somehow.
 Yep. I've had mine since 2005. I even got some bonus points for my good grades, and I'm nearly 10 years out of college!

BrianGa said:   
 Yep. I've had mine since 2005. I even got some bonus points for my good grades, and I'm nearly 10 years out of college!

My wife and i both got this terrible letter. I was MtvU convert and wife was student card. Both have had card for 5+years

wx1trw said:   With this change, that makes DoubleCash equal or better in all respects, correct? Is there any reason not to just close the Forward and roll the balance limit into the DC account?
Many reasons.

1. 2 TYP > 2% if you use it right. Not that I necessarily promote to continue using this card at restaurants but I don't see much alternative either. Chase cards also go up to 2 URs max.
2. Most of us have this card for a while and closing it will negatively affect the score.
3. Citi doesn't usually transfer the credit line at closing.

Letter received. Son of a...

All of life changes.

Pouring one out for my homie.

See you at the crossroads old friend

Shoot so what's the strategy for the next 2 months?! Buy loads of Amazon cards?

wx1trw said:   With this change, that makes DoubleCash equal or better in all respects, correct? Is there any reason not to just close the Forward and roll the balance limit into the DC account?
On June 5th (or after my statement cuts)  I plan on calling Citi to convert this card to the Double Cash (I need to keep the line open for Account age as it's my oldest) The only missing benefit is the 100 bonus points per month (a dollar or less depending on your redemption rates, which are lower if this is your only TYP card)

I'm going to think a lot about joining Costco and signing up for their new Citi Visa with 3% at restaurants and travel.

Damn, got over 10 years of use out of this one

CRAP!!!! I got the letter today. Haha. Oh well, I'll just enjoy while I can and try to figure out how much to spend in order to reach up to the next 2500 point threshold to redeem points with.

raceman73 said:   CRAP!!!! I got the letter today. Haha. Oh well, I'll just enjoy while I can and try to figure out how much to spend in order to reach up to the next 2500 point threshold to redeem points with.
  You can redeem smaller amounts through "select and credit" or via Amazon.

Unrelated, I got an Amazon gift card promo notice for $5 bonus with $100 purchase (probably covered in hot deals somewhere)

devyanks90 said:   
raceman73 said:   CRAP!!!! I got the letter today. Haha. Oh well, I'll just enjoy while I can and try to figure out how much to spend in order to reach up to the next 2500 point threshold to redeem points with.
  You can redeem smaller amounts through "select and credit" or via Amazon

Unrelated, I got an Amazon gift card promo notice for $5 bonus with $100 purchase (probably covered in hot deals somewhere)

Oh yes, totally forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder. 

Should I avoid going to my mailbox for a week so that I don't see this come in and remain in ignorant Bliss

Yoksel said:   

2. Most of us have this card for a while and closing it will negatively affect the score.
3. Citi doesn't usually transfer the credit line at closing.

Closing a card does nothing to your score in the near or medium term unless losing the limit blows your total utilization all to hell... which it shouldn't if you're managing  credit wisely.

Citi moves credit lines for me when I close cards all the time.  That's how my TY Preferred got up to almost 60k.  Prior to 12-18 months ago they generally didn't do this.

nymgiants said:   I am an existing citi cardmember and have the citi forward card.  The card has not been available for new applicants for a while however, they continued to honor existing customers the 5 pts /$ spent at restaurants, music, books and movies.
Got a letter from them today stating that effective June 4th, they are changing the points earned from 5pts/$1 in those categories to 2pts/$1.

This makes this card essentially worthless after june 4th.

yup, goes in the sock drawer june 4th.

heck, goes in the sock draw on April 1st when discover has 5% restaurants for their Rotating Quarter

Chargum85 said:   Noooooooo!!!

Where will I get all my "student loan rebate" checks made out to my highest interest savings account institution!

how does that work?
just call them up and ask them to make a check out to, say, Capital One?

will they mail the check to me or capital one?

devyanks90 said:   
On June 5th (or after my statement cuts)  I plan on calling Citi to convert this card to the Double Cash (I need to keep the line open for Account age as it's my oldest) The only missing benefit is the 100 bonus points per month (a dollar or less depending on your redemption rates, which are lower if this is your only TYP card)

I'm going to think a lot about joining Costco and signing up for their new Citi Visa with 3% at restaurants and travel.

Good luck.  I have seen a lot of threads on other forums of attempts to convert the Forward card into something else, and zero reported successes.  

fatlard said:   Does anyone have replacement ideas for this one? Are there any card that have consistent 5% on restaurants?
  Discover for 2nd quarter.
chase freedom for 3rd quarter.

4th quarter and beyond= ??? 

Well, crap. Just saw this posted at SD, so naturally this is where I came for verification. Haven't received the letter yet, but I've been expecting it to come around for a while. Truthfully, I don't use this card much anymore, since Amazon has gone to hell in a wheelbarrow, what with one thing and another, and I don't eat out like I used to; but still, one of my favorite cards. I think that I'll just close my account.

Bend3r said:   
  mine too!   Although, I thought on the website under "benefits" it used to list something referring to bonus category points.  Now it just says 1 point for the forward.

Unfortunately, I was an mtvU card holder originally too and I just got the letter this evening.  I heard about it today from someone I know in Chicago who got the letter yesterday and it was waiting for me when I arrived home.

Received the letter. Hopefully will be able to convert to the Citi Costco card. That's probably the best thing still available for restaurants anyway.

Skipping 168 Messages...
defjukie said:   Powza said:   You are applying for credit. Does not matter whether it's in form of new account or extended credit line on existing account. Hard pull is the norm.
  The poster was talking about transferring an existing credit line (from his Forward) to an existing card (citi AAdvantage).  No new credit is being created.

I've done this exact thing countless times in the past, and it has never resulted in even a soft pull.

Varies by issuer.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/rules-for-reallocating-your-credit-limit-with-each-credit-card-issuer/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017