• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was denied a return (within 5 days of purchase) because I used store credit to pay for a portion of the amount.
I had the receipt and the product was unopened.
Is this normal?
 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Had similar issues with Home depot returning a battery operated Dewalt Trimmer with reciept. I tried to return the item ... (more)

kilacam19 (May. 26, 2016 @ 10:15a) |

well they have their memorial day special on paint right now and you can' t return paint. So thats good right?

rufflesinc (May. 26, 2016 @ 10:18a) |

Not sure this is worth it's own thread, and maybe it's already been posted, but HomeDepot.com no longer accepts store cr... (more)

nergui77 (Jul. 24, 2016 @ 4:36p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You can probably exchange it(and possibly get another store credit) but not get a cash refund. As an opposite example, I exchanged an item without a receipt a couple weeks ago (it was under $10).

Tell the entire story. If you give them your ID then you can return it. If you have done many returns like this previously then you will be denied.

The Retail Equation is a punk

tellthegreat said:   Tell the entire story. If you give them your ID then you can return it. If you have done many returns like this previously then you will be denied.
  Yes  - I have done too many returns.  I am getting some work done and I don't know anything about home stuff.
  So I buy stuff, bring it to the contractor and return what he does not need.

  But I still don't get why they would refuse a return with a receipt withing 5 day.  I understand I don't get cash (duh).  I expect to get store credit.
  

Did you buy the credit from the internet? They don't allow return of those.
Did you return a lot? They don't like that either.
See the thread in Deal Discussion

How much was the item? Try to return without a receipt?

Take it back to Lowe's (if they have it) with no receipt, get store credit.

Also, tell your contractor to make the supply runs himself. Your "system" sounds like a waste of time.

By the way, the product was unopened. (It was a laser distance measure).

And no - I did not buy the credit from internet. It is my own purchase.

And after many arguments in the evening with DW, the store manager accepted the return.
She left in a huff.
At home, when we checked the return receipt, it seems the store manager processed the return as "no receipt" and gave only the last clearance price of $29.9x

I am ticked off...but there is a lesson learned for me.

Sorry - I don't mean this to be my blog.
I just wanted to let others know but it seems that only I didn't know about this return policy.

So you got a contractor who doesn't carry his own laser distance measuring gadget.

Anyway, the Retail Equasion and cameras at eye level every where in the store is enot for me to bypass HD and goto Menards instead, even if it means driving extra few miles. Love Menards receipt lookup Kiosks. No need to worry about the lost receipts as long as paid with a cc.

No no - the laser measure was for me.
He had it and I thought it was quite cool. So I ordered it.
Later on, sanity prevailed and I realized I don't have any good use for it.

The stuff I have returned is bath tub hoses etc.

your bathtub is connected with a hose? Is your name Bill and do you live in the hills by any chance?

I stopped buying discount HD GCs for this very reason... I HATE making ten trips to HD for supplies.. I bring the box truck, fill it with everything I am going to need, and return the extras at the end.

Once, I returned an item that I paid for by credit card and Home Depot gave me store credit. Although the balance was under $10, they would not exchange the gift card for cash either. Customer service used to be important to them but now it's all about profit.

ssgcinty said:   By the way, the product was unopened. (It was a laser distance measure).

And no - I did not buy the credit from internet. It is my own purchase.

And after many arguments in the evening with DW, the store manager accepted the return.
She left in a huff.
At home, when we checked the return receipt, it seems the store manager processed the return as "no receipt" and gave only the last clearance price of $29.9x

I am ticked off...but there is a lesson learned for me.

Sorry - I don't mean this to be my blog.
I just wanted to let others know but it seems that only I didn't know about this return policy.

wait...they didn't give you the full amount of the purchase? 

Yeah because the manager couldn't override Retail Equation. So he did it as a return w/out receipt w/ the wifes drivers license. If he did it with the receipt it would have known he purchased it....

Home Depot tracks returns (started this after many people (crooks) took advantage of their extremely generous return policy) and you got caught in their net.

