Marvel MasterCard - 3% on multiple categories (Dining, Movies, Bookstores, see list...) / 1% Cashback on other

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was browsing for new credit cards to substitute my Citi Forward, and noticed the Marvel Mastercard. I didn't apply for it yet, but I was wondering what people thought about it. I do like the Dining, Movies, and "Books and Newstands" CashBack (most Amazon purchases seem to count as well, as they get coded as a bookstore).

3% CashBack on:
* Dining
* Movie Theaters
* Video Rental and Game Stores
* Theatrical and Concert Promoters
* Amusement Parks
* Digital Entertainment
* Games and Software
* Music
* Books and Newsstands 
* Toys and Hobby Stores
* Marvel Online and Convention Purchases

1% CashBack on all other purchases

$25 Statement Credit after first purchase, and no annual fee

Link to card page: http://marvel.com/creditcard 
Link to CashBack details: http://marvel.com/creditcard_reward_terms 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Got an email for this card, "spend $500 in December and earn a $25 statement credit".

qcumber98 (Dec. 03, 2016 @ 11:09a) |

Lately, I've been getting a lot of compliments when I use this card.  It's been a pleasant surprise.

qcumber98 (Feb. 25, 2017 @ 6:10p) |

The sad times being what they are, I may actually get this card. Now that Forward is gone, it's a little bit better than... (more)

irobot (Feb. 26, 2017 @ 2:22p) |

Official link for categories overview: http://mail.synchronyfinancial.com/q/Retail_Finance/21169_RF5014_16_MVL_EMOB_LP

Dining indicates Restaurants and Nightlife

MCC DEFINITIONS

Movie Theatres:Establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions.

Video Rental and Game Stores:Merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

Theatrical and Concert Promoters:Merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies.

Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums):Establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows.

Digital Entertainment, Games, and Software:Merchants that provide digital games and content for computers and mobile devices.

Music:Establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online records and digital music.

Books and Newsstands:Establishments selling reading material both digital and physical formats (includes comic stores).
Confirmed: MCC 5994 - NEWS DEALERS, NEWSSTANDS

Toys and Hobby Stores:Establishments selling toys and games, including video games.

Marvel Online and Convention Purchases -purchases made with your Card solely via: (a) the following Marvel digital and/or online storefronts: (i) Marvel Digital Comics Shop, (ii) Marvelshop.com, (iii) Marvel Unlimited, and (iv) Marvel Print Subscriptions; (b) Marvel's official merchandise booths at designated comic conventions; and (c) any other Marvel-branded digital or physical stores designated by Marvel. Marvel.com registration may be required in order to purchase at Marvel.com. Purchases on third-party websites linked to from the Marvel.com website or apps (e.g., sites operated by third-party advertisers) are not eligible purchases at Marvel.com.

Fees and card agreement: https://ch02.rfecom.com/consumereApply/Internet/marvel/en/pdf/TermsConditions.pdf 
*You can opt out of arbitration and still keep your account, but it requires a postal letter.*
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well, there goes my paycheck and my credit score.

I would assume Amazon counts for books.
"Books and Newsstands– establishments selling reading material, both digital and physical formats (includes comic stores)."

Issued by Synchrony Bank for those interested.
No mention of an annual fee that I can see.

Is "dining" in MCC credit card terms restaurants as well as fast food type stuff? Card seems really good.

jd2010 said:   Is "dining" in MCC credit card terms restaurants as well as fast food type stuff? Card seems really good.
  There's no specific definition for dining. Just a note saying a grocery store cafe may not work as dining.

Excelsior!

A very, very decent Citi Forward replacement. Amazing timing. This card appears to be a base Mastercard, but I am not sure if the issuer will pay fees for any premium cards (Plat, World or WE). I don't know what MC benefits will apply. Even if none, it is okay since the categories are not travel or big ticketed purchase oriented.

Some more notes.

Card has been only out a few *days* officially. So, everything will be new for everyone including customer service. I can assure everyone that all marketing parties involved expect this to be a massively popular card. If the Disney fans crossover, it will be subscribed in even bigger numbers so I don't think there will be any bigger incentive until after 5/31 at the earliest. I do not believe the bloggers are getting commission for applications, so I do not think they will push the card very much.

Don't panic if you have to call in after online application especially if you do not already have existing credit with the issuing bank (store card or related). There is a verification process.

