Amazon Digital Credit (using Prime with slow shipping)

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I didn't realize this was a thing until maybe 2 months ago. I used to place about $2000~$10,000 worth of items on Amazon per year because of the new small electronics like hdmi cables, and random snacks, and some larger ones like camera lenses,etc....

but last month, i started ordering 1 thing per order, and for each order, i was able to get $1 Amazon digital credit...

so after 2 months of placing random cheap orders, and ordering everything with slow shipping, i was able to get back around $200 in Amazon digital credit, which i then used to purchase 2x $100 league of legends riot digital library gift card, which i then sold to a kid in starbucks for $150...

this $150 covered my Amazon student prime ($50/year), and i got $100 extra in cash.... not too shabby. so now, i'm basically "making" money as i order things from Amazon haha

so i guess the lesson here is to place your orders separately, and this credit can add up to "gift cards" or "xbox live cards" or "ps3 gold" which can easily be sold to kids+their parents.

orders placed in past 30 days: http://i.imgur.com/PHEH993.png 
just a lot of emails telling me about benefit: http://i.imgur.com/KqqbXH6.png 
how much i have again: http://i.imgur.com/rXLh1an.png (will be waiting until i can get to $100 credit again before i buy this and resell it for.... well... profit...)

**** most important thing i forgot to mention is that i get most of the "random* items for a fraction of their cost from review sites like snagshout and ilovetoreivew**** 
see this picture: http://i.imgur.com/vfdhhcD.png 

[l=cash out using digital gift cards: ...]http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-Digital-Game-Down...[/l] 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Pardon me while I go look out my window too see if any pigs are flying. What next? A courtesy/account credit page? What'... (more)

fivetalents (Dec. 12, 2016 @ 12:35p) |

lol, God only knows what Amazon is thinking.

Used prime to ship a case for my phone (FBA) on Saturday, it will not arrive... (more)

vrb747 (Dec. 12, 2016 @ 12:39p) |

And here is where you can see all of your credits:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_354053122_1?...

jess888 (Dec. 12, 2016 @ 2:56p) |

what's bad about pantry credit is that they do NOT stack, and each pantry order has a minimum of $5.99 price. 

eg
if you use a pantry credit, and your item is only $2.19, your total will still be $5.99+tax.

if you use a pantry credit, and your item total is $4.38, your total will still be $5.99+tax

if you use pantry credit, and your item total is $8.76, your total will be $8.76+tax
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

darkxkiller said:   
so after 2 months of placing random cheap orders, and ordering everything with slow shipping

what do you mean by random? Are you buying stuff you wouldn't buy otherwise just for the digital credit?

T

This is very old news.

rufflesinc said:   
darkxkiller said:   
so after 2 months of placing random cheap orders, and ordering everything with slow shipping

what do you mean by random? Are you buying stuff you wouldn't buy otherwise just for the digital credit?

T

well i signed up for ilovetoreivew website and snagshout and amzreviewtrader, and a lot of sellers are offering things for pennies or even FREE... so it's random things but with an review i technically earn $1 credit from Amazon

like this type of thing: http://i.imgur.com/vfdhhcD.png

I notice that Amazon takes away the digital $1 offer from time to time and replaces it with Prime Pantry. I too put in a lot of orders because of reviews. But man, committing to 200 reviews a month is nuts. I'm having a hard time with 40 a month.

Have you run into the Prime Pantry ordeal? I was thinking that they temporarily take that offer away from me when I use it too much, but maybe it's something else.

How do you get the credit? I've made prime orders but have never received Amazon credit for it. Edit: oh, you get credit for choosing slow shipping!

I've only done a couple of prime trials, but the credit has been offered as a shipping option. If you'll opt for non-prime shipping, you can get the credit.

What's a good way to cash out Amazon credit?

Be aware these credits expire sooner than you may expect.

princesspool said:   What's a good way to cash out Amazon credit?

i cash out using http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-Digital-Game-Down...

any of these digital gift card cards can be resold easily and fairly quickly

poof

Never knew the credit could be used on virtual GCs - news to me.

This seems really bad for the environment. I thought Prime was bad enough since it made bundling purchases unnecessary. This takes it to a whole new level by actually incentivizing the complete opposite!

ndz said:   Be aware these credits expire sooner than you may expect.
  yes this is very very true.

my credits that were added today expire:

You are receiving this credit because you selected No-Rush Shipping on your recent Prime order. You can use this $1 credit towards eligible Kindle Books, Amazon Appstore apps, Amazon Music downloads, digital video game or software downloads, or the rental or purchase of eligible movies or TV shows from Amazon Video. To redeem your $1 credit, log on to Amazon.com or open the relevant app on your smart phone, tablet, e-reader, TV or streaming device. Click “Buy” or “Rent” on an eligible item and we’ll automatically apply the credit at checkout.