From my limited experience, Home Depot has a pretty low threshold for allowing returns that require an identification (like returns with no receipts and items purchased with gift cards even if you have a receipt). I don't know what Home Depot's exact criteria are to start rejecting returns, but I suspect it has to do with number of returns within a certain period regardless of the dollar value. I may have made 10-20 ID-required returns of under $20 over a year's period when I got stopped. I also ended up getting other family members to make the return with their IDs with no problem.

I still don't understand - I have a receipt; the product is unopened; I am returning within 5 days.
What is Home Depot's problem?
How am I abusing their system?

Not only did they give me huge amount of grief, they also cheated me and gave only $30 instead of $55. (Shame on DW for not noticing it.)
It is just $25 bucks but sooo ticked off at home depot.

I regret posting the deal about Amex rewards HD Gift card sale at 1.33cpm yesterday.

Matr0skin said:   your bathtub is connected with a hose? Is your name Bill and do you live in the hills by any chance?
  
You don't have a Maytag "bathtub"? Every bath is like a trip to the amusement park. Just beware of the agitator.

ssgcinty said:   I still don't understand - I have a receipt; the product is unopened; I am returning within 5 days.
What is Home Depot's problem?
How am I abusing their system?

Not only did they give me huge amount of grief, they also cheated me and gave only $30 instead of $55. (Shame on DW for not noticing it.)
It is just $25 bucks but sooo ticked off at home depot.

I regret posting the deal about Amex rewards HD Gift card sale at 1.33cpm yesterday.

  
You aren't abusing the system. Home Depot is just like one of those women who lets guys walk all over her for years, and then finally snaps and goes to the other extreme of hating every man. They don't seem to realize it's possible to find some middle ground where you don't treat everyone like crap, but don't let everyone walk all over you either.

I'm glad you posted that deal...thanks for that. I sort of hate HD, and would much rather shop at Menards (not really a fan of Lowes), but HD gift card deals are so plentiful (whereas menards deals are nonexistent) and they match Menards 11% rebates, so I begrudgingly do most of my shopping there.
 

ssgcinty said:   I still don't understand - I have a receipt; the product is unopened; I am returning within 5 days.
What is Home Depot's problem?
How am I abusing their system?
 

When you return, they have to put the extra labor into the actual refund process, then they have to make sure it is truly unaltered (people run return scams all the time), then put it back on their shelves. If even sightly opened, they probably have to sell it at a discount. For things like hoses where they can't guarantee it is still fine, they might have to throw them away.

They don't mind doing this every so often, but it sounds like you were returning stuff constantly, your value as a customer went down.

ssgcinty said:   I still don't understand - I have a receipt; the product is unopened; I am returning within 5 days.
What is Home Depot's problem?
How am I abusing their system?

Not only did they give me huge amount of grief, they also cheated me and gave only $30 instead of $55. (Shame on DW for not noticing it.)
It is just $25 bucks but sooo ticked off at home depot.

I regret posting the deal about Amex rewards HD Gift card sale at 1.33cpm yesterday.

  
At HD, returns paid with gift cards/store credit get processed the same as a "no receipt" return (that's why they ask for your drivers license). "No receipt" returns run through a third party which uses your drivers license info along with other information to determine if you're a "return abuser", if that's the case then you're denied the ability to return the item(s).

Who knows why HD has chosen to run store credit paid return through as no receipt. Lowes doesn't do that.

I don't purchase HD GCs anymore for this exact reason.

ssgcinty said:   I was denied a return (within 5 days of purchase) because I used store credit to pay for a portion of the amount.
I had the receipt and the product was unopened. Is this normal?

 
ssgcinty said:   Yes  - I have done too many returns.  I am getting some work done and I don't know anything about home stuff. So I buy stuff, bring it to the contractor and return what he does not need. But I still don't get why they would refuse a return with a receipt withing 5 day.  I understand I don't get cash (duh).  I expect to get store credit.
 
ssgcinty said:   By the way, the product was unopened. (It was a laser distance measure). And no - I did not buy the credit from internet. It is my own purchase. And after many arguments in the evening with DW, the store manager accepted the return.
She left in a huff. At home, when we checked the return receipt, it seems the store manager processed the return as "no receipt" and gave only the last clearance price of $29.9x. I am ticked off...but there is a lesson learned for me. Sorry - I don't mean this to be my blog.
I just wanted to let others know but it seems that only I didn't know about this return policy.