I think the categories are definitely an interesting selection. As noted, we all hope that Dining will include both Fast Food (all chains plus Starbucks) and Eating Places (sit down, more formal places). I don't think it will include the Bar category (Citi Forward did not, but who knows?). Automatic CashBack /rebate credit is something we have not seen in the market in quite some time (HSBC days before Capital One days I think).

US-based call center.

Last note, I have no idea how Disney is allowing these divisions (Pixar to some extent /Marvel/Lucasfilms) to have their own competing marketing partners. I see it many food and drink items, but for credit cards this is new. I have no idea how Chase could not protest this decision (or maybe after they added Star Wars, they didn't want to pay more to lock in the Marvel side).

Clearly, having an 'independent card', you can take advantage of many competing chains including the various theme park brands (recommend use at ticket booths ONLY from past quarterly bonus experience -- if you have to, buy a gift card at the ticket booth if you need to make purchases inside the parks). Live entertainment, books and toys are smart thematic choices. The Amazon potential is fascinating. The good news is hard core folks will have a 5% card for that category (and reduce getting that category shutdown), but for everyone else this is a good multi-use card.  Yes, way better than Disney/Chase cards (even their AF one) - especially since Disney dropped the free printed picture at the parks.

Rasheed

rasheedb said:   A very, very decent Citi Forward replacement. Amazing timing.[...]

I think the categories are definitely an interesting selection. As noted, we all hope that Dining will include both Fast Food (all chains plus Starbucks) and Eating Places (sit down, more formal places). I don't think it will include the Bar category (Citi Forward did not, but who knows?). Automatic CashBack /rebate credit is something we have not seen in the market in quite some time (HSBC days before Capital One days I think).

[...]
I have no idea how Chase could not protest this decision (or maybe after they added Star Wars, they didn't want to pay more to lock in the Marvel side).

3% in a few selected categories is not really "the greatest thing since sliced bread", especially with near $0 opening bonus.  Most people would already have a 2% card on everything.  So, it's really only looking at "up to"(because there's other cards covering many of these categories) 1% incremental benefit plus the card with the marvel graphic.  In exchange for potentially forgoing $500+ extra benefit from opening spend on a different card.   The forward was 5% in the fixed categories which was a 3% edge over a strict 2% card, or three times better incremental rewards.   Hardly a "very decent Forward replacement" when it provides one-third the value that the Forward did.  The 1% benefit is really still being somewhat optimistic, because there will inevitably be some charges that should be 3% that they will instead only give 1%, in effect costing 1% to use the card on those purchases.  With a 5%/1% structure this happens too, but it would take 3 mis-categorizations to cancel out the correctly categorized charges on those cards whereas each mis-categorized purchase on this card would directly offset a correct charge.

If compared just against a $500 opportunity, that's $450 difference in opening bonus which would require $45000 in spend in 3% categories for this card that aren't covered elsewhere until this card would break-even.   Oh, you say it's not fair to use opening bonus because that may require $2-4k spend in 3 months?? -- But this card would require $45000 spend to get an equal bonus, so in comparison $2-4k is peanuts and you could open 10 cards requiring $4k spend.

Personally I would get the card if I could convert a current card without the inquiry... but of course I have no synchrony and don't know if they even let you convert.  The 1% better rewards is certainly worthwhile if you already have a synchrony card and they convert it costing nothing in opportunity cost.  Or I'd also get it if I was a really big Marvel fan.

There is significant value to having a new card by a bank that you do not already have a trade line. As these banks keep merging (AmEx might be next), it continues to shrink and concentrate credit lines where it will be hard to grow CLs at a institutional level without requiring significant FR.

Finally, it is a very good thing that this card has little to no value to the pump and sock drawer after opening bonus chasers. It has ruined so many programs (no one can disagree). It is not the fault of chasers that the banks offer these ridiculous opening promotions, but if it reduces such type of applicants, it just means better long term potential that this card lasts awhile. There would be no such thing as 5/24 or AmEx lifetime bonus limits if it wasn't for this type of profile applicant. I think this was intentional on the bank in this offer.

Using your numbering system, this card is 50% better than a 2% all purchases card (which are only a few choices) in specific categories. Almost all of the other cards I know of that offer these categories above 2% (except for dining) require you to choose these categories as part of a selection limit (quarterly or whatever). By having these categories available on this card, it frees up those 5% category selection cards to be used on other potentially higher value categories. Also, a number of cards in these entertainment categories have gone kaput like the Universal Amex. Sure, there is the potential of 1% categories, but it is not hard for cardholders to share MCCs or merchants that are not coded for 3% based on their experience. This has been done for Citi Forward and most MCC-based travel cards for years to help cardholders on iffy situations.

