Amalgamated Bank $150 Checking Bonus Promotion – Available Nationwide

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.amalgamatedbank.com/colorofchange? 

Quick Take:
- Soft Pull - AFAIK
- Real DD is the only Bonus Req (within 60 days of account opening) - bonus posts within 30 days of requirement being met.
- no fees IF real DD of > or = to $1 is received during each statement period.
- Early Account Termination Fee - unknown - not mentioned.

Fine Print:
1. To qualify for this bonus of $150, you must open a Convenience+ Checking Account between April 15 and June 30, 2016, using the URL provided or by mentioning this special offer when you apply by visiting a branch, and you must set up a qualifying recurring direct deposit (including ACH credits of payroll, pension or government payments payable to you) (hereinafter "qualifying direct deposit") of $500 or more. At least one qualifying direct deposit of $500 or more must post to your account within 60 days of account opening. Once you have met these requirements, the bonus will be directly deposited into your Convenience+ Checking Account within 30 days. The value of the bonus may have to be reported to the IRS; consult your tax advisor. Offer is limited to one per customer, is subject to withdrawal at any time, and is valid only for accounts in good standing. All accounts subject to the bank's Terms and Conditions.

2. If you qualify for the $150 bonus, we will also donate $50 to the non-profit organization  above. There is no cost to you and this donation is paid fully by Amalgamated Bank. There is no substitute for this $50 donation and you cannot opt to receive it directly.

3. For Convenience+ Checking Accounts there is a $10 monthly maintenance fee that can be waived with a qualifying recurring direct deposit of any amount.
Note that a direct deposit of less than $500 will not qualify you for the $150 bonus; please see the footnote above for terms and conditions related to the bonus offer.
There is no minimum opening deposit or minimum balance requirement to maintain in the account in order to obtain the bonus stated above. The Convenience+ Checking Account is a variable tiered interest rate account.
The Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on this account works as follows: if the daily balance is $0-$499.99, the APY paid on the entire balance is 0.01%; for balances $500-$999.99, the APY paid on the entire balance is 0.05%; and for balances $1,000+, the APY paid on the entire balance is 0.10%. The APY stated is accurate as of April 15, 2016 and is subject to change at any time without notice. Fees may reduce earnings.

Disclaimer - this bank is union owned and is stridently political/acts as a fundraising bank for the progressive/democrat party. They also donate $50 to "the color of change" - a very one-sided political activist protest group on each applicant's behalf. https://www.amalgamatedbank.com/mission-values 

As always... doctor of credit has a post with comments as well:  http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amalgamated-150-checking-bonus-ava... 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
When did your original DD post? May 22?

moneytree84 (Aug. 22, 2016 @ 10:39a) |

I closed it via secure message.

collegestudent2017 (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 5:46p) |

Is this or a similar promotion still ongoing. What is the best one for a dd of under $1000 per month. Thanks.

funnybone76 (Aug. 27, 2016 @ 4:24p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

anyone knows if an ACH pull from another bank work as a DD? TIA

I love this bank, they are very well put together

Also, $500 funding allowed by visa/mastercard.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/amalgamated-150-checking-bonus-ava...

BrianGa said:   Old thread. Looks like decent experiences.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?start=120&catid=52&threadid=749722

no posters who received the bonus back then confirmed an ACH transfer as a DD; as of today, a real DD may still be required 

Don't you just hate REAL DD's?

Surprised there isn't more green.  This is an easy $150 per account...

Thanks, in for 1. Funded $500 with Chase Sapphire Preferred.

johnnybs said:   Surprised there isn't more green.  This is an easy $150 per account...
  Probably folks waiting for verification that ACH pushes satisfy the DD req

For for all of the $50 donation options see:
https://www.amalgamatedbank.com/give-back

monto888 said:   johnnybs said:   Surprised there isn't more green.  This is an easy $150 per account...
  Probably folks waiting for verification that ACH pushes satisfy the DD req

Anyone?

