• filter:

Southwest Airlines Chase Visa Plus - 50,000 Points $69 annual, $2000 spend/ 3 mon

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
It's back!  The Plus version of this card is usually only 25,000 points but they are again offering it for 50,000 points and a $69 annual fee:
Edit by Moderator- FatWallet does not allow referral links.  If you want to request a referral for this promotion, please do so in the Request a Referral thread here.

(Click on the "Plus" card on that page.)

The Southwest Chase Visa card is a great deal. There are two versions of the card: the Premier and the Plus.  The Premier has a $99 annual fee and has a few other benefits (e.g. no foreign transaction fees).

One downside: the Plus now has a $2,000 spend in three months to get the bonus - up from $1,000 (you can still get that deal but then you only get 25,000 points)

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, FINANCE. — May. 28, 2017 @ 11:46am
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Got it.  That's very good to know, so I need not call back and cancel the remaining card since it's not going to cost me... (more)

cameronj (Mar. 07, 2017 @ 6:34p) |

It actually will pay you, since you get anniversary points.

Bend3r (Mar. 07, 2017 @ 6:39p) |

My wife applied for the SW card yesterday, and did not get an immediate approval online. It required a phone call to a C... (more)

thx (Mar. 08, 2017 @ 12:18p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
How much are 50,000 points worth? $500? A flight from NY to Boston? A flight from Boston to LA? more?

rated:
If you plan ahead, 50,000 points should be more than enough for a family of 3 to do a round trip from DFW to Los Angeles. Source: I've done it a few times for about 15k points / round trip.

rated:
Points are worth about $0.016 each. This is taken by comparing the cost in $ to the cost in points for a nonstop flight from SAN to AUS, which I take regularly.

If you don't fly SW often, it's not worth it because of limited flight locations.

Also couple this with the 50k bonus for opening a SW premier card to get most of the way to a 110k points for a free companion pass this year and next.

rated:
50,000 points equate to $1000 of flight ticket.    If a ticket price is $400, then 20,000 points will be used.

rated:
zklopman said:   How much are 50,000 points worth? $500? A flight from NY to Boston? A flight from Boston to LA? more?
Depends on the ticket prices on the route chosen. Some markets are expensive.
My last 50K points got me 8 round trips tickets GSP (Spartanburg, SC)  - BWI (Baltimore MD).
you can easily see the point equivalent of a flight pricing on the Southwest Website by choosing display by $ or points.

rated:
Can also redeem for $500 in various gift cards for those who do not have travel plans, but the best value is flying.

rated:
If I have a premier, can I apply? If I cancel my premier, how long do I have to wait before I can apply?

rated:
TrueKnight said:   If I have a premier, can I apply? If I cancel my premier, how long do I have to wait before I can apply?
Plus is a different product than Premier so you can have both. For Chase, if you recently had the same version of a card you have to wait 24 months from the reward date to get the sign up bonus again. There is a Premier Personal and a Premier Business card too. Technically you could have the Plus, the Premier and the Premier Business all at the same time and get signup bonuses for each.

If you haven't heard of the SW Companion Pass, it's pretty awesome. I was able to get the 110k points already by April using the premier and premier business, so a companion can fly with me for free until end of 2017 (technically not free, but only a couple dollars per flight). This equates to around $3k in free flights for us.

Now if only they will approve for this third Premier Plus card....

Update:  Hells yea! $2k instant approval for my third Chase SW card with a 50k bonus. That racks up the count to over $4.5k in SW airline travel for 2016 and 2017 with the Companion Pass in effect. Thanks Chase!  Now, please get rid of the 5/24 rule for UR cards and the pending implementation of 5/24 to co-branded cards

rated:
Can I apply for both cards at the same time? That's 100k points + 2k in spend + ($69 + $99) AF + another $8k in spend = Companion pass?

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   Can I apply for both cards at the same time? That's 100k points + 2k in spend + ($69 + $99) AF + another $8k in spend = Companion pass?
Yes, if the Premier still offers 50k points.

rated:
Currently, you can get three SW Chase Visa cards at once: Plus, Premier, and Premier Business. Currently each gives you 50K after $2,000 spend in three months.

(If you want the business card, Chase doesn't seem to care if you are a "business" or not. For "business name," just put your name. The Business Visa card will then have your name printed on it twice, which seems weird, but I had no problem using it for regular purchases. I didn't have to submit any sort of verification to them that I am a "business" though I have some self employment income so technically I qualify anyway.)

Note that Chase has now limited these cards to getting a new card again (if you cancel then apply for another one) once every two years. However, that means you have to wait longer than two years from the last time you applied; they won't let you have the card again until two years after you have RECEIVED the last mileage bonus. I found this out recently, after applying for a new Premier card just over two years after the last time I applied for it. I got a rejection in the mail saying I had received the 50K bonus within the last two years so wasn't eligible to get the card again yet. Have to wait another two months, I guess.

The Plus just came back at 50K - I found out today when someone solicited me for one at Midway Airport. I thought it was the Premier but it wasn't, so I signed up on the spot.