Rasheed

rasheedb said:   Almost all of the other cards I know of that offer these categories above 2% (except for dining) require you to choose these categories as part of a selection limit (quarterly or whatever). By having these categories available on this card, it frees up those 5% category selection cards to be used on other potentially higher value categories.

Which card gives more than 2% on Games and Software?

Would boardgames count as games/toys?  Card seems vague.

darthmaul9d9 said:   Would boardgames count as games/toys?  Card seems vague.
  How much money do you spend on board games for that to be relevant?

vnuts21 said:   darthmaul9d9 said:   Would boardgames count as games/toys?  Card seems vague.
  How much money do you spend on board games for that to be relevant?

Go to boardgamegeek.com. It is quite relevant to me.

So, I *think* the MCC the bank is supporting for 3% on this category is 5945 known as "Game, Toy and Hobby Shops" or "Hobby, Toy, and Game Shops".  You need to see if you can see this description on your current card statement for recent purchases from whichever boardgames store you are referencing.

Rasheed

qcumber98 said:   
rasheedb said:   Almost all of the other cards I know of that offer these categories above 2% (except for dining) require you to choose these categories as part of a selection limit (quarterly or whatever). By having these categories available on this card, it frees up those 5% category selection cards to be used on other potentially higher value categories.
  Which card gives more than 2% on Games and Software?

Yeah, you are right.  This is not an option for the selectable 5% categories when I did more research.

Rasheed

rasheedb said:   

So, I *think* the MCC the bank is supporting for 3% on this category is 5945 known as "Game, Toy and Hobby Shops" or "Hobby, Toy, and Game Shops".  You need to see if you can see this description on your current card statement for recent purchases from whichever boardgames store you are referencing.

Rasheed

Under the description for a purchase from a board game store I buy from, www.cardhaus.com, with my amex, it lists- Merchant description:BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

darthmaul9d9 said:   
rasheedb said:   

Rasheed

Under the description for a purchase from a board game store I buy from, www.cardhaus.com, with my amex, it lists- Merchant description:BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED

You may need to try a small purchase with a V or MC to be sure, but it does not look good.   You could send a support email to the site to ask them to work with their V/MC card processor to change the category to the one I mentioned for better accuracy which can lead to better rewards, but it is a low probability as you can imagine.  This is an example of on of those 1% likely rebate situations for this merchant.

Rasheed

Anyone apply? I just finished and they're saying 7-10 business days for written reply.

Decent card, but I'll wait for the Costco visa. I need a Forward replacement and that card seems more stable. With Synchrony, they might cancel or downgrade this card in months.

Verified that there is no annual fee.

Quick instant approval.

You can call them at 1-855-220-3806 

"3% Back: For every dollar in eligible net purchases (merchandise purchased minus returns and adjustments) ("Purchases"), rounded to the nearest hundredth, charged to your Card for Purchases of dining, select entertainment and for Marvel Online and Convention Purchases.
For example, a dining purchase at the café area of a grocery store may have a MCC identification as a type of merchant other than a restaurant and therefore would not qualify as a dining purchase under these Terms."

Love these categories, but it seems kind of silly to apply for it when I have a 2% everywhere card. A bigger signup bonus would make my decision easier.

I got one... but strangely couldn't pick it up!
Then after a few minutes, it went flying through the air, right into the hands of someone more financially responsible!

My application was denied because they couldn't verify my identity. I called them up and they said they couldn't do anything. They told me to contact Transunion about my credit report. I know for a fact that everything on there is correct. "You can apply again next year." Has anyone ran into this before?

Just to advise that there is going to be no way to see the MCC code or category on the site or statement, and I am going to have to use my experience with the MCC displays at BoA, Citi and Barclays to determine which merchants to use.  The MCC categories in the QS are essentially taken from the common MCC descriptions.

Rasheed

Could anyone confirm the 3% on Amazon purchases? Or if it comes with any other MasterCard benefits (such as Extended Warranty, etc)?

galandy said:   Or if it comes with any other MasterCard benefits (such as Extended Warranty, etc)?

Standard MC benefits.  I don't have the brochure nearby, but it has the basic coverages.  It is not a W or WE from what I can tell.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/cre...