It's just the people who abuse the system that gain insight into the limits of the return policy.

  1. You bought merchandise. You didn't use a credit card or the Home Depot Consumer Credit Card.
  2. You returned merchandise.
  3. You received store credit for the merchandise. So you either returned the merchandise without receipt, or outside of their 90 day return window (expired receipt), or returned merchandise purchased with a gift card or store credit.
  4. You bought "new" merchandise with the store credit. (And who hasn't wanted to impulse buy a laser distance measurement device, especially when they don't "know anything about home stuff".)
  5. You wanted to return the "new" merchandise for "new" store credit.
  6. Home Depot gave you the middle finger.


You create a lot of work for Home Depot with no "new money" entering the equation. If you are indeed innocent, then the solution is rather simple:

1. Make your purchases with a Credit Card. You have 90 days for returns. They can look up the purchase in their system in case you have "misplaced" the receipt. They will issue credit to the credit card you used.
OR 2. Get a Home Depot Consumer Credit Card. You have 365 days for returns. They will issue credit to the card.
AND 3. Stop being the "contractor's bitch" (or stop calling your significant other a Contractor ).

I stopped purchasing things at Home Depot because of this. We already have quite an extensive thread on the topic: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1158166/

NotSoHard said:   
AND 3. Stop being the "contractor's bitch" (or stop calling your significant other a Contractor ).

Busted !!! 

Thank you for the link to the thread. This topic was discussed in detail.  I think I was late to the party.
 

And another bit of datum OP provided. The item being returned was on CLEARANCE. So it wasn't new either.

Huh? No it was not clearance.
I bought it full price on HomeDepot.com

The *#@*@#$@*$# manager gave me lower (I assume clearance) price for some reason and DW did not notice it.

vegas4x4 said:   At HD, returns paid with gift cards/store credit get processed the same as a "no receipt" return (that's why they ask for your drivers license). "No receipt" returns run through a third partyYeah, if you pay with any Home Depot gift card(not just somewhat more "sketchy" store credit), you might as well just throw away your receipt b/c that is how you are treated even when you return something in brand new condition. 

Sometimes it depends on the employee. Before all the new stuff years ago I had a bunch of items to return. Cashier didn't want to return it and wanted to give "last sale price". Gave her a stack of receipts said to go through it, and all of a sudden "never mind I'll give you full credit just this once". Never an issue after that or before that. Just that one rep.

Actually, I had a similar issue with HD just yesterday.  Two days ago I bought (with a credit card) a set of drill bits: the super-hard-cuts-diamond kinda bits that are real expensive.  About $50 for the set.  The first time I used one, it snapped off.  I used several others, and they all seemed like they wouldn't cut.  So I took the set back yesterday, and the return girl says she has to get someone from tools to take a look.  Guy comes from tools dept, looks at the set, and says it's clear that I abused them and he won't take them back.  Wha? :-0

Just to recap:
* purchased with a credit card
* returned with a receipt because obviously (to me) faulty
* HD refused to take the return.  Period
* HD's published return policy - which I won't bother pasting here - says absolutely NOTHING about them refusing a return because they think the item was abused.  Nothing.

So the girl asks if I wanna see the manager.  At first I said "Yes; absolutely!", and she starts to call.  Then I said  "You know what?  forget it.  I'll just come back tomorrow when someone else is here."