The promotional credit must be used by July 31, 2016. This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.

Thanks again for shopping with us.

libralibra said:   This seems really bad for the environment. I thought Prime was bad enough since it made bundling purchases unnecessary. This takes it to a whole new level by actually incentivizing the complete opposite!
  Where possible, on orders placed around the same time, I believe Amazon will still bundle together multiple items in a shipment. But yes it does seem like a strange incentive. I had assumed the number of credits was already somehow limited since I don't always see it but evidently not per account if it's possible to churn it this much.

libralibra said:   This seems really bad for the environment. I thought Prime was bad enough since it made bundling purchases unnecessary. This takes it to a whole new level by actually incentivizing the complete opposite!
I second that. I know this is not in the line of maximizing money, but you're getting 200 boxes shipped to your home for no good reason? At least recycle them.

canoeguy1 said:   
I second that. I know this is not in the line of maximizing money, but you're getting 200 boxes shipped to your home for no good reason? At least recycle them.

Amazon does a pretty good job bundling them actually. i ONLY get 3-5 boxes per week, each box has like 2-17!! items. yes they stuff 17 different things like chargers, phone cases, 2 cans of pringles, some body scrub... they have weird and strange way of bundling things together. and i do cut, fold and recycle all my boxes properly.

Quite the opposite, my experience has been that by selecting the slow shipping, what Amazon is actually doing is waiting to see if I place additional orders over the next few days and after a few orders they end up shipping all of them together and by choosing slow shipping we are allowing them to bundle the shipments...

crazypalooza said:   
  Quite the opposite, my experience has been that by selecting the slow shipping, what Amazon is actually doing is waiting to see if I place additional orders over the next few days and after a few orders they end up shipping all of them together and by choosing slow shipping we are allowing them to bundle the shipments...

This is pretty similar to what I do. Order some items with no-rush and 1 item with 2 day and 9 times out of 10, everything comes 2 day together.

In my experience, separate orders within a few days of each other may be sent in the same box. Not really gonna hurt the environment...

just an update on 2 gift cards i purchased today: http://imgur.com/T93hreP.jpg $120 total collected

Is there a easy way to discover what your total credits of this type are? The only way I have found is to place an order, and then look at the order to see if it was covered by the credits.  If it is not covered by the credits, cancel it immediately.

ProfessorEd said:   Is there a easy way to discover what your total credits of this type are? The only way I have found is to place an order, andhen look at the order to see if it was covered by the credits.  If it is not covered by the credits, cancel it immediately.
  Click on the "Check Your Balance" button here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000811661#gc

stanolshefski said:   
ProfessorEd said:   Is there a easy way to discover what your total credits of this type are? The only way I have found is to place an order, andhen look at the order to see if it was covered by the credits.  If it is not covered by the credits, cancel it immediately.

Like ProfessorEd, I had not been able to find how to check the digital credit balance using any menus or links. The only thing close was a Help link for the "No-Rush" shipping option, but that was only a brief explanation that did not link to the page with the Check Your Balance button.

Thanks for the above link, but do you know how to actually navigate to that page?

Revike said:   
stanolshefski said:   

Like ProfessorEd, I had not been able to find how to check the digital credit balance using any menus or links. The only thing close was a Help link for the "No-Rush" shipping option, but that was only a brief explanation that did not link to the page with the Check Your Balance button.

Thanks for the above link, but do you know how to actually navigate to that page?

I always Google "check Amazon credit balance" to get there.  

that link works wonders, but most of the time, i just add http://www.amazon.com/League-Legends-100-Gift-Card/dp/B0153X7HKY... into my cart, and then go to the check out page, it will allow me to see the credit as well.

is there a safe way to sell the game gift cards?
it is very easy to get scammed as they are digital and eBay does not give you protection.

doctorman said:   is there a safe way to sell the game gift cards?
it is very easy to get scammed as they are digital and eBay does not give you protection.

i list them on college free/for sale groups and pages, and I also list them on craigslist. aka I only do in person transactions for these things (cash only).

but this is much easier for me because I currently reside in NYC, so there are a lot of students

so you transfer the credits to them? how?

darkxkiller said:   
it is very easy to get scammed as they are digital and eBay does not give you protection.