I usually get at least two round trip tickets cross country with 50K points, sometimes more than two. It's really an amazing deal. And there are no blackout dates; points are proportional to dollars (mostly). And tickets booked with points are 100% refundable and changeable. If you have a bunch of points, you can double book tickets if you aren't sure say which day you want to return from a trip and just cancel the one you don't use at the last minute.

rated:
If applied for 5+ cards/credit anywhere in 24 months, Chase will tell you to go pound sand despite credit score above 800 and both a checking and a savings account at Chase. In a few weeks it will mail you a solicitation for the card denied! (Experience, anecdotes.)

rated:
snork615 said:   If applied for 5+ cards/credit anywhere in 24 months, Chase will tell you to go pound sand despite credit score above 800 and both a checking and a savings account at Chase. In a few weeks it will mail you a solicitation for the card denied! (Experience, anecdotes.)
  I have talked to Chase several hours ago about my denied Ink app and the rep told me that with 10+ new opened cards within the last year there's no chance that I'd be considered for another Chase card anytime soon. Instant approval on SW Plus just now.

zklopman said:   How much are 50,000 points worth? $500? A flight from NY to Boston? A flight from Boston to LA? more?
My first sign up bonus got me ~5 RTs. (BOS-AUS, BOS-SFO, BOS-FLL, 2x BOS-MDW). I looked for good deals but these weren't the absolute best since I've done wknd trips and best rates are usually on mid-week travel. IMO, one of the best public card offers out there...probably the best considering that properly timing two card apps + some spend will get you a companion pass for almost two years.   

rated:
DiMAn0684 said:   
snork615 said:   If applied for 5+ cards/credit anywhere in 24 months, Chase will tell you to go pound sand despite credit score above 800 and both a checking and a savings account at Chase. In a few weeks it will mail you a solicitation for the card denied! (Experience, anecdotes.)
  I have talked to Chase several hours ago about my denied Ink app and the rep told me that with 10+ new opened cards within the last year there's no chance that I'd be considered for another Chase card anytime soon. Instant approval on SW Plus just now

The general idea is the 5/24 rule is currently only applied for the UR cards (Freedom, CSP, Ink).

rated:
Since I received a Premier card earlier this year, I was given a refer offer for anyone who would like the same 50K, $99/year and $2k spend on a Premier card. It does require a phone in application with refer information.

However, if you want to double dip, the ops page currently seems to have both offers listed creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/2rtfosam1

rated:
The hated 5/24 rule currently only applies for Chase UR cards such as Sapphire and INK. They are expected soon to extend to co-branded cards such as SW, Marriott, Hyatt, etc, but I don't believe they have yet. Chase does get finnicky if you have recently opened several of their cards, but this is separate than the 5/24 rule and YMMV.

rated:
Why are credit card offers suddenly moved TO Hot Deals and not left in FINANCE?

rated:
chihungyip said:   50,000 points equate to $1000 of flight ticket.    If a ticket price is $400, then 20,000 points will be used.

Since about a year ago the value of points is no longer static and ranges from 1.2-1.9¢ per point for Wanna Get Away fares, so 50,000 points is worth anywhere from $600 to $950.

rated:
Thx OP. Approved for Plus, Deferred for personal Premier

rated:
Got this last year, it applies toward A-List too! So if you fly a lot, but not quite a-list a lot this will put you over... A-List is awesome, even if you fly other airlines you can still cut ahead at security!

I was able to get 2 tix Buffalo to Orlando for 14,000 RT and 3 tix Buffalo to Jacksonville RT for 30,000ish...

rated:
theedge103 said:   Got this last year, it applies toward A-List too! So if you fly a lot, but not quite a-list a lot this will put you over... A-List is awesome, even if you fly other airlines you can still cut ahead at security!

I was able to get 2 tix Buffalo to Orlando for 14,000 RT and 3 tix Buffalo to Jacksonville RT for 30,000ish...

the 50k bonus points do NOT count toward A-List.  For every $10k you spend, you get 1,500 A list qualifying points, up to a max of 15k.  So if you spend $100k on the card you get 15k A list qualifying points.

rated:
Can I cash out the points as cash?

rated:
Morro said:   Can I cash out the points as cash?

No, but "Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers can redeem their Rapid Rewards points for hotel stays, rental cars, gift cards, event tickets, merchandise and other unique experiences."

I don't know about the value, but I don't expect it would be very good.

rated:
doveroftke said:   

No, but "Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers can redeem their Rapid Rewards points for hotel stays, rental cars, gift cards, event tickets, merchandise and other unique experiences."