Which I did.  Returned today with no issues.  They must have had the beeyotch squad on duty yesterday.  F-you, Home Depot.

kenblakely said:   Actually, I had a similar issue with HD just yesterday.  Two days ago I bought (with a credit card) a set of drill bits: the super-hard-cuts-diamond kinda bits that are real expensive.  About $50 for the set.  The first time I used one, it snapped off.  I used several others, and they all seemed like they wouldn't cut.  So I took the set back yesterday, and the return girl says she has to get someone from tools to take a look.  Guy comes from tools dept, looks at the set, and says it's clear that I abused them and he won't take them back.  Wha? :-0

Just to recap:
* purchased with a credit card
* returned with a receipt because obviously (to me) faulty
* HD refused to take the return.  Period
* HD's published return policy - which I won't bother pasting here - says absolutely NOTHING about them refusing a return because they think the item was abused.  Nothing.

So the girl asks if I wanna see the manager.  At first I said "Yes; absolutely!", and she starts to call.  Then I said  "You know what?  forget it.  I'll just come back tomorrow when someone else is here."

Which I did.  Returned today with no issues.  They must have had the beeyotch squad on duty yesterday.  F-you, Home Depot.

  Yes, this happens a lot at HD.  However, I remember many times in the 90's seeing "contractors" taking back obviously used tools and claiming they were defective and getting their money back.  HD also had a big problem with shoplifting where crooks would take stuff and then return them at a different store.  I talked to a plumbing dept. HD guy and he told me that they would come into the store and grab the most expensive faucets (new in box) and then run out the door by the lumber department. He said the faucets would then turn up as returns which HD gave cash at that time.  It was well known that HD had the most generous return policy and now it is one of the worst.

So HD is punishing its loyal and lawful customers instead of preventing thefts.
Way to go HD !!

I hate HD for a similar reason. I buy HD gift cards from grocery stores when they are on the 5% rotating categories.

*Every* time that I had to return something that I bought with those gift cards, *with receipt, unopened*, they always require an ID.

This is because the refund from a GC purchase goes back to store credit. And the only way they can give store credit is the same way they do returns without receipt!

I have brought this to the managers attention many times. That I don't want to be flagged in their system as someone who returns without receipts just because I paid using a gift card. They agree with my logic but apparently their hands are tied.

Probably worth doing an EECB.

If anyone buys HD gift cards at their local grocery store and purchases something with your and then returns it with the reciept you will eventually (2-3 times) be banned for doing returns at Home Depot and since The Retail Equation is used by other companies you may be banned at other stores for returns as well.

summary- go to Lowe's or Menard.  Home Depot is not about customer service anymore.

kenblakely said:   
So the girl asks if I wanna see the manager.  At first I said "Yes; absolutely!", and she starts to call.  Then I said  "You know what?  forget it.  I'll just come back tomorrow when someone else is here."

Which I did.  Returned today with no issues.  They must have had the beeyotch squad on duty yesterday.  F-you, Home Depot.

Did you mention her name to the manager and post a review at HD's website, including the refusal to refund?  BTW don't mention the employee who gave you the return -- the "no good deed goes unpunished" rule. I would have asked the tool dept. guy to try out the drill bits the same way you did.  
 

Time to short HD?

ssgcinty said:   No no - the laser measure was for me.
He had it and I thought it was quite cool. So I ordered it.
Later on, sanity prevailed and I realized I don't have any good use for it.
 

  Right, a tape measure is simpler an safer for measuring that.

I haven't had an issue with my returns bought by gift cards. I just get a store credit back. I've done it ~3 times in the past month (bathroom remodel)? I hope I don't get put on the list... How many times has the OP returned in the past year?

Skipping 19 Messages...
Not sure this is worth it's own thread, and maybe it's already been posted, but HomeDepot.com no longer accepts store credit as a payment method. They've changed their policy as of June 30 2016. So even if you have a physical store credit, and on the back side it says "Valid ... online at HomeDepot.com ", they won't accept it. You can only use it at a B&M location.

They probably should have grandfathered in any store credits issued prior to June 30, or at least any that still say "Valid ... online at HomeDepot.com " on them. But they didn't.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017