NEDeals said:   For for all of the $50 donation options see:
https://www.amalgamatedbank.com/give-back

The first two might be the least damaging politically.

There does not appear to be a 1 promotion per household note in the fine print - any have their spouse apply as well - result? (obviously too early for the bonus to post to know but as far as application acceptance).

glidingone said:   There does not appear to be a 1 promotion per household note in the fine print - any have their spouse apply as well - result? (obviously too early for the bonus to post to know but as far as application acceptance).

I applied for myself and my wife back to back... That was a few days ago, I haven't gotten any confirmations of account opening / login information so I'm a little worried.

justignoredem said:   glidingone said:   There does not appear to be a 1 promotion per household note in the fine print - any have their spouse apply as well - result? (obviously too early for the bonus to post to know but as far as application acceptance).

I applied for myself and my wife back to back... That was a few days ago, I haven't gotten any confirmations of account opening / login information so I'm a little worried.

I'm in the same boat. The credit card charges ford funding the accounts are still showing as pending. How long does it take for them to open an account online?

You probably need to call them. I opened a week ago, no acct # etc. They will NOT mail you anything apparently. If you didn't get an email like immediately, then you will have to call them. You may even have to chat with them and have them call you if you get the lady that just transfers you to nowhere. They will give the acct no. after you answer verification questions on the phone. I got on and my account was open like it was probably many days ago.

Called the bank and was told I'm not in the system.  They took my number and said they would call me back.  Not sure if this is worth the headache...

johnnybs said:   Called the bank and was told I'm not in the system.  They took my number and said they would call me back.  Not sure if this is worth the headache...
  I would chat with them online and not stop until they offer to call you right then. (maybe use google voice) That's what I did and I got the information. I finally got "welcome letters" last week and sure enough, no account information in there either. Real DD going in  tomorrow so we'll see if it was worth the headache!  

infogirlgeek said:   
johnnybs said:   Called the bank and was told I'm not in the system.  They took my number and said they would call me back.  Not sure if this is worth the headache...
  I would chat with them online and not stop until they offer to call you right then. (maybe use google voice) That's what I did and I got the information. I finally got "welcome letters" last week and sure enough, no account information in there either. Real DD going in  tomorrow so we'll see if it was worth the headache!  

I got an e-mail back from them stating this:

"Thank you for your recent online application for the convenience + checking account. Your application has been placed in review due to us needing to conduct additional verification. In order to open your account,=12.0pt please send a color copy of your state issued ID or driver’s license. Once I have received a copy of your ID the account will be opened within 24 hours."

Not sure I want to continue down this path, especially when it comes time to get (or ask) for the bonus and then to close the account. 

johnnybs said:   
infogirlgeek said:   

I got an e-mail back from them stating this:

"Thank you for your recent online application for the convenience + checking account. Your application has been placed in review due to us needing to conduct additional verification. In order to open your account,=12.0pt please send a color copy of your state issued ID or driver’s license. Once I have received a copy of your ID the account will be opened within 24 hours."

Not sure I want to continue down this path, especially when it comes time to get (or ask) for the bonus and then to close the account. 

what exactly are you worried this financial institution that you've already given your social security number and address to will do with the additional information of the picture of your face?

My checking account was opened May 15. I enrolled in online banking, but can't log in because they have to verify my online account or something. Called today, they say online banking is still under verification.

They said we have 60 days to set up DD in order to avoid fees.

Fidelity does not allow ach link to Amalgamated account.

DWooley said:   Fidelity does not allow ach link to Amalgamated account.
  Sure they do, I linked them via ACH and completed a push over to Amalgamated ~two weeks ago

monto888 said:   
  Sure they do, I linked them via ACH and completed a push over to Amalgamated ~two weeks ago

Then tell me how you did it.   Made numerous ach transfers from Fidelity previously but this time, I was given link to do manual wire transfer.