i list them on college free/for sale groups and pages, and I also list them on craigslist. aka I only do in person transactions for these things (cash only).

but this is much easier for me because I currently reside in NYC, so there are a lot of students

so you transfer the credit to them? how?

doctorman said:   
darkxkiller said:   

so you transfer the credit to them? how?

use this link: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-Digital-Game-Down... 

and you can buy any of the gift cards there. i just sold my $70 microsoft credit to someone for $50 on a facebook group last week. person was able to redeem it in front of me on his phone

I think I've accumulated a few credits from choosing slow shipping but they end up expiring on me. Usually my desire for instant gratification has me choosing the 2 day shipping (the whole point of Prime) like the replacement wall wart for my router that I kinda needed in a hurry. I ordered it last Friday, the post office delivered it on Sunday. Hell, the postal truck drove by on Memorial Day and I could see the Amazon boxes stacked up through the window.

as an update to this, i havn't been getting any digital credits for about 2 days now.

every order i place now gives me the $5.99 pantry delivery credit!!

darkxkiller said:   as an update to this, i havn't been getting any digital credits for about 2 days now.

Maybe they only allow that option so many times in a given time period, how many times have you used it in the last 30-60 days?.  I ordered two items on Friday and one yesterday and all 3 qualified for the $1 digital credit for slow shipping (which I selected).  None of the items have shipped yet, so I haven't gotten the credit yet and I have never seen anything about a pantry delivery credit on my order page (yet).

For those who use the digital credits for ebooks, note that they do not apply to all ebooks anymore. The books have to be sold by "Amazon Digital Services". A lot of the big publishers now sell on Amazon (meaning they set their own prices). It will show as "sold by" Random House or HarperCollins instead. You can't use digital credits for those. It started sometime last year but I didn't notice until now that my credits were expiring unused since most books I purchased are sold by a major publisher.

Snezz said:   For those who use the digital credits for ebooks, note that they do not apply to all ebooks anymore. The books have to be sold by "Amazon Digital Services". A lot of the big publishers now sell on Amazon (meaning they set their own prices). It will show as "sold by" Random House or HarperCollins instead. You can't use digital credits for those. It started sometime last year but I didn't notice until now that my credits were expiring unused since most books I purchased are sold by a major publisher.

Which is one reason I read far less of the major publishers these days.  They fought to control the pricing of their books and not allow discounting and Amazon was the biggest discounter at the time before Agency Pricing.

Agency Pricing gets mainly overturned so now they cut a deal to "own" the sales on Amazon.  I have shifted to more independent authors for a majority of my leisure reading -- considering that the "majors" take a year to publish anything due to their edit/copy-edit/edit/approve/revise/final-edit process I was tired of getting a book a year from even the more prolific authors.  There are some authors I will always buy, and I still look at their new authors at least once.  I don't buy NEARLY as often at a $9.99 price point for an e-book as I used to though.  (and some houses are particularly bad at e-pub or resist ever lowering prices even after paperback is out -- Scholastic is about the worst at it...)

I used to hang out with a lot of the publishers and editors, even they hate the system.  It justifies their margin and payroll though, so the big 5 will continue to resist reform.

AverageGuy09 said:   
darkxkiller said:   as an update to this, i havn't been getting any digital credits for about 2 days now.

Maybe they only allow that option so many times in a given time period, how many times have you used it in the last 30-60 days?.  I ordered two items on Friday and one yesterday and all 3 qualified for the $1 digital credit for slow shipping (which I selected).  None of the items have shipped yet, so I haven't gotten the credit yet and I have never seen anything about a pantry delivery credit on my order page (yet).

total orders in the past 60 days... this number may scare you. 142 orders placed in the last 60 days.

and 646 orders placed in the past 6 months

total digital credit received = $462 digital credit

@OP so are you buying random things or things you actually need?

ahcool said:   
  In my experience, separate orders within a few days of each other may be sent in the same box. Not really gonna hurt the environment...

My point is that it's incentivizing behavior that otw wouldn't exist.  I.e. ordering 600 tiny things to be shipped, a lot of which probably get thrown on the trash heap immediately.  And it's not just the boxes, but the manpower to load and deliver everything, the gas to ship, and the resources to produce the items.  It sounds like if this rebate didn't exist, then Poof!, all this goes away.

Skipping 29 Messages...
TCAJF said:   To check your Amazon no rush credits, use this link:  https://www.amazon.com/norushcredits
  And here is where you can see all of your credits:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_354053122_1?...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017