AMEX Platinum 75K MR points, $200 Airline bonus, etc., $3K spend required, open to all

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Co-branded Mercedes Platinum.  Bonus is available even if you have already received a Platinum bonus.  Amex considers co-branded cards to be separate products:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/personal-card/012/...

$475 annual fee.  Good luck!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Please let us know what you find. If nothing comes up, I'll just bring coworkers or random strangers into the Delta loun... (more)

doveroftke (Jan. 04, 2017 @ 11:43a) |

Received a targeted 150,000 point offer for the business platinum. $20k spend in 3 months. Also 1.5 points for any charg... (more)

bbr (Jan. 13, 2017 @ 3:57p) |

No, they have done 150k in the past, mostly targeted though.  The only offer that competes with the 150k is a targeted o... (more)

dukerau (Jan. 13, 2017 @ 4:17p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not open to all .  You will not receive MR bonus if you ever have done this Amex Platinum bonus offer before.

sloppy1 said:   Not open to all .  You will not receive MR bonus if you ever have done this Amex Platinum bonus offer before.

Open to all in that no invitation is needed.  An invite is typically needed for the high MR Platinum offers.

Right, if you've had the Mercedes co-branded Platinum card in the past you will likely not qualify for this offer.  If you've had other Platinum cards you will qualify.

If there is additional spoon-feeding that you require in terms of understanding how to play this game, please feel free to reply.

If you're only going to keep the card for 1 year, you can get 2x airline reimbursements.

stanolshefski said:   If you're only going to keep the card for 1 year, you can get 2x airline reimbursements.

As I understand the $200 airline reimbursement is per calendar year. So 2x$200 = $400 recoups most of the annual fee of $475.
Anyone know what nominal income is required to qualify?

fwuser12 said:   
stanolshefski said:   If you're only going to keep the card for 1 year, you can get 2x airline reimbursements.
  As I understand the $200 airline reimbursement is per calendar year. So 2x$200 = $400 recoups most of the annual fee of $475.

There's probably no minimum income. Ability to repay and desire to pay a $450 annual fee are pretty much the requirements -- with a sufficiently high enough credit score.

fwuser12 said:   

What kind of things we can get reimbursement for?

TIA

It's going to go by your score and the normal income/debt ratios.

confused200 said:   
fwuser12 said:   

What kind of things we can get reimbursement for?

TIA

See Flyertalk for fhe airline of your choice. GCs are the way to go, unless you already pay for bag fees.

Tempting, wish it was 100k points. I am on the edge. Too greedy? lol

protrek said:   Tempting, wish it was 100k points. I am on the edge. Too greedy? lol
  Not too greedy.  I prefer the 2015 deal with 450 annual fee and 25k membership reward points and annual fees waived....
  That was a much better deal plus the extra benefits of occasional AMEX Sync offers for extra discounts.
  The current deal is only good if you can sell the MR points for more than $0.0125 each or if you fly the participating airlines....
  To me that's too much of a hassle but YMMV.

Anyone actually use these Mercedes-Benz perks. Wonder if they negate USAA discount or good negotiation on a CLA 250 or transferable?? 

Receive a $1000 certificate each year you charge $5,000 in purchases, good toward the future purchase or lease of a new Mercedes-Benz

needhelpplease said:   Anyone actually use these Mercedes-Benz perks. Wonder if they negate USAA discount or good negotiation on a CLA 250 or transferable?? 

Receive a $1000 certificate each year you charge $5,000 in purchases, good toward the future purchase or lease of a new Mercedes-Benz

I read it as $1,000, if earned, for entering into a lease, though it looks like the standard lease term is 36 months or longer. Lowest cost advertised is about $330 per month with $3,500 down. The $1,000 then seems like a drop in the bucket.

anyone who have an existing platinum charge card was able to apply for this and get it approved?

View said:   
protrek said:   Tempting, wish it was 100k points. I am on the edge. Too greedy? lol
  Not too greedy.  I prefer the 2015 deal with 450 annual fee and 25k membership reward points and annual fees waived....
  That was a much better deal plus the extra benefits of occasional AMEX Sync offers for extra discounts.
  The current deal is only good if you can sell the MR points for more than $0.0125 each or if you fly the participating airlines....
  To me that's too much of a hassle but YMMV.

You might want to check your math before discouraging others to apply:

75K MR points = $750 in gift cards to Home depot, etc.  These can be monetized if you like.

$200 annual airline bonus x 2 before the next annual fee is due = $400.  This can easily be turned into very useful gift cards, google is your friend.

$1150 in value - $475 annual fee = $675 net value.  I'll take that any time I can get it in a credit card sign-up.

By the same arithmetic, your deal is 25K MR points + $400 airline bonus = $650 in net value.  So, this deal is slightly better.

If you follow AMEX MR deals, this is a great one and seldom seen.  The fact that it's a co-branded card and therefore available even if you've already got (or had) another Platinum card makes it a no-brainer.

Good luck!

RagingBull said:   anyone who have an existing platinum charge card was able to apply for this and get it approved?

Yep, for both me and the wife.  AMEX has them over-nighted to you after approval.

The $199/year fee for up to 3 AU's is not waived with this offer, correct? I want a card that reimburses my entire family's GE/TSA Precheck $100/person fee, which, with an Amex Platinum, requires each family member to be an AU.

SangioveseW said:   The $199/year fee for up to 3 AU's is not waived with this offer, correct? I want a card that reimburses my entire family's GE/TSA Precheck $100/person fee, which, with an Amex Platinum, requires each family member to be an AU.