Watch out. I've just been told the bonus won't post until 90 days after meeting requirements. This contradicts their advertisement stating 30 days from meeting requirements. Unless it is cleared up soon, I'll be filing a complaint.

infogirlgeek said:   Watch out. I've just been told the bonus won't post until 90 days after meeting requirements. This contradicts their advertisement stating 30 days from meeting requirements. Unless it is cleared up soon, I'll be filing a complaint.
  Is the 90 day note coming from a CSR? I wouldn't worry about it, it should be automated.

Most of the bank/credit card CSRs tend to provide lots of misinformation, like how flyer miles are reneged if one cancels the card, etc.

Just checked my screencaps of the offer terms and it's just one DD, then bonus 30 days after that.

monto888 said:   
infogirlgeek said:   Watch out. I've just been told the bonus won't post until 90 days after meeting requirements. This contradicts their advertisement stating 30 days from meeting requirements. Unless it is cleared up soon, I'll be filing a complaint.
  Is the 90 day note coming from a CSR? I wouldn't worry about it, it should be automated.

Most of the bank/credit card CSRs tend to provide lots of misinformation, like how flyer miles are reneged if one cancels the card, etc.

Just checked my screencaps of the offer terms and it's just one DD, then bonus 30 days after that.

I had confirmed when the bonus should post by with a chat CSR earlier in the day. Before the end of the day, they took it upon themselves to email me and tell me "the previous information I was provided was incorrect". I've never had a bank do this. It seems less likely its automated if they're messing with it to the tune of directly emailing customers who haven't emailed them first. BOA tried pulling that stunt and I ended up with the bonus 2 months early from a complaint. All I wanted was for it to post when they said it would, and they basically had added 3 months to that time.

I received the bonus today. I guess the "investigation" was completed. It was within the 30 day time frame.

DWooley said:   
monto888 said:   

Then tell me how you did it.   Made numerous ach transfers from Fidelity previously but this time, I was given link to do manual wire transfer.

Fidelity requires the paper form sent in with a canceled check and/or statement to link to Amalgamated.
I called them to bitch about that, but didn't do any good.

infogirlgeek said:   I received the bonus today. I guess the "investigation" was completed. It was within the 30 day time frame.
  Thanks for the update

Just to clarify, the bonus was credited within 30 days after the DD?

monto888 said:   
infogirlgeek said:   I received the bonus today. I guess the "investigation" was completed. It was within the 30 day time frame.
  Thanks for the update

Just to clarify, the bonus was credited within 30 days after the DD?

Yes. For me at least, they fulfilled the offer as advertised within 30 days after the DD. It was an employer DD though too.  

Bonus posted. I had multiple sources coming from Alliant, Pendfed, NRLCU....The one that exactly 30 days ago was from Penfed. Don't know with institution counted as DD, but I didn't need real DD.

Confirmed no early closure fee. Typically I'll keep the account open at least 90 days even without one if the bank doesn't hassle me, but they hassled...

Gasp. A bank that gives you a new customer bonus AND donates to a non profit in the same quarter? This must be a dream.

moneytree84 said:   Gasp. A bank that gives you a new customer bonus AND donates to a non profit in the same quarter? This must be a dream.
  It could be. I wonder if the non profit will have to wait for an "investigation" as well?

DFW06 said:   Bonus posted. I had multiple sources coming from Alliant, Pendfed, NRLCU....The one that exactly 30 days ago was from Penfed. Don't know with institution counted as DD, but I didn't need real DD.
  In the past, brokerage accounts such as Sharebuilder have worked great for triggering DD requirements. Highly suggest using one when real DD isn't an option.

Bonus credited June 22nd - real employer DD.

No follow-up was done on my part - it was credited automatically as per their terms.

Closed account a little over 30 days-no fee to do so

Skipping 9 Messages...
Is this or a similar promotion still ongoing. What is the best one for a dd of under $1000 per month. Thanks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017