Rasheed

amd555 said:   Decent card, but I'll wait for the Costco visa. I need a Forward replacement and that card seems more stable. With Synchrony, they might cancel or downgrade this card in months.
  Do you know their history regarding cancellations or downgrades of benefits?

I'm not all excited about this card, but I haven't been anything better for restaurants (outside of quarterly CB offers).

jwardl said:   I got one... but strangely couldn't pick it up!
Then after a few minutes, it went flying through the air, right into the hands of someone more financially responsible!

I dropped my card in the elevator, but the elevator still went up. Does that mean the elevator is financially responsible?

galandy said:   Could anyone confirm the 3% on Amazon purchases? Or if it comes with any other MasterCard benefits (such as Extended Warranty, etc)?

I could pretty much guarantee it WON'T work for most of Amazon.  If it did then it would be a very hot card indeed.  But Amazon uses different codes, so if you are just buying actual BOOKS then it might work because they tend to code those that way.  But as soon as you drop anything non-book into the cart?  Yeah.  I just buy gift cards with my 6% AMEX for my Amazon habit.

The really interesting one here is games -- which should include Steam.  Technically I can buy gift cards there too, but my spending there is pretty uneven.  It will also be interesting if it covers payments to the (ironically named) "Free to Play" games.  I don't do those at all anymore, but at one time I spent a rather embarrassing amount on one before I did the math and deleted the game one day.  Had an amazing inventory of "premium" stuff and a decent amount of store "credits" when I pulled the plug but to try to liquidate would put me back into the game and I would rather make a clean break.  I don't trust myself, I had enough "crap" to play "free" for quite a while before running out.  But I WOULD run out.  So yeah.

RedWolfe01 said:   
galandy said:   Could anyone confirm the 3% on Amazon purchases? Or if it comes with any other MasterCard benefits (such as Extended Warranty, etc)?

I could pretty much guarantee it WON'T work for most of Amazon.  If it did then it would be a very hot card indeed.  But Amazon uses different codes, so if you are just buying actual BOOKS then it might work because they tend to code those that way.  But as soon as you drop anything non-book into the cart?  Yeah.  I just buy gift cards with my 6% AMEX for my Amazon habit.

The now-discontinued Sallie Mae Mastercard counts all Amzn purchases as book stores for the 5% CB rate. This includes Amzn itself and Amzn Marketplace (Sold by X, fulfilled by Amzn, I believe also the ones that aren't even fulfilled by Amzn), they all show up as merchant category "book stores" on my statement. I believe the only things not included are gift cards, Prime memberships, and digital downloads (movies, music, not sure about kindle books).
Can't confirm if this new card will do the same but I'd say it's pretty likely given it is also a Mastercard.

plastrd said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

I could pretty much guarantee it WON'T work for most of Amazon.  If it did then it would be a very hot card indeed.  But Amazon uses different codes, so if you are just buying actual BOOKS then it might work because they tend to code those that way.  But as soon as you drop anything non-book into the cart?  Yeah.  I just buy gift cards with my 6% AMEX for my Amazon habit.

The now-discontinued Sallie Mae Mastercard counts all Amzn purchases as book stores for the 5% CB rate. This includes Amzn itself and Amzn Marketplace (Sold by X, fulfilled by Amzn, I believe also the ones that aren't even fulfilled by Amzn), they all show up as merchant category "book stores" on my statement. I believe the only things not included are gift cards, Prime memberships, and digital downloads (movies, music, not sure about kindle books).
Can't confirm if this new card will do the same but I'd say it's pretty likely given it is also a Mastercard.

I doubt they include the "general merchandise" as "bookstores" -- which is what most of my purchases get coded as.  (Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase)  This is how marketplace, Kindle and digital music gets coded too.   This is right from my AMEX statement.

RedWolfe01 said:   
plastrd said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

I doubt they include the "general merchandise" as "bookstores" -- which is what most of my purchases get coded as.  (Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase)  This is how marketplace, Kindle and digital music gets coded too.   This is right from my AMEX statement.

Given that this card is a MasterCard and not a AMEX, it's more likely whatever other Mastercards classify Amazon.com is how this card will classify Amazon.com.

Just got the card in the mail today.  Charged a $1 Amazon gift card load.  Will wait and see how it is classified.