You can get gift cards at 1cent/point.  So with this signup bonus you can get $500 in Amazon/WalMart/ect gift cards if you don't fly southwest.

rated:
doveroftke said:   

Just looked, some $25GCs for 3k pts and $100 GCs for 10k pts. 50k pts will get you $500 in Target gift cards, but as it's been said before the redemption value for flights is much better.

rated:
Nice, thanks!

rated:
IMO, you should only really do this card in conjunction with earning a companion pass. You don't want to apply for them haphazardly and miss out. That means two of these cards simultaneously roughly every two years in January.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   IMO, you should only really do this card in conjunction with earning a companion pass. You don't want to apply for them haphazardly and miss out. That means two of these cards simultaneously roughly every two years in January.
  And if one doesn't have a companion?

It's not possible to get the same two cards every two years in January.  As I tried to explain above, Chase limits you to getting the bonus once every two years - but that means more than two years between cards.  If you applied for a card January 1, 2016, quickly spend your $2,000 and the bonus February 1, 2016 (when your statement closed - or whenever), you can't get another card until at least February 1, 2018.  And you'll have to wait even longer if you don't quite spend the $2,000 the first month.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   
TravelerMSY said:   IMO, you should only really do this card in conjunction with earning a companion pass. You don't want to apply for them haphazardly and miss out. That means two of these cards simultaneously roughly every two years in January.

It's not possible to get the same two cards every two years in January.  As I tried to explain above, Chase limits you to getting the bonus once every two years - but that means more than two years between cards.  If you applied for a card January 1, 2016, quickly spend your $2,000 and the bonus February 1, 2016 (when your statement closed - or whenever), you can't get another card until at least February 1, 2018.  And you'll have to wait even longer if you don't quite spend the $2,000 the first month.

Read Corndogg's post upthread.  He just got 3 bonuses in the same year.

ETA: I might have misread your post.  I thought you were suggesting you couldn't get a companion pass b/c you couldn't get the 50k bonus twice within a year.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   

You line up your CP early in a year and have almost two years to find a companion

rated:
Didn't see this mentioned in OP:

$69 annual fee applied to your first billing statement.† Fee not wasived for 1st year so deduct that from value.

rated:
I always assume the annual fee is not waived the first year on a credit card offer unless so mentioned.

Even when paying an $99 annual fee for the Premier version to get 50,000 points, I still find it an amazing deal. When you can fly cross country round trip twice (or more?) basically for $99 (or $69)? And it's not in theory - I've had several of these cards over the years and taken a dozen or two flights paid for with SW points. And no change or cancellation fees is HUGE perk I've taken advantage of many times. That's something that doesn't make it into the dollars-per-point calculation. Most other airline FF programs have fees for changes or cancellation.

rated:
You can change the designated companion 3x,maybe even annually. So feel free to bring a friend along. Hopefully y'all have a few of those.

Every time I have to requalify I think the CP is going to be tough to earn. But it just keeps going, And chase bonuses aren't the only way, just the cheapest.

rated:
If i currently have this card, do i get anything from this?

rated:
wiseguy151 said:   If i currently have this card, do i get anything from this?
No, but if you got the card just recently and haven't received the bonus yet, you might call Chase and ask if they can convert your card to this new deal (higher bonus but higher minimum spend).

If you've had the card for more than two years, you would need to cancel the card and get a new one to get another bonus.

rated:
Is there a way to know which product you had with them. I know I had a Southwest card, not sure if it was Plus or Premier.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   I always assume the annual fee is not waived the first year on a credit card offer unless so mentioned.

Even when paying an $99 annual fee for the Premier version to get 50,000 points, I still find it an amazing deal. When you can fly cross country round trip twice (or more?) basically for $99 (or $69)? And it's not in theory - I've had several of these cards over the years and taken a dozen or two flights paid for with SW points. And no change or cancellation fees is HUGE perk I've taken advantage of many times. That's something that doesn't make it into the dollars-per-point calculation. Most other airline FF programs have fees for changes or cancellation.

I wasn't complaining just stating a fact not in evidence.    I do understand your "calculations" however at least in my case SWA is useless for travel since they don't even fly from EWR.   Some people look at it purely for the "cash value" so that $69 up front is an important point that usually gets mentioned in an OP for a CC deal. 

Generally speaking you really shouldn't ASSUME the AF is NOT waived because at least in what I have been doing over the years 9 out of 10 times it IS waived for the 1st year.

rated:
MisterEd said:   Didn't see this mentioned in OP:

$69 annual fee applied to your first billing statement.† Fee not wasived for 1st year so deduct that from value.

SW cards never waive the fee but very generous with the reward. Once you click through it is upfront and clear about it. I can read and don't want to nitpick whether the info shared is 100% complete.

Skipping 183 Messages...
rated:
My wife applied for the SW card yesterday, and did not get an immediate approval online. It required a phone call to a CSR, who explained that her 2 existing Chase cards used up all of the combined credit limit she was allowed at Chase. Fortunately the CSR suggested an easy solution - reduce the credit limit on the other 2 cards, and allocate that amount to be the credit limit on the SW card. It was an easy and reasonable solution which did not impact our spending patterns at all. The CSR even expedited getting the card to us in just a couple of days. We will be available to use it for our Spring break vacation, and get a good start on the minimum spend requirement.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017