You can get the Ameriprise Amex Plat.  It has no signup bonus currently, but you can get up to 3 AU cards for free, and the annual fee is waived for the first year.

daw4888 said:   
SangioveseW said:   The $199/year fee for up to 3 AU's is not waived with this offer, correct? I want a card that reimburses my entire family's GE/TSA Precheck $100/person fee, which, with an Amex Platinum, requires each family member to be an AU.

You can get the Ameriprise Amex Plat.  It has no signup bonus currently, but you can get up to 3 AU cards for free, and the annual fee is waived for the first year.

Right, this is exactly what I'm planning on doing. 

There are a number of people saying that this is available even if you've had an Amex Platinum before. Anyone know if it works the other way around? Haven't worked around to Amex Platinum, so I'd want to go with this only if the Amex Platinum reward is available in the future.

Yes, this is a totally different product masteraleph. One has no bearing on the other.

in for 2, approved, have regular platinum already

got a call from AMEX to upgrade my gold AME to Platinum for $150 . $50K MR points for $10K spend plus the usual platinum benefits (lounge, $200 credit etc).
No hard CC pull automatic approval. I bit

too bad the annual fee is so much at $475

did you all get instant approval or did you have to call in after applying to verify information?

I always lease Mercedes C class and enjoy employee discount thanks to my childhood friend of almost 30 years. I also don't travel much for vacation. I am always on business trips but I am on company dime so I don't need any travel extras. For a guy like me, is this a good card? I am currently on Amex Blue Preferred with 45K limit.

Newyorker1905 said:   I always lease Mercedes C class and enjoy employee discount thanks to my childhood friend of almost 30 years. I also don't travel much for vacation. I am always on business trips but I am on company dime so I don't need any travel extras. For a guy like me, is this a good card? I am currently on Amex Blue Preferred with 45K limit.
  Sure seems that way.  You'd actually take advantage of the $1000 lease bonus (most people are doing this without using that).

instant approve, thanks OP!

Also includes $100 credit towards MB accessories purchased at the dealership. Per the fine print on the offer site:
You can earn a $100 certificate to be used towards the purchase of Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories (not parts or service) after the first eligible purchase is charged to your Mercedes-Benz Card account during your first year of Card Membership.

There are a few sub-$100 things listed on their site that would be useful or could be easily resold.

awesome. I was considering upgrading PRG to the normal plat for 50k.
this is much better. thx

doveroftke said:   Also includes $100 credit towards MB accessories purchased at the dealership. Per the fine print on the offer site:
You can earn a $100 certificate to be used towards the purchase of Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories (not parts or service) after the first eligible purchase is charged to your Mercedes-Benz Card account during your first year of Card Membership.

There are a few sub-$100 things listed on their site that would be useful or could be easily resold.

They had a backpack that I'm pretty happy with, and was worth a visit to the dealer to pick it up for free.

tim1 said:   
doveroftke said:   Also includes $100 credit towards MB accessories purchased at the dealership. Per the fine print on the offer site:

They had a backpack that I'm pretty happy with, and was worth a visit to the dealer to pick it up for free.

What is the website where you can buy MB Accessories?  Or did you just go to the dealer and pick what ever accessory they had in stock?

dpid said:   
tim1 said:   

What is the website where you can buy MB Accessories?  Or did you just go to the dealer and pick what ever accessory they had in stock?

You can see them at www.mbusa.com/mercedes/accessories, but to use the certificate you have the make the purchase in-person at a dealer. I'm sure the dealer would be happy to order anything they don't have in stock.

Super hot for military since the annual fee can be waived. Anyone know if they also waive the fee for military spouses? Google searching is coming up short and I haven't had time to try calling.

Does the $475 AF count towards 3k spend?

tim1 said:   

which one did you get?

http://accessories.mbusa.com/Accessories/Accessories-Travel/

I got the Checkpoint computer backpack which is the only backpack this dealer had in the display case. http://accessories.mbusa.com/Accessories/Accessories-Travel-Bags... It's supposed to be for 15" laptops but I was able to fit a Alienware 17r3 just barely will still zip up. TSA compatible but, since this card gave us Free Global entry which comes with TSA precheck you don't have to unzip the bag for TSA.

tim1 said:   I got the Checkpoint computer backpack which is the only backpack this dealer had in the display case. http://accessories.mbusa.com/Accessories/Accessories-Travel-Bags... It's supposed to be for 15" laptops but I was able to fit a Alienware 17r3 just barely will still zip up. TSA compatible but, since this card gave us Free Global entry which comes with TSA precheck you don't have to unzip the bag for TSA.
  Does the backpack have a sternum strap? I can't tell by the pictures on the webpage.  I crashed my bike the other day and my backpack is all torn up so I'm in the market for another back pack.

diffeldoof said:   Super hot for military since the annual fee can be waived. Anyone know if they also waive the fee for military spouses? Google searching is coming up short and I haven't had time to try calling.
How do you do this? Send them a copy of your cac?

Skipping 70 Messages...
bbr said:   Received a targeted 150,000 point offer for the business platinum. $20k spend in 3 months. Also 1.5 points for any charge over $5k. $450 annual fee.

Is this the first time they have offered 150k?

No, they have done 150k in the past, mostly targeted though.  The only offer that competes with the 150k is a targeted offer some received mid-2016 that was 50k for $5k spend in 3 months + 20k points for each purchase of >= $5k, max 10 times.  So that offer was 250k for $55k spend, and it was before the 1.5 points for purchases >= $5k.  Overall, I think the 150k offer is the best.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017