Since the cash back is credited to the account within two billing cycles, this card does appear to be a little easier to use (rewardwise) than other cards.

jonyyeh said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   
plastrd said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

Given that this card is a MasterCard and not a AMEX, it's more likely whatever other Mastercards classify Amazon. com is how this card will classify Amazon. com.

Just got the card in the mail today.  Charged a $1 Amazon gift card load.  Will wait and see how it is classified.

Since the cash back is credited to the account within two billing cycles, this card does appear to be a little easier to use (rewardwise) than other cards.

MCC codes are MCC codes.  I have seen 3 different codings from them.  If they are not doing it on the "name" Amazon then its not going to work as well as you think.

RedWolfe01 said:   MCC codes are MCC codes.  I have seen 3 different codings from them.  If they are not doing it on the "name" Amazon then its not going to work as well as you think.
  Nope. V/MC MCC codes are different than Amex MCC codes.

gergles said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   MCC codes are MCC codes.  I have seen 3 different codings from them.  If they are not doing it on the "name" Amazon then its not going to work as well as you think.

Yep.  I am talking as a concept, not the actual number assigned.

Different number, same concept, same terminals, same store type.  "Grocery Store" may be X on MC/V and Y on AMEX but its STILL a Grocery Store.  If your card gives 6% on Grocery store then that is what it had better be coded as.  Amazon uses "Merchandise and Supplies - Internet Purchase", mostly, I have seen "Book Store" a few times, but even Kindle books are coded as "Merchandise and Supplies" on AMEX.  I am looking at my bill, its pretty clear.

There is an "additional information" field that may say "book store" or "digital" or "marketplace" but that doesn't do anything for you on qualifying for a rebate or not.   

On all Visa/MC transactions for Amazon, I have seen them come through under the following two merchant names:

Amazon MKTPLACE PMTS
Amazon.COM AMZN.COM/BILL

All of these were coded as BOOK STORES no matter what I actually bought. The only matching V/MC MCC is 5942 for this category. I have not used the Marvel MC as yet at Amazon.

If anyone has a charge that is listed as one of these two merchants that did not get 3%, please advise. If anyone has another V/MC Amazon transaction that is listed differently and doesn't get 3%, please advise the details.

Rasheed

RedWolfe01 said:   
gergles said:   

Yep.  I am talking as a concept, not the actual number assigned.

Different number, same concept, same terminals, same store type.  "Grocery Store" may be X on MC/V and Y on AMEX but its STILL a Grocery Store.  If your card gives 6% on Grocery store then that is what it had better be coded as.  Amazon uses "Merchandise and Supplies - Internet Purchase", mostly, I have seen "Book Store" a few times, but even Kindle books are coded as "Merchandise and Supplies" on AMEX.  I am looking at my bill, its pretty clear.

There is an "additional information" field that may say "book store" or "digital" or "marketplace" but that doesn't do anything for you on qualifying for a rebate or not.   

I have used the Forward card for years, and almost everything I buy there is coded as bookstore (regardless of what it is). I get the points as if it is a bookstore.

rasheedb said:   On all Visa/MC transactions for Amazon, I have seen them come through under the following two merchant names:

Amazon MKTPLACE PMTS
Amazon. COM AMZN.COM/BILL

All of these were coded as BOOK STORES no matter what I actually bought. The only matching V/MC MCC is 5942 for this category. I have not used the Marvel MC as yet at Amazon

If anyone has a charge that is listed as one of these two merchants that did not get 3%, please advise. If anyone has another V/MC Amazon transaction that is listed differently and doesn't get 3%, please advise the details.

Rasheed

The question is if the Marvel card is giving the 3% cashback to MCC 5942 (which is mostly Amazon as well) or 5192 (which is "Books, Periodicals, and Newspapers" but doesn't cover Amazon)? 

galandy said:   

The question is if the Marvel card is giving the 3% cashback to MCC 5942 (which is mostly Amazon as well) or 5192 (which is "Books, Periodicals, and Newspapers" but doesn't cover Amazon )? 

There is a decent chance that all three MCC codes are included (5192, 5942, 5994). I think we all understand that this was to give 3% on places that sell comic books (the whole start of this Marvel stuff). All three MCC represent merchants that would have business with comic books. I've only tested one (5994) and confirmed it is included. Others need to report back on the other two categories.

Rasheed 

Skipping 8 Messages...
The sad times being what they are, I may actually get this card. Now that Forward is gone, it's a little bit better than my standard 2% Priceline. On the other hand, not sure that it's worth another hard pull.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017